Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Can't Catch Me
05 Jan 15 23:15
| Topic/replies: 28,251 | Blogger: Can't Catch Me's blog
Why does this get soooooo much coverage?

I know Liverpool were a very good side back then, but Wimbledon had finished 6th in the top flight in 1987 and then 7th in 1988. It's always made out as if it was the biggest giant killing of all time.

At the time I do remember it felling like a gargantuan shock... But there have been much bigger ones that never seem to get the coverage.
Pause Switch to Standard View Wimbledon beating Liverpool in the FA...
Show More
Report Burton-Brewers January 5, 2015 11:30 PM GMT
I think maybe because Wimbledon had come up through all the leagues in quite a short space of time with no real history as such, was this their first ever final?
Report mafeking January 5, 2015 11:32 PM GMT
and liverpool had been absolutely magnificent that season losing only 1 game in the league. think that was the season they beat forest who finished 3rd 5-0 and it could have been 10
Report acquiesce12 January 5, 2015 11:35 PM GMT
because the back pass merchants thought they could just turn up and win, ray you never played the game houghton was moaning earlier about them hoofing the ball, 90 minutes and they couldn't score one goal, not even a penalty, deserve to lose.
Report Burton-Brewers January 5, 2015 11:35 PM GMT
I would be interested to know what odds were on offer at the time
Report freddiek January 5, 2015 11:36 PM GMT
great Liverpool side, going for the double. Wimbledon were seen as very limited team despite one or two skillful players like wise and gibson.

the penalty save has added a bit to the legend.

football was more innocent back then.

Wigan over City perhaps should qualify as more of a shock but maybe not for most people.

88 final is earliest memory for me of seeing a live football match.
Report freddiek January 5, 2015 11:37 PM GMT
liverpool had legit goal chalked off. Think was Beardsley.
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner January 5, 2015 11:51 PM GMT
Can Wise be described as a "skilful" footballer? Seems like a bit of a stretch, all I remember him doing was kicking people
Report scaredmoney January 5, 2015 11:54 PM GMT
Burton-Brewers • January 5, 2015 11:35 PM GMT
I would be interested to know what odds were on offer at the time

Wimbledon 9/2 - 5/1 pokes as i remember
Report freddiek January 5, 2015 11:57 PM GMT
well so did roy keane. but wise started off as a winger - john scales said he crossed a ball better than anyone in the League at the time - and went on to play cm for chelsea for quite a long time so he had ability, crossed it for Sanchez to head in the goal.
Report tobermory January 9, 2015 3:02 AM GMT
That Liverpool teams' superiority over the rest of the league that season was ridiculous tbf

They would probably have been odds on away to United , who finished 2nd , so losing to Wimbledon at a neutral venue was not something that had crossed anyone's mind.
Report worple12 January 9, 2015 12:12 PM GMT
I lived in Wimbledon then and got 40/1 from Corals in early JanThey were flagged up by a man called Cotomn
Report worple12 January 9, 2015 12:15 PM GMT
I lived in Wimbledon then and took the tip from a man called Coton in the RP.He said,in early Jan that they were
Report worple12 January 9, 2015 12:17 PM GMT
Coton gave them as the value bet in the RP.
Report worple12 January 9, 2015 12:18 PM GMT
the value bet
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com