Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tommo0001
04 Jun 14 20:50
| Topic/replies: 2,075 | Blogger: tommo0001's blog
not including the cartoon hardness of Vinnie jones or roy keane who is the hardest player you ever saw

iv`e gone for billy Whitehurst,much travelled striker who had loads of clubs because even his team mates were terrified of him
Pause Switch to Standard View hardest british footballer
Show More
Report Bergkamp93 June 4, 2014 11:06 PM BST
ah posted the wrong one there....but there is a video in there were he comite GBH every 2 seconds hah
Report akabula June 4, 2014 11:12 PM BST
I did Bergkanp and I've also met him. It was on the golf course and he was really good to talk to.
The first thing he did when he made it was buy his parents a bungalow on the outskirts of Stirling. He also bought his dad a bmw with private plates.
He is actually one of the food guys if a bit daft at times.
Report akabula June 4, 2014 11:13 PM BST
For food read good Laugh
Report adebola June 4, 2014 11:17 PM BST
ooer,he come the pacifist,sky tv invented football brigade

Opposite really  followed the blues with Harford  Blake  Coton  Hopkins  and so on, so called hard men still got us relegated tho, perhaps they should have tried a bit harder at controlling the fecking ball!
Report Poppydog. June 4, 2014 11:32 PM BST
We probably have no idea who the top 10 hardest footballers were/are,
because they never had the need for displays of uncontrollable violence
Report Bergkamp93 June 4, 2014 11:33 PM BST

Jun 4, 2014 -- 5:12PM, akabula wrote:

I did Bergkanp and I've also met him. It was on the golf course and he was really good to talk to.The first thing he did when he made it was buy his parents a bungalow on the outskirts of Stirling. He also bought his dad a bmw with private plates. He is actually one of the food guys if a bit daft at times.

Nice one, Even though he was a bit of a Maverick on the Pitch...He does seem a likeable chap ..Fair play to him looking after his Parents !!

So who won the GolfGrin

Report Geesyerdosh June 4, 2014 11:34 PM BST
How he got the jail was an absolute travesty. Definitely more than justice at play there.
Report akabula June 4, 2014 11:36 PM BST
He's fair player. I was caddying for my mate. I love the game but chit at it Sad
Report akabula June 4, 2014 11:38 PM BST
Agreed Geesyerdosh. That incident and the lack of support from the scottish football authorities completely sickened him.
Report Bergkamp93 June 4, 2014 11:44 PM BST
Ah I see Aka, yeah I am useless myself, But I do like a bit of the driving range now and again Cool

Yeah defs need more players like Ferguson ...He was a machine in the air ..He rose like a Salmon Laugh
Report Northofperth June 5, 2014 12:01 AM BST
One of the most often repeated falsehoods in Scottish Football ; Duncan Ferguson was jailed for a head butt on John McStay .NO HE WASN'T . It was for a Breach of Bail , a serious offence that might get you 6 months inside . It's the getting arrested/into trouble that is more serious than the offence whilst on Bail ( in most cases )
Report akabula June 5, 2014 12:09 AM BST
What was the breach of bail? Incidental really as he should never have been charged in the first place.
Report Darlo Bantam June 5, 2014 12:14 AM BST
Chuck in

Dave Mackay
Iwan Roberts
Tommy Tynan
Norman Hunter
Report JOCI Club June 5, 2014 12:26 AM BST
Denis Smith
Report eyeball June 5, 2014 12:32 AM BST
Tommy Smith
Report Johnny_Mustang June 5, 2014 8:11 AM BST
Perry Groves. Nap.
Report attitude adjuster June 5, 2014 9:25 AM BST
If it was proportionate to size...Billy Bremner or Johnny Giles.
Report GAZO June 5, 2014 10:44 AM BST
is mick harford reputation for things on or off the pitch?
Report Thin and Crispy June 5, 2014 11:04 AM BST
Report dizzydavid1 June 5, 2014 11:11 AM BST
Curtis Woodhouse has to be up there, he won 20 fights as a pro boxer and was the British light welterweight champion. How many of the players mentioned in this thread would have walked away the winner in a one on one fight with him?
Report Blackrock June 5, 2014 11:37 AM BST
Difference between being hard and being dirty.
Hardest i saw was Peter Storey. Dave Mackay is a good call as well.

Dirtiest would be Chopper.
Report Johnny_Mustang June 5, 2014 11:49 AM BST
In a similar vein to what Blackrock just mentioned, who was the guy I think played for Notts Forest in the 80s, might have had a moustache. Utter dirty b*stard he was.
Report Johnny_Mustang June 5, 2014 11:49 AM BST
Christian name might have been Kenny?
Report Blackrock June 5, 2014 11:50 AM BST
Kenny Burns????
Report Johnny_Mustang June 5, 2014 11:52 AM BST
That's him Blackrock, thanks.
Report PugMunter1 June 5, 2014 12:08 PM BST
terry hurlock
Report Tonyface June 5, 2014 12:13 PM BST
Jsck Charlton - had his little black book, and made a film once of how to stop other players.

Classics ahead of his time, standing on a strikers foot, whilst a corner was being taken. Pulling down on their shirt holding them to the ground. Knee in the back of their knee, to make them buckle over. Poke them in the eye occidentally when challenging for a cross. Kick them in the ankle bone (unguarded by shin pads). Etc etc.

World Cup winner, and took EIRE to the last 8.
Report Roker_Park June 5, 2014 12:15 PM BST
Kevin Ball - First time I met him he nearly broke my hand when I shook his hand.
Report Capt__F June 5, 2014 12:38 PM BST
Graham le saux
Report jed.davison June 5, 2014 12:50 PM BST
Pat van den Hauwe. Not sure how physically hard he was, but he was totally psychotic.
Report Marcce June 5, 2014 2:08 PM BST
Chuck in

Dave Mackay
Iwan Roberts
Tommy Tynan
Norman Hunter

Old Norman didn't look too hard this day Laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALdVum0xEk

A player who won't get a mention anywhere is Andy Myers. Keane found that out in a dust up in the Old Trafford tunnel in the late 90's. Myers hadn't earned the changing room nickname of Tyson for nothing.
Report inner city sumo June 5, 2014 5:06 PM BST
Zander Diamond

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness
Report mesmerised June 5, 2014 5:16 PM BST
Duncan Ferguson looked a real hard nut, doubt any player from the past would have got got on the wrong side of him
Report Northofperth June 5, 2014 6:01 PM BST
Regards my earlier post about Duncan Ferguson , I was wrong to say that he was on Bail , he wasn't . But he was on a years probation , and he had 4 convictions for ; Breach O.T.P. , Driving Under Influence and Assault ( twice ). So although you could say he was jailed for the "head butt" , the fact that he had previous convictions and was on probation made the case very unusual .
Anyway , apologies for my inaccuracies earlier .
Report Mr Spock June 5, 2014 7:51 PM BST
Big Dunc also knocked f00k out of 2 burglars, not heard of any other player doing that.
Report breadnbutter June 5, 2014 8:26 PM BST
northy getting his knickers in a twist about the famous (has previous),put your teeth back in and calm down son .Big dunc toughened up in bar L and it prob done him a favour ,pitty the cops had not got involved in onfield incidents before or even since but they had not ,as you say they picked on him because of his previous .That should only come into it when it comes to sentencing ,should have nothing to do with who gets charged with what ,thats not how  legal process should work .

prosecuting someone based on previous crimes is called a witch hunt ,get back to your knitting son .
Report dizzydavid1 June 5, 2014 9:15 PM BST
"Big Dunc also knocked f00k out of 2 burglars, not heard of any other player doing that"

^^^^^^^^^ That's nothing, Curtis Woodhouse knocked out 13 professional boxers, he'd have had big Dunc on the deck before he knew what hit him.
Report Robin Wonder June 5, 2014 9:25 PM BST
Not a Tranmere supporter but I recall Gerry Casey having a reputation
Report G Hall June 5, 2014 9:39 PM BST
Johnny Giles was quite hard I believe for a skilful player.
Report G Hall June 5, 2014 9:40 PM BST
also the 1978 world cup Italy had some hard cases gentile,scirea,and romeo bonetti iirc.
Report attitude adjuster June 5, 2014 10:35 PM BST
who was the argie with the beard in 1990 world cup?

didn't last long in the final iirc.
Report tommo0001 June 5, 2014 11:05 PM BST
sergio batista I think,was watching a world cup film of 1990 recently and had to laugh at the dirty cameroonies,especially that assault on Claudio cannigia in the opening game
Report eyeball June 5, 2014 11:08 PM BST
norman hunter my @rse watch fancis lee take him out...proper tear up not like the fairies on the pitch now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kxMnc5KUs
Report 11kv June 5, 2014 11:09 PM BST
Mark Dennis
Report iprefertolay June 5, 2014 11:24 PM BST
Chooper Ron Harris, Tommy Smith
Harriss kicked Eddie Gray off the pitch in the 70s FA Cup Final and Leeds where widely regarded as dirty!
Report lybertyne June 6, 2014 1:24 PM BST
Robbie Keane.
Report terry mccann June 6, 2014 4:35 PM BST
all p ussies compaired to nobby styles or chopper harris
Report attitude adjuster June 6, 2014 4:53 PM BST
thx tommo Happy
Report LucianoBettio June 6, 2014 5:01 PM BST
Andy Morrison
Report charwell. June 6, 2014 6:27 PM BST
Tommy Smith - quarried not born.
Report nomiskroy June 6, 2014 8:40 PM BST
Julian Dicks - West Ham - bit of a fruit cake.
Report raspberrybottom June 7, 2014 8:58 AM BST
Julian's brother, Grantley, played for Bath City

in the Conference made Julian look like a right ballet dancer.
Report Tony Broke June 7, 2014 9:13 AM BST
jimmy case.once knocked 'jumbo' jan molby about 10ft into the air and did his usual grin afterwards.
Report attitude adjuster June 7, 2014 9:14 AM BST
stuart pearce deserves a mention.
Report efisio. June 7, 2014 9:29 AM BST
Pat Nevin doesn't.
Report themuppet June 7, 2014 9:50 AM BST
John Hartson
Report The Bhoys June 7, 2014 1:57 PM BST
Is this without a joey barton market?
Report donkeyd June 7, 2014 4:53 PM BST
gerry taggert
Report jermaine defonebox June 7, 2014 5:45 PM BST
Theo Walcott
Report Darlo Bantam June 7, 2014 6:40 PM BST
Zander Diamond.
Report get in there gamsty! June 7, 2014 6:51 PM BST
Colin Hendry - his face says it all. the only player i've seen dive headfirst into a goalmouth scramble with to get the ball away. a proper hard man who didnt have to act it to prove it.
Report PBK June 7, 2014 7:59 PM BST
Ron Harris "Chopper, Chopper do your job" saw him outside Old Trafford a few years ago I asked how long would he last in today's modern game his reply was "Doubt if I'd make it through the warm up" Laugh Happy days when we where sh!t !!!!!!!!!
Report lybertyne June 7, 2014 8:01 PM BST
Report PBK June 7, 2014 8:03 PM BST
Laugh Maybe he was just pleased to see the crowd !
Report itslikewatchingbrazil June 7, 2014 8:16 PM BST
Gerry Gow
Report terry mccann June 7, 2014 8:44 PM BST
dave mckay was very very hard,i remember when he had billy bremner begging for mercy
Report bristol county caravans June 7, 2014 9:45 PM BST
Gow is a great shout and Steve Galliers. Barry Hayles was a tough lad.
Report irishone June 7, 2014 9:56 PM BST
Maurice norman .... broken leg, tucked the bone back in his sock....played on
Report martin_593114 June 7, 2014 10:16 PM BST
How would any of these reacted to a game being suspended for a bit f lightening FFS
Report dixie June 7, 2014 10:26 PM BST
Maurice Norman's team mate, John White, was killed by lightning.
Report themightymac June 9, 2014 5:31 PM BST
Dave McKay and Nobbie Stiles
Report black shuck June 9, 2014 8:42 PM BST
trevor hockey
Report RLKingPunter June 9, 2014 9:21 PM BST
brian kilcline looked a bit handy
Report mr crisp June 9, 2014 11:44 PM BST
as a long standing Newcastle supporter jimmy scoular and big john McNamee are two i would put forward
Report ian merseyside June 10, 2014 3:56 PM BST
Gentile (played for Italy in 1982 World Cup).  Very inappropriately named and I always remember one of the commentators joking that he shaved using a blow torch! Grin
Report mr crisp June 10, 2014 5:45 PM BST
I think your getting mixed up with desperate Dan out of the beano ian

he shaved with a blow lamp and eat cow pies where the horns were  sticking through the pastry Happy
Report Tony Broke June 10, 2014 7:07 PM BST
memorable exceptions.
norman whiteside as hard as they come.

Cantona, neill ruddick, after putting up cantona's collar as a joke was scared of him after frenchman wanted to fight him to the death!

that insane partick thistle player ive forgotten the name of

souness!
Report starfish and coffee June 10, 2014 7:26 PM BST
"that insane partick thistle player ive forgotten the name of"

Chick Charnley?
Report Tony Broke June 10, 2014 7:30 PM BST
yes him!
Report stickyvicky June 10, 2014 11:09 PM BST
Who was that QPR nutjob from the 80's that had the pit bull terriers,sent off about 11 times ?
Report akabula June 10, 2014 11:22 PM BST
I was at Ibrox when Chic Charnley, then with Hamilton, tried 'to do' the late and great Davie Cooper.
He chased Cooper all over the pitch but Davie used his skills to avoid injury and even managed to nutmeg Charnley a few times to enrage him even more.
Lambie was the Hamilton manager and he was screaming at Charnley to keep in position and stop following Davie but Charnley was seeing red by now and didn't listen.
He was eventually substituted when he made a lunge on Davie who sidestepped away leaving Charnley in a heap and all the Rangers supporters laughing the place down.
I think this was a cup game and I'm sure it ended 4-1 to Rangers.
Report Capt__F June 11, 2014 12:17 AM BST
Mark denis qpr ?
Report iamajambo June 11, 2014 5:29 PM BST
The worst thugs that I've seen all played for the Huns:Hurlock,Gattuso and Sourmess.Angry
Report judzis007 June 11, 2014 5:38 PM BST
Thomas Hitzlsperger always hard behind you
Report The Bhoys June 11, 2014 5:43 PM BST
Laugh
Report Tony Broke June 11, 2014 6:30 PM BST
stan collymore too, once stood up to vinny jones and jones realised hed met his match
Report unclepuncle June 11, 2014 6:32 PM BST
Tommy Smith (nap)
Report Unique19 June 11, 2014 6:38 PM BST
Curtis Woodhouse, without question.
Report iprefertolay June 11, 2014 6:39 PM BST
Top 3,Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris,Souness
Report Unique19 June 11, 2014 6:42 PM BST
Curtis woodhouse would have them with his pinky.
Report Tony Broke June 11, 2014 8:14 PM BST
and keep your chest away from zidane.
Report Tony Broke June 11, 2014 8:35 PM BST
ok i have the offical hardest footballer of all time in any country..Joe Louis, one of the greatest heavyweight boxers ever, once toured the uk and signed on for liverpool fc, and even did a training exercise with them. so there you have it.
Report Tony Broke June 11, 2014 8:35 PM BST
..tho i know he wasnt british..just thought it was an interesting story, didnt even know myself.
Report Alias June 11, 2014 8:45 PM BST
Remember the guy for Athletic Bilbao Andoni Goikoetxea ??

He wasn't hard, he was just plain DIRTY. You can see the "tackle" on Maradona on youtube.

Whenever this kind of thread pops up, I KEEP telling you all the answer. Already mentioned by a couple, there is only one:

MacKay, David.
Report Unique19 June 11, 2014 8:46 PM BST
also forgot to mention Lee Bowyer, he was a bit of a hardnut when he played for Newcastle.
Report The Bhoys June 11, 2014 8:52 PM BST
Bowyer LaughLaughLaugh
Report stickyvicky June 12, 2014 10:51 AM BST
Correct Capt F above ^^, Googled him and he was called 'Psycho' ten years before even Stuart Pearse was around Laugh
Report sofiakenny June 12, 2014 1:20 PM BST
coming back off of an injury tommy smith had a run out for pool reserves v spurs reserves.
start of match he faces up to spurs 17 yr old left winger and says.."go past me once and i will break yer f**kn leg"...early on the young winger rounds smith only to be sent spiralling through the air and landing in a heap..."thats yer one and only warning son next time i will break yer leg" says smith....a few minutes later smith is ushering the ball out for a goal kick and he is sent flying through the air and lands painfully on his back...standing over smith with hands on hips the 17 year old winger says..."bye the way my name is Graeme Souness.Laugh
Report martin_593114 June 12, 2014 6:40 PM BST
Unique 19, where have you been hiding. Not seen you for years! Self exclusion up Laugh?
Report Glasgow Brian June 12, 2014 7:02 PM BST
Tommy Smith was more like a thug , an absolute shoite footballer imo .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com