Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
23 Mar 14 16:05
| Topic/replies: 28,959 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
Over 4.5.
Pause Switch to Standard View **Real Madrid v Barcelona**
Show More
Report JamDav1982 March 23, 2014 10:12 PM GMT

Mar 23, 2014 -- 5:10PM, okeydokey wrote:

JamDav....maybe in time but not at this moment

For a lot of people they already have Messi as the greatest ever now.

The only thing Maradona has over Messi is the world cup.

Report Hamsterdam March 23, 2014 10:14 PM GMT
Atletico have Bilao away next weekend too...that's going to be trick to say the least.

Barca faves, Atletico 2nd faves. (Haven't looked at market but probably has Real 2nd).
Report n88uk March 23, 2014 10:15 PM GMT

Mar 23, 2014 -- 5:07PM, Hamsterdam wrote:

If Atletico win all their reamining 9 games they win the title.If Barcelona win all their matches they win the title.Real Madrid have Sevilla away midweek!

If Barcelona will all their matches and Real Madrid also win all their matches, Real Madrid win the title.

Report okeydokey March 23, 2014 10:15 PM GMT
Excellent reply Egner, don't get me wrong I think Messi is a genius, up there with the very, very best.
My argument is that he has had the very best around him as well. Barca 3 or 4 years ago were the best team
I've ever seen. Messi was a cog ( the very best cog ) in that team.
Maradonna took 2 teams , Argentina and Napoli, who had good players, not great, and carried them to World Cup and league title
virtually on hos own ( yes I know that isnt strictly correct, you need 10 other players )
Report okeydokey March 23, 2014 10:17 PM GMT
As above Jamdav
Report Hamsterdam March 23, 2014 10:18 PM GMT
Oh yeah... so only Atletico have their fate in their own hands...just looked at the market Shocked
punters still not having it...only 9 games to go!
Report brain dead jockeys March 23, 2014 10:18 PM GMT
i hope messi stays at barca for rest of his career..............only a dumb move to some oligarch run club in england or italy would stop him from breaking every goal scoring record in existance
Report JamDav1982 March 23, 2014 10:20 PM GMT

Mar 23, 2014 -- 5:15PM, okeydokey wrote:

Excellent reply Egner, don't get me wrong I think Messi is a genius, up there with the very, very best.My argument is that he has had the very best around him as well. Barca 3 or 4 years ago were the best teamI've ever seen. Messi was a cog ( the very best cog ) in that team.Maradonna took 2 teams , Argentina and Napoli, who had good players, not great, and carried them to World Cup and league titlevirtually on hos own ( yes I know that isnt strictly correct, you need 10 other players )

It is a total myth that he carried poor Argentina and Napoli teams single handedly to success.

Napoli at that time were one of the biggest spenders in world football and built a whole new team around Maradona. Going out and getting the players Maradona requested.

Argentina as well had a good squad. The majority of their players were from the Argentina teams that were dominating south american football at that time.

The idea that Maradona took hold of poor/average squads and took them to success is a myth. He was their best player.

Report brain dead jockeys March 23, 2014 10:21 PM GMT
maradonna never won the european cup. the european cup is of greater quality than the world cup.
it makes me laugh when people say messi has great players around him...............BELITTLING A GUY WHO AVERAGES 50 GOALS A SEASON..................IT IS THE OTHER BARCA PLAYERS WHO HAVE MESSI..............HE IS TRULY THE ONE.
Report okeydokey March 23, 2014 10:23 PM GMT
Ok your right, I am totally wrong about everything ( what youv'e typed is actually a pile of cr@p )
Report JamDav1982 March 23, 2014 10:25 PM GMT

Mar 23, 2014 -- 5:23PM, okeydokey wrote:

Ok your right, I am totally wrong about everything ( what youv'e typed is actually a pile of cr@p )

Point out what is cr4p then.

Report Captain Christy March 23, 2014 10:30 PM GMT
Don't get him onto Maradona ffs
Report egner March 23, 2014 11:00 PM GMT
...well...I can see both sides.....

Maradonna was a great...no doubt....and the mental strength he had to show to lead the sides he was part of to wins and trophies with all the expectation he had to carry was amazing...as well as do that and keep up his own form.....and as you say he didn't have Iniesta..Xavi...etc..

Messi is also a great...no doubt...and has also had to show mental strength while being the talisman for a team...

..but for me...what trumps winning or losing matches and trophies is redefining the limits of how a particular sport can be played in a positive way...

(I guess the other example would be Puskas and Hungary in the 1950's especially when they put us to the sword)

...and as I stated for me he was crucial in raising it to an art form when Barcelona were at their height....

..and I cherish that over winning or losing or even just taking part any day.
Report miscreant man March 23, 2014 11:05 PM GMT
Messi for me over Maradonna. the pass for Neymar the reason why, not mentioned on this thread but fantastic vision and weight of pass.

He slotted 3 and made the first,too. Brilliant !
Report The Bhoys March 23, 2014 11:23 PM GMT
Without messi that barca team would struggle to get in champs league imo, certainly wudnt b challanging for the league, the lad is a fu cking magician, set up the first, played neymar twice 1 he should have burried and the other won a pen and scored a hatrick,
Report brain dead jockeys March 23, 2014 11:35 PM GMT
hes teh greatest club player ever by a country mile...............if he could score 5 or 6 goals and guide argie to victory his GOAT status is sealed
Report notwhatwho March 23, 2014 11:47 PM GMT
the greatest player ever.
Report geordie1956 March 23, 2014 11:55 PM GMT
There is one reason why neither Maradona or Messi can be considered the best - Pele
Report brain dead jockeys March 23, 2014 11:58 PM GMT
there is no player in history who would do what messi has been doing for past 5 years at barca...................no way
Report notwhatwho March 24, 2014 12:02 AM GMT
consistency since he stepped onto the nou camp pitch
Report The Bhoys March 24, 2014 12:04 AM GMT
quite stageering indeed, his form did drop a bit after the injury but hes only humn, altho ronaldo did deserve bal on dor last year
Report ;[p March 24, 2014 1:40 AM GMT
well done mess good thinkigCool funny how mugs on telly was saying 4 days ago how crissy is 2 streets ahead of anyone including messi ,nothing like footy experts punditsHappy
Report ;[p March 24, 2014 2:28 AM GMT

Mar 23, 2014 -- 6:55PM, geordie1956 wrote:

There is one reason why neither Maradona or Messi can be considered the best - Pele

wonder how pele would fit into strict tactical european game.usually most brazilian flashy players who play up front cant cope with it on regular basics ,Argies are usually tactically aware and fit into euro game and mentality easily,you had ronaldo ronaldinho rivaldo romario kaka and maybe robinho neymar  at the sort of similar shelf as messi recently ,of those maybe apart of kaka or rivaldo rest were on the top only due their natural brilliance when kept top form (but reasonably short period of time against their pure talent and ability),but after those got into trouble in their respective careers(for random reasons) found it difficult  to comeback and restore previous level even just reaching mature and best for footballer age .they found it much easier in south america to restore but in much lesser competitive physically and tactically environment. it rise the question of skills their represented outside individual technique like tactical awareness physical strength etc,which is proven to be needed in all around teamwork european football.pele did not even play in this level of football and comparing him to other brazilian super talents pattern of recent times it raise question if he could cope with that trought long footballer  career.maybe he would of course,but we dont really know. messi already had some setback and he comeback strong to his level,most brazilians i mentioned couldnt. ronaldo was great player for sure ronaldinho as well but messi or crissy career is not build on few years spell of brilliance  but on constant work improvement and desire to get even better and that is what characterise somebody who we could name best (or one of) within echelon of great talents this sport witnessed

and that is the reason messi or crissy should be considered as the best players of those who played football all time. im sure both of those will have very lengthy careers in europe sort of giggs have(not utd fan but he should be considered with greats as well due to his workrate on the top of the talent). can see easily both playing till 38-40 and be successful ,even if facing major injuries in future,those are fully dedicated to achieve more than earn wealth and show up skills,these are winners. shame that ronaldo lima or ronaldinho couldnt find this desire and work rate because were similar talents.maybe pele was as well but fact is those two(and suarez is similar) are proving it actually by their careers and history their creating constantly

Report brain dead jockeys March 24, 2014 3:00 AM GMT
please do not mention the word robinho in same breath as others.............he is the epitome of the modern day overrated parasite.............making a fortune while doing nothing............he was a disgrace at man city and at AC milan he is a joke.
Report ;[p March 24, 2014 4:44 AM GMT
Grin yes he is drastic example of usual brazilian mentality of superstar, he was blessed by pele as his successor when young had promising spells in real but mainly at the beginning and the pattern copied  in following clubs, great at start then reality hit him and probably had no desire to work hard,epitaph of what i said about brazil mega talents.atm hes barely 30 mind you,so should be at peak but typical mentality didnt let him cope with some normal for most sportsmen setbacks. fine example. also included neymar he is sort of beginning his european tour but u can see already he will need to work hard and maintain it to became as successful as his brazil reputation,hopefully he will be exemption of usual case and reality will only make him better
Report ;[p March 24, 2014 4:59 AM GMT
maybe i went to harsh on ronaldo da lima but in later stages of his career which included some major injuries tbf, got feeling he dedicated himself much more to perform on national team level than in clubs,he was still very effective
but played limited number of matches and could easily grab best all time player nomination with bit of more dedication and effort imo
Report ;[p March 24, 2014 5:01 AM GMT
and overweight and much slower while still 30
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 2:11 PM GMT
How many people here have actually seen Pele play? I doubt back in the day, t he 50's, 60's and 70's that UK TV showed any Santos games, the only club he played for, so t he the only time you would have seen him would have been at the World Cups? I don't know how a player can be called the GOAT based on about 20 matches,

Maradona, before my time as well but I remember Linekar saying once he saw him pre match kicking the ball into the air as high as he possibly could and never moved more that 5 yards from the spot, it came back down and he kicked it straight back up - 20 times, try doing that more than twice over the park, you wont be able to.Grin

Bot Messi and Maradona have the advantage over Ronaldo because of their diminutive stature, having a low centre of gravity enables you to stay more balanced when dribbling at speed, and dribbling at speed through a defence and scoring at the end is what blows people away, whereas Ronaldo appears more of flat track bully, but anyone that watches him knows he gives much more than that.

'Ibra' could only dream to be of that class.
Report The Bhoys March 24, 2014 2:20 PM GMT
mes, r u going to tell us who is the best?
Report geordie1956 March 24, 2014 2:21 PM GMT
I regard Pele as the best admittedly from limited knowledge and viewings and observations from those who played with and against him but my opinion is somewhat reinforced by someone who considers Wilshere is World Class - he is about as far away from being a footballer in terms of comparable ability to Pele as it is possible to be
Report duffy March 24, 2014 2:28 PM GMT
Pele was pretty good in escape to victory...better than john wark ans russell osman anyway.
Report high_lander March 24, 2014 2:32 PM GMT
What a game of football. I'm watching it again on Sky right now.

Barca for the CL now! Grin
Report The Bhoys March 24, 2014 2:45 PM GMT
Barca r to dodgy at the back to win chmps lge
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 3:20 PM GMT
Bhoys

In my lifetime,

Henry
Bergkamp
Ronaldinho
Messi
Scholes
Raul
Both Ronaldo's
Zola
Gerrard
Pires
Figo
Vieria

And Hagi deserves a mention, looked a class apart every time I saw him play, but not often enough, Wilshere will be in this bracket by the time his career is finished.
Report high_lander March 24, 2014 3:23 PM GMT
The Boys "Barca r to dodgy at the back to win chmps lge"

Then they'll just have to score more goals than the opposition Happy

I like the new Barca. This new style of play is far better than Gladiola's choking the opposition in their own box. Which unfortunately I am starting to see at Bayern now. Can't stand that style of football.
Report The Bhoys March 24, 2014 3:42 PM GMT
Quite a list mes, i actually like that style of play, it amazing how they keep the ball, and its effective tho i must say bayern were better last year imo
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 4:11 PM GMT
Exactly highlander, glad you recognise what boring football the myth 'Pep' gets his teams to play. Biggest myth in football.
Report high_lander March 24, 2014 5:14 PM GMT
I'm not a fan of the Pep footballing style at all. He does have nice suits though.

Plays the game in the opposition's box. It's percentage football really. If you play a large chunk of the game in your opponents box, with the football pinging around in there like a giant game of pinball, the chances of it ending up in the net are pretty high. Either that or it goes out for a corner or a goal kick. It's quite clever but is begging to be Catenaccio'd. Like Chelsea did for example.

Not my idea of the beautiful game that's for sure.
Report brain dead jockeys March 24, 2014 5:37 PM GMT
maradonnas greatness is based on two games.....................q final v england and semi v belgium..............wonderland perfromances...........he had a very good career at napoli also, but nowhere near anything messi has done at barcelona...............its not even close
Report The Bhoys March 24, 2014 5:48 PM GMT
Messi is the best player ive ever witnessed and ronaldhino is 2nd but ive never seen maradona or pele
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 6:11 PM GMT
Didn't Maradonna win the league title twice with a small club(at the time) in Napoli when AC milan were ruling the roost at home and Europe ?
Report Meadow X1 March 24, 2014 6:36 PM GMT
Mesmerised,

For goodness sake, wake up!  Apart from you considering Wilshere as England's best, both now and in the future, you list a group of best ever players that contains a stack of Arsenal players.  Let's try and be realistic and unbiased here.
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 6:43 PM GMT
In terms of pure natural talent, Wilshere IS England best current player when fully fit and in form, unfortunately he has been hampered by a succession of injuries which has naturally held him back, you will see what I mean when he gets comes back and stays free from these niggles and injuries for any sustained period of time. He is pure class.

Also, where did I "best ever"Confused you must of missed the part where I actually said "in my lifetime" I am in my twenties hence the the players listed being from the last 15 years. And they are the best I have seen, name me better players than those 13 in the last 15 years or so? It's subjective anyway, obviously I've seen more of Arsenal players than any other player from any other club so I am a better judge of them, but most would not have the likes of Henry or Bergkamp or Pires out of there top 20 in recent years, if they do they are clueless, those three were world beaters in their day.
Report Meadow X1 March 24, 2014 6:54 PM GMT
Well,

I stand partly corrected on the best ever front.  You are a relatively young guy but I thought you nay have found your way to place a certain Uruguayan striker somewhere in your team.

Your obsession with Wilshere is ill judged.
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 7:02 PM GMT
Liverpool fan are with MeadowWink

I had Gerrard in there, and every player  bar 3 long term established players listed has now retired, that's the best way too judge them in a any best of category, Suarez is on his way into everybody's list but he has too do it in the Champions League before he is ranked alongside these greats.
Report Meadow X1 March 24, 2014 7:20 PM GMT
I am not a Liverpool fan.  I am not biased either.
Report BARNEY21. March 24, 2014 7:25 PM GMT
I don,t know why people are still looking to downplay Messi ffs his level of consistency at the highest level is unbelievable,his 2 passes to Iniesta/Neymar were terrific especially the one to Neymar.
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 7:46 PM GMT
Your obsession with Wilshere is ill judged.

Not an obsession, everybody is quick to put him down because they don't like his character, and if he got lippy to me outside of a club I wouldn't think twice about putting him in his place, but as  a player - top drawer.
Report Meadow X1 March 24, 2014 8:00 PM GMT
Mesmerised,

Top class players are judged on the highest stage.  As far as Wilshere is concerned, his best chance in the forseeable future is in the World Cup.

Roy has to decide on his final squad.  He will almost certainly take players that are presumably fully fit, consistent and will run all day,working together as a team until they drop.  Wilshere does not come into this category.

He may make the squad, but the fact that you are singing his praises as a great on a World level is complete nonsense.
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 8:12 PM GMT
Roy has to decide on his final squad.  He will almost certainly take players that are presumably
-fully fit,
-consistent
-will run all day,
-working together as a team until they drop. 
-Wilshere does not come into this category.

He picked Ashley Cole as a started against Denmark and he's hardly had a kick all season, Roy will pick his favourites, the way all England managers do. Wilshere will be back 2nd week of April, 2 whole months before the first World Cup game, and will be fresher than any other player in the squad bar Cole, but he doesn't have youth on his side, I doubt any England player will be running all day  in the Amazon heat and he always plays players in rather than try and be greedy.
Report brain dead jockeys March 24, 2014 8:29 PM GMT
messi scored 73 goals in one season...............................73 guys.............maradonna scored 115 in his 8 years at napoli.
Report Meadow X1 March 24, 2014 8:47 PM GMT
Brain dead jockeys spot on here.  Messi is simply World class.

For someone to think that Wilshere can compete against players of the level of Messi is completely bizarre.
Report brain dead jockeys March 24, 2014 9:03 PM GMT
messi has already won 3 euro cups..............there will be another 3 at least. he will break every european goal scoring record in existance, domestically and in champs league. maradonna never did anything like this in club football.
all messi needs is a good world cup, score a few dazzlers and argies to win...............and its a done deal. hes teh greatest. dont forget lads, hes only 26, same age as diego when he dazzled the world in 1986.
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 9:18 PM GMT
Meadow, I don't think your reading skills are very good, second time today you've misquoted me completely, first was the greatest of all time quote when I said of my lifetime, which is short and now you're saying I think Wilshere can compete with Messi? When and where have I compared him to Messi, I will spell it out, Wilshere when fully fit and on his game has the potential to be one of the best players of his generation, in terms of natural talent, he is the best English player we have.

Brain Dead Jockeys, I would hazard a guess, the renowned defensive Seria A, esp back then, was a lot harder to score goals in that the defensively lax La Liga, which it is from all the games I watch on Sky, not to mention the fact that the players surrounding Messi are probably a lot better than the ones that surrounded Maradona. Looking at the league table in 1990 on wiki, the team that conceded the most goals at the end of the Serie A season let in 51 goals, there are about 4 teams in La Liga now who have conceded more that that after 29 games. Looking at the F and A column, Seria A back then looked very tight, how many goals would Messi have scored in that Napoli team?
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 9:20 PM GMT
Not the best - one of the best, which doesn't mean competing with Messi, you can't compare the two, you can compare him to Xavi and Iniesta.
Report brain dead jockeys March 24, 2014 9:24 PM GMT
messi would score an average of 25 league goals minimum every season in seria back then.
i have no doubt about this.
the thing people dont understand about diego is that he was a chronic cocaine addict for most of his career. his career peaked in 1986 but i reckon after that euphoria he went mad on teh drugs. at napoli he was never fully fit and was not as dedicated as messi. if he didnt have the drugs and bad attitude problesm, he would have score a lot more goals at napoli. people see what he did in 1986 and say yeah hes teh greatest.............he never played like this at napoli. the guy was a bad pro. if he had messi's professionalism, his career would have been off teh charts in the same way that messi's is. an inform maradonna and messi can score goals at will in any league in any era.....................diego wasnt up for it, thats why he didnt do it.
Report Meadow X1 March 24, 2014 9:26 PM GMT
Mesmerised,

Where do you live?  It's simply so I can give you directions to your nearest B&Q so you can select a bigger spade.
Report The Bhoys March 24, 2014 9:26 PM GMT
Brian dead i love messi and barca but i fail to see wer these 3 more european cups come from unless he moves clubs, no way in he ll barca can dominate that much
Report mesmerised March 24, 2014 9:35 PM GMT
I will be proved right, then, can I have your address so I can send you a big slice of humble pieLaugh
Report Meadow X1 March 24, 2014 9:38 PM GMT
Mesmerised,

More than happy to use a Desperate Dan spoon (or your B&Q spade) to devour an enormous portion of humble pie if I am wrong.
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 1:33 PM GMT
How much goals would Messi score if he wasn't playing for the best attacking team in the world? A team consisting of pretty much the best players in the world in their respective positions. Napoli did not have anything like the depth of talent that Barca have, plus they played in a far more competitive and defensively minded league. Basically Maradona  was a miracle worker, he could take fairly average sides, like Argentina and Napoli, and turn them into world beaters. Messi could not do that in my opinion. I don't think it's even close. Maradona was much better than Messi.
Report mesmerised March 25, 2014 1:43 PM GMT
When Messi wins a World Cup in an Argentinian side that has players not on the same level as Barcelona, then he can be compared to what Maradonna did.
Report The Bhoys March 25, 2014 1:46 PM GMT
i dont think barca r the best attacking side anymore and havnt been for a few years, plus messi finnishes each year as the highest assist taker and top scorer, so i think ur clutching at straws there, i think madrid and bayern have more attacking threat now than barca, but if u take messi out they no bettr than aresnal imo
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 1:50 PM GMT
Messi is only about 60% the player Maradona was... sorry.
Report BARNEY21. March 25, 2014 3:01 PM GMT
I think you are way wide of the mark high-lander regardless of the stats cos we can fashion what we want from them regardless of Messi.s team mates the guy is messimeric as was Maradonna but in a different way,his balance/pace/vision sets him apart,his pass to Neymar t,other night was exquisite he picked him out in a crowded confined area picked up the break of the ball and rifled it home,tremendous.
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 3:16 PM GMT
You really shouldn't go by stats, they can be incredibly misleading. I always go by what I see with my own eyes. I have watched both players and I have weighed up the opposition as well as the standard of their own team(s) and drawn my conclusions. I honestly believe that Messi is well short of Maradona's standards. It's not even close. Messi being the best player of all time is media driven hype.

In fact I think Ronaldo is slightly better than Messi. It seems to me he can do anything Messi can do and more. He is physically stronger, better in the air and is more powerful, stronger in the tackle.
Report The Bhoys March 25, 2014 3:26 PM GMT
Laugh u r dellusional, ronaldo could not have picked neymar out with the pass that messi did, my da seen best and maradona play and he says messi is better, infact i said to him who do u think is better, messi or ronaldo, his reply and hes a united fan, r u serious its not even close, he doesnt think ronaldo is anywer near his class
Report BARNEY21. March 25, 2014 3:29 PM GMT
Ronaldo cannot operate in confined spaces excelent player though he is,for me he doesn,t come near Messi who makes and scores goals,his vision/timimg/precision and weight of pass have nothing or little to do with those around him,media hype is irrelevant the guy is up there with if not the very best.
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 3:30 PM GMT
oh well if your da says so...

Laugh
Report Horangi. March 25, 2014 3:30 PM GMT
Two totally different players, very difficult to compare.  Personally rather have Ronaldo on my team though.
Report The Bhoys March 25, 2014 3:31 PM GMT
Get a thread up, who would you have on ur team first choice, messi or ronaldo, as u say 2 different players
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 3:32 PM GMT
Zidane was better than Messi imo
Report egner March 25, 2014 3:34 PM GMT
Zidane was better than Messi imo SurprisedSurprised

Zidane was brilliant....but really better than messi???
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 3:38 PM GMT
Messi is mainly a penalty box player. Maradona, Zidane could do a lot more than that. They could affect the game all over the pitch.
Report mesmerised March 25, 2014 3:44 PM GMT
Yes, me too, people who reference stats is usually because they don't watch enough of the player they are talking about 'Ibra' being a good example.
Report Roger De Bris March 25, 2014 3:49 PM GMT
Maradona was lucky. Souped up to the bill on gear and slaloming past Ray Winkins and Peter Reid....Wink
Report egner March 25, 2014 3:56 PM GMT
...I agree they operated in more areas of the pitch than Messi.....

..not sure that makes them any more effective than him....

Messi knows where he can do the most damage and doesn't waste his energy or talent pretending to be anything else....(to the detriment of his team)

(as an aside I think Rooney could learn a lot from him in this respect).

Anyway as I posted above....stats...winning...losing...etc.....

..they are as nothing when compared to the achievement of being integral and the catalyst to a team that redefined the way the game could be played....(although they obviously had a little success along the way also)

.hardly their fault....but Maradona was never instrumental in or part of a team that did this...and thus far Ronaldo hasn't been either.
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 4:11 PM GMT
egner, I'm saying is that Messi has a lot more support than Maradona did. Messi is surrounded by world class players, Maradona wasn't. He had to take on most of the work load on his own. Maradona decided to take the game by the scruff of the neck against Belgium and then England. In the World Cup no less. On both occasions he picked up the ball in a non threatening area of the pitch and decided to score on his own without any assistance. Messi is not capable of doing that. He does not have it in him to take the ball in that manner, in his own half, beat an entire team himself and stick it in the net. When he does something similar, then we can talk.

I'm serious though, until he does that he cant be mentioned in the same breath as Maradona.
Report BARNEY21. March 25, 2014 4:23 PM GMT
Ffs high-lander Messi has also taken on whole defences and scored,I think you are at the wind up?
Report The Bhoys March 25, 2014 4:27 PM GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYet49BToLw
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 4:30 PM GMT
Barney, Messi hasn't done anything like what Maradona did in that World Cup. Not even close ffs! I also notice that his performance drops by 30% away from Camp Nou. And he has had many poor games for Argentina.
Report The Bhoys March 25, 2014 4:32 PM GMT
Highlander, the champs league is a higher standard of football than the world cup, ok messi has yet to really shine at 1 but hes a good 2 left
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 4:36 PM GMT
The Bhoys, who was Messi's goal against in the video and what was at stake?
Report The Bhoys March 25, 2014 4:40 PM GMT
Ok then, i was just comparing how simaler the goals where

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biOB2C6Wo3k
Report mesmerised March 25, 2014 4:45 PM GMT
I think that team was Gimnastic.

Messi has to do something with Argentina at the World Cup, Argentina are not the best side there every Brazilian in the country will want them to fail, the last thing they would want is to see Argentinian win the World Cup on their turf, he has never played the same way for them as he has for Barca, people down there even call him the 'Catalan' as when he used to play for them they said he always looks like he cares more when he plays for Barca, there is no bigger stage, drag them to the final with MOTM winning performances agains the bigger nations or  if not  history will always reflect more kindly of Maradonna and Pele in the GOAT debate.

Ps form what I've heard about Pele, players used to try and kick the s*** out of him at a time when refs were more lenient, nowadays you only have to wink at a player and you get sent off.
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 4:47 PM GMT
Okay I will take it that the game wasn't quite as important as a World Cup Quarter Final then Laugh

I'm not saying Messi isn't a great player. You can certainly argue that he is the best right now. But he is no Maradona... sorry.
Report The Bhoys March 25, 2014 4:47 PM GMT
But highlander my daddy says he is
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 4:51 PM GMT
You are bang on there mesmerised. Back then players like Pele and Maradona would get the carp kicked out of them. Nowadays players and Messi especially gets incredible protection. These days just give them a hard stare and they go down writhing on the floor, red cards all over the place.
Report high_lander March 25, 2014 4:51 PM GMT
Damnn I cant beat your Daddy argument... Plain
Report brain dead jockeys March 25, 2014 5:27 PM GMT
i have watched both maradonna and messi play and yes maradonna did amazing things in 1986 world cup..................BUT HE DID NOT REPLICATE THAT AT NAPOLI..............HE WAS VERY GOOD BUT NOWHERE NEAR MESSI..............BARCA WITHOUT MESSI WOULD BE A FINE TEAM BUT NOT A GREAT ONE
Report ;[p March 26, 2014 11:07 PM GMT

Mar 24, 2014 -- 4:24PM, brain dead jockeys wrote:

messi would score an average of 25 league goals minimum every season in seria back then. i have no doubt about this. the thing people dont understand about diego is that he was a chronic cocaine addict for most of his career. his career peaked in 1986 but i reckon after that euphoria he went mad on teh drugs. at napoli he was never fully fit and was not as dedicated as messi. if he didnt have the drugs and bad attitude problesm, he would have score a lot more goals at napoli. people see what he did in 1986 and say yeah hes teh greatest.............he never played like this at napoli. the guy was a bad pro. if he had messi's professionalism, his career would have been off teh charts in the same way that messi's is. an inform maradonna and messi can score goals at will in any league in any era.....................diego wasnt up for it, thats why he didnt do it.

cocaine should not be perceived as the downside of maradona career in periods when he was on the top,it is more like enhancing drug to the point it gets out of control so we can ask if he would be as well good without it at some certain points of his career? obviously overuse brought big downturn later but it is enhancing drug overall .  back to discussion, messi will turn average team into the winning one and he can handle attacking aspect by himself usually if he need to, hes not finisher more creator and playmaker but barcelona team allows him be more up front waiting to polish all the action with clinical touch he posses. there is no question we can compare him to the past stars  instead other way round at this point and this comparison looks clear. only need to win world cup to shut all discussions for good

Report JamDav1982 March 27, 2014 12:53 AM GMT
Wouldnt bother getting into the Maradona v Messi debate with highlander.

He is totally clueless and last time he claimed to fly over to watch Maradona play for Napoli and had Italian family who sent him videos every week.
Report brain dead jockeys March 27, 2014 1:01 AM GMT
messi is having a quiet season..................35 goals from 35 games.............so average for him!
his scoring record is completely insane
Report mesmerised March 27, 2014 8:58 AM GMT
What eactly is so far fetch about that jamdav?, you make it sound like he made round trip to pluto, it was Italy.
Report high_lander March 27, 2014 10:04 AM GMT
Apparently, my mother isn't Italian and my Italian cousins don't exist. It's so ridiculous to have an Italian mother. I mean there must be, what, about 100 million people alive right now who have an Italian mother (possibly more...how may in the USA and around the world?). It's just so rare, it's the same as saying your mother is Royalty... according to JamDav1982. 

You do understand that Italian women exist, right? I mean they're not just a myth. They have babies and everything.
Report high_lander March 27, 2014 10:16 AM GMT
;[p and brain dead jockey. There is an awful lot of speculation there. I doubt he was as much of an addict as you're making out. The man obviously had problems which obviously had a negative affect on his ability to play the game.

For the record, cocaine does not make you run faster. It does not make you stronger. It does not turn you into superman. All it does in the early stages of use is make you feel good. In the latter stages of addiction, you need it just to feel normal.

To say Messi would score 25 goals in Serie a back then is pure speculation. It is only an opinion. It is not a fact. I would certainly challenge that because there is not one shred of proof to back up that assumption.
Report high_lander March 27, 2014 10:21 AM GMT
JamDav1982 gets very very upset if you say anything bad about his pin-up-boy Lionel Messi. He will cwy and cwy and cwy and stamp his feet if you say anything nasty about his imaginary boyfriend.
Report JamDav1982 March 28, 2014 5:08 PM GMT

Mar 27, 2014 -- 5:21AM, high_lander wrote:

JamDav1982 gets very very upset if you say anything bad about his pin-up-boy Lionel Messi. He will cwy and cwy and cwy and stamp his feet if you say anything nasty about his imaginary boyfriend.

Good mature comeback from a fantasist who claimed he used to fly to Naples and watch Maradona in the 80s.

Report high_lander March 29, 2014 3:45 PM GMT
The world according to JamDav1982 - No one ever flies to foreign countries. Italy and especially Italian women are a myth. Italian people never go to live in foreign countries. Italian women cant have babies. And it is physically impossible to send a video through the postal service from nation to nation.

strange guy
Report metaphor March 29, 2014 4:16 PM GMT
jamdav def has issues

comes across as an angry bitter man
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com