Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
george.m
26 Nov 12 10:20
| Topic/replies: 929 | Blogger: george.m's blog
Betfair Group plc ("Betfair") today announces that the company will withdraw from the Greek market until such time that there is greater clarity on the regulatory situation.
Betfair has, to date, not applied for a permit to operate in Greece as, according to legal advice received, the value of these permits is unclear and we consider the gambling legislation in the country to be inconsistent with European law. Furthermore, the associated fiscal conditions attached to these permits, which may include payment of taxes on historical revenues, make the market economically unattractive.
Betfair has been working with the Remote Gambling Association (RGA) to achieve legislation that allows fair competition in the market. It is disappointing, however, that the European Commission has, despite previously stated intentions to the contrary, not taken effective action to prevent protectionist behaviour.
On 5 November 2012, the Greek Gaming Commission issued a Decision that includes provisions for financial penalties and criminal sanctions against gaming operators that continue to operate in the market without a permit. Betfair believes that there are significant issues with the legality of this Decision. However, until greater clarity is received, we have taken the decision to withdraw from the market and will continue to support the RGA's efforts.
Prior to our decision to withdraw from the market, Betfair had been expected to generate £13 million of revenue and £7 million of contribution from the Greek market in the current financial year.
Pause Switch to Standard View Betfair exit Greece
Show More
Report george.m November 26, 2012 10:21 AM GMT
3rd of december 2012 sad news for Greek traders
Report salzburg2 November 26, 2012 12:09 PM GMT
i hate to be greek . now i wish i could change country
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:05 PM GMT
Hello, I am Greek too, Is there any way of continue betting here after 3rd of December?
I think I can work it out with Ip changing, but what should I do about Adress verification?
Report george.m November 26, 2012 1:06 PM GMT
move to a different country
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:12 PM GMT
propably in a 2-3 years...! till then , I suppose I must bet on those mugs of Sporting Bet
Report judorick November 26, 2012 1:21 PM GMT
everybody else has so why not Betfair?
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:24 PM GMT
Untill now I think 24 companies have been authorised, most of them are so small that I think only the owner places bets.
The only well known is SportingBet
Report bloomy08 November 26, 2012 1:35 PM GMT
so we can only bet until the 3rd o December...****...

What about the forum? will we have access...
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:38 PM GMT
I think yes, as the account will continue to exist, just you will not be able to place bets
Report bloomy08 November 26, 2012 1:40 PM GMT
what if we hide our IP address?
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:44 PM GMT
Even if we do that, I suppose we will have to send adress verification, which is NOT from Greece..
solve that problem and IP is the easy part Cool
Report Quatsch November 26, 2012 1:44 PM GMT
You can spoof your IP address, but can you spoof your home address/bank account? (Assuming you win, as everyone on here -- but me -- always seems to do... Grin)
Report Biscuit1979 November 26, 2012 1:47 PM GMT
https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/
Report bloomy08 November 26, 2012 1:47 PM GMT
Only if we send our money in an account abroad...
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:48 PM GMT
One solution  is when you have a friend or relative abroad, and register his adress/acc bank, and you just play from Greece.
Report bloomy08 November 26, 2012 1:49 PM GMT
what about cyprus? What if we open an account in the bank of Cyprus?
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:50 PM GMT
I think betfair is not allowed in Cyprus too!
Report bloomy08 November 26, 2012 1:52 PM GMT
**** even in Cyprus...
Report bloomy08 November 26, 2012 1:53 PM GMT
At least we could use the forum....

What companies can we bet...?
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:56 PM GMT
http://www.capital.gr/news.asp?id=1405964
Report Mental November 26, 2012 1:57 PM GMT
Propably more companies will be authorised untill 5 of December
Report Quatsch November 26, 2012 1:58 PM GMT

Nov 26, 2012 -- 1:48PM, Mental wrote:

One solution

Report bloomy08 November 26, 2012 1:59 PM GMT
no trading in these **** companies right?

AS IMG KASIINOD
Β2Β GAMING SERVICES MALTA LIMITED
CASH POINT (MALTA) LIMITED
DIAMOND LINK LIMITED
DOMS CARS EΠΕ
DOMS HOLDINGS EΠΕ
ELDORADO SPORTWETTEN GmbH
GAMBLING MALTA Ltd
GLB GmbH
KINGMAKER LIMITED
LOGFLEX EΠΕ
LOVE 2 CELEBRATE EΠE
LUCKY STREAM LIMITED
MAGIC SERVICES LIMITED
MERIDIAN GAMING LIMITED
ON LINE AMUSEMENT SOLUTIONS LIMITED
ON LINE AMUSEMENT SOLUTIONS NV
PADDY POWER P.I.C.
PERSONAL EXCHANGE INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
REBELS GAMINE LTD
SILVER LINK LIMITED
SPORTING ODDS LIMITED
STS SPORTWETTEN GmbH
YEZ GAMING LTD.
Report Quatsch November 26, 2012 1:59 PM GMT
Ugh...

Again: Sure you wanna get your friend in trouble if you 'get caught'? Great way to risk ruining a good friendship, if he gets his bank account closed and who knows what else.

Is there a difference (in relation to using Betfair) between Greek and Turkish Cyprus?
Report hippie November 26, 2012 2:02 PM GMT
The difference is Turkish Cyprus doesn't exist
Report Mental November 26, 2012 2:03 PM GMT
"Turkish Cyprus" is not a country. Is occupied Cyprus.
Report Quatsch November 26, 2012 2:10 PM GMT
Yeah, I know that it's not officially a country, but I was wondering how (if) that situation effects 'everyday life', so to speak.

I just thought that perhaps if you're allowed to use Betfair in Turkey (are you?), they might allow Turks in that part of Cyprus to log on as well. Technically it's easy to establish from where you're logging in, so that can't be the problem. I knew there was very little chance of it making any difference, but it was something I was curious about.

Oh, well. Considering the number of Greeks in Britain, surely they all have at least one friend with a bank account? Grin
Report xGURKx November 26, 2012 2:13 PM GMT
imvho Betfair are a bunch of ****, with a license in GB why do they bother what a few retarded politicians in German od Greece say? Of what BF are afraid of? Could anyone please explain? I'd be very grateful if R.A.F. could bomb our Reichstag and blow all those overpaid muppets to hell! Still sick of our german 9/11 AngryCry
Report hippie November 26, 2012 2:15 PM GMT
If any Greeks need a free VPN with a server in the UK for any reason:

http://www.expatshield.com/
Report themover November 26, 2012 2:22 PM GMT
BF aren't going to give two hoots where you are from as long as they can cover themselves when they are asked to provide necessary security checks eg. money laundering etc. and are not seen to be operating in countries where they are not licensed to do so. Firstly someone needs to establish whether this is going to be an address restriction to the exchange or an IP based one. If I'm a British citizen and I happen to go and reside in Greece for 6 months I can guarantee the Greek government can do jack **** about me trading on Betfair! Furthermore being in the EU I can go and register in France, Germany, Spain, Romania, Poland, Italy, and Greece in the space of a week if I wanted to!
Report xGURKx November 26, 2012 2:25 PM GMT
AS A FREE CITIZEN AND NATURAL BORN EUROPEAN I DEMAND MY F*CKING RIGHT TO ACCESS THE EXCHANGE!!!!
Report themover November 26, 2012 2:26 PM GMT
apparently the EU was all about borderless trading between EU countries Laugh
Report salzburg2 November 26, 2012 2:27 PM GMT
i do not know anyone from these companys!!! only padder maybe
What about sattelite internet; anyone knows;
Report xGURKx November 26, 2012 2:30 PM GMT
Well next year I'm Austrian and then give a f*ck about good ol' Germany! Cool
Report themover November 26, 2012 2:30 PM GMT
off to Wien xGurkx ?
Report xGURKx November 26, 2012 2:32 PM GMT
Maybe, but could also do with Braunau Laugh
Report Biscuit1979 November 26, 2012 2:32 PM GMT
I can see a time when the only place betfair actually is allowed is Britain
Report themover November 26, 2012 2:34 PM GMT
nah Biscuit, I reckon the governments will eventually realise they are just simply missing out on some tax and a suitable agreement will be reached. For example now Germany is getting sweet zero from Betfair, and if they think nobody in Germany is using Betfair then they are cuckoos, same as Spain and lots of others.
Report hippie November 26, 2012 2:37 PM GMT
Betfair are putting up a fight in Cyprus:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9534217/Betfair-to-challenge-Cyprus-ban.html
Report themover November 26, 2012 2:38 PM GMT
Cyprus has no leg to stand on imo
Report salzburg2 November 26, 2012 2:46 PM GMT
hello , i am unfortunately greek . i want to ask you , can you use some sites so that your ip seems to be in england like www.expatshield.com , to play at betfair;
because in german i read that already one month ago you can not use betfair
Report Nordc November 26, 2012 2:50 PM GMT
Whoever finds a solution regarding foreign bank accounts/addresses/ips please post here. Before i start killing those ash0les in the goverment (and not only).
Report xGURKx November 26, 2012 2:52 PM GMT
BTW looking for a graphic design job in England or Austria, offers via message please Cool
Report themover November 26, 2012 3:04 PM GMT
Nordc - have Betfair confirmed what restrictions will be put into place?
Report screw_u November 26, 2012 3:09 PM GMT
am an american working in the uk, currently carrying an assignment in west africa. i am able to use betfair from here on my mobile and on the internet also, with all my winnings going into my HSBC account back in london when i withdraw HappyHappy
Report themover November 26, 2012 3:10 PM GMT
yeeee haaaaaaaa Laugh
Report Nordc November 26, 2012 3:10 PM GMT
Its not clear in their announcement for me.
Ip
Bank
Address
All of the above
2 of the above
1-3?
1-2?
2-3?

I don't have a clue. Just mailed them and awaiting a detailed answer.
Report screw_u November 26, 2012 3:23 PM GMT
i do feel like the greeks, i think you guys should blame goldman sachs for talking you guys into the EU when it was obvious the country didnt meet the financial requirements. but the politicians in that country are too dirty imo
Report themover November 26, 2012 3:25 PM GMT
unlike the other whiter than white worldwide politicians LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report jamov November 26, 2012 3:32 PM GMT
Yamas
Report screw_u November 26, 2012 3:34 PM GMT
at least i think the british are fairing well, and will never find themselves in similar situation. there are some countries just like banks that are too BIG to fail... i just got a business idea i could use in helping the greeks overcome this heartache of not been able to bet on betfair Grin
Report Nordc November 26, 2012 3:38 PM GMT
Feel free to pm me....asap!!!!
Report agaz November 26, 2012 3:46 PM GMT

Nov 26, 2012 -- 3:09PM, screw_u wrote:

am an american working in the uk, currently carrying an assignment in west africa. i am able to use betfair from here on my mobile and on the internet also, with all my winnings going into my HSBC account back in london when i withdraw

working in the uk kinda covers the essential part of having a uk bank account/address so why wouldnt u be able to bet? you are not beating the system by any mean

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com