Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SPYKES
02 Feb 12 16:00
| Topic/replies: 786 | Blogger: SPYKES's blog
Would you swap huth or shawcross with Kompany or Kaboul. And Sturridge for Ba or Aguero.

If I go with Kompany I cant have Aguero but would have 4.5 mil left if Ba not considered a good choice given ACN trip.

Come on guys what da ya think £500 quid going to the winner.
Pause Switch to Standard View Sun dream team dilemas.
Show More
Report cob316 February 2, 2012 7:18 PM GMT
Was that you that won a weekly prize on this dreamteam this season? Did you ever get paid?

I have a team in 300th place overall and 1 point off the top 100 in the premium, 100k here I come!
Report madbob February 2, 2012 7:55 PM GMT
i would go kaboul but u would get extra games games with the stokeis cos they in micky mouse cup thursday nites out dfo with sturridge wouldnt go ba aguero yes or suarez back soon can see him doing well due a hatrick hope it helps
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 11:07 AM GMT
cob316 - you're going to have to get past me first (25th place in Premium).
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 11:08 AM GMT
spykes - hard to comment without seeing your full team, post it up and I'll give my opinion.
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 11:08 AM GMT
Still awaiting my £100 for finishing 70th in the October monthly! Sad
Report SPYKES February 3, 2012 12:32 PM GMT
the £500 I mentioned was just between mates, Im well off the pace overall.

Team is as follows.
1. Given swapping for Vorm saving 2 mil.
2. Huth swapping for Kaboul, Enrique, A. Williams or someone else.
3. Hangerland
4. Shawcross
5. Walker
6. Mata
7. Silva
8. Dempsey
9. Rooney
10. Van Persie
11. Sturridge swapping for Suarez or Aguero

Before any changes I have a million spare.
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 12:48 PM GMT
Your players from 5 down are all in my team in 25th place!

Look at the fixture list for the games in the next window. Stoke for example, with their Europa Cup and FA Cup involvement have 10 fixtures during the window (maybe 11 if they tie their FA Cup match away to Crawley). Fulham on the other hand, have only 7 matches during the same period (albeit a fairly 'nice' set of fixtures apart from Man Utd). Swansea too have only 7, with potential toughies against Man City and Spurs.

Huth might be better 'value' than Hangeland then for example on that basis. I wouldn't argue against putting Kaboul in, as I think he'll score well enough.

I'm considering replacing Sturridge with Suarez / Aguero too, but am also contemplating the more radical approach of losing Rooney!
Report SPYKES February 3, 2012 1:01 PM GMT
Im not too far off you in the Betfair league I dont think, the boy Dempsey came good.

Stoke have a tough couple of games though in Europa although it ll probably be a couple of tight games knowing Stoke. And I did nt realise that it was a 3 game diff between Fulham and Stoke thought it was 1 or 2 so really looks like I ll have to relieve Hangerland of his duties.

Rooney is due a good run if he can stay fit I think/hope.

Any idea how many Liverpool play compared to say City?
I ll look to see when Europa games are should city beat Porto.
Report SPYKES February 3, 2012 1:07 PM GMT
City if they win along with Stoke have the potential to play the next round (2 matches again) and 1st leg of Quarters.

Would be similar for Chelsea and Arsenal I guess. So may ditch Kaboul and go with Cahill or suchlike
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 1:14 PM GMT
Liverpool 8 (maybe 9 if Everton game rescheduled during window)

Man Utd (A)
Brighton (H)
Everton (H) - think this is postponed and to be rescheduled
Cardiff (N)
Arsenal (H)
Sunderland (A)
QPR (A)
Wigan (H)
Newcastle (A)

Man City 9

Villa (A)
Porto (A)
Porto (H)
Blackburn (H)
Bolton (H)
Swansea (A)
Chelsea (H)
Stoke (A)
Sunderland (H)

That team of mine in the Betfair League is one of my worst Sad on 1123 points. My best is on 1348.

When I saw the poor one wasn't going to be in contention overall, I switched emphasis to looking for a monthly prize with it instead. I'll be doing that to most of my teams, as I only have four really decent teams ranging from 1348 down to 1295. My next best is around 40 points further back. So, I'll be concentrating on the top 4 teams for the overall comp, and aiming the others at monthlies by bringing in 'block' defences where possible.
Report SPYKES February 3, 2012 1:34 PM GMT
City could play 3 games more than that if they go well in Europa, like I say.
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 1:37 PM GMT
Yes indeed - Porto could be tough nut to crack, and depends on City's stance on the Europa Cup. Will they treat it very much as second fiddle to Premier League? They might do, and rest some of their key players, to prevent injury. You never know.
Report SPYKES February 3, 2012 1:41 PM GMT
Although same applies to Liverpool if they progress and get a replay or two along the way.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 5:00 PM GMT
Joci - I saw you on the leaderboard! I was meant t6o search you out and see if it was yourself! Good luck man! I'm 1 point off top 100 in teh premium now after Wednesday! Big transfer window coming up!

My team...

Hart

Huth
Coloccini
Walker
Enrique

Mata
Bale
Silva

Aguero
Rooney
RVP
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 5:24 PM GMT
Cheers, and to you. Mine is currently:

Hart

Vermaelen
Walker
Jones
Enrique

Mata
Dempsey
Silva

Rooney
Van Persie
Sturride

Decisions, decisions.

I have exactly the same team also in the top 100 in Premium (81st), so I can afford to try different tactics with each.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 5:38 PM GMT
I will keep an eye on ye if you stay in the top 100!

My team name is 'cant be bovvered' I did 6 teams in one go the night of the deadline by the time I was finished I really couldnt be bothered but hopefully it was worth it!
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 6:01 PM GMT
Not doing bad for 6 teams. I did 19.

http://www.fiso.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=2429

Can you view that image? I'm in it!
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 6:04 PM GMT

You are not authorised to download this attachment.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 6:05 PM GMT
Wow 19 teams!!!!! I thought I was bad, I guess you covered alot of angles with that many mate!
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 6:06 PM GMT
Thought that might be the case - as it's on a private forum, visible only to those who were there.

It's a photo of us at the Sun headquarters picking up a check for £20000 for winning the top mini-league prize (we won it two years running).
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 6:08 PM GMT
Fair play mate, how does that work then ? How many was in the league, what was the split etc....

You said above that you didnt get paid for a monthly prize, whats the story there?
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 6:15 PM GMT
There were about a thousand in the mini-league which won the overall mini-league prize two years in succession. The internal rules that were set were that if we won the prize, it would be shared amongst the top 10 placed people in the league (and thankfully I was top 10 both times).

I've contacted the Sun about my outstanding prize and got a message back saying they have passed it onto their 'technical' team.

They are very bad at paying out, not very organised.

They did treat us well when we visited the headquarters though, gave us a tour of News International in Wapping, had a Q&A session with the organisers, and they took us out for curry and beers after getting the promo photo.

Brought a few page 3 birds along too to keep us company. OK, that last bit was made up!
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 6:33 PM GMT
Very nice, what about this season are yous on track for a hattrick? Only the best of the best need apply to be in your league eh?Happy

Nice touch with the curry and beer and the page 3 modelsLaugh

You have already put the idea in my head to do way more teams next seeason , It will be like an investment that could lead to 100k, the more I think of it I was foolish to only do 6 teams!

Did they only change it this year to the 5 transfer windows I think that was what caught my eye and why I played this season...
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 6:40 PM GMT
Yes, more transfer windows this season. However, sadly they have withdrawn the season mini-league prize, as we were dominating it (there were lots of real experts in the group). I'm currently 2nd in the 'fun' mini league.

I don't go mad on entries, just spent £75 and if my prize comes through, that will be more than covered. Some individuals / syndicates spend thousands on entries. Many of them spend enough so that they can focus specifically on monthlies too, by picking block defences, in the hope of clean sheets for those teams, and max points.

Have you had any luck with Weekend Dream Team seeing as you entered the Premium package? I've had no luck with that so far.
Report johnny jojo February 3, 2012 6:42 PM GMT
is there a betfair forum mini league through the sun then? anybody have the mini league pin?
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 6:47 PM GMT
There is. One of us might be able to locate pin, or search for Dream Team and find the thread.
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 6:48 PM GMT
I'm not referring to the Betfair forum above though.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 6:51 PM GMT
Some individuals / syndicates spend thousands on entries. Many of them spend enough so that they can focus specifically on monthlies too, by picking block defences, in the hope of clean sheets for those teams, and max points.

Interesting, crafty little baxtards! So this is what I'm up against eh, I will deffo have to up my game next season and like you say probably splash about 75quid on it, the main aim, for me anyway is getting off to a flyer, I assume thats critical as far as you're concerned?, thats why I did 6 and hoped 1 had to get off well!

Re the weekend dream team , I didn't even notice it for ages, when I did twig it I played for a few weeks and never hit my captain and then became pizzed off doing it, so I havent bothered in months to do it! Do you do all 19 teams every week? God blees your patience if you do.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 6:52 PM GMT
bless it too!
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 7:04 PM GMT
For weekend dream team, I only do it every so often as you only have a finite number of credits.

Regarding getting off to a flyer, I don't thnk it's absolutely essential, as it can take a while for teams / players to settle down and hit form. The league will be up in the air for a few weeks until things settle downa  bit. It can help though to get a few players firing before everyone else's. I made gradual progress up the table to get where I am, as my quality players came through for me, and making good transfers is probably more important, as is looking at upcoming fixtures during transfer windows, and keeping a sharp lookout for injuries etc. Also, having strong opinions about certain players can be a bonus if you're proved to be right, like selecting Phil Jones from the outset. Many would have thought he'd have struggled to break into / stay in the Man Utd team from the outset. Those that had faith, would have benefited greatly from his early season points before everyone got on the bandwagon and subbed him in.

I'm expecting everyone to bring Dempsey in at this window, but in a way it's a bit pointless if you're a bit behind, as you've missed the boat and will need something different to catch up. You shouldn't be scared of trying something different on some lower priced players either like Tim Krul, Michel Vorm, Natahn Dyer etc, who can score big, and will not be picked by that many people.

There's a wealth of statistics out there about player / team performance that is very useful, but most of all, lots of good luck is required.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 7:17 PM GMT
I had Dyer in and got rid of him to take in Bale in the last window, that worked a treat!. I hear what you're saying as far as Dempsey and I wont be taking him in at all but I wont be getting too creative either, I will wait til the last window to really mix it up if I need to gain some points.

Re ; the quick start, yeah looking at my best team I cant believe I had Malouda and Carroll donking around in that for the 1st period, So i guess that shows that you dont need to fly out of the traps to still be in there. I have been looking at fixtures during the windows to see who has an easier run or more games etc but again luck needs to be on your side to!
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 7:25 PM GMT
Where can I check my premium league position? I only noticed there was a seperate table/prizepool for that a few weeks ago and noticed I was close to the top 100 but it dosent give you your position on the main page as far as i can see?
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 7:30 PM GMT
Select one of your teams then under 'Tables' click on'Premium Season'.

Towards the top of the page, click on 'Overall' and it will show you the position of the team you've selected. Give it a  shot.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 7:34 PM GMT
Sweet, yea that worked 103rd place! I see you in 81st!!! Thanks!

It still should be on the main page with the rest of them IMO.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 7:38 PM GMT
I see a Joci club 6 in 146th place!
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 7:46 PM GMT
Yep, top 4 teams are 25th, 81st, 146th and 1295th.

Trying to get those four into the top 100 to earn £1000.
Report cob316 February 3, 2012 7:52 PM GMT
Get in the top 1 man and scoop 100k!
Report JOCI Club February 3, 2012 7:57 PM GMT
Very tough without taking big risks now, about 75 points behind the leader. Tought (but not impossible) to make that up.
Report cob316 February 12, 2012 9:43 PM GMT
Bump! Joci where art thou!?

Suarez is down as zero points even though he scored, whats the schizzle there any ideas?
Report JOCI Club February 12, 2012 11:06 PM GMT
Will be corrected soon I guess-The Sun always effin up!
Report cob316 May 14, 2012 5:53 PM BST
Bump- Joci are you out there mate!?!

I believe I have squeezed in the top 100 in the premium by 1 point! I'm joint 99th with one other person! Woulda been so gutted if I didnt make it, I've been in it for weeks now and to be pipped at the last would be sick.

How did you fare yourself, how many teams are you getting paid on?

I assume they will e-mail me or something, any idea how they pay? or when they will, I think you said before they can be very shoddy in these things.
Report JOCI Club May 14, 2012 7:08 PM BST
hi dont count your chickens yet as we still have the champions league final to come with chelsea - am currently 30th in premium and 79th in overall comp; have another list 4 points off premium top 100 - still not been paid for october they are a shower of sh ite - good luck - have only mata going for me for chelsea - will win £300 also for 1st and 2nd on works comp - if you win you ahould get a confirmation e-mail from them
Report cob316 May 14, 2012 7:11 PM BST
oh shitttttttttttttttttt forgot about the CL final, arrrrrrgh I'm gonna get done up like  a kipper now I can feel it.

Mata is my only player involved too.
Report JOCI Club May 14, 2012 7:24 PM BST
hoping chelsea concede mata scores and torres doesnt
Report cob316 May 14, 2012 7:29 PM BST
After looking through teams just behind me  the main man to dodge is Gary Cahill if he scores its a catastrophe, surely theres no way that Chelski will keep a clean sheet!So I wouldn't be worried about that, I wanted a bayern win anyway, now I hope they paste them! Cant have cahill eben getting 7 out of 10 for his performance!
Report Lucky Sod May 20, 2012 7:42 AM BST
KEEPER

Petr Cech ... 8 3points for 8 and 3for penalty save

NOBODY has been more important in Chelsea’s run to the final than Cech.

And the keeper underlined his value when he turned Robben’s cross against the woodwork with his leg before saving a penalty from the same player in extra-time.

The unflappable Czech then proved vital with two key saves in the penalty shootout.

CENTRE BACKS

Gary Cahill ... 7

WITH both John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic out, it was a relief when Cahill recovered from a hamstring injury to make the starting line-up.

And he made a crucial block to stop Schweinsteiger’s shot. Relished his battle with Gomez but was lucky the Bayern striker was not on top of his game.

Former Manchester City defender Boateng never shirked a challenge with Drogba and showed just what he is capable of.

David Luiz ... 6

UKRAINIAN Tymoshchuk was outmuscled by Drogba and looked to hand the striker on to the more powerful Boateng.

Luiz was making his first appearance in five weeks since pulling a hamstring in the FA Cup semi-final — and it showed.

The Brazilian never looked very comfortable against Bayern’s front three and had Chelsea fans holding their breath when the ball was in their box.
RIGHT BACKS

Jose Bosingwa ... 5

BOTH full-backs were only starting last night because of suspensions.

Bosingwa looked terrified of Franck Ribery, who identified him as Chelsea’s weak link.

Contento did not have half as much defending to doand was free to bomb forward.

But he did not look so assured on the rare occasions when Chelsea got the ball out wide.
LEFT BACKS

Ashley Cole ... 9

DREAM TEAM STAR MAN.
A magnificent show by Cole, who again proved he is the best left-back in the world.

Immense at the back, he made so many last-ditch tackles that Robben, never the bravest of players, usually cut inside rather than risk a challenge.

Bayern skipper Lahm did not expect to line up against rookie Bertrand but didn’t exploit the kid’s inexperience.
CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Frank Lampard ... 7

WITH both John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic out, it was a relief when Cahill recovered from a hamstring injury to make the starting line-up.

And he made a crucial block to stop Schweinsteiger’s shot. Relished his battle with Gomez but was lucky the Bayern striker was not on top of his game.

Former Manchester City defender Boateng never shirked a challenge with Drogba and showed just what he is capable of.

John Obi Mikel ... 7

NO player has benefited from Roberto Di Matteo’s spell in charge more than Mikel.

The Nigerian holding midfielder will never make the headlines but the protection he provides Chelsea’s back four was again invaluable.

Schweinsteiger was inhibited by a stupid second-minute booking for handball and didn’t have his usual influence in the centre of the Bayern midfield.
RIGHT MIDFIELD

Salomon Kalou ... 5

FILLING in for the suspended Ramires was always going to be a big ask for the Ivorian who struggled to make any kind of impact on the right side of Chelsea’s front three.

Muller was also only playing because Luiz Gustavo was banned but proved a constant menace working in the space behind Bayern’s front three.

Volleyed a glorious chance wide but made amends late on when he headed home the game’s opening goal.

LEFT MIDFIELD

Ryan Bertrand ... 6

BERTRAND had never even been on the bench before in the Champions League yet suddenly found himself making his Euro debut in the biggest game of all.

Usually a left-back, he was deployed on the left of midfield to give extra defensive cover against former Blues winger Robben — and made a vital block to divert the Dutchman’s shot.

Robben was here, there and everywhere but he will always be remembered for that late penalty miss.
FORWARDS

Didier Drogba ... 8

EVERYONE was expecting fireworks from Drogba in almost certainly his last appearance for Chelsea, and he won the final.

Isolated up front, he gained his reward when he equalised with a quite magnificent header — and what about that winning penalty?

Ribery, Bayern’s scar-faced Frenchman, took every opportunity to run at the hapless Bosingwa but his final ball was usually a disappointment.

Juan Mata ... 6

MATA was supposed to be playing off Drogba’s flicks and lay-offs but dropped deeper in search of the ball.

The Spaniard has proved a fantastic buy for Chelsea but this will not go down as one of his greatest games.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com