Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
slip5
29 Aug 14 12:23
| Topic/replies: 25,299 | Blogger: slip5's blog
In a move that will reawaken fears about the relationship between gambling and cricket, it has emerged that a spectator was ejected from the second ODI between England and India in Cardiff for allegedly relaying information to bookmakers in the subcontinent - a practice known as "court-siding".

Because of the delay on broadcast feeds for televised games, betting markets can be manipulated by those with access to information from inside the ground. Chris Watts, head of the ECB's anti-corruption unit, confirmed to the Cricket Paper, the UK's weekly cricket newspaper, that a man had been thrown out by stewards at the Swalec Stadium on Wednesday for "breaching the ticket terms and conditions".

Although not a direct attempt to influence events on the field, "court-siding" gives bookmakers a live window on the action and enables them to set their odds accordingly. The man in Cardiff is understood to have been using two laptops and a mobile phone during India's innings, before being removed from the ground. An additional ECB anti-corruption presence is likely for the final three ODIs of the series.

This is abit over the top for me it is not like the guy had any say on the result on the match.
Pause Switch to Standard View Cardiff intercepts bookmaking scam
Show More
Report DStyle August 29, 2014 1:17 PM BST
all these sorts of things do is show up the stupidity of the journalists and the authorities.

same with tennis.

scoring data has not been obtained through privilege or unfair advantage and nothing is being manipulated. there is no scam.
Report donny osmond August 29, 2014 1:28 PM BST
the ground regulations were changed a few years back so it is against the terms when he bought his ticket

its fine for punters to place bets on their mobile, back or lay on betfair

but illegal to provide commentary for purposes of bookmaking
Report donny osmond August 29, 2014 1:30 PM BST
i think its protecting bookmakers and satelite tv companies , and has nothing to do
with integrity of the game
Report DStyle August 29, 2014 1:35 PM BST
it's not illegal. it is against the terms of the ticket sale.

and you're right.

it's a VERY tenuous implementation of rebroadcasting data without the rights of the official broadcasters.

but it's absolutely fine to do this from properties which overlook the ground which don't require a ticket.

it has nothing to do with corruption and the integrity of the game
Report junior007 August 29, 2014 2:07 PM BST
These things are being policed to within an inch of their life, but......

All teams can have internet access in their dressing rooms....

And run out messages onto the field almost at will.

Ban internet in the dressing rooms as well as phones, and stop dressing rooms from sending un-policed messages onto the field. 

Come on cricket, these changes are obvious, and EASY.  And they make corruption appreciably more difficult in certain ways.
Report Injera August 29, 2014 2:57 PM BST
Couldn't agree more.

'Additional ECB anti corruption presence is likely for the final ODIs.'

What corruption???

The bizarre thing is that by court siding mistakes can easily be made by those involved so they're not guaranteed to prosper.

Anyway, obtaining quick pictures is a fundamental part of betting. If the authorities can't see that they're more hopeless than we thought.

Anyone with half a brain knows that live pictures are not live. It's part of the risk and you weigh up time delays just as you weigh up odds.
Report junior007 August 29, 2014 4:32 PM BST
Word on the street is the biggest objectors to the internet being banned in dressing rooms....

England and Australia, whose army of analysts communicate from home to the dressing rooms via the net. 

In running analysis is nowhere near as high a priority for this sport as is stamping out corruption. 

Stop rounding up the usual suspects like poor old Sree, who gets bitch slapped or arrested every time Indian cricket needs a whipping boy, and start doing something that will make a real difference.  This is supposed to be a completely professional sport at international level and is near enough fully professional at the next level down. 

If something suspicious happens don't wait 10 f*cking years to build a watertight legal case.  Just hold an immediate enquiry within cricket and place bans, issue show cause notices, publicly declared reprimands and so on, make it really difficult for cricketers to under-perform on purpose without immediate scrutiny.  Don't worry about the fact they may appeal or take legal action.  Let them.  Then you have the onus of proof shifted. 

It cannot be that difficult.  Give or take, we are fifteen years down the track on this, and the sport has nothing in place yet that would give you full confidence that a given match might not be corrupt.  There seems to be a tendency back towards less corruption in certain international matches and domestic cricket in SOME countries, but I doubt that is a function of changes the sport has made.  It seems more like it is occurring on the grace of some unwritten truce between corrupting forces and officials.

If the ECB is seriously telling us that Kent's price was so short based only on Lou Vincent and some no name bowler being bent in that match, then god help us. 

Let's see a bit more action on the Whitgift School T20 as well.  A blind man living in and underground cave could see that was as bent as a Michael Barrymore pool party.  Lou Vincent even said his M.O. was to make about 15 off 20 balls then get out when he was under instructions.  Yet I don't recall this match being mentioned in dispatches.  Why did the captain - who had played in the ICL - send in players who had played in the ICL and IPL ahead of batsmen who were better performed and in better form at the time?  Put the question to him.  Let the public know the answer.  Don't keep things secret playing games of espionage. 

Don't give us some poor patsy who collapsed under pressure and was finished in any event, give us some real action.  Don't p1ss around trying to build some huge watertight case.  Get them in, interview them, ask some difficult questions, if you are not satisfied with the responses, issue bans, indefinite if need be until they start singing.

If cricket doesn't have the power to do this under current arrangements, then make new arrangements and give investigators and decision makers the powers they need.

It is not that difficult, it really isn't.

Ejecting people at cricket matches who report ball by ball scores does nothing to make things more fair for punters.  The Indian bookmakers I know of do not use this to their advantage, they would lose their clientele if they did.  To my knowledge it is used only to stop people taking advantage of them and to allow them more time to adjust odds between balls.  Others may know differently but I have never heard of it being used by Indian bookmakers to gain any unfair advantage.  In fact, if you are going to boot them out, round up the likes of Innocent Bystander and give him his marching orders, he has for years been sniping to gain an unfair advantage.  He probably needs a break in any event.  Grin
Report Captain Wurzel August 29, 2014 5:54 PM BST
Mark Waugh is an aussie
He wears an aussie hat
And when he saw the bookies cash
He said I'm having that
He shared it out with Warnie
They went and had some beers
And when the ACB found out
They hushed it up for years.

To the tune of 'My old mans a dustman'
Report tonyf August 29, 2014 6:55 PM BST
Couldn't agree more about IB
Report junior007 August 29, 2014 8:18 PM BST
Sounds like a classic Weasel.

Could just see you and your mates singing that after a few lagers in the sun then laughing like....well, like a lot of weasels.

This thread is not about word association, where you read the content and just go to the nearest thing in your brain that you understand and post some shyt about that, this thread has gravitas and stuff.

Go back to the drawing board, think of something meaningful to contribute, and we promise not to laugh so long as you do your level best.

That last shyt you posted is possibly the worst post I have seen on here.  Even you are better than that. Love
Report Captain Wurzel August 30, 2014 6:43 AM BST
Barmy army song junior - touched a bit of a nerve has it Laugh

Keep up with the funny names junior - you crack me up.Laugh
Report tonyf August 30, 2014 8:54 AM BST
Really good posts here, pity nobody in authority will give a monkey's ass.
Report tonyf August 30, 2014 8:59 AM BST
Sniping is a serious enemy of the honest betfair trader. It leaves people like myself very vulnerable. I can never leave a run line up or match price between balls and finish up trading at the end of overs, very restrictive. I have lost a lot of money to snipers over the years. It is part of the game but it shouldn't be. The delays from Sky are mind-numbingly long. Betfair don't care, but they should.
Report junior007 August 30, 2014 5:12 PM BST
The only thing your foolish irrelevant post highlights to me Captain Weasel is that even if you compare Australian cricketers who have taken cash from bookies with their English counterparts, the Australians are classes above them.  This is true no matter how you slice and dice any comparison to be fair.

tonyf - as you have pointed out, the sniping is a big problem that can cost a fair trader his stake, but also costs him many trading opportunities, so it is p1sspoor by BF not to have put something in place to level the playing field.
Report Captain Wurzel August 30, 2014 5:23 PM BST
Give it up junior - you're just making a fool of yourself.

Waugh and Warne should have been banned and you know it. Please give your evidence re English international cricketers

who have been punished for taking cash from bookies.
Report junior007 August 30, 2014 6:26 PM BST
I don't have any issue with Waugh and Warne deserving bans, what on earth would make you think I did?  The poms haven't really had anyone good enough for the bookies to pay, that is my point. 

My other point is that all this nonsense you introduced doesn't belong on this thread where people are making very good posts regarding current issues of corruption and unfair betting platforms. 

There is a time and place to play the fool Captain Weasel, this thread isn't it.  Add something of meaning if you have something, I would be interested in your views about the issues the thread raises.
Report Captain Wurzel August 30, 2014 7:04 PM BST
Let me be quite clear junior - I'll post what I want on whichever thread I want. Whether you like it or approve of it

is a matter of supreme indifference to me.
Report Captain Wurzel August 30, 2014 7:07 PM BST
The poms haven't really had anyone good enough for the bookies to pay

Again how have Australia managed to lose 4 of the last 6 series against this bunch of losers - its a mystery Laugh
Report homefortea August 30, 2014 7:52 PM BST
I thought everyone knew that Shane Warne would do anything for money..

Liz Hurley turned him into a metrosexual wearing make-up (and a pinny if required) and he had an Elton John.

Not really sure why he gets a gig on TV but perhaps they need someone who bats for the other side......
Report junior007 August 31, 2014 4:13 AM BST
Post what you want Captain Weasel and be judged for it. 

I will also reserve the right to criticise anything posted....and recognise your right to do the same.
Report Captain Wurzel August 31, 2014 9:33 AM BST
Course you've got the right to criticise anything posted - I will always defend freedom of speech.
Report hazardous August 31, 2014 3:08 PM BST
Some really interesting and meaningful posts in this thread, which is refreshing.

Then there is Captain Wurzel ....
Report Captain Wurzel August 31, 2014 3:59 PM BST
Thanks hazardous ! I'll take that as a complimentLaugh
Report cdog September 1, 2014 4:46 PM BST
the trouble with the cricket forum these days is most threads start out all hunky-dory and interesting, and then they get hijacked by Junior007 and his England bashing Cry
Report junior007 September 2, 2014 8:58 PM BST
I have to get some in while I can c-unit.  England now look likely to fold they are that bad.  The most sensible thing they could do is just stop fielding a cricket team forever from now on.  They are that bad it has become politically incorrect to criticise them.  They are so bad that kids beg the players not to give them an autograph. 

Anyway, was a sensible thread until Captain Weasel and cbog turned up with their usual Junior007 bashing.  Cry
Report junior007 September 2, 2014 8:58 PM BST
I have to get some in while I can c-unit.  England now look likely to fold they are that bad.  The most sensible thing they could do is just stop fielding a cricket team forever from now on.  They are that bad it has become politically incorrect to criticise them.  They are so bad that kids beg the players not to give them an autograph. 

Anyway, was a sensible thread until Captain Weasel and cbog turned up with their usual Junior007 bashing.  Cry
Report junior007 September 2, 2014 8:59 PM BST

Report BJT September 3, 2014 11:02 AM BST
Not sure what this has got to do with bookmakers.  Why the hell would he have 2 laptops if all he was doing was live commentary?  The guy was clearly just betting on the game, like anybody with the chance would.  You don't get live pictures and want them, you pay the ticket price.
Report junior007 September 3, 2014 7:23 PM BST
The article is a bit vague and confusing BJT, but FYI, the ECB anti-corruption staff are resolved to tossing out the inevitable messengers who work for Indian bookmakers around the world on matches that Indian bookmakers take live bets on.  The principle task of these messengers is to provide a factual commentary on the match the instant an outcome of a delivery is known, eg dot ball, 4, 6 wicket, batsman felled by a Mitchell Johnson bouncer etc. 

I have explained my understanding of the dangers or otherwise these guys present in my earlier post.  In short, if that is all that is going on it is no direct threat to any honest punter.  What the anti-corruption guys are doing is just trying to make it as difficult as possible for Indian bookies to operate effectively on matches in the UK.  Their belief is that this will have the knock on effect of reducing corruption of players in matches played in the UK. 

No doubt a man of your vast knowledge and experience will have firm views on the rights and wrongs of that.

I am also uncertain about the use of the two laptops if he is simply providing commentary, it is impossible to tell the exact nature of what he was doing from this article.  In fact the article shows almost no understanding of the situation whatsoever.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com