Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
steview84
30 Jul 13 01:15
| Topic/replies: 7,311 | Blogger: steview84's blog
Still can't make my mind up on how to begin with this one.

Australia due to win a toss, with the forum of their batsmen the draw could be out to 20/1 after day one.

Weather forecasts have changed rapidly over the last week from rain on 3/5 of the days to now 1/5, i'm sure it will change again.

I have to say that nigelpm1 has been the best judge of rain effecting cricket on the forum, and he believes that the rain won't make much of a difference.

Hopefully we get another weather scare and the price on England gets to around 2.1 - 2.2.
Pause Switch to Standard View **The Ashes 2013 3rd Test 01-05...
Show More
Report dreambrother09 August 5, 2013 3:43 PM BST
And bob, I agree. They should get traders who can do their job rather than fearing everybody who dares to do well.
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 3:44 PM BST
how many overs can they play in theory?
Report Latalomne August 5, 2013 3:45 PM BST
I've lost track....  Was 98 in the day at the start of play.
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 3:45 PM BST
AM I right in thinking the umpires would chose not to come out for say only 30mins at the end of the day?meaning if that was the time conditions brightened up and all mopped up etc?or do they happily and pointlessly restart the game?
Report dreambrother09 August 5, 2013 3:46 PM BST
In theory we could all sit here and do this every day. The cricket seems to be a very small part of proceedings. Just pick a place, all talk about how the weather is going to change throughout the day, get someone from betfair to go over there and settle the market.
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 3:49 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 4:45PM, happyhamma wrote:

AM I right in thinking the umpires would chose not to come out for say only 30mins at the end of the day?meaning if that was the time conditions brightened up and all mopped up etc?or do they happily and pointlessly restart the game?

I think it's up to the captains to shake on a draw. Strictly Australia only need seven balls to win the match.

Report dreambrother09 August 5, 2013 3:50 PM BST
Would be nice to think they given the opportunity they'd go out and see how it goes for a bit
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 3:50 PM BST
i think its fairly random. sometimes they come out when the draw is inevitabe, sometimes they dont. my guess is they would ask the aussie captain if they want to come out or not.

thats actually a good idea. betfair can we have weather betting please? Grin
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 3:51 PM BST
I suspect they will shake hands around 5pm
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 3:53 PM BST
Forecast looks abysmal. May as well shake on it now to be honest.
Report cricnut August 5, 2013 3:54 PM BST
No they won't come out for an hour or 30 minutes, if both captains agree, that no possible result, apart from the draw is likely to happen, so if Michael Clarke, thinks he can get 7 wickets in an hour, they will come out, if he doesn't (very likely) the game will be over, as a drawn match.
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 3:56 PM BST
whoever bought those non-refundable tickets last night must be bonkers. lucky they got to see owt.
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 3:57 PM BST
though not as bonkers as whoever layed the draw at 1.3 Surprised
Report newco-Joe67 August 5, 2013 3:57 PM BST
When will it be officially called a draw ?
Report Mr.Angry August 5, 2013 3:58 PM BST
Can Australia still win this?
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 3:59 PM BST
actually forget that... the draw on the chart went to about 1.6??????

cant be right shirley?
Report Latalomne August 5, 2013 3:59 PM BST
1.6 after the fall of the 3rd wicket.
Report Latalomne August 5, 2013 3:59 PM BST
(when the sun was shining)
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 3:59 PM BST
you can still lay Bresnan for top bat 2nd innings @ 200/1
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 4:00 PM BST
Australia nearly hit their shortest price at the fall of the third wicket. It soon bounced back up.
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 4:00 PM BST
i wasnt looking. thats utterly incredible with the forecast. id have layed the tits off that Cry
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 4:01 PM BST
I laid at 3.35 before the review. It hit I think 2.6 at least.
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:02 PM BST
good point about 7 balls Darlo but I expect a handshake at around 5 ish due to mopping up,bad light and the likely continued rain anyway.Put the crowd out of their misery.....assuming there are some muppets still sat there
Report Latalomne August 5, 2013 4:02 PM BST
Another wicket before lunch would have been very interesting, particularly as it looked like the worst of the rain wouldn't hit until about now.
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:04 PM BST
my england lay should get matched soon,numpties still nibbling at the 1000.
Report Dr.Cypionate August 5, 2013 4:05 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:04PM, happyhamma wrote:

my england lay should get matched soon,numpties still nibbling at the 1000.

bet you're dead excited making your 2 quid

Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 4:06 PM BST
games over, we all know that now. somebody end this thing.
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 4:06 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:02PM, Latalomne wrote:

Another wicket before lunch would have been very interesting, particularly as it looked like the worst of the rain wouldn't hit until about now.

Seems like people have been looking at very different weather pictures. When they went off for lunch, the radar I had suggested it might have been the last ball of the Test. It wasn't that far off. An hour earlier, I agree it looked a little more interesting, but not at lunch.

Report newco-Joe67 August 5, 2013 4:06 PM BST
Mopping stopped
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 4:08 PM BST
england were a ludicrous price last night. i layed 50 quid and a bit at 44.0. they were 120.0 an hour later. people really dont understand cricket. talking about england scoring at 4 or 5 an over, when they just need to bat out a draw. and there was rain forecast all day.
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:08 PM BST
lol Dr, I've got £10 queued up. Hours wages for most ;-)
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 4:09 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:08PM, sideshowbob wrote:

england were a ludicrous price last night. i layed 50 quid and a bit at 44.0. they were 120.0 an hour later. people really dont understand cricket. talking about england scoring at 4 or 5 an over, when they just need to bat out a draw. and there was rain forecast all day.

They were a ludicrous price all morning.

Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 4:10 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:08PM, happyhamma wrote:

lol Dr, I've got £10 queued up. Hours wages for most ;-)

Well done if you get it matched, but if you have £10 at 1000s, you really should have been making hay this morning when it was a ludicrous price.

Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:10 PM BST
My favourite is when a team is chasing 550 in final innings and have 90 overs to get it and only 200s,a case of the rich getting richer surely!!
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:13 PM BST
I'm a full time arber so dont like getting tied up in "real" betting too much.I don't like to trust weather/and forecasts too much either.I love hoovering up £2's though although it only takes one hit do lose a lump
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 4:15 PM BST
Can't really see the point in showing the full action from earlier in the day when there's no prospect of any further cricket. Can't we get some pictures of Clarkes face?
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 4:18 PM BST
if there hadnt been a drop of rain all day, id have layed england at 44.0. never gonna happen. they werent even thinking about winning last night, purely coming out to bat out the draw. with the rain it was candy from a baby time. just a shame ive got all my money tied up at the moment. i had to reshuffle a few things just to lay the 50 quid.
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:18 PM BST
Another thing that worries me Darlo is,yes I agree the price for the draw was massive all day especially the 1.6 BUT,as an arber, my bf account hemorrhages money which makes me fully respect the "punts" on various teams and players (betfair backers are awesome and so often get it right),subsequently when there are people laying such odds I often respect their knowledge and assume there is method and logic behind their lay odds.Very pessimistic I know but this is why I'm not a big "real" punter
Report johnnyrant August 5, 2013 4:20 PM BST
I am sure a lot of cricket traders would have been taking the big prices for an Eng win purely to reduce their big red (on an Eng win) & free up some bank. If you haven't got a huge bank to play with it's a requirement in managing your maximum liability.
Report BJT August 5, 2013 4:22 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:20PM, johnnyrant wrote:

I am sure a lot of cricket traders would have been taking the big prices for an Eng win purely to reduce their big red (on an Eng win) & free up some bank. If you haven't got a huge bank to play with it's a requirement in managing your maximum liability.

Not the winning traders though, as the winning traders would have a big bank to play with.  Crazy

Report nigelpm1 August 5, 2013 4:27 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:20PM, johnnyrant wrote:

Nope.  I never do this.

Report Dr.Cypionate August 5, 2013 4:33 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:27PM, nigelpm1 wrote:

Aug  5, 2013 --  4:20PM, johnnyrant wrote:I am sure a lot of cricket traders would have been taking the big prices for an Eng win purely to reduce their big red (on an Eng win) & free up some bank. If you haven't got a huge bank to play with it's a requirement in managing your maximum liability.Nope.  I never do this.

mug

Report nigelpm1 August 5, 2013 4:33 PM BST
A mug that makes me money - I love them
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 4:34 PM BST
i have a big bank, but often end up with no money available cos i bet on several sports. in particular i have money tied up for long periods on outright markets.

but i only trade out at prices i think are nearly decent though. i wouldnt have backed england at 44 to trade out, cos they had no chance. id rather just not do the bet i wanted to do, than throw money away on summat that has no chance. unless its just a few quid. especially as the test match ends today. i certainly wouldnt trade out for the sake of it, only if i needed to use the money for summat else.
Report nigelpm1 August 5, 2013 4:35 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:34PM, sideshowbob wrote:

i have a big bank, but often end up with no money available cos i bet on several sports. in particular i have money tied up for long periods on outright markets. but i only trade out at prices i think are nearly decent though. i wouldnt have backed england at 44 to trade out, cos they had no chance. id rather just not do the bet i wanted to do, than throw money away on summat that has no chance. unless its just a few quid. especially as the test match ends today. i certainly wouldnt trade out for the sake of it, only if i needed to use the money for summat else.

absolutely 100% spot on.

Report Dr.Cypionate August 5, 2013 4:36 PM BST
lets all get out co cks out and we'll talk how big we are!
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:36 PM BST
So sideshow, you don't fancy england at 1000 as we speak???please?!?!
Report nigelpm1 August 5, 2013 4:36 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:36PM, Dr.Cypionate wrote:

lets all get out co cks out and we'll talk how big we are!

Calm down

Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:37 PM BST
I'm tiny hence the sports car!!
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 4:39 PM BST
GSM
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 4:39 PM BST
Finally.
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:40 PM BST
well played all,speak soon much love
Report kruger76 August 5, 2013 4:40 PM BST
Thanks for coming Aus!
Report Darlo Bantam August 5, 2013 4:41 PM BST
Dennis Lillee, Don Bradman, David Campase, Ned Kelly, Ian Thorpe, Jason Donovan, Kylie Minogue, Marc Webber, Bouncer, Helen Daniels, BJT. Your boys took one hell of a beating!
Report happyhamma August 5, 2013 4:42 PM BST
lol Darlo,anyone feel remotely sorry for the aussies?I hope not!
Report nigelpm1 August 5, 2013 4:43 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 5:39PM, Dr.Cypionate wrote:

anyone called nigel is deffo a cuckold and has a dicklet.

You need medical help

Report johnnyrant August 5, 2013 4:44 PM BST
I was backing Eng at 300 earlier because I didn't have the bank to increase my red on Eng by lumping more on the draw & needed to reduce my maximum liability. I won 4 figures on the draw. But nigel & BJT are the pros Laugh
Report Roker_Park August 5, 2013 4:45 PM BST
Job doneLove

Can't wait for the 4th test and another 5 days of meltdown from BJT. Great viewing.
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 4:45 PM BST
My Mrs reckons Shane Warne is a transvestite - that could be a scoop ?
Report cricnut August 5, 2013 4:46 PM BST
As expected, before the start of the series, England retain the Ashes. A close 1st Test Match, a total thrashing in the 2nd and the Aussies have totally outplayed England in the 3rd. However at the moment England are a winning side and the Aussies are a losing side and luck tends to run against you, when you are a losing side and with a winning side and that has what happened in this series, so far.
Report Mr.Angry August 5, 2013 4:46 PM BST
Too much hair, obviously.
Report Queen_Dulu August 5, 2013 4:47 PM BST
Australia are pathetic. They can't beat England even when England are at their worst, and Australia are at their best.
Report Mr.Angry August 5, 2013 4:47 PM BST
and the Aussies have totally outplayed England in the 3rd.

Erm, no they didn't.  England were only 165 runs behind on a flat wicket which was destined to send the match beyond 5 days.
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 4:50 PM BST
Not the most memorable series. Australian cricket the worst it's ever been in my lifetime and I'm no spring chicken. Like the Ryder Cup when the US won every time they let us have Europe on side as well. Maybe it's time for us to let Aus have NZ as well to make for a more even contest.ShockedDevil
Report sideshowbob August 5, 2013 4:51 PM BST
lol i wasnt saying i had a big bank to show off, i was merely saying even with a big bank you can often find you have no money available. it adds up a lot quicker than you think. often i have most of my money tied up on silly stuff that cant realistically happen but either theres no money to trade out the liability or i dont want to throw money away trading out by backing things that cant happen. a big bank can seem incredibly small 90% of the time. today i had £3 available out of this big bank, with no imminent possibility of losing anything. apart from this test match, i have nothing that is even settled for the next 3 months.

obviously if you only bet or trade on one sport it will be a lot different and juggling probably wont come into it as much.
Report mobo August 5, 2013 4:55 PM BST
poor bitter bitter  man -  shane warne   ha ha!!
Report Biscuit1979 August 5, 2013 4:58 PM BST
Although we've retained the Ashes, it's still a bit disappointing that today was a washout and saved the Aussies from a 5-0 whitewash
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 4:59 PM BST
Why doesn't someone tell the crowd the game is over - there's still thousands sitting there. Maybe they think Gary Neville is coming back in?
Report kruger76 August 5, 2013 5:06 PM BST
They're waiting for Clarke to argue that they should be out there playing...
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 5:09 PM BST
Giving Champagne to Clarke - absolute classic
Report kruger76 August 5, 2013 5:10 PM BST
why not, they've drawn a game - cause for celebration I'd say! Laugh
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 5:11 PM BST
He won't be looking forward to going back to the dressing room with a big bottle of bubbly and a cheque for himself !
Report cricnut August 5, 2013 5:14 PM BST
I'm sorry you disagree with me Mr Angry, but you seem to forget Australia declared their 1st innings on 527-7, could possibly have got 627 and a 250 lead.  165 runs even on a good wicket, is a massive lead and again Australia gave England a few cheap wickets 2nd time around looking to accelerate, their innings and declared again. Australia were 699 for 14 wickets and England were 405 for 13 wickets, now with those scores I would say England were totally outplayed, from start to finish. I'm English and want to see us drub Australia, every game, but it didn't happen in this game, as we were 2nd best in every aspect of the game.
Report buddeliea August 5, 2013 5:19 PM BST
Spot on,and only a totally biased Englishman could say any different.

Still,at least the England fans got to watch water coming out of the sky instead of watching sport!!
Laugh
Report Dr.Cypionate August 5, 2013 5:22 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 6:19PM, buddeliea wrote:

Spot on,and only a totally biased Englishman could say any different.Still,at least the England fans got to watch water coming out of the sky instead of watching sport!!

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeethingLaughLaughLaugh

cannnntAngry

Report Mr.Angry August 5, 2013 5:23 PM BST
Okay, it's good that we disagree.  But don't forget the cheap wickets which England gave away (eg: Bresnan).  When Australia batted out the 2nd day to tea, the game was all but dead, unless they could get England out within a day (which they didn't).  The conditions and pitch became increasingly favourable to the bowlers.  Australia failed to capitalise, because they couldn't.
Report cardshark August 5, 2013 5:25 PM BST
Oz missed a trick - should have used more spin and crowded the bat when they were 575 runs ahead or got 700 runs ahead and forced the follow-on. With rain always on the cards batting once and batting long was the way to go.
Report buddeliea August 5, 2013 5:27 PM BST
actually they could and were doing so pretty comfortably till the rain came.

Dr cyp, im not seething,i am English,but I prefer to watch cricket than rain.
Report Whisperingdeath August 5, 2013 5:29 PM BST
I agree with your Sharkie,

The fact Aus got early wickets after the declaration means nothing as the pitch was still good enough for England to avoid the follow on, which, in the end was enough to save the match.
Report Queen_Dulu August 5, 2013 5:29 PM BST
England batted for 140 overs in the 1st innings. When you take so much time to bowl a team out, you don't deserve to win the test.
Report Mr.Angry August 5, 2013 5:29 PM BST
or got 700 runs ahead and forced the follow-on

Yes, I think this is the point.  On a flat wicket England were very likely to get 327 runs.  But with the pitch becoming increasingly good for the bowlers, they wasted time batting again.
Report Mr.Angry August 5, 2013 5:30 PM BST
England batted for 140 overs in the 1st innings. When you take so much time to bowl a team out, you don't deserve to win the test.

Indeed, an excellent point.
Report paulcarm August 5, 2013 6:02 PM BST
What a f*cking joke. Australia lose because of the weather. Why the f*ck don't they just play another day?
Report Dr.Cypionate August 5, 2013 6:12 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 7:02PM, paulcarm wrote:

What a f*cking joke. Australia lose because of the weather. Why the f*ck don't they just play another day?

jesus..dont bet on sports you aint got a clue about.

Report kruger76 August 5, 2013 6:12 PM BST
If Man Utd are losing, shall we just get the ref to add on injury time until they score?

Oh... Laugh
Report paulcarm August 5, 2013 7:52 PM BST

Aug 5, 2013 -- 7:12PM, Dr.Cypionate wrote:

Aug  5, 2013 --  6:02PM, paulcarm wrote:What a f*cking joke. Australia lose because of the weather. Why the f*ck don't they just play another day?jesus..dont bet on sports you aint got a clue about.

If tennis can play an extra day because of bad weather, why can't cricket? England using bad light and rain to retain the Ashes is pathetic

Report Mr.Angry August 5, 2013 8:13 PM BST
Good point.  They should play for 25 days.  But to make it more interesting, they could break that up into segments of, say, 5 days, and take an interim result at each break.
Report rob_dylan August 5, 2013 8:34 PM BST
I can honestly say I didnt envisage the aussies on here doing so much whinging.  It is really quite pathetic cant recall us ever doing this.  We got well beaten by pakistan and south africa in the last two years, both very disappointing.  We took it on the chin.
Report rob_dylan August 5, 2013 8:42 PM BST
Sometimes a score may flatter one team (windies beat us 1-0 then we beat aus 2-1 in 2009 then we drew away v saffers... All three series flattered one team imo but dont argue with the result) the result is the result.  Deal with it.
Report maggot August 5, 2013 9:00 PM BST
rob dylan...

What the feck are you on about ?

Not sure exactly what your agenda is, but you spout nothing but sh1t, all day long.

Get a room with BJT, and give us all a rest.

Why not stick to what you're good at.... Starting pointless threads about what you're eating for your supper... Incredibly interesting..Cry
Report rob_dylan August 5, 2013 9:37 PM BST
Blimey, you sound like youve been waiting ages to get the dinner threads thing off your chest.  It aint poison feller.

Just saying whinging about results is pathetic, in fact wasnt that quite clear.
Report badger47 August 6, 2013 12:49 AM BST
It's a real pity the intelligent debate about the game, odds, value etc is buried so deep under the pages of nationalistic rubbish, maybe a few strategic user blocks might make these threads vaguely useful.
Report buddeliea August 6, 2013 6:53 AM BST
all the time this us against them mentality exists im afraid that will keep happening badger.
people should remember this is a sport,and cricket at that.
bad enough with the ridiculous attitude when we play Germany at football,war and all that,but football is football and weve come to expect that.
we have now got to the stage when people who pay good money to watch sky sports actually want England to win so badly they would rather their money was spent on watching rainfall. so sad imo
I want england to win,but given the choice of watching 5 close matches and maybe losing at the end,i would take that everytime,rather than wishing for the weather to stop play.
nationalistic rubbish indeed.
Report rob_dylan August 6, 2013 7:35 AM BST
I love all this nationalistic rubbish.  One of the best things about yesterdays win was how much it irritated the aussies.  They aint gonna go the way of the windies (no true english cricket fan enjoys the thrashings we have given them over the last decade or so) because this will be hurting them and they will be back.  So in the meantime I shall enjoy it.  Cant be doing with all this "I want a contest", "oh no true cricket fan enjoys a rained off day" nonsense.  There is a time to enjoy good cricket ( Lara 375 and 400) and there is a time to enjoy winning (yesterday).
Report Whisperingdeath August 6, 2013 10:34 AM BST
badger,

plenty of people on here discus the issues some like to add a dollop of schadenfreude for a bit of fun.  Some like a bit of fencing with the opposition.  Take what you want from the post's and ignore the rubbish and wind up merchants.

Everyone knows England got lucky and sometimes denying it causes anger to the opposition.  To hear the whinging from the convicts about the booing of Warne was nectar from the Gods for me.  The only thing that could have made that better was knowing that some of them were serious with their objections!

England got shown up in this match for their fragile batting and use of Bresnan as a bolster.  Try as he does he is not a wicket taker and should be replaced with Onions at Durham and Finn or Tremlett at the Oval. The bowler should be able to take wickets, scoring runs is a bonus and not the reason for selection.

Australian batting came to the party for the first time and showed our attack can be limited on a flat track much as I have said before.  Cook should be rebranded as the Leaning Tower.  Someone needs to sort this out early in his innings.  What are the batting coaches doing?

Australia are weak but have a reasonable pace attack and need a top quality spinner, we knew that.

Nothing has changed really.  I doubt any English cricket fan believes this is one of the best teams we have produced!

If Aus bat first at Durham I will lay England ( pitch and weather considered ).
Report buddeliea August 6, 2013 4:49 PM BST
Well Rob,i think a TRUE cricket fan would rather watch cricket than rain,but you have a right to say what you think as well of course.
2005 will be remembered for some time and not just because we won,but imo more about how great the series was,and that's cos it was so close.
That's my idea of the ideal test series,not a series that's ended as a contest in terms of the Ashes by the weather.
Still,we are obviously of different mindsets.
Report mafeking August 6, 2013 8:37 PM BST
this is still a very good england team. sure they ain't playing at the same level as in 2010 and 2011 at the moment but in all likelihood the current players will end up being the top 3 test run scorers of all time for england (cook, KP, bell) , 2 of the top 3 all time wicket takers and one of the top 2 keeper batsman england have ever had (alec stewart being the other) and then there's joe root who's  has the makings the best young batsman england have had since lord gower
Report spassky August 7, 2013 12:16 AM BST
I would rather watch rain, if it is a tight match which could be won or lost if play resumes, than watch someone score 375. When there is no chance of a wicket it is worse than watching basketball. I love it when there are showers, cos anything could happen. Remember England v Sri Lanka ... how many overs did England need to bowl Sri Lanka out, when the rain stopped mid afternoon on the last day ?
Report rob_dylan August 7, 2013 7:16 AM BST
I mentioned lara's runs because they were games we were losing(though actually drew) yet you could still enjoy the batsmanship.

Can always appreciate good cricket whether it is clarkes runs on friday or warnes wickets at adelaide, just dont enjoy it.
Report mafeking August 7, 2013 3:44 PM BST
around 25 iirc
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com