Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
geordie1956
10 May 13 23:45
| Topic/replies: 9,295 | Blogger: geordie1956's blog
Intending to go for a couple of the tests in Nov / Dec - but wanting to organise it independently  - apart from the flights is it difficult to get match tickets (days 1, 2 & 3) and is accommodation & are day to day costs relatively cheap / or expensive - cheers
Pause Switch to Standard View Ashes in the winter
Show More
Report pxb May 11, 2013 12:06 AM BST
Australian $ high at the mo, plus our crazy labour laws means accomodation, meals, etc are expensive.

Apparently UK residents have to buy tickets from liscensed tour operators.
Report geordie1956 May 11, 2013 12:16 AM BST
Thanks pxb
Report Pastie May 11, 2013 1:34 AM BST
Geordie

If you know some Aussies over here then they can register as a member of the Australian Cricket family and get first dibs at tickets.

I'm a Brit living in Aus and I found it very easy to get tickets for all days at the MCG and the SCG. I'm not sure about the other tests though. I also registered as a member of the Aus Cricket Family so this probably helped to make it easier. Not sure how easy / difficult it is otherwise.

http://www.cricket.com.au/fans/australian-cricket-family

In my experience a decent hotel in Sydney is more expensive than a decent one in Melbourne. In Sydney you're probably looking at $250 a night. Melbourne about $200. However, you could probably get a more basic hotel much cheaper though.

As pxb mentioned, the Aussie dollar is very strong against the old Pound. Australia is quite expensive - even more so if you're exchanging pounds to spend here.

For example, the last time I popped up to Sydney I paid $10 for a pint near the Rocks. That's about 6.50.

However, don't let the cost put you off.
Report mafeking May 11, 2013 3:23 PM BST
it's unbelievably expensive. i'd say you should budget for about £75 a day spending money if you like a drink
Report pxb May 12, 2013 1:09 AM BST
If you are interested in the Perth Test you can get a 1 bedroom self contained apartment at Quest South Perth for $220 a night for the test dates. A pleasant 20 minute walk along the river to the WACA. A bottleshop and a couple of decent restaurants across the road and a 5 min walk to burger and chicken fast food.

And around  the corner from me. If you make it. Post a note here and I'll drop by and buy you a beer.
Report rob_dylan May 12, 2013 8:46 AM BST
Im doing melbourne and sydney, barmy army website has loads of info, managed to get my flights for nine hundred quid... Turkish airlines return to kuala lumpar and then air asia do very reasonable prices KL to melbourne and sydney to KL.  fifty quid for a flight Melbourne to Sydney.  If you can slum it it will only be twenty quid a night in a hostel. Free in sydney as i will stay with my sister.  Id rather sleep on the beach than pay two hundred quid for a hotel.  Aus dollar has weakened about 10 cents in the last six weeks. Tickets best off finding an aussie to join the CA family... My sister has done this for me, ive budgeted four hundred quid for the two tests, maybe less.... So perhaps 1400 plus spending money.  Spending money basically means food and drink for me, i might have to go TT in the grounds as it was six bucks for a schooner of p1ss weak beer when i went before, so spend sixty bucks and you just feel bloated and not remotely tipsy.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com