Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
kenny mann
18 Oct 12 16:18
| Topic/replies: 38,071 | Blogger: kenny mann's blog
Keighley man banned from keeping animals over death of dog

7:00am Thursday 18th October 2012 in News
A Keighley man who killed his girlfriend’s dog after smacking the animal so hard it was left with injuries likened to being hit by a car has been banned from keeping animals for two years.

Bradford and Keighley Magistrates’ Court heard Luke Simpson, 27, caused the two-year-old Shih Tzu’s liver to rupture after delivering a single blow in anger because the dog had made a mess on the floor.

Nigel Monaghan, prosecuting for the RSPCA, said the dog, Charlie, had appeared “lethargic” shortly after the incident at 7.30am on October 8 last year, but Simpson failed to take it to see a vet.

The dog, which belonged to his 19-year-old girlfriend Kimberley Stead, died of his injuries later that day.

“A post mortem was carried out and indicated that these injuries were most commonly found after a serious road traffic collision,” Mr Monaghan said.

“One blow caused the dog’s liver to rupture and caused brain damage from the brain striking the skull because of the impact.”

The court heard when Simpson was asked how the dog had sustained the injuries during an interview with RSPCA officers, he said: “I smacked him on his bottom. I didn’t smack him hard enough to kill him.”

Keith Blackwell, acting for the defendant, said Simpson was sorry for the “pain and anguish” caused to his girlfriend.

“The defendant is upset by what he said he did without thinking properly in the agony of the moment,” he added.

The solicitor said the dog’s injury was like a “delayed action bomb going off” and seeking help from a vet may not have saved him, but he said his client should have taken him for help.

Simpson, of Laycock Lane, admitted causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal by subjecting it to physical violence and failing to protect it from pain, injury or suffering.

The court heard he had been out of work for 12 months, but was due to start work as an electrician on a housing project in Liverpool.

As well as banning him from keeping animals for two years, magistrates handed Simpson a 12-month community order with 80 hours’ unpaid work and ordered him to pay £1,000 towards the prosecution costs.
Pause Switch to Standard View Unbelievable sentence
Show More
Report RememberJeremyBates October 18, 2012 4:28 PM BST
Well, I don't really see what it's got to do with cricket but I agree it's an unusually harsh sentence. The thing is that because of "newspapers" like the Daily Mail people have got it into their heads that animals are cute and "have feelings too".

But the animal shouldn't have made a mess on the floor, should it! Let's face it, if your kid shat the floor you'd give him or her a good slap too, wouldn't you?
Report kenny mann October 18, 2012 4:32 PM BST
should have been chit chat, don't know how it ended up onhere. Thanks for the comment.Happy
Report kenny mann October 18, 2012 4:33 PM BST
I didn't mean it was a harsh sentence.Shocked
Report cnman October 18, 2012 4:40 PM BST
should've gone to prison for years. those who hit animals are disgusting cowards, as are those who hit kids, women etc
Report longshort October 18, 2012 4:57 PM BST
what a waste of my time..........kenny mann should be banned for posting on this forum for two years
Report RememberJeremyBates October 18, 2012 6:06 PM BST
Well, I would agree with that...
Report RememberJeremyBates October 18, 2012 6:07 PM BST
cnman • October 18, 2012 4:40 PM BST
should've gone to prison for years. those who hit animals are disgusting cowards, as are those who hit kids, women etc

---------------------

I was beaten as a child and (as I am sure you can tell from my posts) it hasn't done me the slightest harm. Indeed, it made me the man I am today...
Report sportsnut October 18, 2012 6:55 PM BST
This bastard should be smacked so hard that he dies.  If there is any justice in this world this man will die a violent death soon.
Report sportsnut October 18, 2012 7:01 PM BST
And rememberJermeybates, you are an absolute disgrace to the society based on your views.  If you really beat your kids, then you are pathetic.  And yes animals are cute and have feelings.  But you are such a low IQ idiot that you won't understand.
Report kenny mann October 18, 2012 7:07 PM BST
Makes my blood boil, should bring back the cat.
Report RememberJeremyBates October 18, 2012 9:07 PM BST
I don't beat my kids, because I don't have any. But if I did and they were badly behaved I certainly would give them a slap every now and then. The major problem with young people today is they haven't known any discipline. Look at all the reprobates who come to Betfair to lose all their money, for example, when they could be doing something constructive...
Report 1.01 Layer October 19, 2012 11:49 AM BST
Not half as cruel as breeding dogs like the Shihtzu as "cute" accessories or to other human ideals, in the first place. Purebreed dog breeders should all be done for cruelty imo.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com