Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Srichaphan or Ancic?
14 May 12 18:07
| Topic/replies: 56,153 | Blogger: Srichaphan or Ancic?'s blog
http://www.indiatvnews.com/sports/cricket/India-TV-sting-reveals-spot-fixing-and-black-money-in-IPL-5829.html
Pause Switch to Standard View India TV sting reveals fixed IPL matches
Show More
Report GRANTCKING May 14, 2012 6:48 PM BST
good god
Report stephaniebot May 14, 2012 6:50 PM BST
shock horror news...not!
Report d13phe May 15, 2012 1:30 PM BST
Don't worry the BCCI are investigating it Laugh
Report NC01 May 15, 2012 2:08 PM BST
Here's the article for anyone interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-18068413
Report jaga May 15, 2012 2:33 PM BST
i have lost so much money over the last few games, my own fault i know as i had opportunities to trade out but didn't.i'm done with the IPL, as i cant trust it with my money no more!!!
Report bbc2 May 15, 2012 3:03 PM BST
indian cricket on a new lowCry
Report Minny May 15, 2012 4:03 PM BST
Only the small fry being investigated so far. However, I must say that Munaf Patel was a bit suspect in his bowling/fielding yesterday. Devil
Report Srichaphan or Ancic? May 16, 2012 1:21 AM BST
The Kings XI player involved has said that more than 50 players were spoken to in this sting, and that he has been targeted. My reply to that would be, surely you are not that famous. The TV station has said they have no more evidence. If they had spoken to fifty players, surely they would have targeted much more famous players than a Kings XI second-rate player. Why would they target him specifically? Worsens his argument I think.
Report stephaniebot May 16, 2012 9:03 AM BST
Simples.

If you come up with 5 names, those that most of the public will never have heard about, they are going to see it as sorted.
If they discover that some of their so called demi-gods are on the fiddle, they will just go into denial.

So its easier to investigate it that way, and sweep the rest under the carpet
Report fairfranco May 16, 2012 11:26 AM BST
i'd say the lesser known players are more likely to be looking to try and make some extra cash over the big names anyway.

The big name players are on big contracts while players like those named play in the same side for probably relatively small wages.  It doesn't surprise me that some of them would take an opportunity to get more cash like those players sat next to them are earning.

The huge contracts that some players earn only makes the others want to have what they've got.
Report stephaniebot May 16, 2012 11:39 AM BST
Yes, but look at it the other way.

How much can these 5 names actually influence a game? Minimal to say the least, 1 of them isnt even playing this year. Whereas the bigger names getting out cheaply, batting slowly, or bowling badly...
Report Birchola May 16, 2012 12:11 PM BST
Any fixing these mugs are gonna be involved in will be spot fixing such as no balls and wides.  The corrupt bookies are gonna target them knowing they're skint and more likely to be corrupted.
Report fairfranco May 16, 2012 12:12 PM BST
you don't know what the sting was over though, it might have been regarding spot fixing type requests in which case it doesn't matter how much they can influence the game as long as they get a chance to bat/bowl at some point.
Report Lix May 16, 2012 12:18 PM BST
Arent all the players named mug indian bowlers?  if so, how does anyone make money out of them? they're gonna be expected to go for plenty of runs anyway.. MischiefConfused
Report wee eck May 16, 2012 12:35 PM BST
I have watched a lot of games this Season and have found them to be

ultra competitive my only moan would be that a few Umpiring decisions

have been dubious to say the least.
Report Lix May 16, 2012 12:48 PM BST
'ultra competitive' is sort of an indication of games being slightly stage managed though...

About half the games have gone down to the last over.
Report hotch1234 May 16, 2012 1:14 PM BST
The story doesn't make much sense as these guys don't play.
Report wee eck May 16, 2012 1:17 PM BST
Lix, was that 6 that Bravo whacked off the last ball when only a 6

would do the job stage managed?
Report ph. May 16, 2012 1:27 PM BST
the gods don't need to cheat for dough,they are on bundles.The lesser known poor quality local talent that are poor fielders,bowlers and low class batsmen don't need to be exploited.The superstars show them up for the pub players they are.Its the gulf in class on the park that allows the excitement.Ask these named bowlers to bowl tight when the pressure is on against Gayle or AB and they are jelly before the first ball is over the ropes. I think spot fixing can occur anywhere in world but its only the Asian bookies who get involved.You just don't get moody sus bets on over here.
Report mayburydrr May 16, 2012 1:47 PM BST
i love how certain  people look at this and say "ah yes, THIS is why i was losing my money, because its all FIXED!". a few people have made good posts above - as they say, its 5 nobodies who probably dont play most of the games. its also spot fixing which has the most miiniscule effect on a game. fair enough. a few nobodies are maybe bowling the odd wide for a bit of money. but when people complain that a team go from 50-0 thru 6, down to 100-5 thru 16, with sehwag, warner, ross taylor etc etc all international players getting out, its simply poor batting or good bowling. NO big players are involved. and these fixes dont affect whether a team wins or loses...
Report Srichaphan or Ancic? May 16, 2012 3:17 PM BST
there are almost certainly big name players involved, as mentioned on ITV4 yesterday - these are the little fish, but they are influenced by the bigger names, or they wouldnt do it.
Report ph. May 16, 2012 3:24 PM BST
They would do it,the big names look after themselves,they are on fortunes.The local talent can't be on more than $40k per tournament bonuses aside.The younger ones are fast tracking for exposure,the older ones who can't cut it at international level may be susceptible to a bung through jealousy and feelings of anger.Who knows? The problem is on the sub continent,the punters bet their heroes blind and the bookies stand a bet,esp if its loaded. Some just don't understand the gulf in class between quality and pub standard.
Report rohit79 May 16, 2012 4:11 PM BST
Am I missing something - 1 player spoke of agreeing to bowl a No-ball in any form of cricket but that guy never played in the IPL, rest spoke of Black money which we all know happens. Several of these players and other refused spot fixing whihc was also shown in the sting

Read all the pre-match threads where Lix, Nugget and I were discussing the Black money Gayle and a few other are getting.

Black money and Fixing is totally totally different, while I am not saying spot fixing does not happen I am not convinced it has happened in this IPL yet and I dont think games are stage managed
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com