Forums

Olympics 2012

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
betlarge
12 Aug 12 16:58
| Topic/replies: 310 | Blogger: betlarge's blog
...in descending order.  I’m sure you’ll disagree and there may have been other performances I didn’t see (although I really did try to see everything!), but...

NUMBER ONE: Epke Zonderland (Ned) High Bar - My performance of the games.  A scarcely-credible, never before achieved routine perfectly executed and landed on a sixpence.

2. David Rushida (Ken) 800m - Outlined his gameplan to his opponents, saying that he was going to lead and break the world record.  He did and he did.

3. Mo Farah (GB) 5000m - Incredibly brave performance to shake off five chasers on his shoulder to land the long-distance double.

4. Ben Ainsley (GB) Finn - Behind halfway through the regatta, he cursed his rivals for gamesmanship and told them they’d made him angry.  He then delivered on his threats.

5. Missy Franklin (USA) 200m Backstroke - Four gold medals and a stunning destruction of the 200m backstroke World Record.

6. Usain Bolt (Jam) 100m - Injured and demotivated?  Yeah, right: 9.64 secs as the opening leg of a ‘double treble’.

7. Keshorn Walcott (T&T) Javelin - 19-year-olds don’t win the javelin.  Trinidadian’s certainly don’t. Set an 84.58 target and then watched rivals fail to match it.

8. Katie Taylor (Ire) Lightweight Boxing - aggressive, unrelenting punching saw her to a rare gold for Ireland despite a real struggle in the final.

9. Johan Blake (Jam) 4 x 100m - Total destruction of USA’s Tyson Gay in the third leg of the relay set Bolt and Jamaica up for gold.

10. Netherlands Hockey (Ned) - Ultimately lost to Germany in the final but their 9-2 semi-final demolition of Great Britain was perfection.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 14
By:
Mr Eboue
When: 12 Aug 12 17:05
Cant argue with that.

Might find a space for the 15 year old who beat Adlington in the 800m freestyle.
By:
Charlton2005
When: 12 Aug 12 19:25
ennis??
By:
Poppydog.
When: 12 Aug 12 19:30
Shocked to see no Bradley Wiggins, which following his TdeFr, was a truly awesome sporting performance.
By:
penzance
When: 12 Aug 12 19:38
Jessica Ennis for me,poster girl,
lots of pressure on her.Delivered
in style.
By:
ArmchairIdiot
When: 12 Aug 12 19:58
Each to their own and all that! Blakes leg in the 4x100 was brutal.
By:
Far From Trouble
When: 12 Aug 12 20:10
Manteo Mitchell
By:
mrSmurf
When: 12 Aug 12 21:18
personally though Mo's 10km was better and was up against a more competitive field IMO - thought they played into his hands in the 5k
By:
mrSmurf
When: 12 Aug 12 21:18
thought
By:
md49vd
When: 12 Aug 12 23:47
2 which stick in my mind are:

The US judo winner who was abused as a kid

Anthony Joshua's comeback in the final round to win boxing gold for GB despite never even picked up the sport when the last olympics were on and didn't know who the last winner was. His story is incredible and to win gold in the manner he did, on countback with scores tied. remarkable.

i will also not forget the south korean who was robbed of a medal in the fencing (epee) due to a technical time error.
By:
Underpants Gnome
When: 12 Aug 12 23:56
Jade Jones in the taekwondo worthy of a mention.  Took on the very best and beat them all.  Her celebration was fantastic.
By:
Paddy Hair
When: 13 Aug 12 03:48
...in descending order.  I’m sure you’ll disagree and there may have been other performances I didn’t see (although I really did try to see everything!), but...

NUMBER ONE: Epke Zonderland (Ned) High Bar - My performance of the games.  A scarcely-credible, never before achieved routine perfectly executed and landed on a sixpence.

2. David Rushida (Ken) 800m - Outlined his gameplan to his opponents, saying that he was going to lead and break the world record.  He did and he did.

3. Mo Farah (GB) 5000m - Incredibly brave performance to shake off five chasers on his shoulder to land the long-distance double.

4. Jessica Ennis, the Face of the Olympics yet still managed to deliver.

5. The Lithuanian girl swimmer from Plymouth who didn't know how good she was.

6. Usain Bolt (Jam) 100m - Injured and demotivated?  Yeah, right: 9.64 secs as the opening leg of a ‘double treble’.

7. The Guy who won the 400 mtres having swapped names with Pistorious in the earlier heats ( a genuine piece of sportsmanship as i have ever  seen) so glad he won the Gold Medal.

8. Katie Taylor (Ire) Lightweight Boxing - aggressive, unrelenting punching saw her to a rare gold for Ireland despite a real struggle in the final.

9. Bradley Wiggins, to have done what he did so soon after winning the Tour De France is amazing.

10. Netherlands Hockey (Ned) - The most beautiful team i have ever seen, the womens team that is.

Honourable mentions to Chris Hoy, Andy Murrey and the Scottish guy who got the Silver in the swimming.

The WTF awards to Philips Odouwu, Dai Greene, Lisa Dobriskey and Perri Shakes Dreyton who should have done better.

The reverse WTF awards to the guy who won the Long Jump, Grabarz in the High Jump and the Rowing Girl ( the pairs ) who got silver in Beijing but got a gold in London.
By:
HansUlrichApfelStrudel
When: 13 Aug 12 07:31
9. Johan Blake (Jam) 4 x 100m - Total destruction of USA’s Tyson Gay in the third leg of the relay set Bolt and Jamaica up for gold.

I think you need to watch the race again dude. They received the baton at the same time and handed it off at the same time. Clearly Blake having the inside lane on the bend deceived you.
By:
iamajambo
When: 13 Aug 12 13:02
Bradley's winning of the Time Trial was 'just another day at the office' for him.If he wins SPOTY it'll be on account of le Tour.The cycling fraternity will support him well in advance of the Olympic track cyclists but I think that his place in the above list should be replaced by that of Hoy.
By:
HansUlrichApfelStrudel
When: 13 Aug 12 18:19
Agreed Jambo.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel