Forums

Olympics 2012

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mystic Wind
11 Jul 12 13:38
| Topic/replies: 412 | Blogger: Mystic Wind's blog
My first bet of the Olympics (won't be my last!). Boonen looks tremendous value, surely the Tour De France boys will be too knackered.

0.5pts Tom Boonen @ 12/1

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/7936723/tom-boonen-skipping-tour-de-france-put-focus-2012-london-games
Pause Switch to Standard View Cycling Road Race
Show More
Report Aviboyd July 28, 2012 4:07 PM BST
Won't be void.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:07 PM BST
He was added towards the end will.
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:08 PM BST
betting n cycling is new to me and all the cyclists should have been on it. i may have selected him had been on the list
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:08 PM BST
lol ace, you could have laid all the other ones though, so it's fine.
Report Insanity Later July 28, 2012 4:08 PM BST
Not really fair on the other riders when they rode 260 kilometers and Vino only joins in with 2k to go.
Report limited ability July 28, 2012 4:08 PM BST
Well i have not been paid yet, but it probably is not settled until winners on podium
Report TheVis July 28, 2012 4:09 PM BST
Cheers Lori I don't be on cycling so didn't know what the standard rules are......
Report PRESIDENT ROBERT MUGABE July 28, 2012 4:09 PM BST
Hope this is not a sign of things to come, Betfair taking an age to settle olympic markets ffssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Report rogerthatletmetrywithanotherfilm July 28, 2012 4:09 PM BST
will23 28 Jul 12 16:07 Joined: 05 Oct 02 | Topic/replies: 12 | Blogger: will23's blog
VINO WAS ADDED IN THE LAST MINUTE ... BUT IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN A FULL BROWSER REFRESH TO SEE THE RIDER .. I WAS SCANNING TO TRY AND BACK VINO AND HE WAS NOT THERE ... THIS MARKET MUST BE VOIDED

This is what i said will, he wasnt on my list, even at the end. i had to completely refresh the market. This will have to be voided.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:09 PM BST
Always takes an age Robert, they settle on podium presentation usually I think.
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:10 PM BST
they have to void and refund...they cant get away with this
Report marychain1 July 28, 2012 4:10 PM BST
We all know its a f**king joke, but there's no refunds coming, sorry.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:11 PM BST
lol ace, first rule of betting is to read the rules.

Agree entirely that it's terrible market management, but if you wanted to back him then you had the option to phone in. You also had the option to lay the only other guy with a chance.
Report rogerthatletmetrywithanotherfilm July 28, 2012 4:11 PM BST
just to recap, people where betting on uran as the winner was not on their list as it required a full refresh of the page, not just the market.

betfair will have to void as to most users the winner wasnt even on their list as they passed the finishing line.
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:11 PM BST
when paddy power makes mistakes they ut their hands up they dont try and cover it up by slipping someone not initially listed onto the page
Report Aviboyd July 28, 2012 4:12 PM BST
According to the official website there were 144 runners.  Gruss was showing me 143 of them, the only one missing was the winner.  Looks a BF c0ck up pure and simple to me.
Report Ghostdog July 28, 2012 4:12 PM BST
I accept that the IOC fked over the BBC with lack of times, but the comms should have a back up plan.

A few blokes with stopwatches and radios could have saved it.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:12 PM BST
Suggest you take that up with Gruss, not with betfair. The winner was listed on the site at the end, no matter how crap it was that they added him so ridiculously late.
Report Welshy July 28, 2012 4:12 PM BST
This market will not be actively managed therefore it is the responsibility of all customers to manage their positions - simple, those wanting it voided obviously lost money ;)
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:13 PM BST
why should i spend my hard earned on a telephone...its not my job to find the names of the competitors
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:13 PM BST
Actually, if you want to bet on something, it's entirely your job to be aware what you're betting on.
Report KIMBLE July 28, 2012 4:14 PM BST
anyone know how injured spartacus is, did he break the collar bone?
Report Aviboyd July 28, 2012 4:14 PM BST
FFS Lori - put Gruss aside a moment.  What I'm saying is BF had 143 runners on the list when I loaded Gruss this morning, the whole field except for the winner, so whoever added the field missed ONE runner off and as sods law would have it...
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:15 PM BST
the fact is i may have selected him had he been there at the beginning
Report Welshy July 28, 2012 4:15 PM BST
Actually, if you want to bet on something, it's entirely your job to be aware what you're betting on.

Correct Lori !!!
Report rogerthatletmetrywithanotherfilm July 28, 2012 4:16 PM BST
my betfair didnt have the winner at the end...
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:16 PM BST
a fun bet on the cycling could have been  profitable had the winner been on the list
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:16 PM BST
Oh I see what you mean Aviboyd, that's pretty hilarious/horrible.

You could have phoned in to have had him added ace, that's why that line is there in the rules.

You could have had a fun bet on him if you'd asked them to list him. You could even have emailed in if you can't afford a telephone - you may even have won enough to buy a telephone as he would have been a big price.
Report chathamjack July 28, 2012 4:17 PM BST
why would they void bets because you didn't refresh your browser? it's like phoning them telling you couldn't lay off because your copy of windows was running updates
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:17 PM BST
imagine this in the champions league betting
Report Fenway July 28, 2012 4:17 PM BST
Very very poor from Betfair not to include all runners. But no way they can void it, sadly Sad
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:17 PM BST
It's happened in the UEFA cup oddly enough now you mention it.
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:17 PM BST
oh we forgot basle brush lets slip them in
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:18 PM BST
Some guy backed all the listed runners at 85-90% over and over again and forgot the champions league 3rd places get put into the event. 4-5 years ago.
Report Bask3tCase July 28, 2012 4:18 PM BST
I just think that putting Vino in right at the last minute, when Betfair clearly knew that they'd made a huge c**k-up, is nothing short of cynical. It blatantly shows the contempt that Betfair have for their users. Vino was only added so they could scoop their commission and PC. They have no class as a company if they don't do something to recompense those affected.
Report Welshy July 28, 2012 4:18 PM BST
If anyone thought he would have won they had 6 hours of racing to notice he wasnt on the list and ask for it, no one considered him and now your trying to say you would have bet on him if he had been on the list - get a grip !!!!
Report GoBallistic July 28, 2012 4:19 PM BST
Wiggins wasn't in the market either. But 40 no hopers who probably haven't finished yet were in there.

As for Uran - he wasn't even on the official start list - almost cost me a fortune until I realised he was racing
Report rogerthatletmetrywithanotherfilm July 28, 2012 4:20 PM BST
he wasnt on my list, i was refreshing the market, how was i to know they had added another competitor. you cant bet on somethign when the winners not listed. does it say in the rules others may be added?
Report Aviboyd July 28, 2012 4:20 PM BST
As per the rules the bets should stand.  There is an interesting argument however in that the market wasn't traded 'normally' as the runner up was 5.2/5.5 on the suspend.  There has been a precedent for voiding such markets in the past.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:20 PM BST
It says exactly that roger yes.

non-featured selections may be added to this market on request.
Report charlatan July 28, 2012 4:20 PM BST
they would have had to settle it with all lays as losers even if they hadn't put vino in. has happened before on low profile cycling events where they don't include the whole field.
Report YouStartedIt July 28, 2012 4:20 PM BST
There should be an 'Altro'. Easy enough, lump all the rags in one place.
Report Igorus July 28, 2012 4:20 PM BST
@Welshy he was in the 26 group that was ahead. When I saw Vino and Uran sprint away, I wanted to back Vino, couldn't find him, backed Uran @ 4, and somehow managed to green out by laying Uran @ 2.02
Report bris1 July 28, 2012 4:21 PM BST
only people who could maybe feel aggrieved is those who were on Uran, any others and you would of lost anyway
Report Charlton2005 July 28, 2012 4:21 PM BST
got to be voided (and I laid cav)
Report Zab July 28, 2012 4:21 PM BST
There were 145 runners. When I first looked at this market, I couldn't find Castroviejo and he was in the first breakaway group! I notified BF and they added him.
I've worked in data management and I know that it is not difficult for bookmakers to get details of the full field and ensure that all of them are displayed for us punters. It is not for punters to tell BF what to put on their site.
This is shockingly bad, BF
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:21 PM BST
imagine looking at a board to make a selection and the winner isnt on it lol...and they try and tell us that we should have told them
Report bris1 July 28, 2012 4:22 PM BST
only ones who could really complain would be those on Uran, anyone else and you were losing anyway
Report rogerthatletmetrywithanotherfilm July 28, 2012 4:22 PM BST
thanks lori i guess my main point is why wasnt he on my list at the end?
Report charlatan July 28, 2012 4:22 PM BST
There is an interesting argument however in that the market wasn't traded 'normally' as the runner up was 5.2/5.5 on the suspend.

not far off a fair price if the drug test results come before the medal ceremony
Report Welshy July 28, 2012 4:22 PM BST
Well i also looked for him when it was just the 2 of them, couldnt find him so refreshed my browser and he appeared and i got my money on him, everyone had the same chance to to the same so dont see why people are complaining
Report rogerthatletmetrywithanotherfilm July 28, 2012 4:24 PM BST
welshy i was refreshing my market and he wasnt added
Report paddletoe July 28, 2012 4:25 PM BST
I checked for him several times over the last few minutes and he was not listed
Report soba July 28, 2012 4:26 PM BST
Weighed in Happy
Report Igorus July 28, 2012 4:26 PM BST
Market settled, got my money.
Report Aviboyd July 28, 2012 4:26 PM BST
zab
There were 145 runners. When I first looked at this market, I couldn't find Castroviejo and he was in the first breakaway group! I notified BF and they added him.
I've worked in data management and I know that it is not difficult for bookmakers to get details of the full field and ensure that all of them are displayed for us punters. It is not for punters to tell BF what to put on their site.  This is shockingly bad, BF

zab - to be fair I'm trying to ascertain the exact number of runners via the official site and the numbers keeps on changing.  Having initially been critical of BF I'm starting to sympathise as even the officials don't seem to know who was in the field even AFTER THE RACE Cry
Report Zab July 28, 2012 4:26 PM BST
Here was the full list, Vino et al ...
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roa20120725-Olympic-Men-s-Road-Race-Start-List-0
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:26 PM BST
theyve taken all our money m8..is it the bad and its been tied...they aint going to open the bag
Report Welshy July 28, 2012 4:27 PM BST
Suggest you upgrade your browser because he was on there, how do you think £7063 got matched on him if he never appeared ???
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:27 PM BST
its in the bag
Report Zab July 28, 2012 4:28 PM BST
Welshy - he was added in the last 2k. Why do you think the biggest price he was matched was 2.5???
Report Aviboyd July 28, 2012 4:29 PM BST
Thanks Zab, 145 runners on there, who knows? Cry
Report Welshy July 28, 2012 4:30 PM BST
Zab I know that but the point is he was available to back, its a case of using other peoples incompetence to your advantage Grin
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:31 PM BST
Funny watching him complain that nobody helped out
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:32 PM BST
perhas the majority of my money may have gone on him at the beginning had he been on the list
Report SamH_123 July 28, 2012 4:32 PM BST
what does he mean no one helped out?
he wanted a slip stream from another team?
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:33 PM BST
You should have emailed in and had him added ace.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:33 PM BST
Yes Sam, basically. The favourite expected help from those who were trying to beat him.
Report rogerthatletmetrywithanotherfilm July 28, 2012 4:35 PM BST
i meant he was after i refreshed browser but not the market. thought competitors wud be added wen refreshi nthe market. poor by bf!
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:36 PM BST
wasnt aware of all the racers...just picked 1 at beginning for some interest.. i may have selected him tho had he been there
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 4:37 PM BST
not a diffiult task to list all the racers on a page
Report charlatan July 28, 2012 4:38 PM BST
The favourite expected help from those who were trying to beat him.

from the teammates of those who had a chance of winning in a bunch sprint.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:38 PM BST
Mine refreshed and I didn't refresh the browser.

Those asking for more to be listed have probably never traded golf. The difference in speed when the number of runners gets much above 150 merits leaving people off or you'd be here complaining you couldn't get a bet on ANYONE.
Report alun2005 July 28, 2012 4:39 PM BST
Just saw the interview with Cav post-race. Got the impression from him that the other riders were on a 'Stop Britain' mission.

For the uninitiated like me, how does that work???  Blocking???
Report book July 28, 2012 4:39 PM BST
the winner was matched at 1.1,last price matched was 2.5.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:39 PM BST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaDAHUU1S9w

Was a bit like this alun.
Report Insanity Later July 28, 2012 4:40 PM BST
No, they didn't help chase the breakaways down and just left all the donkey work to GB.
Report themover July 28, 2012 4:42 PM BST
@alun. Team GB planned to deliver Cavendish at the end for a bunched sprint finish. In order to do that they had to chase down the breakaways. It's a lot easier to do that with other teams taking turns with the chase eg Germany, although anyone would have helped. None of them did and basically let GB get on with it on their own which when it came to the last breakaway (with the strongest riders in the group) they were burn't out from the previous chases.
Report alun2005 July 28, 2012 4:44 PM BST
Laugh Lori

Haven't seen them for years
Report spyker July 28, 2012 4:44 PM BST
Anybody criticising the comm is clearly an idiot as how are they supposed to comm with no time splits (or very little) ans no indication of who is in what group - there's  been a c0ck up but it aint the comm fault!
Tactics may have been wrong from Gb but surely some other riders had to help (leading the pel) if they actually wanted to try and win the thing?
Report alun2005 July 28, 2012 4:45 PM BST
cheers lads.

I know nothing about cycling other than I guessed they might be knackered after the TdF

How low did Cav trade??   Listening to the media he was a cert.
Report GoBallistic July 28, 2012 4:45 PM BST
But then GB only have themselves to blame because they were saying all week they were by far the strongest team and they were going to control it from start to finish. So everyone else let them get on with it (apart from the Germans who helped a bit but weren't going to do any more than that just to watch Cav waltz away with it)
Report bb66 July 28, 2012 4:46 PM BST
around 1.5 I think was lowest
Report Puggy4 July 28, 2012 4:46 PM BST
what was the lowest price Cavendish was matched at?...thanks
Report themover July 28, 2012 4:47 PM BST
about 1.49. When the second breakaway group set off its was closed down to about 1 minute at which point it was reasonable to expect it would be reeled in. When the Spanish set off that's where it was lost because they couldn't go with them or subsequently close the group down.
Report alun2005 July 28, 2012 4:49 PM BST
1.01 is in bother at the tennis btw......  Roger Federer

Served for match in Set 2, we're now into a 3rd. Playing Falla of Colombia who led Fed 2-0 at Wimb 2 years ago. I love Fed but I'll collect handsomely if we get a shock result.
Report Lori July 28, 2012 4:50 PM BST
Got it on, Fed looking almost disinterested not matter how much he's tried to hype himself up for it.

Proved he can beat everyone on this court, must be hard to really care about this "best amateur" stuff
Report alun2005 July 28, 2012 4:52 PM BST
Fed got sloppy at end of Set 2.

Falla was 0-40 twice but held his serve.

Fed served for match and had MPS.
Report marychain1 July 28, 2012 5:01 PM BST
I never heard any British riders say they were going to control the race from start to finish or that they were the strongest team, although I heard plenty of pundits say that.

The difference between this and the Tour breaks are plenty.

There's only 4 people to do the work in this, and that breakaway was massive, twenty odd men. Also, the quality in that break was incredible, so many strong riders. No way could it be brought back by Britain alone. I thought they would bring it back for most of it, but then I assumed Germany and Australia might do a bit of work.
Report GoBallistic July 28, 2012 5:05 PM BST
.http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-ready-for-pivotal-role-in-olympic-road-race

"There isn't a team as strong as us," Millar said.

"I think that every team that starts knows that there isn't a team as strong as us and everyone is expecting us to control the race. And we have to. We announced we're riding for Cav, we've made it public, we've almost pointed ball park, Babe Ruth style, in how we're going to do it. So it's now a question for every other team to strategise how they can make it difficult for us and we're basically going to have weather the storm.

"By announcing it, in many ways it provokes them to react just how we expect them to act. There's no point in hiding what we're going to do."

.http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-focussed-on-cavendish-bid-for-olympic-gold

"It's probably the strongest Great Britain Olympic team on the road that has ever been assembled," Wiggins told Sky Sports.

"We're all quite humble about our achievements, but externally we must look like a dominant force. I think people know what we're up to, what we're going to do. It's no secret Cav wants to win it and he's got four incredible guys to help him do that.
Report alun2005 July 28, 2012 5:10 PM BST
A touch of hubris for the Cycling Masters?
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 5:12 PM BST
lets see what action is taken
Report judorick July 28, 2012 6:06 PM BST
the winner served a suspension for taking drugs apparently
Report bix July 28, 2012 6:26 PM BST
What a brilliant race. That was real bike racing. Nothing wrong with GB except they misjudged the quality of the break and didn't try to get it back soon enough. Their biggest mistake was probably only having one plan and not being more adaptable to the circumstances and putting someone in the break.
Report ClayDavis July 28, 2012 6:31 PM BST
They tried to pull the break back. Too much quality in the break. They had no chance of reeling it in. They should have made sure David Millar was in any meaningful break today
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 8:08 PM BST
disgraceful
Report the_ace10 July 28, 2012 8:10 PM BST
wouldnt get that from pp
Report maggot July 28, 2012 8:25 PM BST
Won by a cheat. Disgraceful.

Millar also a cheat, so shouldn't have been there either.
Report wombleoz July 29, 2012 3:02 AM BST
Sad to see a drug cheat win - surely life bans make more sense

In saying that, was a great race - always good to see the riders that take a punt on breaking away get the reward for their effort. Speaking of effort, Stuart O'Grady in his 6th Olympics, finished 6th and was largely responsible for keeping the lead pack away from the rest - huge ride

Why didn't Betfair just use "any other runner"???
Report ClayDavis July 29, 2012 6:43 AM BST
Because they listed 145 riders and missed up one....why didn't they just list the 146 riders ffs!!!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com