Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Sunset Cristo
25 Mar 20 00:20
| Topic/replies: 6,764 | Blogger: Sunset Cristo's blog
previous recommendations were Trailer park Boys and Curb Your Enthusiasm. any others?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 168
By:
duffy
When: 25 Mar 20 00:26
I'm going to tackle the 3rd series of Westworld, hopefully I might even figure some of it out this timeLaugh
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 25 Mar 20 00:26
The Killing (Danish)
The Wire
Breaking Bad
By:
RLKingPunter
When: 25 Mar 20 00:28
Line Of Duty
By:
Makybe_Diva
When: 25 Mar 20 00:33
The Haunting of Hill House- Netflix Scared
By:
duffy
When: 25 Mar 20 00:35
I gave The Wire about 6 episodes but couldn't get into it.

The Tunnel
The Handmaid's Tale

both really good.
By:
Deplasterer
When: 25 Mar 20 00:41
All 3 Fargo series are highly recommended, available on Netflix.
By:
casemoney
When: 25 Mar 20 01:32
Fargo and divas hill house very good

On DPLAY you can stream a series Called a crime to remember season 1 , Crimes from the 50s and 60s brilliant series

If your into crime docs you will find no better , I have watched series 2 and have 3 on the go They are a little harder  to get

HBO SERIES

6 feet under ,a few years old,series about a family running a Funeral business BRILLIANT

and contains the Most convincing screen couple I have ever seen ,I shall say no more Laugh
By:
Gibberish
When: 26 Mar 20 02:36
SC - it seems someone's already provided you with the magic beans...Curb Your Enthusiasm - I hope you took their recommendation.
I'm gonna kick off again from series 1 - it's the best comedy character of all time...even surpassing the greats like Fawlty & Rigsby.
By:
timbuctooth
When: 26 Mar 20 08:02
`Curb` was probably my favourite comedy ever, until `Veep` came along, and I suspect other `Curb` fans will enjoy it as much as I did. Julia Louis Dreyfus stars, she`s just fantastic in it. Six or seven series, plenty to binge on.
By:
Ski-Wiz
When: 26 Mar 20 08:10
Babylon 5. Star Trek - all of them. Farscape. Andromeda. Battlestar Galactica. Stargate. Auf Wiedersehen Pet. Only Fools and Horses. The X-Files. Hell on Wheels. Prison Break.
By:
John.W.Henry.
When: 26 Mar 20 08:12
Try Bird box the movie on netflix
By:
flushgordon1
When: 26 Mar 20 08:22
Last man on earth -Amazon series about a pandemic which leaves one man alive ,
By:
Johnny_Mustang
When: 26 Mar 20 08:59
Agree with previous comment about Line of Duty - it's fabulous.

Also, The Five by Harlan Coben was sensationally good.
By:
CLYDEBANK29
When: 26 Mar 20 09:00
I'm watching Minder again.  A bit of light relief
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 26 Mar 20 09:36
watching parks and recreation at the moment- cant believe i've missed this, great comedy. its on sky and amazon prime

just finished watching 'hunters' - diabolical to say the least. 1 out of 10 at best.

another fan of curb too, great stuff, some great characters.
By:
CLYDEBANK29
When: 26 Mar 20 09:57
I must have similar tastes to Duffy.

Westworld my fave. DoloresLove

Also watched and recommend The Tunnel and The Handmaids Tale

The Handmaids Tale takes a little bit of getting into.  Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia gives one of the outstanding performances I've seen in a tv drama.

If you like The Tunnel, I think you'll like Der Pass.  I'd rate them about the same and they have the same generic plot.  Body found on Austrian/German mountain border and you have cooperation between a corrupt,lazy but otherwise excellent Austrian cop and a driven, by the book German counterpart.
By:
bungalow bill
When: 26 Mar 20 10:02
If you can handle subtitled stuff
the Spanish thriller "Night and Day" on 4 catch-up is very good.

Saw it twice it was so watchable.
By:
sageform
When: 26 Mar 20 10:10
We have Sky movies but so far have had enough to do around our house and garden to keep us fully employed during daylight hours. I find time for the forum of course until it is warm enough to go outside. Spring cleaning should keep most people going for a day or two. Every piece of furniture being moved etc. Every drawer full of paperwork being sorted to remove out of date stuff. Plenty to do for another week yet.
By:
twizzle22
When: 26 Mar 20 10:18
The Crown is superb and the acting and attention for detail is 10/10.

Afterlife with Ricky Gervais is also brilliantly observed although not a laugh a minute.

Both on Netflix.
By:
CLYDEBANK29
When: 26 Mar 20 10:24
Hotel Mumbai the best film I've seen recently.  Grabs you straight away
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 26 Mar 20 10:25
Rome and Deadwood

Both get you immersed. Rome is also funny at times. Unfortunately it is not available on my version of Netflicks or Amazon.
By:
twizzle22
When: 26 Mar 20 10:29
With recommendations please state which platform they are available on..tar
By:
Gin
When: 26 Mar 20 10:40
https://www.justwatch.com/uk/new

This is a really good site for finding new things to watch and where to watch/stream them.

You can set it the services you have.
By:
Gin
When: 26 Mar 20 10:41
https://www.justwatch.com/

If you use this link, it asks you a series of questions about what you like/dislike then gives recommendations.
By:
twizzle22
When: 26 Mar 20 10:43
Cheers Gin
By:
Gin
When: 26 Mar 20 10:48
One series that doesn't get mentioned much but I really liked it was the Leftovers.

From Wiki:

The Leftovers is an American supernatural mystery drama television series created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta, that aired on HBO from June 29, 2014, to June 4, 2017.[1] Based on Perrotta's novel of the same name,[2] the series begins three years after the "Sudden Departure", a global event that resulted in 2% of the world's population disappearing. The lives of police chief Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux), his family, along with grieving widow Nora Durst (Carrie Coon) and her brother, reverend Matt Jamison (Christopher Eccleston), are the focal points of the series, as they struggle to adjust to life after the Departure.
By:
lurka
When: 26 Mar 20 10:58
Ozark Series 3 drops on Netflix tomorrow Friday 27th. The first 2 were pretty good. Bit of a Breaking Bad vibe to it.

The Virtues, available on All4 - one of the best things I've watched in a long time. Only 4 episodes. Shane Meadows directs and Stephen Graham stars. Some excellent acting and a great ending in it. Fairly gripping stuff.

Tiger King on Netflix - one of the biggest collections of oddballs and weirdos I've ever seen. True story. Not brilliant but some real WTF moments and people in it. 7 episodes.

Gomorrah if you have Sky Box sets is very good, the first 2 seasons especially. You can watch it or any other Sky series on NowTV and you can get a 14 day free-trial which should be enough for anyone to watch the whole lot in a lockdown.

BTW Fargo Season 3 was one of the worst things I've ever watched. Don't know how anyone can rate it highly. The first 2 seasons were decent though. Finished it just because I'd invested so much time in the first 2.5 seasons. Was glad/relieved when I finished it.
By:
lurka
When: 26 Mar 20 11:10
For those who prefer documentaries or true stories, the Jinx is available on Sky or NowTV. A true story and a real WTF ending too. A bit slow moving at times, as is The Virtues but both worth it for the ending.

Devil Next Door another good documentary on Netflix. About the trial of Ivan the Terrible an alleged Nazi guard at Auschwitz.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 26 Mar 20 11:35
Some great series put up on here, but if you're young and have never seen it then surely the daddy of them all was Dennis Potters "The Singing Detective" over 33 years since 1st screened on then the BBC(proper broadcaster then). Have looked but can't find where can be seen now not on iplayer, anyone knows please post a link as i'd love to watch it again!
"Them bones, them bones, them dry bones", absolutely brilliant.
It provides arguably the most vivid representation of the workings of the human mind ever realised on screen. “This is the piece of work I’d like to be remembered for,” Potter told The Times even as the drama was still being shot by its very able director, Jon Amiel. “It goes leagues forward from anything I’ve written.”
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 26 Mar 20 12:22
sunderland till i die second series back on netflix next week, i may be in it. Sad

another vote for 'afterlife ' second series back mid april- netflix too
By:
Gin
When: 26 Mar 20 12:28
Stewarts - You can get a used DVD copy at Amazon Marketplace for about £15
By:
Gin
When: 26 Mar 20 12:30
Cheaper on E-Bay.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 26 Mar 20 12:32
Thanks Gin.
By:
LOU MACARIS TARTAN B
When: 26 Mar 20 12:41
Agree with 'Lurka' I thought 'The Jinx' which is about 6 episodes, true story is one of the best series I've ever seen.  Very good with a great 'Twist' at the end.  Yes a 9/10 for me.
By:
CLYDEBANK29
When: 26 Mar 20 12:43
I'd go further.  I think it's the best true crime documentary I've seen
By:
HGS
When: 26 Mar 20 12:53
Never saw Still Game. On series 5 already. Very funny with some great characters. All series on Netflix. Later ones on Iplayer.
By:
RLKingPunter
When: 26 Mar 20 12:59
If you like a good laugh.        The League Of Gentlemen
By:
hfink
When: 26 Mar 20 13:14
Thought Patriot was excellent. Shame there were only two seasons. Think it's on Prime.
By:
lurka
When: 26 Mar 20 13:16
I watched Succession on Amazon Prime but I thought it was cráp. Nearly every character in it is a complete wánker.

But the main guy in it is in a comedy series called 'Bob Servant' which is on BBC iplayer and it is supposed to be good, especially from the second series. I haven't watched it but it is another Scottish sitcom about a Dundee burger van tycoon, get the impression it's a bit like Still Game.
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com