Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
terry mccann
30 Oct 19 10:52
| Topic/replies: 14,860 | Blogger: terry mccann's blog
Because the 74 year old "doesn't reflect" its values.
Pause Switch to Standard View SWANSEA COUNCIL CANCELS GIG BY ROY...
Show More
Report terry mccann October 30, 2019 10:02 AM GMT
So a few now decide who we can go see and who we cant see
Report terry mccann October 30, 2019 10:12 AM GMT
"Values" that have comtempt for freedom of speech and its citizens right to choose. Can you see the way its going?
Report dambuster October 30, 2019 10:57 AM GMT
It only makes normal people turn against the few who think they're the majority. , keep it coming,They'll all be voted out on 12th Dec
Report HGS October 30, 2019 11:19 AM GMT
He may not be everybody's cup of tea, but surely the right remains to the customer whether they pay to see him or not. Outrageous decision imo. He or his  management should never have been told he could attend there in the first place if they didn't want him there. Hope he sues.
Report Dr Crippen October 30, 2019 11:32 AM GMT
This is a good example of what the ruling Labour council are all about.

Censorship is what you vote for when you vote Labour, certainly in Wales.
Report Dr Crippen October 30, 2019 11:34 AM GMT
If it doesn't break the law then it's none of their business what the show is about.
Report cooperman October 30, 2019 11:51 AM GMT
When I asked University of Missouri law professor Frank Bowman about McCarthy's "fruit of the poisonous tree" argument, he immediately began laughing.

He continued laughing for at least 10 seconds, then calmed himself long enough to ask if I wanted a more...scholarly answer.

"It's just comical," said Bowman, who is the author of High Crimes and Misdemeanors: A History of Impeachment for the Age of Trump. "Their demand was for a resolution, and now the resolution isn't good enough.

"It doesn't matter what the Democrats do or don't do, certain members of the House Republicans are going to complain… they're not talking about substance at all. The evasion is so transparent as to be pretty comical."

When I asked him about McCarthy's suggestion that there was "no quid pro quo" because the military aid which the White House had held hostage was eventually released, his answer was similar to how he'd reacted to my first question.

"Wrong," he exclaimed. "If I hold a gun to your head and say 'give me money or I'll blow your brains out,' and the police happen to arrive before I've either blown your brains out or you've given me the money, that doesn't mean I haven't committed a crime."

I decided I needed to check in with another impeachment scholar, this time one with practical knowledge of how to investigate a rogue president.

That scholar — former deputy Watergate special prosecutor Nick Akerman — was just as blunt as Bowman had been when I asked him about McCarthy's "fruit of the poisonous tree" defense.

"That is the dumbest argument I've ever heard," he said, adding that this latest Trumpworld defense was "nonsense."

"The fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine only applies when someone's constitutional rights have been violated," said Akerman, now a partner at Dorsey and Whitney. "That's like saying every indictment issued by a grand jury has to be dismissed because the defendant didn't have a chance to be in the grand jury room to defend himself. I mean, that is just off the wall, it comes from outer space."

When I told Akerman about McCarthy's other argument — that there had been "no quid pro quo" because the White House eventually released Ukraine's military aid — Akerman was equally candid in his assessment of the defense's legal merit.

"Oh my god, it's just dumb and dumber," he said.

Akerman noted that the only reason the money was released was because of the demands made by Congressional leaders: ”The fact is, they caught [Trump] right in the middle of the thing. If they hadn't found out about this, Trump would've been pounding away at Ukraine to this day."

"If you take it in the context of the criminal law, an attempted bribe is bribery, you still can convict somebody for the attempt. One is just as culpable for the attempt as for committing the actual crime itself.

"They're grasping at straws. They have no idea what they're talking about and every defense they've come up with is just dumber than the next — I mean literally, it's so stupid it defies belief that this is all they can come up with."

Akerman said the "insane" arguments Republicans have made in defense of Trump so far underscore the fact that Trump has no defense.

"The Republicans have no defense here and Trump has no defense. If this goes to a trial in the Senate, this kind of stuff is going to go absolutely nowhere, and they're going to be made to look awfully foolish.

"You either vote to convict or you look like a fool.” Wink
Report UBLE/REGY October 30, 2019 12:11 PM GMT
Swansea Council don't reflect my values

Of freedom of expression and peoples right to choose

Very poor Swansea CouncilSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad

I would vote you out if I lived in Swansea
Report Do wah Diddy October 30, 2019 2:51 PM GMT
I liked bernard maning a fantastic comedian in my mind .
,But I don't like this type of gutter so called comedy he takes it too far .I don't like so-called comedians who can only get a laugh by using guttersnipe talk and filth .He's too much for even a man's audience
Report peckerdunne October 30, 2019 3:00 PM GMT
Bernard a ledge.
Report Crisp77 October 30, 2019 3:22 PM GMT
Swansea just announced the replacement Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFqv1QDI3Q
Report Ramruma October 30, 2019 4:52 PM GMT
For the benefit of one or two chit-chatters who obviously know damn all about comedy ... Chubbs is a far better comic than Manning ever was.

Mind you, 74 is knocking on a bit. I thought he'd retired a few years back.
Report elise October 30, 2019 5:21 PM GMT
I thought he'd retired a few years back.

might have, it's been the same act since the 70s, he might just be sending out random fat blokes in a biggles hat to do the material
Report flushgordon1 October 30, 2019 5:34 PM GMT
Shower of ****g sheepshagging welsh **** boyo!
Report macarony October 30, 2019 10:02 PM GMT
back in the 70s we used to laugh at the USSR and say that could never happen here
Report MALAY November 1, 2019 3:04 PM GMT
yesterday's man, funny as the toothache.
Report dunlaying November 1, 2019 3:53 PM GMT
Absolutely , not at all funny but should still be allowed to work .
Report HGS November 1, 2019 4:06 PM GMT
Nowt to do with whether we like him or not. Nobody has to attend. They took the booking and should honour it.
Report SlippyBlue November 1, 2019 5:09 PM GMT
Each to their own of course but I just find him to be very crass and uncouth and that's not something that floats my boat personally.
Report peckerdunne November 1, 2019 5:15 PM GMT
Bernard didn't do filth..............
Report Coachbuster November 1, 2019 5:39 PM GMT
Swansea council have gone up in my estimation  Silly 

Chubby Brown about as funny as piles
Report Coachbuster November 1, 2019 5:40 PM GMT
Manning would have been funny for his time but far too malicious with his humour imo ...he couldn't help himself .
Report peckerdunne November 1, 2019 5:44 PM GMT
No malice in his humour at all, he wasn't racist and it was expected in those days..
Report Percy Filth November 1, 2019 6:12 PM GMT
Manning was far funnier than Chubby Brown
Report macarony November 1, 2019 6:32 PM GMT
Didn't know Chubby Brown was from Cardiff
Report Coachbuster November 1, 2019 6:48 PM GMT
disagree pecker ,Manning was otherwise  funny -could have been massive  , certainly very sharp  with his humour
Report Coachbuster November 1, 2019 7:03 PM GMT
some of his stuff pure classic ... 'Jimmy Tarbuck is about as funny as a burning orphanage' Laugh
Report Coachbuster November 1, 2019 7:08 PM GMT
'he (Tarbuck) used to charge a fiver at the embassy in the old days ...i'd still give him a fiver cos he's still doing the same f:k:ng  act ' Laugh
Report DenzilPenberthy November 1, 2019 10:55 PM GMT
Chubbs is one of the best if not the best imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_skF__cao0
Report DenzilPenberthy November 1, 2019 10:58 PM GMT
Nowt that can be considered racist or offensive on the above video (when he was in his pomp) he tells jokes and that's pretty much about it,
Report Facts November 2, 2019 3:16 AM GMT
Totally crass, utterly lacking in any hint of cleverness, subtlety or irony.
Pure unadulterated and aggressive  crudity. And as such totally unfunny.

Same goes for Jim Davidson.
Report MALAY November 2, 2019 8:28 AM GMT
he's bad but nobody is as bad as Davidson surely.
Report terry mccann November 2, 2019 10:40 AM GMT
Facts and some others are missing the point.If a very few can decide who we can watch and who we cant watch where does that lead too? Whether you like him or not really doesn't matter.
Report The Dragon November 2, 2019 11:03 AM GMT
dreadful man but fos is what this is about
Report The Dragon November 2, 2019 11:03 AM GMT
sad decsion
Report moisok November 2, 2019 1:50 PM GMT
you can blame William Wilberforce and the abolishers like hannah moore - they wanted to stop all our fun in the uk circa 1800  ho ho 

mind you they were well into their booze too in those days
Report saddo November 2, 2019 2:07 PM GMT
facts probably thinks HIGNFY is still amusing despite using the same gags - sorry, cleverness subtlety and irony - week after week for the last three years.
Report Mikael D'Haguenet November 2, 2019 4:47 PM GMT
Why would you watch it week after week for the last three years if you don't find it amusing, saddo?

(Not saying it is, btw. Angus Deayton was still hosting last time I watched it!)
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 2, 2019 5:25 PM GMT
ive never seen chubby brown, but know plenty of his gags

his flagging career will doubtless get the boost he requires from this ban.
Report Charlie November 2, 2019 6:58 PM GMT
He's supposed to be over the top that's his act. I like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aby4-Vn4YjY

He maybe on the wane but that happens to most comedians.
Report casemoney November 9, 2019 5:55 PM GMT
The head of Middlesbrough Town Hall resigned in protest at the town's mayor lifting a ban on controversial comedian Roy Chubby Brown, it has emerged.
Mayor Andy Preston made the decision in August, and Lorna Fulton, who had run the council venue since May 2018, stood down in September as a result.
On Tuesday, Mr Preston said the comic, from Middlesbrough, could "come home".
Report SlippyBlue November 10, 2019 12:57 PM GMT
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50352002

That's a bit dramatic and over the top methinks. Some people obviously like him and that's fine but to resign over this is a bit OTT.
Report trilby22 November 10, 2019 1:33 PM GMT
Live and let live, imo.  By no means a fan of his but it's not as if he's promoting violence or anything terrible.
Report saddo November 10, 2019 2:29 PM GMT
Good riddance to the woman, trying to impose your political persuasions onto the public by censorship is bound to backfire now and again.
Report MALAY November 10, 2019 5:39 PM GMT
fair play to the lady for standing up for what she believes is correct.
Report UBLE/REGY November 10, 2019 8:17 PM GMT
If the women wanted to stand up for what she believes in then she should not attend the show

It is her right...

But she has gone further she has has stopped anyone else attending by cancelling the gig

The rest of us are given no chance of standing up for what we believe inSad

Well those in Swansea anyway
Report UBLE/REGY November 10, 2019 8:18 PM GMT
It is right of ALL human beings to attend gigs given by Roy Chubby BrownLaugh
Report treetop November 11, 2019 7:38 PM GMT
Reads like a form of liberal fascism to me, often heard worse elsewhere on TV, at least Brown kicks off his show with a disclaimer explaining his language is part of the act.
Report boxingthefox November 11, 2019 7:50 PM GMT

Nov 10, 2019 -- 11:39AM, MALAY wrote:

fair play to the lady for standing up for what she believes is correct.

Yeah right, first censorship, then book burning, and we all know what comes next.

"standing up for what she believes is correct." that shyt has covered a multitude of disasters in the past that morons approved of until it was too late.

Report hello :-) November 11, 2019 11:05 PM GMT
we need humour

if its not to your taste don't go , trouble is a few random killjoys want us all to suffer like them

its tough being a miserable bast i guess but leave rest of us alone to have choices
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com