Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SlippyBlue
25 Feb 19 18:58
| Topic/replies: 30,714 | Blogger: SlippyBlue's blog
I play Talk Talk literally every week especially when I'm having a late one, such a fantastic band who played some of my favourite tracks like, 'Such A Shame' and 'It's My Life'.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0225/1032812-talk-talk-front-man-mark-hollis-dies-aged-64/

"It's My Life" live in Montreaux (1986). It doesn't get much better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbwz532EQw8
Pause Switch to Standard View Mark Hollis - Talk Talk singer has...
Show More
Report morpteh mackem February 25, 2019 8:03 PM GMT
just been reading, didn't realise he was 64, would have had him mid 50s.
Report GoBallistic February 25, 2019 8:18 PM GMT
Such A Shame is apt. Loved the last 3 albums and the way they got increasingly more difficult and less commercial
Report Reynard February 25, 2019 8:22 PM GMT
Saw them at The Milton Keynes Bowl back in '82 (?) . Chucked it down with rain for 12 hours solid . I thought they were good despite getting everything thrown at them from an impatient and unsympathetic crowd . RIP Sad
Report SlippyBlue February 25, 2019 8:29 PM GMT
I never got to see them live Reynard unfortunately but they were a brilliant band and yet Mark Hollis was just not interested in fame nor fortune for the group to continue. Such a shame indeed.

'Life's What You Make It' on full blast right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixRWvrkUHo
Report Make my hay February 25, 2019 8:30 PM GMT
just put   the Colour of spring  on which takes me back to the mid-8o's when I saw  them play a few times, it's such a good album. - RIP.
Report mad mad moon February 25, 2019 10:13 PM GMT
If that was the Genesis /Peter Gabriel reunion concert Reynard, I was there too.
John Martin, TalkTalk, and the Blues Band, then a 90 minute wait for Genesis due to the rain causing technical problems.

The Colour of Spring was a great album.
RIP Mark.
Report Reynard February 25, 2019 11:18 PM GMT
I waited all day for The Blues Band to do the Old Grey Whistle Test theme Grin

That and Suppers Ready Wink
Report smirnoff2therescue February 25, 2019 11:40 PM GMT
such an underestimated group wiv loadsa massive songs in their collection

R.I.P. MH SadSad
Report doridoru February 26, 2019 7:03 AM GMT
RIP to a music legend, their music literally changed my life, when I bought the best of in 1990 it transformed my music taste and led me on to the indie bands etc.

So underrated and for Its My Life to not make the uk top 40 in 1984 was incredible yet thankfully it is now one of the most played 80s songs there is, his legacy is going to live on forever...the greatest song been Living In Another World, an abs epic!
Report sixtwosix February 26, 2019 7:59 AM GMT
I recall when they first appeared and I thought what a truly terrible name for a band and they would have to be very good to get past it .......they were and they did.

RIP , a great talent.
Report salmon spray February 26, 2019 9:33 AM GMT
Iloved a couple of their earlier "commercial" albums (one of only two British 80s bands I am really enthusiastic about ). Still getting my head round their last two "difficult" albums but finding them increasingly fascinating.
I would have guessed Hollis was a bit younger as well but even so such a shame.
Report terry mccann February 26, 2019 12:59 PM GMT
Slippy Blue,you are right,that live gig is fanbloodytasic,great man and great band. RIP Mark and thank you x
Report attitude adjuster February 26, 2019 6:09 PM GMT
They had an amazing journey as a band .

They seemed just a half decent pop band who were likely to be one/two hit wonders

That's more than most ever achieve of course.

And then i missed their later albums till i started reading these incredible reviews in the music press years later
All sorts of people overwhelmed by their development/influence etc.

So i checked it out

Spirit of Eden (1988)

Took several plays ...the type of thing most of us bother with nowadays.
Not criticising...just a reality

But Jesus what an amazing piece of work!

The final track is called "Wealth" and has an  almost hymnn like quality.
Mark's vocals are heartbreaking stuff ..truly stunning.

Thank you for everything ,for the wonderful music Mark

RIP
Report doridoru February 26, 2019 9:42 PM GMT
They are like 3 different bands over 5 albums, my fave point is where the pop style met the later experimental on "The Colour Of Spring"

One of the b sides "It's Getting Late In The Evening" is like some amazing lost film soundtrack....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjnayJBrcrA
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com