Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
twizzle22
28 Nov 18 10:13
| Topic/replies: 7,796 | Blogger: twizzle22's blog
Moved down here 9 weeks ago from Essex/East London (where i had lived for 45 years).My daughter reallocated to Devon a few years back,despite having a highly paid job in London, for a better lifestyle.She had been pleading with me and her mum to come and join her ever since.So glad we did.

For the white indigenous folks East London has become a hell hole and that's no exaggeration.Where i used to work in Barking had become a fearful place.I was threatened with violence on more than one occasion for doing nothing more than making eye contact with a "brother" and refusing to hand over a ciggy even though i don't smoke.The street in which i lived which was once a well kept and friendly place to live was becoming an "Asian Ghetto" with all the usual negative aspects ie: unkept front gardens,litter strewn everywhere and the constant boom,boom,boom from the proliferation of back bmw's.( "you know wot i mean arry").

Here in Devon the first thing you notice are people are polite.When crossing the road cars actually stop to let you cross.No pedestrian crossings really needed.Shop assistants don't refer to you as "boss" or "mate".Dropped litter and dog poo is virtually non existent and the pace of life is so much slower.No road rage,No supermarket trolley rage, and no feeling of threat when you walk out at night..in a nutshell its like a time warp from the 1960's.

The golf course i have joined (East Devon) is the most delightful, picturesque course i have ever played and despite knowing no one before buying  here in Exmouth i have made plenty of acquaintances and been made to feel extremely welcome.

For anyone thinking of doing the same as me in leaving the cesspit,unlawful and thoroughly unpleasant place which is London and East London in particular,providing you can afford it,  i would not hesitate in recommending Devon as a place to spend the rest of your retirement in.

My only regret is i didn't do it sooner.
Pause Switch to Standard View Life in Devon
Show More
Report DIE LINKE November 28, 2018 10:17 AM GMT
I think I'll wait for the full memoirs.
Report workrider November 28, 2018 10:17 AM GMT
All the best in your new home Twizzle...
Report moisok November 28, 2018 10:20 AM GMT
WAY CYST  !!!

use wait till dear dianne hears about that - she will be down there in a flash - it's only 30 miles from her gaff!!!Crazy
Report casemoney November 28, 2018 10:37 AM GMT
Good Move Twizz ,you have forgot to mention One thing "Police Sirens" you will rarely hear them 

When I return to London I cannot believe the Amount of "Police Sirens" Plain

Not to Mention Traffic Jams and Filthy air ..

I hailed from West then South London ,Shepherds Bush resembles Mogadishu Plain
Report Callisto-moon November 28, 2018 11:12 AM GMT
I chatted to you earlier in year about this as we were thinking of doing the same.

I am really glad its working out for you both.

We decided to wait as our eldest is doing really well at school and I would not be happy with myself

if uprooting her changed that.
Report saddo November 28, 2018 11:41 AM GMT
India was forced into Partition in 1947 and created Pakistan, now it's begun here. Let's hope there will be less bloodshed this time.
Report Dr Crippen November 28, 2018 11:54 AM GMT
I'd move all the MPs and bleeding hearts into East London for a start so that they could enjoy the fruits of their endeavours.
Report TELL DEL November 28, 2018 12:52 PM GMT
Interesting comments twizzle22,but after only 9 weeks down there and your comparison with East London, I can understand you appreciate the lifestyle and slower pace and everything. We moved from Bristol to Torquay but after 5 years moved back again. Torquay and Devon is a beautiful place for holidays, been there lots of times, but going there for a holiday and living there 12 months of the year is totally different.

Be interesting what you think after a year, but from the description of East London maybe you will prefer this ! We were in our early 40s when we moved down, and maybe as a retirement down there it's different, and especially if you have family down there.

We went down to Exmouth about 5 wks ago for a day trip, and took the dog down, nice long walk along the beach, then went in that restaurant on the front (I think it was called Ocean Blue) very dog friendly place, took the dog in with us and had a lovely meal. I hope it goes well for you down there.
Report scandanavian_haven November 28, 2018 1:29 PM GMT
Another 'can't hack or afford the London life' rant Grin
Report invicta November 28, 2018 1:45 PM GMT
Good move twizzle, I don't think you will regret it, we moved some years ago to Somerset and not a moments regret, good luck.
Report TheBaron November 28, 2018 2:43 PM GMT
Does make you wonder what the locals think when they see all the White Flight mob arriving from London. I do hope they don't take their bitterness with them, would be a shame if they spoiled this lovely part of the country.
Report Reynard November 28, 2018 3:07 PM GMT
I left East London in 2002 ............... forgot to wave goodbye Blush
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 28, 2018 3:17 PM GMT
I can't speak for Devon, but in Somerset any newcomer who obeys the law and respect the way of life of the people into whose area they've moved is made perfectly welcome.

If they don't, then it's better for everyone if they p1ss off.

Same as anywhere else in the UK really.
Report saddo November 28, 2018 3:22 PM GMT
Ironically people are fleeing because newcomers don't obey the law and respect the way of life of the people who's area they have moved into, and they don't look like p1ssing off.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 28, 2018 3:26 PM GMT
It's the reason two Indian families I grew up alongside in Slough emigrated to Canada.
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 4:15 PM GMT
Welcome Twizzle. No better place in the world to live IMO Cool
Report TheBaron November 28, 2018 4:16 PM GMT
Flog yer overpriced property in London to an immigrant.  Buy another at half the price in Devon.  Buy another one and rent it out to a local family you've priced out of the market. Bish Bosh Luverly JubblyGrin
Report DenzilPenberthy November 28, 2018 4:24 PM GMT
Good news twizzle.
Report scandanavian_haven November 28, 2018 4:29 PM GMT
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHU7IhAAP_s&feature=youtu.be&t=72
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 4:30 PM GMT
The golf course he mentions is Bigbury On Sea (Nap) Cool
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 4:34 PM GMT
Thurlestone golf club (NB)
Report Injera November 28, 2018 4:37 PM GMT
All the best twizzle.

I quite often go to Somerset (near Wells) which I find delightful. Proper country folk working the land. Farm animals everywhere. Stunning countryside and very friendly.
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 4:38 PM GMT
This 18 hole, 6014 yard, par 70 course at Bigbury was designed by the legendary golfer and architect, John Henry Taylor (1871 – 1963). Taylor was a proud Devonian, who rose from childhood poverty to win the Open Championship five times, captain the British Ryder Cup team, and co-found the Professional Golfers’ Association. Understandably, Bigbury Golf Course remains immensely proud of its relationship with this giant of the game.

Heartwarming story which would make a good film IMO Cool
Report Slicer November 28, 2018 4:45 PM GMT
Well done and good luck BUT...…………….. wait till they put in a soft border in Ireland, patrol the Channel off Dover, and the scum, I mean illegal asylum seekers and economic migrants (cos they cant be classed as refugees) come sailing in on boats and landing on Woolacombe and Croyde beaches!!!
Report DenzilPenberthy November 28, 2018 5:08 PM GMT
Remember the Lovejoy episode 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' that was filmed in Bigbury On Sea a beautiful place though haven't been yet.
Report terry mccann November 28, 2018 5:10 PM GMT
Nice one buddy,England how it was I guess 50 years ago, I was very down there last month for a couple dayd racing,we had a pint or two in Topsham,nice pub on the river which served "The Blandford Flyer" Happy
Report terry mccann November 28, 2018 5:32 PM GMT
GawdCry
Report terry mccann November 28, 2018 5:51 PM GMT
Well if the West will go and destroy their countries
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 5:52 PM GMT
DenzilPenberthy 28 Nov 18 17:08 Joined: 14 Dec 17 | Topic/replies: 5,157 | Blogger: DenzilPenberthy's blog
Remember the Lovejoy episode 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' that was filmed in Bigbury On Sea a beautiful place though haven't been yet.

Lovejoy was perfect Sunday evening viewing....you could sleep off your Sunday roast dinner to it. I find Midsomer Murders perfect for that these days. Laugh
Report TheBaron November 28, 2018 5:53 PM GMT
Don't worry Tel G5 will have fried your brains by then so you'll be passed caring...always an upside.
Report terry mccann November 28, 2018 5:56 PM GMT
Ah the thoughts of chairman Baron WACTongue Out
Report terry mccann November 28, 2018 5:57 PM GMT
Only kidding Baron, nobody wants to be more wrong than me btw
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 6:01 PM GMT
Shame both my grandfather's brothers couldn't apply for asylum during WW2. They might not have both been killed in their 20s then.
Report terry mccann November 28, 2018 6:04 PM GMT
War is a terrible thing of course Whippin,proberly very family can say the same as youSad
Report doridoru November 28, 2018 6:37 PM GMT
Sounds much like North Yorkshire in the York area, alas not far away West Yorks etc we have the paedo muslim gangs ready to spread in the coming years, its game over for the next generation isn't it?
Report TheBaron November 28, 2018 6:39 PM GMT
Look on the bright side most of you'll be dead in the next 15 years.
Report doridoru November 28, 2018 6:40 PM GMT

Nov 28, 2018 -- 6:39PM, TheBaron wrote:

Look on the bright side most of you'll be dead in the next 15 years.

at 38 I hope not muppet

Report TheBaron November 28, 2018 6:42 PM GMT
Oh my God....if you're not over 50 and on this forum you really have got problems...seek help.
Report Hank Hill November 28, 2018 6:46 PM GMT
Glad you're enjoying it twizzle. It does have a knock on effect though as Baron was pointing out. The London leavers are also settling in to my part of Kent pushing up house prices and it won't be long before people born and bred there will not be able to afford a place.
Report doridoru November 28, 2018 6:53 PM GMT

Nov 28, 2018 -- 6:42PM, TheBaron wrote:

Oh my God....if you're not over 50 and on this forum you really have got problems...seek help.

?????????

Report doridoru November 28, 2018 6:54 PM GMT
Just you southern lot keep the hell out of North Yorkshire please, I hear that Rotheram is nice.
Report scandanavian_haven November 28, 2018 7:03 PM GMT
Don#t think it's ever crossed the minds of southerners to move oop north somehow lol.
Report DenzilPenberthy November 28, 2018 7:15 PM GMT

Nov 28, 2018 -- 7:03PM, scandanavian_haven wrote:

Don#t think it's ever crossed the minds of southerners to move oop north somehow lol.

Thank fcuk for that who'd want the likes of you moving in next door.

Report layemall November 28, 2018 7:24 PM GMT
"Another 'can't hack or afford the London life' rant"....says the one with the username "scandanavian_haven".....is that a joke username or did you actually move there to get away from it all, "it all" that you seem to regularly argue in favour of?...oh the apparent hypocrisy!!

...hardly a rant either.....an interesting and to the point original post imo......good luck to the OP....
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 7:33 PM GMT
Labour voting mod deleted my post about the UN migration pact? Filth!
Report Whippin Piccadilly November 28, 2018 7:36 PM GMT
What's the point of a public forum when you have "mods" deciding what can and can not be posted? In no way was my post threatening or abusive. Pathetic!
Report layemall November 28, 2018 7:38 PM GMT
Agreed....all a bit OTT.....whose moderating the mods...the filthy greasers?!! Wink
Report ronnie rails November 28, 2018 7:40 PM GMT
Twizzle
have you retired or do you still keep your hand in.
regards
Ronnie.
Report Coachbuster November 28, 2018 7:41 PM GMT
Devon is too nice/good a place  for folk to move to on a whim imo  ... there should be a sort of application like when you apply for a move to Australia .   

up my neck of the woods there are also plenty of old school Cockneys moving up into Suffolk villages and towns waking up the dead  ... they'd be more welcome if they didn't shout all the friggin  time .  Whats all the hollering about ? 

This influx has  priced out many locals too sadly ...
Report scandanavian_haven November 28, 2018 7:46 PM GMT
amazing how sensitive some people can be when you inject a little bit of humour, I;m looking at you laysmall lol
Report grappler November 28, 2018 7:51 PM GMT
laundon is great as long as you have oodles of moolah and live in highgate/hampstead or similar. if you aint, and thats most, its a horrible grind. contrary to popular bollox spread by wanchors like owen jones the poor in london are not those on benefits; they are ok. it is the people who go to work in comparatively low-paid jobs that are struggling. they pay to live in multi-occupancy houses with 0ne khazi shared between 4 strangers. there are alarming numbers of them all over london, stuffed full of people who are unlikely to escape. they are a goldmine for landlords but grim for the tenants. meanwhile those on housing benefit are never going to get a job as the social paying their rent makes working unattractive. and i cant blame them. it is a serious problem that politicos are in denial about. there is a geezer next door to where i write this who is 30 and able-bodied, and lives off the state to the tune of 275 a week, and has been for 2 years. he aint in a hurry to get a job.
Report layemall November 28, 2018 7:57 PM GMT
sensitive...nah....laysmaller....yes nowadays.....you swerved it..... yes....miss your so called "humour" on a regular basis....yes.....can you see me......hmmmmmmm Wink
Report layemall November 28, 2018 8:02 PM GMT
Don't let the b.......s grind you down...stick around Whippin
Report scandanavian_haven November 28, 2018 8:03 PM GMT
layemall...diddumsLaugh
Report layemall November 28, 2018 8:10 PM GMT
Think Denzil summed you up earlier in this thread.....enough said....rather politely I thought.....
Report scandanavian_haven November 28, 2018 8:19 PM GMT
Cannot read his hysterical posts anymore because he is blocked, he can try and send me a pm and it will say the message 'cannot send because this poster has blocked you' so it's pointless him even trying to talk to me, you're going the same way.Cool
Report layemall November 28, 2018 8:27 PM GMT
Pot and kettle springs to mind........it was you wasn't it calling me sensitive?....ha ha....do what you will.....but seriously, have no concerns about me pm ing you Wink
Report scandanavian_haven November 28, 2018 8:31 PM GMT
....diddumsLaugh
Report DenzilPenberthy November 28, 2018 8:42 PM GMT

Nov 28, 2018 -- 8:19PM, scandanavian_haven wrote:

Cannot read his hysterical posts anymore because he is blocked, he can try and send me a pm and it will say the message 'cannot send because this poster has blocked you' so it's pointless him even trying to talk to me, you're going the same way.

scanjem you log in and out to read my posts as you proved on Sunday after another completely unprovoked insult attempt.
The only reason you blocked me is because you couldn't provide answers for your statements and I made you look an rse when you kept at me,sure most people know this already.

Report twizzle22 November 28, 2018 10:03 PM GMT
Thanks for the positive comments men..very of good of you all.Wish this bloody rain would stop though so i can get back onto the links.

Ronnie...all finished with work now.I have even opened up a Coral account although haven't used it yet. When i do  know doubt probably be restricted to pennies like most of us on here.Hope all is well with you. By the way did you ever have that meet up with Mark?
Report irishone November 28, 2018 10:10 PM GMT
Fair play to you twizzle, did a similar thing myself, ended up in rural ireland still better than the fantastic ethnenticity of south london, or the highly praiseworthy east european enclave of littlehampton.
Report moisok November 30, 2018 5:36 PM GMT
OR the lovely hardly noticed 'village' of diversity HILLINGDON - now 50 percent - something to be celebrated

but at least we know there is no take over  none at all
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com