Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
posy
05 Aug 18 08:54
| Topic/replies: 13,963 | Blogger: posy's blog
Ex policeman Stephen Mitchell out on parole after serving 7 years of life sentence for multiple rapes and assaults. 60 years ago these people would have been left to rot in prison until they died. This country needs a Government and Judiciary willing to return to the old days...bring back hanging ,prison sentences which mean what they say , the birch and deportation.
Pause Switch to Standard View This country has gone flipping mad
Show More
Report Knight Commander August 5, 2018 11:16 AM BST
Maybe not the deportation as that might be to their benefit.

I was informed I was too old (55+) to emigrate down under so being deported there would be great Grin
Report STUDYFORM August 5, 2018 11:25 AM BST
I completely agree with the OP, except I'm not sure people WERE ever actually left to rot in the old days, unless you're talking about 150 years ago.
Report ericster August 5, 2018 11:28 AM BST
Human rights don't you know.
Report terry mccann August 5, 2018 11:32 AM BST
But not paying council tax is deemed worse than killing someone,defo prison that isCrazy
Report TheBaron August 5, 2018 5:47 PM BST
Well like me winning the lottery that's never going to happen.  Any other suggestions based in reality?
Report Facts August 5, 2018 8:07 PM BST
The words posy and reality is an oxymoron
Report unitedbiscuits August 5, 2018 8:08 PM BST
Laugh Or just a moron. Laugh
Report Facts August 5, 2018 11:23 PM BST
Not allowed to use that word. I received a Betfair warning email some time ago about describing someone as such .
Report STUDYFORM August 5, 2018 11:29 PM BST
I nearly got banged up for 28 days for an unpaid disputed parking ticket once. Only by chance did it not happen. Yet there were toerags and proper criminals all over the court getting £50 fines with 20 weeks to pay.
Report STUDYFORM August 5, 2018 11:29 PM BST
The law has always been an ass.
Report lybertyne August 6, 2018 12:32 AM BST
This is why the ISIS Beatles need to be tried in the USA and not here.  They'll get a proper punishment.  Look at the tiny cell the Shoe Bomber now lives in for 23 hours every day.  He's there until he dies, which could easily be 40-50 years.  Worse than death.
Report posy August 6, 2018 8:54 AM BST
Facts i'm confident that in 20 years time many of my progressive ideas regarding illegal immigrants,law and order and reform of the welfare system will be mainstream.
Report Facts August 6, 2018 10:33 AM BST
Really
Report Rockinron August 7, 2018 9:02 AM BST
"bring back hanging"
REALLY ????
1) Mmmmm - Guildford four alleged and convicted terrorist bombers - totally innocent would probably have been hanged.
2) Birmingham six alleged and convicted terrorist bombers - totally innocent would probably have been hanged.
3) Barry George ....convicted of murdering Jill Dando ...totally innocent would probably have been hanged.
4) Derek Bentley ...
etc...etc ...
The big problem with English Law ...is it's adversarial - it's not about "the truth" so all you need is a bunch of corrupt fantasist coppers - who engage the very best QC available   ..and you could be dangling at the end of a rope.   
Any other good ideas ???
Report Rockinron August 7, 2018 9:07 AM BST
"This is why the ISIS Beatles need to be tried in the USA and not here. 
They'll get a proper punishment"
Mind you - I totally agree with this staement provided of course there is irrefutable evidence that they did in fact carry out these dreadul crimes.
Report posy August 7, 2018 9:24 AM BST
Rockiron of course there have been miscarriages of justice however if the sophisticated dna testing techniques now current provide irrefutable (to use your word) proof of guilt then capital punishment should be a perfectly reasonable sentence.
Report Rockinron August 7, 2018 12:40 PM BST
Don't wash Posy ...
I understand what you're saying - but DNA evidence played no part or would have played part in any of the above "Wrongful convictions"
Moreover can be easily corruptly faked !
Example : Imagine you get the 7AM knock ...a dozen armed coppers have just broken down your front door ...haul you off to the Nick and you're charged with the Murder of an Ex-Girlfriend !
Of course - you'd swear you're completely innocent !   
Coppers "yeah we've heard that before sunshine"
Unbeknown to you ...Mr. bent copper (who's convinced you did it) was in your bedroom during the raid and when no one's looking takes a bunch of your hair off your comb puts it in an evidence bag ...then when in the morgue just happens to plant same hair on the murdered girl.
Of course in Court ...prosecting QC presents this irrefutable DNA evidence - you're banged to rights mate.
I can just imagine you with the rope around your neck about to get hanged ...swearing just like Derek Bentley I didn't do it  ... trapdoor opens you're done for mate ! 
And if you think I'm exaggerating ...a couple of films you should watch -
In the name of the Father ...and of course 10 Rillington Place.   
Just be careful what you wish for Sad
Report scaredmoney August 7, 2018 12:53 PM BST
.... and a lot more likely to happen nowadays

corruption in the upper echulons  of our society never been as rife

Sad
Report Reynard August 7, 2018 4:27 PM BST
The case against Barry George was flawed , thus his eventual acquittal . It was purely circumstantial . He would never have been hanged on the evidence presented by the prosecution .
Report posy August 7, 2018 6:25 PM BST
It was known at the time that Bentley hadn't fired the shots however he was an accomplice to Craig and as he was over the age threshold he was hanged. Don't think dna came into it.
Report ufcdan August 7, 2018 6:39 PM BST
"bring back hanging"
REALLY ????
1) Mmmmm - Guildford four alleged and convicted terrorist bombers - totally innocent would probably have been hanged. 
2) Birmingham six alleged and convicted terrorist bombers - totally innocent would probably have been hanged.
3) Barry George ....convicted of murdering Jill Dando ...totally innocent would probably have been hanged.
4) Derek Bentley ...
etc...etc ...
The big problem with English Law ...is it's adversarial - it's not about "the truth" so all you need is a bunch of corrupt fantasist coppers - who engage the very best QC available   ..and you could be dangling at the end of a rope.   
Any other good ideas ???

Yes, one good idea given the above. If proved at a later date that the Old Bill had fitted someone up they too would either face the death penalty OR life to mean life in general prison population........same outcome !
Report Rockinron August 7, 2018 8:05 PM BST
"It was known at the time that Bentley hadn't fired the shots however he was an accomplice to Craig and as he was over the age threshold he was hanged. Don't think dna came into it".
Bentley'd defence was when he said "give it to him"
He meant was ..."give him the gun"
Of course the Police put a completely different spin on what he said in Court. 
And Bentley was hanged at Wandsworth prison.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Yes, one good idea given the above. If proved at a later date that the Old Bill had fitted someone up they too would either face the death penalty OR life to mean life in general prison population........same outcome "!
With regard to the Guildford four ...Old Bill knew almost from day one those guys were innocent" ..but still fitted them up!
They'd never been anywhere near Guildford.
Certain memebers of the Police were put on trial ...got a "not guilty" verdict...it's amazing what a good QC and legal team can do for you in CourtWink
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Another dreadful case - miscarriage of justice "freshwater five"
DISCLOSURE VIOLATIONS LEAD FIVE MEN TO BE SENTENCED TO A TOTAL OF 104 YEARS FOR A CRIME THEY DID NOT COMMIT.
And so it goes on ...
Report TheGoldenVision August 7, 2018 8:45 PM BST
A few innocent people have been hanged in the past and a few more would have been hanged had we kept capital punishment.

But... how many really innocent people have been murdered by convicted murderers who have been released early from their derisory "life" sentences????

Released early and then murdered again??

Since the abolition of capital punishment the number is 119.

Now that is shocking
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com