Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
G Hall
12 Jul 17 08:27
| Topic/replies: 10,165 | Blogger: G Hall's blog
I know a guy who was seriously overweight and took early retirement at 55, he started walking short distances and know walks about 15 miles per day morning and evening and is unrecognisable from the tub of lard he was.
Pause Switch to Standard View Is walking the answer
Show More
Report twizzle22 July 12, 2017 9:51 AM BST
90% of weight loss is about diet.My daughter was 13stone(6ft) and lost 5 stone by cutting out all rubbish food(she is now a vegan).The amount of exercise she did was virtually non existent.The guy you know has lost his weight by walking straight past Weatherspoons and KFC..that i can guarantee.
Report G Hall July 12, 2017 9:56 AM BST
Lol you may well be right this guy normally starts about 5.15 am about halfway stops for coffee buys racing post scans racing for 30mins and is off again,some days he may do 20 miles but is much fitter and toned looking than I ever recall.
Report King Louis July 12, 2017 10:14 AM BST
6ft and 8st is extremely light.
Report KeenLeader July 12, 2017 10:22 AM BST
Not a bad idea anyway - I have often heard that living a sedentary lifestyle is far greater health risk than being overweight.
Report johnnythebull July 12, 2017 11:21 AM BST
that's a lot of walking man
by the time he gets back
has no time left to eat
straight to bed
no wonder he's slim
Report King Louis July 12, 2017 5:39 PM BST
How does he get home everyday? Seven twenty mile taxi rides would get expensive every week!
Report twizzle22 July 12, 2017 5:48 PM BST
Looks like i exaggerated somewhat Louis..just spoke to her and she is in fact 9-10
Report workrider July 12, 2017 6:38 PM BST
Guy I know just stopped eating sugar and the weight fell off him,he lost around 4 stone .
Report twizzle22 July 12, 2017 6:50 PM BST
Is your mate a horse workrider?Laugh
Report workrider July 12, 2017 6:52 PM BST
Laugh
Report ufcdan July 12, 2017 7:34 PM BST
Exercise will not help you lose to much weight it will however tone you up. Walking is a great exercise, cheap easy to do and will keep those blues away. I've lost three stone by going to Slimming World. Should of lost a lot more by now but it's a bit like austerity. Keep chipping away but don't see instant results so get p1ssed off and go on a binge Sad
Report akabula July 12, 2017 7:52 PM BST
As you get older any exercise apart from walking is dangerous if you are overweight.
I like my grub but cut down on the sweet stuff when I put on weight after retiring and walk whenever possible rather than taxi, bus and etc.
Report Dr Crippen July 12, 2017 8:03 PM BST
Agree with akabula.

I read a book written by a doctor on exercise many moons ago.
He recommended doing a specific exercise and then checking your pulse.

If your pulse was over a certain count, he said don't go any further. Go on a diet and lose some weight.
Report Dr Crippen July 12, 2017 8:36 PM BST
I think the first step if you're serious about losing weight is to cut out sugar.

Cakes biscuits ice cream sweets. That's enough for a start. There's no need to go hungry.

You can start reducing the carbs in your own time after the sugar's been eliminated and you're seeing results.

Why the rush in trying to lose weight?
Report lybertyne July 12, 2017 8:41 PM BST
I'm slim but I take the view that it's easier to watch what I eat now rather than get fat and then have to lose weight.  In 2014 I stopped having sugar in my tea.  Here's the maths:

5 teas per day =

35 teas per week =

1,820 teas per year.  2 tsps sugar per tea =

3,640 tsps sugar.  16 calories per tsp =

58,240 calories per year.

I personally need around 2,000 calories per day.  58,000 calories is therefore equivalent to 29 days worth of calorie intake, or roughly a month's worth.

That's a huge amount to cut out of your diet just by going sugarless in your tea.  Incidentally, about a year afterwards, my sister made me a tea with sugar.  It was undrinkable.
Report Hank Hill July 12, 2017 9:15 PM BST
Agreed DR C - you start losing it too quickly rather than an even amount and you'll lose more muscle mass too - speaking of weight-  I need to let go of a few pounds Sad
Report johnnythebull July 12, 2017 9:29 PM BST
doctors are amongst the unfittest f*ckers around
work in a sedentary occupation
do way too many hours
get too stressed out
will be six foot under b4 the majority of their patients
plus many have never or do not do any exercise
so who are they to pontificate?
basically,if ur an adult and u can't work things out
u need to see a doctorLaugh
Report GoOnThen July 12, 2017 9:55 PM BST
Eat less and move more is always a good maxim. Walkies good for you and releases lots of endorphins.I love my daily 5 miler along the Chess Valley.
Report GoOnThen July 12, 2017 10:03 PM BST
Walking ffs not walkies . I really must stop knocking one out to Barbara Woodhouse!
Report THEMONEYSHOT July 12, 2017 10:42 PM BST
I used to be meter reader for Southern Electric, some of the lads would drive the van to each individual road and then walk that particular stretch. I would walk the whole lot in one go. Trust me walking at a decent pace, for a respectable distance, frequently, keeps you in good shape. I was drinking loads of lager and wine (well still do actually) and eating pretty much what I wanted, so long as I was caning it around my routes daily the weight stayed off, not a panacea, but it does work.
Report ufcdan July 13, 2017 7:36 AM BST
Walking ffs not walkies . I really must stop knocking one out to Barbara Woodhouse!

Doing that is still exercise GoOnThen, anyway she was a mighty fine looking woman with a glint in her eye Mischief
Report zorrostrikes July 13, 2017 1:05 PM BST
i've ran, i've walked and they are the same except one is slower. you burn the same roughly.
but they end up with you all sweaty and tired, with slow benefits.

i learned to swim at thirty, within six weeks i was doing breadths, now i do forty lengths without stopping. i had weak hand grip strength at thirty and know i feel like i could squeeze steel with my hands. All that movement of the arms in the water have strengthened my grip. firmed my shoulders. it's a full body workout. but you cannot faff about, you have to swim constantly for an hour every time you go. swimming is anti impact. recommended by your doctor as the ideal exercise. girls in bathing suits too?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com