Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
morpteh mackem
06 Jul 17 20:55
| Topic/replies: 43,990 | Blogger: morpteh mackem's blog
think id go for the former but close decision. devoid of any melodies , lyrically moribund and perfect example of style over substance. without checking bet one of them was an art student. oh and s hit name too.
Pause Switch to Standard View worst 80s band- thompson twins or...
Show More
Report Mick Sturbs July 7, 2017 10:19 AM BST
Surely BONEY M   Crywas the worse band of all time
Report morpteh mackem July 7, 2017 10:31 AM BST

Jul 7, 2017 -- 4:19AM, Mick Sturbs wrote:

Surely BONEY M   was the worse band of all time

technically 70s mick, so not qualified although i agree with comments, dont even think sang on thier records like blackbox and kenny.

Report morpteh mackem July 7, 2017 10:35 AM BST

Jul 7, 2017 -- 2:00AM, doridoru wrote:

The crazy thing about all these crap 80s bands that did well, while here in the UK the simply brilliant Talk Talk had songs like Its My Life and Such A Shame that didn't even reach the top 40 when released! These days Its My Life is played more than most of the big 80s hitters, how did it only get to 46 in 1984 such a great song, guess Radio 1 ignored it at the time...

totally agree, and my original post is based on bitterness i had at the time and have still got ( im 52 and should really let it go Grin) , bands that were imageless ie pale fountains, friends again,love and money, go-betweens, the bible, releasing great singles yet no chart success for any of them, yet dress up in bohemian clothing, dye your hair wear a stupid hat, release a s hit single and roberts your uncle.

Report doridoru July 7, 2017 10:54 AM BST
Yup even sadder is the genius behind Talk Talk...Mark Hollis retired in 1998! all the music he could have made, while the usual 80s suspects are churning out their crap on 80s tours
Report terry mccann July 7, 2017 11:12 AM BST
talk talk should get a mention, only cos they were fooking superbLove
Report doridoru July 7, 2017 11:32 AM BST
Talk Talk were on the verge of massive world stardom in 1986 after The Colour Of Spring album...Hollis pulled the plug, no more live gigs or chart singles...Spirit Of Eden followed along with Laughing Stock, never bothered about the money, shame or we would have had more music lol.
Report doridoru July 7, 2017 11:33 AM BST
But like Morpteh what the heck was happening in the 80s with good bands ignored here? Talk Talk never appeared on the covers of singles or albums, never had an image...never played the game, just brilliant music, but were massive in Europe, Such A Shame top 10 in 1984 all over the place...UK not even top 40!!?!?
Report doridoru July 7, 2017 11:34 AM BST
Culture Club, Wham? just dated trash...check out Talk Talk, fresh as a daisy!
Report Coachbuster July 7, 2017 11:54 AM BST
Talk Talk were brillinat - but disagree about air play - used to play those two a lot on Radio 1  .  Too much pap was stopping a lot of good records reaching the 10 and 20 - a bit like now lol .
Report Coachbuster July 7, 2017 11:55 AM BST
if you listened to music a lot though you wouldn't have missed anything  then -  radio Laser (south east ) also played a lot of good tunes
Report donny osmond July 7, 2017 12:15 PM BST
i saw talk talk supporting duran duran Cool

(and first saw duran duran supporting hazel o'connor)

i bought most of talk talks singles up to about 1985

talk talk was my favourite, but that was a reworking of his previous bands song

a top band, and most under rated
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 7, 2017 12:21 PM BST
Have long had the Thompson Twins down as the worst ever but must say I heard one of their hits a while back and it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Would probably now go for Culture Club. Just cannot listen to them. Gimmicky sh!te.
Report terry mccann July 7, 2017 12:27 PM BST
love them too reform, that live gig in france from "86 on youtube is top stuff
Report Life-Lucky July 7, 2017 12:58 PM BST
U2
Report doridoru July 7, 2017 1:21 PM BST

Jul 7, 2017 -- 6:15AM, donny osmond wrote:

i saw talk talk supporting duran duran (and first saw duran duran supporting hazel o'connor)i bought most of talk talks singles up to about 1985talk talk was my favourite, but that was a reworking of his previous bands songa top band, and most under rated

Lucky you, wish I had seen them at their peak in 1986, from top synth band to guitar to inventing modern prog rock to retire before 40...genius.

Report sofiakenny July 7, 2017 1:21 PM BST
That buck toothed bass slapping midget from level 42 deserved a good slap.
Report doridoru July 7, 2017 1:22 PM BST
LaughLaugh
Report doridoru July 7, 2017 1:23 PM BST
Yeah Culture Club are exact opposite to Talk Talk, aged so bad where Talk Talk's music has become timeless even though most of us Brits ignored it back then, massive in Italy etc, one thing Euro's got right lol
Report cooperman July 7, 2017 1:28 PM BST
Went to a wedding with some mates in the 80's, the DJ played Get Up, Stand Up by Bob Marley so we all got up and stood up. Then he played Jump by Van Halen so we all jumped. Then he played Sit Down by James so we all sat down. Then he played Come on Eileen by Dexy's and that's when we were thrown out.BlushBlushBlush

Anyway, anything produced by Stock, Aitkin and Waterman.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 7, 2017 3:20 PM BST
U2 weren't just the worst band of the 80s, they were also the worst support band of the 80s. Saw them at the Lyceum in the Strand in spring 1981 supporting John Cale. I know it was U2, because they had some lengths of guttering behind them on the stage spelling out U2 in big letters, just to prove it.

The audience started out bored and indifferent, then threw out a few jeers as the band plodded on with a set straight out of 1975. And plodded on and on and on ... When would it ever end? It was simply plain embarrassing, as though the previous 5 years had never happened. The Pistols, Television, Joy Division ... it had all just passed these lads by.

The worst of it was, they weren't even supposed to be there. Subway Sect was the support on the tickets, and my mate and I had been looking forward to seeing them for the first time. They were a notoriously hard act to pin down, and frontman Vic Godard managed to miss yet another appointment here. I think he was moonlighting with a job in a Mecca betting shop at the time. In the end he went on to become a postman, while the frontman out of U2 defied the boo boys, going on to become Pope, and then ending world poverty.

Funny old world.
Report doridoru July 7, 2017 4:20 PM BST
Well screaming, I love guitar bands and most from the 70 onwards, you just confirmed why I can't stand U2, one of the most overrated bands of all time.
Report rogerthebutler July 7, 2017 5:26 PM BST
Johnny Hates Jazz
Cutting Crew
Bros
Nik Kershaw Band
Climie Fisher

....there really is stiff competition
Report rogerthebutler July 7, 2017 5:27 PM BST
Brother Beyond!

They really were armpit!
Report alun2005 July 7, 2017 5:33 PM BST
Go West and Wet Wet Wet must be SEETHING not to have made the frame.
Report echobelly July 7, 2017 5:41 PM BST
Late 80s (and early 90s) bands Jesus Jones and Pop Will Eat Itself somehow deserve a mention IMHO.
Report ufcdan July 7, 2017 6:50 PM BST
Saw level 42 out in Seattle, that's 45 minutes of my life I'll never get back Scared they opened for Madonna so my evening didn't improve much ! Milli Vanilli take some beating Imo Mischief
Report millhouse July 7, 2017 8:02 PM BST
Hold Me Now by The Thompson Twins is a great song, as is Level 42's Leaving Me Now, imo...
Report Slicer July 7, 2017 8:45 PM BST
Haircut 100 is fatally serious omission.
Report GoBallistic July 7, 2017 9:11 PM BST
To really scrape the barrel of the 80s you would have to look stateside
Report Deplasterer July 7, 2017 9:22 PM BST
Adam and the Ants shocking ommision.
Report cooperman July 7, 2017 10:30 PM BST
Only a short thread(so far) but still enough to give you nightmares.Scared
Report morpteh mackem July 8, 2017 9:38 AM BST

Jul 7, 2017 -- 2:45PM, Slicer wrote:

Haircut 100 is fatally serious omission.

cant have that mr slicer, love plus one, great pop song

Report morpteh mackem July 8, 2017 9:40 AM BST

Jul 7, 2017 -- 3:22PM, Deplasterer wrote:

Adam and the Ants shocking ommision.

magnificent shout mr deplasterer, always baffled me even as a 15-16 yr old how were they so popular with me fellow pupils ?
i was into squeeze/xtc whilst classmates considered themselves ant-peopleMischief. god they were s hit.

Report The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE July 8, 2017 11:52 AM BST
Classix Nouveaux were beyond terrible but like a lot of bands of that era hilarious to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiKC1FEc-A
Report Platini July 8, 2017 12:03 PM BST
Level 42 ?   wash yer mouth out with soap FFS.  They had some classic tracks. Mark King not much of a singer but his bass is right up there.

Thomson Twins not my cuppa tea but don't think they were that awful, there were loads worse than them in the 80s.
Report The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE July 8, 2017 12:27 PM BST
They did a music vid near a greyhound track gotta get respect for that.
Report morpteh mackem July 8, 2017 12:35 PM BST

Jul 8, 2017 -- 5:52AM, The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE wrote:

Classix Nouveaux were beyond terrible but like a lot of bands of that era hilarious to watch.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiKC1FEc-A

always remember review of their sinlge ' is it a dream ? ' in the nme- review just said - 'no, its a bloody nightmare'.
again another style over substance band,being bald always a good gimmick and give yourself a stupid name

Report The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE July 8, 2017 12:59 PM BST
Laugh
Report donny osmond July 8, 2017 9:13 PM BST
was driving along today when

"I ran" by a flock of seagulls came on the radio

a real classic

the dj reckoned that mike score is now bald as a coot Sad
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 8, 2017 11:00 PM BST
Saw A Flock Of Seagulls at the Electric Ballroom in Camden on the last Friday before Christmas, 1979. Fourth on the bill beneath the Bunnymen, the Teardrops and Scritti Politti.

They mooched on stage after a decent set by an act from Leeds called the Expelaires, only for one of the Seagulls to be unhappy with his tuning. Of course, once he'd re-tuned, everyone else was out of tune. Cue arguments, sulking and a right racket, as everybody turned out to have a different idea of what "E" should sound like. Then one of the Seagulls took exception to the advice that was beginning to be offered from the audience, and after a lively exchange of views the whole band stomped off stage left, never to re-emerge.

Four decades on, and they turned out to be probably the most successful of all the talent on display that night.
Report donny osmond July 8, 2017 11:42 PM BST
seemingly the score brothers were latterday gallaghers with their fall outs
Report Dudewheresmyvar July 9, 2017 1:00 AM BST

screaming from beneaththewaves    08 Jul 17 23:00
...then one of the Seagulls took exception to the advice that was beginning to be offered from the audience, and after a lively exchange of views the whole band stomped off stage left, never to re-emerge...

and they ran?

Report morpteh mackem July 9, 2017 3:37 PM BST
think i've thought of an 80s band worse than thompson twin but had no longevity( think they knew they were s hit, unlike tt or level 42 who thought they had an iota of credibility).

ladies and gentlemen i give you- sigue sigue sputnik
Report twonky July 9, 2017 3:47 PM BST
King, just dreadful..saw them at Liverpool royal court in about 84.. Did a 45 minute set ending with love and pride, came on for the encore and did love and pride, came back on for 2nd encore and yet again played love and pride..just bilge
Report SlippyBlue July 9, 2017 3:50 PM BST
I'm with m.m. as well on Haircut 100. Not my thing at all but they had their place in the 80's market at the time. Clean cut, catchy pop music and they had a lot of success. Nick Heyward is a very pleasant bloke, he was a Beckenham lad and I spent a lot of time there in my late teens and he was invariably in the pubs on the High Street as well and was always very amiable. By Christ that man must have had thousands of chicas over the years as they used to literally hang off him, me and my mates used to fight over his cast offs Blush
Report terry mccann July 9, 2017 4:06 PM BST
i can here you now slippy "you don't sweat much for a fat bird"Laugh
Report jamesdean July 9, 2017 4:09 PM BST
Went to see level 42 last month, decent Plain
Report SlippyBlue July 9, 2017 4:22 PM BST
Shocked Laugh
Report blunder July 9, 2017 4:27 PM BST
depeche mode ,dozens of hits ,none any good !
Report terry mccann July 9, 2017 4:30 PM BST
cant agree with that ^
Report SlippyBlue July 9, 2017 4:38 PM BST
Don't rise to the bait terry, Depeche Mode are my favourite band of all time and if you have never seen them live before then I could not recommend them highly enough. Truly magnificent.
Report redbag July 9, 2017 4:43 PM BST
howard jones
communards
men without hats
bow wow wow
hayzi fantazee

the list is endless
Report sofiakenny July 9, 2017 5:09 PM BST
If there is one human on the planet I am glad never to have met it would be Mark King
The grinning balding bass slapping midget clown of level 42 brings out an anger I struggle to describe.
Report morpteh mackem July 9, 2017 5:25 PM BST
Laugh
Report TheBetterBettor July 9, 2017 6:07 PM BST
SADE

Zzzzzzzzzzz
Report TheBetterBettor July 9, 2017 6:09 PM BST
Black Lace
Report attitude adjuster July 9, 2017 8:31 PM BST
Modern Romance seem to be flying below the radar here Wink
Report morpteh mackem July 9, 2017 8:45 PM BST
yes, everybody salsa is remarkably badGrin
Report smirnoff2therescue July 9, 2017 9:26 PM BST
Terence Trent D'Arby a shocking omission on this thread as are Dire Straits who in my humble opinion were aptly named.

Agree with everything said about Talk Talk who I must have got into thru Kid Jensen/John Peel or maybe radio Luxembourg at the time as they were deffo on my radar yet clearly not on the radar of the dodgy jocks of the time ShockedShockedLaughLaugh

Cant agree with the U2 comments - for me easily one of the best bands of recent times if not ever - first saw them at Gateshead International Stadium in 1982 supporting then one of the biggest bands around.... The Police and whilst they were still pretty raw back then you knew they had an awful lot about them

And Slippy Blue if you read this...... I see that Johnnie Hates Jazz gets a mention on the thread..... reason I mention it is that in the mid 90s when I was a regular at Brough Park their album was constantly on loop in btwn races on tannoy so I think I know all the words to some of their songs lol SadSadLaughLaugh
Report morpteh mackem July 9, 2017 9:35 PM BST
problem with dire straits is started off quite decent with 'sultans of swing ' etc then knopfler had a brain freeze and released absolute s hite- eg ,twisting by the pool,walk of life,  money for nothing. dont know if record company pushed him n a certain direction.

smirnoff were your dog bets giving you 'shattered dreams' ?
Report smirnoff2therescue July 9, 2017 9:52 PM BST
spot on wiv everything you said m2 CryCryCry the one that got away footy wise  but I wish I could turn back the clock LaughLaugh

And wazza/ willieshafter in his latest guise did at least help me get the jackpot up one night and its all different seasons GrinGrinGrin

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Johnny+Hates+Jazz+Different+Seasons&&vi...
Report donny osmond July 9, 2017 10:08 PM BST
dire straits was formed in the 70s

some cracking tunes and probably extended their life by being one of the first cds available

cant have them as bad, despite their fall in standards

nor terrence trent darby who i saw at kilburn national ballroom when he supported simply red

he was brilliant live, but after his first album he had some bad songs
Report donny osmond July 9, 2017 10:14 PM BST
romeo and juliet one of knoflers highlites imo

and he was / probably still is a top guitarist
Report smirnoff2therescue July 9, 2017 10:17 PM BST
we all see it differently Donny but that's all good as its what makes the world go round.

Never got TD personally but then I'm a sad sack that first saw Paul Young in 83 at the city hall and went onto see him a further 23 times all over the country over next 9 yrs cos I had never heard anyone sing like him.

I never knew the song when I first heard it but his version of Love Will Tear Us Apart by joy division is right up there with the best covers ever surely - think it was only an album song but hey ho google it cos its an amazing song
Report smirnoff2therescue July 9, 2017 10:29 PM BST
//www.bing.com/videos/search?q=love+will+tear+us+apart+paul+young+youtube&view=detail&mid=E82063D0A8E84D455DB7E82063D0A8E84D455DB7&FORM=VIRE

judge for yourselves lolLoveLove
Report donny osmond July 9, 2017 10:29 PM BST
i saw paul young when he was in the q tips, he was very good possibly 1980 ish

as you say its how you see it , but no harm in differing opinions in music

joy division were a band and a half mind !
Report SlippyBlue July 9, 2017 10:34 PM BST
I was never a fan of Paul Young personally but having said that "Common People" was quite a good tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVmjKHkgxis
Report morpteh mackem July 9, 2017 10:43 PM BST
q-tips' live at last' is a great album
Report smirnoff2therescue July 9, 2017 10:44 PM BST
young and daft then lads - was some singer wiv the two birds helping him out
Report donny osmond July 9, 2017 10:50 PM BST
i think q tips just missed mtv else they would probably have been huge
Report sofiakenny July 9, 2017 11:58 PM BST
great 5 a side team..terence trent darby county.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 10, 2017 12:03 AM BST
Haircut 100 weren't my sort of thing, but I found myself at one of their gigs in Hamburg in May 1982, and despite being 20 years old and possibly the oldest person there, I have to say, it wasn't a bad evening. The editor of German music mag Sounds offered his verdict on the event:

"Gut klingen, gut aussehen, gut unterhalten." ("Sound good, look good, good entertainment.") Can't argue with that.
Report Jack Hacksaw July 10, 2017 7:22 AM BST
Around that time I was more into The Clash, but I saw Haircut 100 at the student union and it was a brilliant night.

Also saw the Q Tips and a band called Graduate - who went onto become....?

With regard to many of the other bands mentioned, I think Top Of The Pops had a lot to answer for.

I watched an old TOTP over the weekend 1984.  Of course, NONE of the acts were singing live.  Should TOTP insisted on acts singing live, a lot of dross would never have released records.
Report squares July 10, 2017 7:41 AM BST
Graduate - TFF?
Report TommyBarnes July 10, 2017 8:51 AM BST
I like Reggae and I am sure someone will defend them but I simply detest UB40.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 10, 2017 9:25 AM BST
I found UB40 just irritating, but I'm not going to defend them. If anyone should have been the mainstream face of reggae at that time, it was Sly and Robbie, with all the quality stuff they were doing for people like Grace Jones and Black Uhuru. But the public preferred UB40.

You can understand why acts were happy to mime on Top Of The Pops. New Order were, as far as I know, the only band to perform genuinely live on Top Of The Pops that decade, and after listening to the GBH they thereby inflicted on Blue Monday, who'd want to follow that example?
Report donny osmond July 10, 2017 10:04 AM BST
i saw ub40 half a dozen times and thought they were great too

more so their earlier stuff .... signing off album

not a huge fan of their love of cover versions

i never really thought of them as a proper reggae band,

not only did bands mime on totp but novelty songs found it easy to
reach the charts...joe dolce, spittin image, don estelle Sad

still got "graduate" lp...acting my age and managed to download onto
my ipod, elvis should play ska was something of a must play at our parties
back then
Report SlippyBlue July 10, 2017 7:00 PM BST
I couldn't be doing with UB40 personally, One In Ten was a good song but for me forget the rest.
I spent pretty much the entire 80's going to gigs and have pretty much seen everyone that I wanted to including a few that I went to not expecting a great night but ended up rocking myself silly, Bruce Springsteen for example. I had never bought any of his records and didn't know many of his songs but that man put on an unforgettable show. I never saw Tears For Fears though, I just didn't get around to it but I'm sure they would have been excellent, Woman In Chains is one of my favourite songs. I saw Big Country at Hockenheim when they supported The Rolling Stones and they were absolutely fantastic, The Stones weren't that bad either.
Report ThommosBucket July 10, 2017 7:29 PM BST
Saw Transvision Vamp in the Octagon Centre at Sheffield Uni in 1989...

Wendy James came on to a chorus of get your t1ts out for the lads - at which point she said she was a serious musician and stomped off never to reappear!

Even funnier was when some dungaree clad 20 year old from the Student council came on stage to tell everyone to show some respect or the night would be cancelled.

You can guess the rest. Cry
Report jamesdean July 10, 2017 7:42 PM BST
Love UB40 and also went to see them last month Plain

It was there that Level 42 were the supporting act, great night
Report SlippyBlue July 10, 2017 7:55 PM BST
Thommos, I worked with someone who was at Brighton Poly with Wendy James. Apparently she was a very "friendly" lady on campus Shocked
Report ThommosBucket July 10, 2017 8:15 PM BST
She did look stunning if I remember correctly - which is unlikely - but not sure thigh length leather boots and a skimpy see through top scream "serious musician"!

Laugh

Talking of friendly ladies, a famous Newsnight presenter was knocking around Sheffield at this time and used to drink in a pub in a studenty part of town. She was also rather popular!
Report morpteh mackem July 10, 2017 8:43 PM BST
wendy james was in spinning disk record shop in sunderland with one of these record pluggers, i walked in and they she was trying to get me to buy transvision vamps debut single, just said 'nah im after the go-betweens new single '. she wasnt impressed.  Mischief
Report ufcdan July 10, 2017 8:44 PM BST
SADE

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Fxck off TheBetterBettor Angry many a time I had my bum bouncing with a bit a Sade playing in the background Love
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 10, 2017 10:32 PM BST
Anyone else been considering Emily Maitlis in thigh-length leather boots and a skimpy see-through top? And just had the mood spoiled by ufcdan there?
Report GoBallistic July 10, 2017 10:42 PM BST
I hadn't finished with Kirsty Wark yet
Report ufcdan July 11, 2017 7:07 AM BST
Or Laura Kuenssberg ? Lovely legs Love
Report ufcdan July 11, 2017 7:10 AM BST
Sorry screaming, did I catch you mid stroke Mischief
Report johnnyrant July 11, 2017 10:42 AM BST
Easy to slate the 80s but a lot of fantastic pop songs from that era sh*t all over the tuneless R&B & reality tv fodder churned out in the last 10-15 years. How about Terence Trent D'Arby or Swing Out Sister? Another shocking omission. Give me Supertramp, China Crisis, Talk Talk… people love to slate Duran Duran but Ordinary World/Save A Prayer/Rio are pop gems imho.

Every era has some absolute shockers who are, for some inexplicable reason, rated and enjoy plenty of air time. Should start a list like this for the 90s and Noughties - M People, Toploader, The Darkness, Scouting For Girls, Stereophonics… absolute sh*te, & that's just off the top of my head.
Report morpteh mackem July 11, 2017 5:28 PM BST
dont doubt whatsoever what you're saying, just picked on a decade and highlighted imo 2 worst bands. could easily be done for other decades too. trust me , and i've stipulated this there were a lot of great pop songs in the 80s- state of art - friends again  ,if there's a better pop tune than this i'm yet to hear it.
just highlighted 80s as probably ate 70s/early 80s my era. judging by response/comments lot of other peoples  too, except  donny osmond who is pretending it is, when he really was a 50s kid.
Report doridoru July 14, 2017 12:27 PM BST
Duran Duran and A-ha were quality pop, just look at their fantastic bond themes, put anything these days to shame.

Culture Club and Wham pure trash, Its My Life by Talk Talk abs quality 80s tune overlooked for Club Tropicana and Karma Chameleon!?!?!?!
Report SlippyBlue July 14, 2017 1:04 PM BST
Another Talk Talk fan signing in, Such A Shame is another brilliant song by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxwXNICZ5DI&list=RDKxwXNICZ5DI#t=3
Report terry mccann July 14, 2017 1:28 PM BST
saw the q tips circa 1980 when they had a surprise special guest eddie Floyd,a great gig turned into greatness.
good call with " love will tear us apart again" youtube it and found a live version from "83 on the Friday show "the tube", that blondie has some at$e on herLove
Report doridoru July 14, 2017 1:32 PM BST
Yep Slippy they made fantastic songs, just wish they had made a few more commercial albums before he retired before 40!

Incredible that along with It's My Life neither singles reached the UK top 40 when released in 1984, what happened back then, Radio 1 must have not played them at all that year!

"Such a Shame was released as the album's second single in 1984 (see 1984 in music) and became a big hit in continental Europe in 1984 and 1985, reaching the Top 10 in several countries, and becoming a number one in certain territories (their third number one single after the remixed version of their song "Talk Talk" which topped the South African charts in 1983 and the single "It's My Life" which was number one in the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play in 1984); but strangely this single was largely ignored in the UK. In the US, the song entered the Billboard Hot 100, and was a Top 20 hit in the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play."
Report TommyBarnes July 14, 2017 5:02 PM BST
Okay this is slightly off topic as such and it makes me sound a right pedant but anyway. There are hundreds of hits from the 80s, so it annoys me that nearly every radio station which has a greatest hits from the 1980s style slot  plays a track that wasn't a Top 40 hit in the 80s in fact it was a hit in 2009 thanks to that sh!te, Glee. I give you Don't stop believin by Journey.  In the 80s it never was a hit and apart from that it is also a dog turd.
Report morpteh mackem July 14, 2017 7:46 PM BST
Laugh
Report zorrostrikes July 15, 2017 4:06 PM BST
level 42 had a few hits?

does the boomtown rats qualify? seventies back end? 1977-1985?
they were dire.
Report pixie July 15, 2017 4:22 PM BST
I disagree. 'A tonic for the troops' is a very good album.
Report TheBetterBettor July 15, 2017 5:32 PM BST
Marilyn
Report SlippyBlue July 15, 2017 5:36 PM BST
Of that era, I saw Earth, Wind and Fire at Wembley Arena and they were absolutely magnificent. There must have been about 70 people on stage grooving away, it was a fun night.Happy
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com