Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Roger The Butler
04 Mar 17 22:38
| Topic/replies: 3,511 | Blogger: Roger The Butler's blog
And watched Moonlight before it was even in the cinemas here. Kodi is bloody amazing.

£54 for a firestick 18 months ago and still getting great value out of it.

I Daniel Blake and Hacksaw Ridge are brilliant films btw.
Pause Switch to Standard View Today I watched I Daniel Blake,...
Show More
Report SlippyBlue March 4, 2017 11:49 PM GMT
Me and the missus unashamedly cried watching I, Daniel Blake at The Brixton Ritzy Roger.Cry
Report GRANTCKING March 5, 2017 12:46 AM GMT
hacksaw ridge vastly overated imo
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 8:15 AM GMT
Couldn't live without my firestick...given the choice between my wife my dog and my firestick i'm not ashamed to say it would be adios wife..adios Poppy...just a shame my little Kodi can't do the ironing and the cookingGrin
Report Makybe_Diva March 5, 2017 8:46 AM GMT
Twizzle, I'm shocked Shocked
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 9:13 AM GMT
Sorry i didn't reply earlier MD but me and Kodi were having breakfast togetherLove
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 9:14 AM GMT
That's a great little dog if it can do the ironing and cooking Silly

Does anyone use a Firestick legitimately?

I've a Firestick in my bedroom and a MX box from China on my main TV.
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 9:20 AM GMT
Does anyone use a Firestick legitimately?LaughLaugh cough cough
Report GoOnThen March 5, 2017 9:46 AM GMT
Do they come preloaded or do you have to mess about with them after purchase?
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 9:55 AM GMT
You can buy them pre loaded but you will have to learn to do it yourself at some stage as the software needs updated from time to time. It's not that difficult, it took me just over an hour on my first attempt and things have got easier over time. There are many guides on youtube ect.

You don't even need a Firestick, you can get versions for your mobile phone and PC. You can try it out on these first.

The firestick is really handy though, it's just plug and play and comes with it's own remote. Watching on your TV makes a big difference.
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 10:04 AM GMT
The quality is exceptional as well..all films are HD.I have a Bose sound system as well so it really is like being at the cinema without all the usual crisp munching distractions.Lots of films are now 2 hours plus so i tend to watch one hour and watch the remainder next day(if the film is a bit turgid)ie:Everest
Report GoOnThen March 5, 2017 10:10 AM GMT
Ok cool. I'll try it out on the bedroom TV first. Is it good enough to givey Virgin package the boot?
Report GoOnThen March 5, 2017 10:10 AM GMT
^ my
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 10:18 AM GMT
You need internet! But yes, I phoned up Virgin to "cancel" and then renegotiated myself a lower package. I now pay Virgin £35 PM instead of over £100.

I must add, live sport is not great on these. Sometimes it's hard to find a stream and the stream breaks if too many are watching. On the other hand I've found streams of Irish League Football games, great if you want to watch an obscure match.  Boxsets and films are brilliant though, as Twizzles says many are full HD.
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 10:18 AM GMT
Not really..the Sports quality isn't great and not sure  about you but I've got used to watching my sports in HD and i wont compromise
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 10:19 AM GMT
LaughOval beat me to it
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 10:20 AM GMT
Does your package include Sports Oval?
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 10:23 AM GMT
No, it's the medium TV package I think with 50MB internet. I found myself only watching the odd Premiership match so it wasn't worth paying anyway. My deal is up again next January where I'll be "cancelling" again.
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 10:29 AM GMT
Like you not bothered about football(bores me rigid although used to love the game) but cricket and golf are my passions and now BT have picked up a lot of the cricket i'm stumped(excuse the pun)My current package is just under the ton but is going up steeply next month..my contract expires in June and undecided if i'm prepared to pay these exorbitant amounts.
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 10:34 AM GMT
I think if they raise their prices you have an option to cancel even if your under contract. I'd check this out as it may be an opt out clause and give you a quicker way to renegotiate a deal.

I done it wrong and cancelled when I phoned up angrily (they hit me with an unseen charge) so I think I could have got a better deal.

Next time I'll be phoning up and cancelling saying I can't afford it, then try sweet talking my way to a better deal.
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 10:36 AM GMT
https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/help/cancel-contract-price-goes-up
Report GoOnThen March 5, 2017 10:46 AM GMT
Ok guys I've downloaded Kodi on my phone and done the add on set up. I'll try it later after my afternoon trip around the Andalucian hills.
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 10:52 AM GMT
Exodus is one of the better add ons but you'll need to sideload it.

Now you have Kodi, follow this guide: http://www.alphr.com/software/1002988/how-to-install-the-exodus-addon-for-kodi-get-one-of-the-best-extensions-on-kodi

My son is well clued up on the Firestick, I'll ask him later what the best streams for sport is when he comes home.

If you like what you see you can buy a Firestick out of Argos. They do drop in price from time to time, £20 is the cheapest I've seen them.
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 10:56 AM GMT
^^ Not too many Argos's in Andalusia. Amazon may be your best bet although ordering an Android box from China may also be an option.
Report treble March 5, 2017 11:29 AM GMT
You might as well just give ultimate mania a try for seven days, and see if you think it's worth it. You won't find better sports streams than that.
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 11:39 AM GMT
^^
What is it, how much does it cost?
Report scandanavian_haven March 5, 2017 11:45 AM GMT
what roger hasn't said is the quality of the boxing stream was crapGrin
Report Poppydog. March 5, 2017 12:44 PM GMT
We watched the boxing on Kodi - stream stopped just as Haye slipped.
Took 3 mins to reconnect using Wookie.

Searching around for streams for sports is stressful, without paying.
We have fast fibre broadband.
It's all dependent on how many others are using that stream
Report Poppydog. March 5, 2017 12:46 PM GMT
Yet 90%+ of films we watch using Exodus, stream perfectly at 1080
Report johnizere March 5, 2017 1:01 PM GMT
Yes, the boxing last night was a pain.. just too many people watching, including me!
I was on UKturks, > sports > sky box office, and right up to the main event was running sweetly.
Films, documentaries, tv series are running better than I'd expected.
Report johnizere March 5, 2017 1:02 PM GMT
ps., negotiated my Virgin package down to 46 quid from 89 :)
Report twizzle22 March 5, 2017 1:15 PM GMT
Including sports in your new package john?
Report johnizere March 5, 2017 1:24 PM GMT
I am on the XL package, BT sports only.
Report pan07 March 5, 2017 1:31 PM GMT
kodi etc is **** for live sports just get a zgemma box or similar cost u less than £100 a year depending who u no. total sky package
Report johnizere March 5, 2017 1:43 PM GMT
Had my T95Zplus box for a month to see if it's any good before trying to downgrade my Virgin package.
Paid subscriptions seems to be the way to go on this?
Ultimate Mania is I think, around £60 a year, and you can get a full tv programme listing screen for somewhere around a tenner?
Report GoOnThen March 5, 2017 2:38 PM GMT
Thanks Oval man the Exodus add on was the one I downloaded following instructions on a YouTube clip.Back in the UK tomorrow. Will get a firestick from Amazon.
Report Ovalman. March 5, 2017 3:10 PM GMT
My Son said that whoever created Exodus is going to stop maintaining it so it may stop working after a while. I've still to speak to him but he mentioned another add on which I'll post when I get it.

These add ons must need a lot of maintaining from their creators. But the good news is as one goes down, another appears. There seems to be a large community behind it which must be impossible for authorities to close down.

There are also builds which contain all these add ons. I have the Kratos build on my Firestick but I find myself only using Exodus and none of the other add ons. The build has it's advantages but every time I start my firestick up, it takes 5 minutes to update all the add ons.
Report casemoney March 5, 2017 3:22 PM GMT
Don't have a Firestick  ,Still managed to watch All 3(free) ,2 good Films IMO.

Online Stream Boxing ,Fine if ur not Betting ..

Torrents for Movies.
Report johnizere March 5, 2017 3:42 PM GMT
I have the echo wizard build on my laptop, which I find ok, but there's lots of repo's on there that I doubt I'll ever use.
On my T95Z box direct to tv, I have my own build, didn't want to clutter up the set up, which I'm told might slow down your
stream?
Report mokegibboni March 6, 2017 10:35 PM GMT
This is all very well, but the important thing is can you get RUK for free with all these fireball sticks and things?
Report johnizere March 6, 2017 11:06 PM GMT
Yes, but it lags behind 'normal' tv, so just as useless for IR betting.
Report Hamsterdam March 6, 2017 11:31 PM GMT
Showbox for movies, click and play in 720 no messing about.

I actually used Periscope for the Haye fight....had a perfect HD feed. 40k viewers it had at one point.
Report Moose March 7, 2017 12:24 AM GMT
Just got a firestick and as people have indicated Kodi is great for TV shows and films, live streaming of football is very hit and miss though, bad quality or just not loading. I actually find the streams on Mobdro better overall which is easy to put on yer stick.
You could try a 'premium private server'. Had a free trial and then decided to give it a go, £25 for 3 months. You get all Sports (inc RUK, BT, 3pm Saturday games), movies and any other channel you could think of, there's a bit of on demand box sets and films, streams are very stable (haven't had one go down yet) and HD, impressed so far, bit dodgy perhaps, but isn't all of it!
Report Facts March 7, 2017 9:58 AM GMT
Watched first 5 minutes of HR.
OTT opening shots of bodies ' flying ' through the air in slow motion. Bodies  on fire ,running in slow motion. Bodies on fire on the ground in slow motion. Then cut to two small boys playing in the woods. A type cast  script that has been done so many times before ( and better ).
But then it is directed by Mel Gibson. Enough said.
Report s.kenbo March 7, 2017 3:28 PM GMT
I hate war films, but I thought HR was fantastic. It's a bit harsh judging a film before the opening credits have finished.

If you gave it a go, and forgot about your Mel Gibson disliking, then you'd probably enjoy it.
Report doridoru March 7, 2017 6:01 PM GMT

Mar 7, 2017 -- 3:58AM, Facts wrote:

Watched first 5 minutes of HR. OTT opening shots of bodies ' flying ' through the air in slow motion. Bodies  on fire ,running in slow motion. Bodies on fire on the ground in slow motion. Then cut to two small boys playing in the woods. A type cast  script that has been done so many times before ( and better ).But then it is directed by Mel Gibson. Enough said.

Best stick to "Lentil Soup - The Movie"

Report Facts March 7, 2017 6:38 PM GMT
I watch and enjoy plenty of films of all genres. hth.
Report Facts March 7, 2017 6:41 PM GMT
Why harsh kenbo. ? Sometimes you can make your mind up very quickly.
Same with novels. I can usually tell from the first few pages whether I'm going to enjoy it.
Report s.kenbo March 7, 2017 8:03 PM GMT
It's harsh because you'd already decided that you didn't want to enjoy it.

I've given up on many films myself after the same amount of time, but I couldn't truly give an honest opinion of them after watching so little.

Give it a go on a quiet day/night, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on it.
Report Facts March 7, 2017 9:12 PM GMT
Ok I will. I acknowledge that ones mood cab heavily influence things Happy
Take this evening for example. zFilm 4 now is Mission Impossible - Ghost Proticol.
Now I enjoyed the first two films in the series. But this ? After 5 mins I switched it off  - dire.
Was I wrong to ?
Report acey deucy March 7, 2017 9:32 PM GMT
I watched Hacksaw Ridge the other night and thought it was average.
Report s.kenbo March 7, 2017 9:47 PM GMT
The MI films have gone more 'Hollywood' since the first two were made. I can have them on in the background without paying much attention, and still not miss the plot.

Films like HR can get overhyped, and not live up to expectations.
Report mokegibboni March 8, 2017 2:12 AM GMT
I'm still traumatised after watching the first 'Railway Children' film! Too much sex and violence for my liking!
Report treble March 9, 2017 1:58 PM GMT
Ok, those who want perfect streams and are willing to pay a bit, take my advice, paste http://ultimatemania.rocks/ into your browser bar and go to it. If you want to try it out, try for a week maybe and see how you get on. Once you have successfully signed up, go back to the main page and go to how to download our kodi add-on. This gives you foolproof instructions on how to install the ultimate mania add-on. Once installed, sign in with your username and password and enjoy almost a complete sky package and hundreds of sports channel from around the world including full HD RUK. I've been using this service for well over a year now and it is without doubt the best service available on Kodi. The owner of it has invested thousands in extra servers to keep things running as smooth as possible.
Report vidou March 9, 2017 6:26 PM GMT
How does it perform on wifi treble or do you need an ethernet cable - my hub is about 5 metres away from the tv and running a cable isn't very practical for me
Report STATSMAN March 9, 2017 6:46 PM GMT
Lets see how this pans out

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/premier-league-set-to-increase-crackdown-on-illegal-streaming-following-high-court-order/ar-AAo3tY7?li=AA572I&ocid=spartandhp
Report johnizere March 9, 2017 9:34 PM GMT
treble...
I've just this week signed up to UltimateMania, and I can honestly say it's the dog's bollux.
Took a bit of getting used to navigating around the menus, but the quality is the best I've come across.
There's another subscription addon for a 'sky' type program menu, but I've yet to get it.
Report Ovalman. March 11, 2017 12:59 PM GMT
My son was correct, Exodus is ending but Specto is taking over Tongue Out

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-specto-kodi/

For streams he also suggests the wss app (not part of Kodi and may not be installable on a Firestick). He put it on my Android box and it's a great picture/ stream. I'm watching the Middlesbro v Man City game on it atm.

http://www.doctor-dance.net/

That link looks a bit dodgy but he says it's correct and I can testify for the picture.
Report Platini March 11, 2017 1:40 PM GMT
Kodi for movies and TV
Cricfree and Chromecast for football and other live sports

Not surprised Exodus is going to disappear, it s a unreliable pice of sh1t.

Specto is an older add-on, is it not ? Seem to remember having that ages ago.
Report Ovalman. March 11, 2017 2:15 PM GMT
Exodus is a Kodi add on and been my goto add on for TV and films, I'm very happy with it.

My son keeps up to date with things whereas I just load it and forget about it but he says Specto is developed by one of the guys that developed Exodus. I've noticed as one app disappears, another shows up.
Report Platini March 11, 2017 6:45 PM GMT
Can someone tell the Exodus developer that there are 2 movies called Split, and that I would very much like to see the one with James McEvoy and his 27 personalities, and not the f****g tenpin bowling movie that it has on every bas**rd stream Angry

Exodus is well known for mixing up the wrong movies and TV shows with different titles. Not to mention frequent "no stream available" error messages for all the movies I want to see. This, after the trailer works perfectly fine.

As I saids I said, an unreliable piece of sh1t.
Report Ovalman. March 11, 2017 6:53 PM GMT
What do you expect for nothing Confused
Report s.kenbo March 11, 2017 8:13 PM GMT
That was weeks ago when they were showing the wrong Split (though it happens with a few films). I was trying to play it daily for ages, then unfortunately the correct film played.

I haven't used all that many sites for films, but I think Exodus is the dogs bollox.
Report Jayco March 11, 2017 8:23 PM GMT
Thought they were clamping down om Kodi and such, how long will it last?
Report Shrewd_dude March 11, 2017 10:09 PM GMT
Think that's more people who sell kodi boxes with pre installed software for watching illegal streams which is a criminal offence. Difficult for them to crack down on people self installing Kodi then using it for illegal streaming.
Report Ovalman. March 12, 2017 8:34 AM GMT
I've often wondered who pays for all this?

Films/ TV need to be stored somewhere while live TV needs servers so a volume of users can all click through at the same time. Someone, somewhere has to pay for the live TV, then code and stream it. Why would someone go to the hassle? People that develope the software need to continually update them, I can understand why they develope but it must be a right pain fixing all those bugs.

At least with the dodgy videos you bought down the market, you know someone was making money out of it. I just don't get it for Kodi.
Report Platini March 12, 2017 10:28 AM GMT
with Modbro, they must be funded by ads (judging my the number that pop up just before you tune in to watch a live match)
Report Ovalman. March 12, 2017 10:44 AM GMT
I suppose so. I read on one Android thread that a developer had 10,000 downloads for his app and made roughly $500 from Google Adsense. I'm sure there would be more that 10,000 viewers for each match so that would be a neat little earner for the developers.
Report twizzle22 March 13, 2017 10:00 AM GMT
Many thanks treble for pointing me towards ultimatemania..simply outstanding HD quality..absolutely everything there including films which load up within seconds.Paid for a weekly pass(£6) and i most definitely will be signing up for a year(£75) when my contract with Virgin expires in June.
Report Platini March 13, 2017 1:50 PM GMT
I'll check out the ultimatemania service. you'd think they would offer a sports-only package tho. I'm sure they'd get more sales.
Report treble March 13, 2017 4:25 PM GMT
They do this one, which is all the sports channels that you get on ultimatemania for a bit cheaper. http://sportsnationhd.tv/view.php?pg=login
Report cardenden March 13, 2017 4:39 PM GMT
do you need to subscribe to a company with a kodi box
Report Ovalman. March 13, 2017 4:44 PM GMT
No, everything is free but better quality streams require payment. Personally I don't see the point in paying, we watched the Arsenal FA Cup match with a great stream. It's a bit hit and miss though, live TV is not great but films and TV shows are great quality.
Report Ovalman. March 13, 2017 4:46 PM GMT
And I mentioned above, you can get Kodi for PC and Android phone. Follow one of the many guides out there for what to do, see what it's all about before buying a Firestick or dedicated Android Box. The advantage is you get a remote and can watch it on your TV but you can do the same with your phone or PC.
Report cardenden March 13, 2017 4:50 PM GMT
is there atr  and ruk racing on it
Report twizzle22 March 13, 2017 4:50 PM GMT
If you want HD quality streams that don't buffer every two minutes then its well worth paying an extra few quid.If your not fussed about the quality of live sports and are ok messing around looking for a reliable stream then go with the latter.
Report twizzle22 March 13, 2017 4:51 PM GMT
Yes and RUK is in HD
Report cardenden March 13, 2017 4:51 PM GMT
where on the tele does the stick go
Report twizzle22 March 13, 2017 4:58 PM GMT
In the back..you will see a housing with HD M1 1N1(STB)
Report cardenden March 13, 2017 4:58 PM GMT
so what you are saying is,, i can purchase one of these stick plug it into my laptop and get atr and ruk
Report cardenden March 13, 2017 4:59 PM GMT
thanks for the help twizzle
Report Ovalman. March 13, 2017 5:11 PM GMT
Download Kodi to your laptop:

https://kodi.tv/download/

Then follow this guide to get what you need.

http://www.alphr.com/software/1004827/how-to-install-nemesis-on-kodi-get-one-of-the-best-kodi-builds-in-2017

See if you like what you see on your laptop then buy a dedicated box like a Firestick that you can use on your TV.
Report cardenden March 13, 2017 5:28 PM GMT
cheers ovalman
Report Platini March 13, 2017 8:44 PM GMT
I downloaded Kodi on my phone but can't make head nor tail of it (you need ES explorer then have to do x,y,z  Cry  ).

Is there a technophobe/ idiot proof guide anywhere ???
Report STATSMAN March 13, 2017 11:44 PM GMT
If you've downloaded it onto your Laptop/Pc why pay for a stick/box?

Just connect your Laptop/Pc to your tv via a HDMI cable
Report STATSMAN March 13, 2017 11:48 PM GMT
Smart phone or iphone Platini?

I have it installed on iphone and I have to keep reloading it after about a month - pain in the aris
Report johnizere March 14, 2017 12:18 AM GMT
I don't know how many on here are aware of SBMC ?
Originally XBMC was the first set up for tv/film and sports, which then became KODI.
The developers split, and one of the founders developed SBMC, which I have downloaded
and use it instead of KODI, and as good as KODI is, I find SBMC much better.
Put UltimateMania on SBMC and it's almost perfect, far less buffering and the search
and find is much quicker.
It will only work on android though, not pc.
Report johnizere March 14, 2017 12:20 AM GMT
SPMC...

NOT SBMC!!!!... don't know what I was thinking Crazy
Report johnizere March 14, 2017 12:22 AM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKBIGqnhCk

works on box and firestick.

SPMC
Report STATSMAN March 14, 2017 12:25 AM GMT
There are tutorials for SBMC for Windows
Report johnizere March 14, 2017 12:34 AM GMT
didn't know that, statsman, thought it was only android devices could use it. thanks.
Report STATSMAN March 14, 2017 12:41 AM GMT
Thank you too for pointing SPMC out to us.

I'll download it and give it a go on laptop.

Always handy to have an alternative
Report Ovalman. March 14, 2017 8:55 AM GMT
Platini, for TV and Movies try this:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-specto-kodi/

Just follow them to the letter and you should have the Specto add on enabled.

I get ya about plugging our laptop into the TV but Statman but the Firestick is a dedicated box with it's own remote. It makes the whole process much more convenient.
Report Platini March 14, 2017 11:19 AM GMT
Thanks Ovalman, I'll check that out.

Statsman, its an android phone I've got. Is that supposed to be easier?  Honestly I hit a brick wall after I downloaded Kodi and ES Explorer.
Report Ovalman. March 14, 2017 4:34 PM GMT
I've been out all day, sorry for the late reply. I didn't have Kodi on my phone so I thought I'd test it by following that link I gave above and I got it working in 10 minutes.

Kodi is available on the Play Store so no need to use ES File Explorer. If you buy a Firestick then I think you'll have to use that method but there are guides how to do it.

Most likely you've downloaded Kodi Krypton software (I did) so use the following guide.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-specto-on-kodi-krypton/

Just follow it step by step. It may take you 30 minutes but it will work as I've just done it.
Report doridoru April 2, 2017 6:25 PM BST
Well had my first view of this Amazon/Kodi firestick, yup good for films/tv shows, terrible for sport...friend spent half an hour but failed to find one link that worked for more than a minute of last nights live Konta final...Thats a NO from me then, the boxes are much better.
Report Ovalman. April 2, 2017 6:36 PM BST
The boxes are just Android Boxes aren't they?

For live sport you have to pick and choose your streams or pay a third part which defeats the purpose. My son watched Liverpool yesterday, brilliant stream but it broke 3 times. He reconnected and the missed 5 minutes at most. You get what you pay for which was zero Shocked

My wife is currently watching CSI in full HD, not a problem. Boxsets are great.
Report doridoru April 2, 2017 7:19 PM BST
All of them a deffo no go for live sport and not even more behind...Sky and Bt still got my money then.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com