Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
GoOnThen
14 Jan 17 23:15
| Topic/replies: 6,272 | Blogger: GoOnThen's blog
Pocket sprung, memory foam, latex or hybrid. What are the thoughts of the chit chattering classes?
Pause Switch to Standard View New mattress required.
Show More
Report Breedingmad January 14, 2017 11:16 PM GMT
Silent Night
Report k sera sera January 14, 2017 11:17 PM GMT
Water bed
Report GoOnThen January 14, 2017 11:17 PM GMT
You're consistent. I'll give you that!
Report The Leopard January 14, 2017 11:18 PM GMT
Mattress ?…… I sleeps in cardboard box
Report GoOnThen January 14, 2017 11:19 PM GMT
That's why you're covered in spots.
Report The Leopard January 14, 2017 11:24 PM GMT
They are camouflage markings.
Report The Leopard January 14, 2017 11:24 PM GMT
A bit more valuable than your skin
Report Mc Moonbeam January 14, 2017 11:26 PM GMT
Silent Night yes , they have an outlet on ebay , don't buy a cheap one , will let you know mine in the morning , cost £285 well worth the money!
Report GoOnThen January 14, 2017 11:31 PM GMT
Apparently Hilary Devey has her own range. Rated very highly by The Independent.
Report The Leopard January 14, 2017 11:33 PM GMT
She's not good advert for her mattresses
Report Mc Moonbeam January 14, 2017 11:34 PM GMT
that would be Full Latex I imagine ..
Report GoOnThen January 14, 2017 11:37 PM GMT
Hilary looks more like melted latex!
Report crystalhunt January 14, 2017 11:54 PM GMT
Leesa - end of chat. Check it out.
Report ambush January 15, 2017 2:58 AM GMT
never be afraid to spend money on a pair of shoes or a bed because if your not in one your in the other.
Report zorrostrikes January 15, 2017 6:58 AM GMT
guy at big carboot - massive fayre each week was selling new beds from £100 to 200 a few years ago. All new. Go into a shop and you need £300 at least? This was Glasgow fruit market. he even delivered for £10?

But was put off by news article about bogus gear.
Report danniellasmincepies January 15, 2017 8:31 AM GMT
Undercover operation?
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 8:43 AM GMT
Budget preferably under £1000.Although I'd stretch a bit for the right one. I like my kip.
Report Jack Hacksaw January 15, 2017 9:01 AM GMT
Same as many things you only buy occasionally.  No-one knows what the feck they are buying so go on price or brand names they know.

Luckily, you can try a bed (for a certain period, at least), so here's a suggestion.  Go to Ikea or a bed store and try some out.

Fat people prefer firmer beds.
Report eldar January 15, 2017 9:35 AM GMT
40% off Happy Beds at Amazon today Wink
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 10:22 AM GMT
Thanks eldar I'll check it out. Grin
Report Hound-Dog-2 January 15, 2017 11:42 AM GMT
I wouldn't get memory foam, they are very comfortable indeed, but one big drawback you can get far too hot and uncomfortable sleeping on a memory foam mattress. Or one solution is to have light covers so some air can circulate, but you can overheat between a memory foam mattress and a duvet which isn't fairly lightweight. You might adjust to it but I don't like waking up a bit sweaty. And if you do get one don't get a cheap one, and you might overcome the problem, but difference between comfy and warm and getting too hot.

Hope this helps. Cool
Report padlock January 15, 2017 11:45 AM GMT
NOT memory foam,NOT firm,Not soft
Your back will thank you
Report padlock January 15, 2017 11:46 AM GMT
Odearest are decent imo
Report padlock January 15, 2017 11:49 AM GMT
Sleeplikethedead.com
Report crystalhunt January 15, 2017 12:10 PM GMT
If you buy a Leesa you can send it back within 100 days if you're not happy. Best bed we have ever bought.
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 12:33 PM GMT
I'm definitely not going down the memory foam /latex route. I'm currently favouring pocket sprung that can be turned with two different covering types, one for winter and a lighter more breathable summer side.
Report Mick Sturbs January 15, 2017 12:50 PM GMT
I have not found memory foam too warm..The problem if you get too hot is the duvet, hollow fibre is like sleeping in a plastic bage
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 12:53 PM GMT
We had a very expensive pocket sprung mattress, it was wonderful but eventually it needed changing.

We replaced it with a Silent Night non pocket sorung mattress, it seemed great in the shop but from the first night we realised it had been a mistake. Probably because in the shop it was on a divan base. Whereas we had it on a wooden skatted base.

We toughed it out while we thought about what to do next. We didn't mind spending a lot of money so I did lots of research on memory foam and all other types mattress.

We were very wary of spending a lot of money and making another mistake. Our Silent Night mattress really wasn't suiting us, so to tide us over until we decide what to buy, we bought a cheap memory foam mattress from Argos, it was about £200, I think.

Anyway, that was three years ago and we still have it. It's the comfiest mattress we have ever had. I found out later that it beat the Tempur mattress in Which magazine.

Memory foam can have it's drawbacks, but we love ours. I'll post a link to it if they still sell it.
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 12:55 PM GMT
Just seen that you definitely aren't going for a memory foam. Never mind. I did come across a lovely Rest Assured mattress during my research.I'll post that instead

Dinner is nearly ready, will post it later Happy
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 12:57 PM GMT
*slatted not skatted Cry
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 12:58 PM GMT
*its on it's Shocked

I give up.
Report Mc Moonbeam January 15, 2017 1:04 PM GMT
Mine's the Silentnight Mirapocket Range , these are Pocket sprung/Memory foam , I went for the 'Moscow' as it is Firm (no I'm not fat) but like a firmer mattress , just memory foam is no good as you basically just sink into them

Definitely shop around ebay as you'll get a great deal , mine was virtually half price £285 from £565 or more in shops , though I did have to wait weeks for it to be delivered!
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 1:11 PM GMT
Thanks MD. Mc is the Moscow model the one the Donald prefers?..  comfortably takes three people and is Pi55 resistant?
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 2:47 PM GMT
Lol. GoOnThen.

Here is a link to the Rest Assured website and the mattress I liked.
http://www.rest-assured.co.uk/our-collections/heritage-beds/
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 2:54 PM GMT
This is the Sherbourne mattress sold on Amazon as the Northam.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mattresses-Toppers/Rest-Assured-Norham-Natural-Mattress/B00EZ31SCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484490894&sr=8-1&keywords=Sherbourne+rest+assured+mattress

Lots of reviews. I don't know what's with the thing about the plastic clips. Very strange.

Anyway, this is what I would try if I needed a new mattress. List of stockists on Rest Assured website so would be essy to try one out locally.

Moonbeam is right about pocket springs with memory foam. They seem to be better than just memory foam.

Our exact mattress is no longer at Argos. It was just memory foam but we find it so comfy to sleep on, there is no need for us to change it.
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 2:56 PM GMT
You can drive yourself quite mad doing research for a new mattress Crazy
Report Mc Moonbeam January 15, 2017 3:06 PM GMT
No that's the London model Goonthen .. this one's Highly Flamable!
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 3:07 PM GMT
You certainly can Makybe_Divan! Grin
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 3:08 PM GMT
Complicated stuff.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/who-owns-what-mattress-brand/
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 3:08 PM GMT
Makybe Divan! Very good Laugh
Report Mc Moonbeam January 15, 2017 3:13 PM GMT
What you had for dinner you old mattress Laugh
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 3:13 PM GMT
Interesting link there, GoOnThen.
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 3:14 PM GMT
Moonbeam! Shocked

Roast Chicken Laugh
Report Mc Moonbeam January 15, 2017 3:20 PM GMT
very nice Diva Blush

i'm still full from last night Plain
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 3:20 PM GMT
Not Tempur(a) chicken?
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 3:26 PM GMT
Tempura chicken? Had to look that up. Very clever.

What did you have last night then, Moonbeam?
Report Mc Moonbeam January 15, 2017 3:32 PM GMT
I had a nice chinese , chicken curry , special fried rice & chips with naan bread & prawn toast Love

couldn't stand to cook anything today , will probably have a ham, cheese & musroom omellette later Happy
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 3:33 PM GMT
Sounds good.
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 3:36 PM GMT
Watching a programme I recorded about the industrial revolution. Need to concentrate. Be back later Happy
Report EvgenyKissin January 15, 2017 3:59 PM GMT
Good afternoon, MD.
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 4:44 PM GMT
Good adternoon, Evgeny Happy

Well that was a very interesting programme

Why Did The Industrial Revolution Happen Here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pz9d6/why-the-industrial-revolution-happened-here?suggid=b01pz9d6

Going to watch Songs of Praise now. Could be interesting. It's about Donald Trump's Scottish links.

Getting the thread back on track.....what sort of mattress do you have, Evgeny?
Report EvgenyKissin January 15, 2017 4:58 PM GMT
All I know, MD, is I bought it at One Regent's Place.
Report GoOnThen January 15, 2017 5:31 PM GMT
A Chicken and pheasant joint in a tarragon and mustard cream sauce served with sweet potato and parsnip mash and a few sprouts courtesy of Mrs Go.
Report Makybe_Diva January 15, 2017 6:09 PM GMT
Mrs Go sounds like a very good cook.

Evgeny, is it memory foam? Is it sprung? We need more details than that. I must say One Regent's Place sounds very posh.
Report Aunty Post January 15, 2017 7:34 PM GMT
I can only comment on the first two....

Pocket sprung...a ridiculous concept!

If you laid on one of these, with the springs individually visible,  i.e. no coverings, the springs would only compress where touched.

As soon as you put on the top coverings, all the springs are connected, and will just compress in the same way as conventional springs!

Memory foam "Tempur", what's the point? For how long does this "memory" last?
If you are like me, and change positions every few minutes, the mattress would be full of peaks and troughs!

If you believe their hype about contacting every part of you, and manage to stay in one position, I reckon it would be a particularly hot and sweaty experience!
Report Mc Moonbeam January 16, 2017 12:17 AM GMT
Did you buy your bed with the house AP Confused
Report Aunty Post January 16, 2017 1:35 PM GMT
....erm, too deep for me Moonbeam!!!
Report GoOnThen January 17, 2017 10:44 AM GMT
https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/origins-pocket-latex-1500/?attribute_pa_size=king

Slept on one of these last night. Firmer than I'd like but a palpable difference to my back problem.Felt much better on waking. Not even a twinge!
Report Mc Moonbeam January 17, 2017 5:11 PM GMT
Friends with Mattresses Hey!
Report GoOnThen January 17, 2017 6:04 PM GMT
In a guestroom in the west wing of Go Towers!Laugh
Report zorrostrikes January 18, 2017 9:11 AM GMT
what about a trampoline - they look cheaper?
Report bigmo January 19, 2017 8:24 PM GMT
So is the general consensus that if you suffer with your back and overweight a firm mattress is your best starting point?
Report GoOnThen January 19, 2017 8:51 PM GMT
Not sure bigmo. Having spent a couple of hours in John Lewis this morning I'm as confused as ever. Think I'm going for the bed above from John Ryan. £825. At least I've slept on one and know that it's kind to my back.
Report not allowed to bet January 19, 2017 8:52 PM GMT
Try sleeping on the beach - a sand one
Report zorrostrikes January 20, 2017 4:17 AM GMT
if you have a bad back, your meant to sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs - not a joke. see posture in beds - google.
Report padlock January 20, 2017 5:07 AM GMT
Whatver mattresses are used at ibis hotel are very nice imo,did u buy one yet?
Report bigmo January 20, 2017 6:08 AM GMT
Tried all sorts with no luck so far. The worst being a Tempur one at £1200. The pillow between the legs does help but where I toss and turn a lot it never stays there.
Report padlock January 20, 2017 7:25 AM GMT
That on your side sleeping is nonsense,sleep on your back, can put cushion underneath knee area
Report TheBaron January 20, 2017 10:42 AM GMT
If you have a bad back the support you get from the bed unit underneath the mattress is often overlooked.  Putting the mattress on the floor works for some people.
Report EvgenyKissin January 20, 2017 3:02 PM GMT
Unfortunately, MD, 'One Regent's Place' has closed. I was trying to paste the website address into a post but they stopped trading last year. It is a shame as their mattresses were very good.
Report Makybe_Diva January 20, 2017 3:15 PM GMT
Thanks, Evgeny.
Report GoOnThen January 21, 2017 5:39 PM GMT
Tempted to go for this one.
https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/
Report TheBaron January 21, 2017 6:27 PM GMT
Some hotels will sell you a mattress.  If you stay in a hotel and you find the mattress very comfortable ask them if they have any to sell as they regularly replace them even though they have a lot of use left.
Report GoOnThen January 22, 2017 5:07 PM GMT
Decision made. I've ordered the Origins pocket latex 1500 from John Ryan. Thank you all for your wise words.
Report Just Checking January 22, 2017 8:58 PM GMT
How often do you guys turn and flip your mattresses? Advice is to do it regularly but I keep forgetting.
I think mine is beginning to go where my manly child bearing hips rest... Blush
Report GoOnThen March 21, 2017 6:53 PM GMT
My back is not enjoying the new mattress. I'm returning it. The quest continues.
Report Makybe_Diva March 21, 2017 6:55 PM GMT
Oh dear.
Report Aunty Post March 22, 2017 8:59 AM GMT
Obviously the horse has bolted, as the OP was 14th January!

Coincidently I decided to get a new one on Monday, but it has to be very firm for me.

I got this one which is an incredible price and backed up by mega good reviews!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0077CCXLS/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I was expecting to pay three times this amount, as I think my existing "Sealy" Orthopaedic was over £400, perhaps eight years ago.

I've also ordered a new quilted mattress topper, so it should be firm but soft.

Common sense tells me that "Memory Foam" will be bad, for all the reasons stated above, and plus as I toss and turn so much
I would be trying to get into a different position, and hampered by the existing depressions!
Report GoOnThen March 22, 2017 9:32 AM GMT
Thanks AP. Not bolted. I bought one listed above, with a 60 day return policy. It's not working for my back so I'm returning it. I'll check out the one you're getting. Keep us posted on your progress.
Report Aunty Post March 22, 2017 10:08 AM GMT
I certainly will GOT....

Mainly 5 star reviews but there will always be some with issues!

Not at all phased by some of the negative ones such as...

Too hard...that's what you ordered!

Too firm...Ditto!

Delivery issues...well that can occur with whatever you buy so not a reflection on the supplier!

Anyway, we'll see.....

I want it to be hard and firm which is why I  have ordered this.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002W49EDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fleecy winter side, and cool summer side
Report GoOnThen March 22, 2017 10:18 AM GMT
Funnily enough that was my issue. I wrongly assumed a firm one would suit my back better. Having just come back from a holiday where I slept on a couple of much softer (and cheaper) ones, I've now revised my opinion and am going for a softer option. Happy Beds look to offer great value.
Report guinness2dear March 22, 2017 1:33 PM GMT
Yes, soft is the way to go, plenty of give..
Report saddo March 22, 2017 2:43 PM GMT
We found our soft one didn't stand up to water sports very well and returned it.
Report GoOnThen March 22, 2017 4:06 PM GMT
Thinking of upgrading to this one

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/?attribute_pa_size=king
Report Mick Sturbs March 22, 2017 4:40 PM GMT
Don't skimp buying a bed get the best you can afford.You spend a third of your life in bed and it is worth paying more for a good nights sleep
Report betting_masta March 23, 2017 6:24 AM GMT
or sleep on the floor and donate the £1000 you would have spent on a bed to unicef
Report GoOnThen March 25, 2017 8:46 PM GMT
This one has caught my attention
https://www.sleepingduck.com/uk/
Report GoOnThen March 26, 2017 4:44 PM BST
http://www.best-mattresses.co.uk/10-best-mattresses.html

Check out number 2 on the list AP!Happy
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com