Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mr.Anderson
02 Jun 16 14:35
| Topic/replies: 762 | Blogger: Mr.Anderson's blog
I suppose I could ask a doctor, but I think it might be best to ask chit chat first. I've been unable to run long distances for a couple of years now. If I try jogging my knees start aching after 500 m or so, and I have to stop running and walk instead. If I'm walking my knees sometimes start aching after 7-8 km, but sometimes I can keep walking more than 10 km and not get any pain at all. If I do get some pain just a couple of minutes rest allows me to continue. What might be the problem, and is it fixable?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 30
By:
topshot
When: 02 Jun 16 14:43
Might help if you tell us your age Mr A
By:
Mr.Anderson
When: 02 Jun 16 14:44
Middle aged I suppose:)
By:
Breedingmad
When: 02 Jun 16 14:51
Could be cartilidge wearing out
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cartilage-damage/Pages/Introduction.aspx
By:
Mr.Anderson
When: 02 Jun 16 14:52
Or almost middle aged, if we use the definition in the Oxford English Dicitonary. It says middle age is between 45-65. I'm not quite that old.
By:
topshot
When: 02 Jun 16 14:56
I'm 54 and was always a keen jogger but after 4 ops on my left knee have had to accept that I will never be going on longish runs again due to that and A military career that probably left my legs older than they are.

If I go for a decent walk and start off fast I get pain in both knees that can last for a few days,however if I start slowly and pick up the pace during my walk I can walk further and don't get the pain.

Good luck.
By:
zorrostrikes
When: 02 Jun 16 15:54
have you had periods of inactivity - tendons shorten and can't move like they used to. I started eating egg calcium - noticed that my knees felt better. the skin between the egg and shell has something that helps regenerate your knees.

eggshell - boil up the shells - for fifteen minutes by themselves - kills bacteria - Get a coffee grinder or pound the shells to powder any other way. Add to food so you don't notice the powder going down. Yogurt?
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 02 Jun 16 15:56
I've got a ruptured Baker's cyst behind my right knee that burst two months ago, even after two cortisone injections it is causing me complete misery. Same knee as when I had Osgood Schlatter's disease when I was much younger, bloody nightmare and no sign of it relenting.
By:
Aunty Post
When: 02 Jun 16 16:03
Slippy, interesting reading your comment, but I only ever heard of "Osgood Schlatter's" when my son suffered it,
and it ruined his possible football career.
By:
Breedingmad
When: 02 Jun 16 16:39
When I was 17 I twisted my leg playing Sunday League football the goal keeper twisted my leg back straight and I carried on
playing our team getting a 1-1 draw the best result of the season for us..I then moved up to Inverness and went to college
my knee seemed to get worse as a year went by since my injury after being told to do more excersize by my Doctor eventually
I could hardly walk a yard without being in agony and my knee had swelled to twice its normal size.It ended up with me
having an operation to remove particles of cartlidge which my body was replicating inside my knee thus the swelling and
pain I think it was called Synovial chondromatosis anyhow I was told it was rare.My right knee has never been the same since
and I was told I will eventually get rhumatism in it.
By:
TheBaron
When: 02 Jun 16 17:53
The moral of this thread seems to be don't exercise. 

Whenever I try to do some exercise some tendon, muscle or ligament goes twang.  I think its my body's way of telling me to sit down and have another cream cake.Happy
By:
scandanavian_haven
When: 02 Jun 16 18:41
he lost me when he said KM ? what's this is miles
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Jun 16 18:44
get a leg transplant
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Jun 16 18:48
slippy blue iv had knee problems for over 3 years took all sorts of drugs but the best is nurofen express one tablet will last about 10 hours I take one if I'm going out all day
By:
Just Checking
When: 02 Jun 16 19:03
Have you tried those supplements like Glucosamine / Choindotrin (impossible to spell) for joints?

Any chance you've onset of arthuriteish (impossible to spell) and so something / diet for that might help?
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 02 Jun 16 19:04
I've been taking co codamol mad dog but it just doesn't touch it so I literally had to beg for two cortisone shots which haven't kicked in yet so still very sore. I've had lots of sporting injuries when I played rugby, broken ribs, broken collar bone etc but nothing has been so painful as a ruptured Baker's cyst, it has caused me untold sleepness nights. A.P. when I got Osgood Schlatter's I couldn't walk for a month, another very nasty thing to have got.
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Jun 16 19:09
iv got boxes of co.codamol there not bad but nurofen express are different class
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Jun 16 19:10
maybe you got fluid on your knees iv had my done twice
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 02 Jun 16 19:12
I'll try Neurophen Express mad dog, never taken that before but will get some tomorrow, thanks for the tip mate.
By:
sixtwosix
When: 02 Jun 16 19:16
I played sport all my life , football , badminton ,jogging . No serious problems until in my 40's.
I would go lame and struggle to walk .....but the next day it would be fine.
Went for physio with the NHS , could find nothing , said it was just wear and tear.
I gave up all sports , it was very depressing.

My missus decided to get a bike to get fit , so I got one to try.
No problems cycling and we live in an area of lots of steep hills , which I came to love struggling up.
This appears to have built all the muscles up around my knee to the extent I now play tennis with my 18 year old son.
I am 52 and beat him 6-0 6-1 6-0 today .
But the fact I can even play is the most important thing , I never take it for granted anymore.
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Jun 16 19:23
they said the same about my knees wear and tear
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 02 Jun 16 19:33
Same here, played rugby, hockey, cricket and squash all my life but I'm just not able for it anymore, that ship has sailed. I can walk Muttley for about 5 miles a day but that's about it. 50 in September, just wear and tear indeed and just getting old Sad
By:
unders101
When: 02 Jun 16 20:47
Nurofen Express is 400mg of Ibuprofen, it's hardly a strong painkiller
By:
Just Checking
When: 02 Jun 16 20:54
Ibuprofen isn't just a pain killer it's an anti inflamatory so it depends what you're trying to treat.
Also ibuprofen can be bad for your stomach so I'd use the gel on the problem area.
By:
unders101
When: 02 Jun 16 20:57
Bad for your liver as well. Gel's are a complete waste of time
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Jun 16 21:01
all gels are useless
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Jun 16 21:04
I take about 4 or 5 a week nurofen will not do you harm if you take 4 a day dont
By:
scandanavian_haven
When: 02 Jun 16 21:26
if the problem is internal, I don't see how gels can help
By:
ooO{Alpha Centauri}Ooo
When: 02 Jun 16 22:44
Don't waste money on Nurofen, any supermarket sells Paracetemol or Ibuprofen for 20p - 30p a box, it's the same stuff.  For joints always take the two together or stagger them (take Ibuprofen with food), one for pain one for anti inflamatory.  If you need them for more than 3 days you should see a doctor.
By:
doantwin2easy
When: 02 Jun 16 23:00
My wife's got terrible problems with her knees. Carpet burns she calls it.
By:
brassneck
When: 02 Jun 16 23:27
paul mc grath Ireland defender had the same problem so he drank 10 pints of beer each night and I guess it worked because he was a great player who never trained.try drinking loads of water before you run sounds like dehydration starting .
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com