Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Poppydog.
18 Nov 15 00:19
| Topic/replies: 19,388 | Blogger: Poppydog.'s blog
Had health problems, but oh so young
Pause Switch to Standard View RIP Jonah Lomu (40) New Zealand Rugby...
Show More
Report kenny mann November 18, 2015 12:21 AM GMT
Blimey, that's shocking. Seemed a lovely man in interviews.
Report themover November 18, 2015 12:21 AM GMT
Cry

RIP
Report Poppydog. November 18, 2015 12:23 AM GMT
Just checked his Twitter page to verify it's not a bad joke

Taking selfies on a holiday in Dubai yesterday and tweeting all week

???
Report Anybody help November 18, 2015 12:26 AM GMT
Nothing on bbc website. Where has this come from?
Report Darlo Bantam November 18, 2015 12:33 AM GMT
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/18/jonah-lomu-dies-aged-40-accordi...
Report Poppydog. November 18, 2015 12:35 AM GMT
WELLINGTON Nov 18 (Reuters) - All Blacks great Jonah Lomu, rugby union's first global superstar, has died at the age of 40, New Zealand's TV3 reported on Wednesday.

Former All Blacks doctor John Mayhew said Lomu, who had a kidney transplant in 2004, had died unexpectedly on Wednesday morning in Auckland.

Lomu played 63 tests on the wing for New Zealand, scoring 37 international tries.
Report Roger The Butler November 18, 2015 12:35 AM GMT
True. Reported on several news sites now including Guardian.
Report Darlo Bantam November 18, 2015 12:35 AM GMT
This from the Telegraph just a month or so ago:

He is still battling the problem. In 2011 he had a close encounter with death, when his body rejected the kidney that was transplanted in 2004. “Everything that could go wrong went wrong. It was a battle. I’m lucky enough to still be here.” He needs a second new kidney. And until one can be found, he requires regular dialysis.
“I’m in England for the whole Rugby World Cup. I’m an ambassador for Heineken and I’m doing a speaking tour. But it’s also a tour of dialysis units. By the end of it I’ll have learnt the ins and outs of every clinic in the country.”

For six hours every other day he is hooked up to a machine that cleans his blood. Where once his routine centred around swatting aside English backs as if they were irritating bluebottles, now it involves lying in a hospital bed.
Report Anybody help November 18, 2015 12:37 AM GMT
40 no age for the first superstar of the modern era. RIP
Report ebulGery November 18, 2015 1:08 AM GMT
He was certainly a superstar r.i.p..tragic to die so young

How was amazing, he had the build of a forward but the speed of a back, it was incredible such a large man could move so fast

I remember in the 1995 WC in S.Africa someone asking the England Manager in the semi finals if he was going to pay special attention

to Lomu..he said no need,"Underwood can handle him"...Did he have to eat his words, Lomu scored 4 tries and ran through our backs as if they

were not there....nobody ever made that mistake again!

When he played he added always to the gates

One of the all time great Rugby Players..will be sadly missed r.i.p.
Report johnizere November 18, 2015 4:04 AM GMT
Such a sad loss. Jonah changed the way rugby is played today. Before him, backs, especially wingers were smaller fleet footed players, like Gerald Davies, JJ Williams etc. RIP big man.
Report Tommy Toes November 18, 2015 4:34 AM GMT
Very, very sad news.

I don't like rugby but even I could appreciate what he brought to the game the odd time I saw him play.

He seemed such a nice bloke too.
Report sixtwosix November 18, 2015 7:18 AM GMT
He was a star way beyond his own sport .

RIP Jonah
Report TommyBarnes November 18, 2015 7:37 AM GMT
Gosh, so young RIP big fella
Report rob_dylan November 18, 2015 8:58 AM GMT
I reckon he was the first, and greatest, international superstar of the sport.  He transcended the sport more than a McCaw a Carter or a Wilkinson.  Who else? some of the welsh wizards?  Colin Meads?
Report HH Sultan Vinegar November 18, 2015 9:09 AM GMT
Very sad news. He was a real one off.
Didn't realise he was as young as 40 tbh.
Report brendanuk1 November 18, 2015 9:25 AM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkJ1Wp9iko
Report dlarssonf November 18, 2015 9:57 AM GMT
RIP to a true legend , very sadSad
Report polybot November 18, 2015 11:00 AM GMT
120kgs and 6ft but was as fast as most wingers so a remarkable stature but not a great talent imo, more of a plus size statistic
rugby aside though, considering where he came from and what he became, he brought a lot of happiness to his fans through his exceptional humility and willingness to engage with everyone at anytime, and whether it was despite or because of his illness he transcended the triviality of sport and brought much to and from his community of south auckland, can't help but think of the sad and recent loss of jerry collins from the very similar community of porirua, a shining example of the child of the immigrant who accepts both opportunity and adversity.
very sad to hear of his passing.
Report polybot November 18, 2015 11:01 AM GMT
120kgs and 6ft but was as fast as most wingers so a remarkable stature but not a great talent imo, more of a plus size statistic
rugby aside though, considering where he came from and what he became, he brought a lot of happiness to his fans through his exceptional humility and willingness to engage with everyone at anytime, and whether it was despite or because of his illness he transcended the triviality of sport and brought much to and from his community of south auckland, can't help but think of the sad and recent loss of jerry collins from the very similar community of porirua, a shining example of the child of the immigrant who accepts both opportunity and adversity.
Report polybot November 18, 2015 11:03 AM GMT
Report SlippyBlue November 18, 2015 11:30 AM GMT
What terribly sad news, he was a Goliath in rugby union, a sport I have played and followed all my life and he was the most devastating player I've ever seen.
Report rob_dylan November 18, 2015 11:42 AM GMT
Exactly Slippy.  He didn’t have dancing feet like say Jason Robinson or Christian Cullen.  It was size and speed and THAT hand off, but that didn’t make him dull in anyway.  He was Rugby Union box office without compare.
Report wit-ham November 18, 2015 11:55 AM GMT
Really sad news
Report Capt__F November 18, 2015 12:28 PM GMT
RIPSad
Report bigH November 18, 2015 1:39 PM GMT
RIP

He was a force of nature
Report HH Sultan Vinegar November 18, 2015 1:47 PM GMT
that famous clip where he ran through (literally) the England defence in the World Cup brings back memories.

I was seething at the time. We had such a good team and I was gobsmacked when they chose short arse Tony Underwood to mark him, when imo the obvious
choice was the big Saints fullback (and not the Mott the Hoople vocalist), Ian Hunter.
Report Clerkmore November 18, 2015 2:07 PM GMT
Great player. Saw him interviewed during the World Cup. Sad news indeed.Sad
Report stewarts rise November 18, 2015 3:02 PM GMT
A devastating loss, a great man and fantastic athlete. Must have been like trying to stop a giant oaktree from falling down in a gale when he ran at you. Very sad news this morning, RIP big man!
Report rob_dylan November 19, 2015 12:47 AM GMT
The more I think about this and reading tributes and watching videos etc, the more desperately sad I realise it all is.
Report Tommy Toes November 19, 2015 1:05 AM GMT
Agreed.
Report bigH November 19, 2015 6:54 AM GMT
"Jonah Lomu put me on the map" - Mike Catt

Personally I think that should read "Jonah Lomu put me IN the map"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34862528

RIP Jonah - thank you for the great memories
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539