Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
i_agree_with_nick
06 Aug 15 12:31
| Topic/replies: 12,496 | Blogger: i_agree_with_nick's blog
Very sad Sad
Pause Switch to Standard View George Cole RIP
Show More
Report i_agree_with_nick August 6, 2015 11:34 AM BST
Obviously "Minder" was fantastic but I also liked him in "Root Into Europe" and "Comrade Dad".
Report kenny mann August 6, 2015 11:44 AM BST
eorge Edward Cole, OBE (22 April 1925- 05 August 2015) was an English film and television actor whose career spanned more than 70 years in show business. He played Arthur Daley in the long-running ITV drama show Minder, and Flash Harry in the early St Trinian's films.

Contents

1 Biography
    2 Autobiography
    3 Television roles
    4 Partial filmography
    5 References
    6 External links

Biography

Cole was given up for adoption at the age of ten days and adopted by the Cole family. He left school to be a butcher's boy but landed a part in a touring musical, and chose acting as a career. He appeared in a film with British stage and film actor Alastair Sim, and Sim and his family took in Cole and his adoptive mother when he was 15. They helped him lose his Cockney accent and he stayed with the Sim family until he was 27.[2]

Cole began appearing in films in the early 1940s, debuting in the 1941 film Cottage to Let. He attributes the success of his career to Alastair Sim, who became his mentor. Cole appeared in a total of 11 films with Sim, starting with Cottage to Let, and ending with the somewhat obscure 1961 independent film The Anatomist.

He also acted opposite Laurence Olivier in The Demi-Paradise (1943) and Olivier's film version of Henry V (1944). He is the last surviving member of the large cast of Henry V. His career was interrupted by his service in the Royal Air Force from 1944 to 1947.

He was well known for his lead role in the 1953-1969 radio comedy A Life of Bliss where from the eighth episode (David Tomlinson played Bliss in the first seven episodes), he played an amiable but bumbling bachelor, David Alexander Bliss, with his dog Psyche, voiced by Percy Edwards.[3] It lasted for six series and just 34 of the 118 episodes made of the radio series now survive. This became a TV series in 1960.

He became familiar to audiences in British comedy films in the 1950s. Cole appeared with Sim in Scrooge (as the young Scrooge) in 1951, but his best known film role was as "Flash Harry" in the St Trinian's films (two of which also star Sim), and in the comedy Too Many Crooks (1959). He also starred in the 1973 film Take Me High alongside Cliff Richard and Deborah Watling.

His most memorable television role was as crooked used-car dealer Arthur Daley in the Thames Television series Minder which he played from 1979 to the show's conclusion in 1994. Prior to this, he had played a struggling writer in the BBC sitcom 'Don't Forget To Write!' (1977-79). Another memorable role was that of Sir Giles Lynchwood in the BBC's 1985 adaptation of the Tom Sharpe novel Blott on the Landscape, which also starred Geraldine James. David Suchet, Julia McKenzie and Simon Cadell.

George has recently been cast in a new crime-horror film called Road Rage, in the role of Cyril, which will be released in cinemas in 2015.

George passed away on the 5th August 2015 in hospital, with his family by his side.
Autobiography

Cole released his autobiography, The World Was My Lobster, in 2013.
Television roles

Doctor Syn, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, was produced as a three-part television film in colour by Walt Disney in 1963, a miniseries before the term was ever coined. It was shot on location in England and was directed by James Neilson. It starred Patrick McGoohan of Danger Man/Secret Agent and The Prisoner fame in the title role, with George Cole as Mipps. A Man Of Our Time (1968) (TV series - Rediffusion London) Minder (1979 on) (TV series - Thames/Euston Films).

Cole appeared as a guest star in the Gerry Anderson produced UFO series. In the episode Flightpath, Cole plays Paul Roper, a blackmailed SHADO operative, who opens the door for a possible alien attack on Moonbase. Roper redeems himself by destroying the aliens but ultimately sacrifices himself in the process. He also made a guest appearance as Mr Downs, Tom Good's bank manager, in a special edition of the BBC sitcom The Good Life in 1978, filmed in front of Her Majesty The Queen.

Quite a career

RIP
Report rob_dylan August 6, 2015 11:47 AM BST
Minder was "The George Cole" show for me. He absolutely nailed it. Not so sad, he had a good innings and hopefully they'll show a few classic episodes of MInder as a tribute.
Report i_agree_with_nick August 6, 2015 12:05 PM BST
George Cole totally upstaged Dennis Waterman and made the show his own.

The show was titled "Minder", DW was billed first and was just out of "The Sweeney" and he sang the theme tune but it wasn't long before it was clear who the star was.
Report HH Sultan Vinegar August 6, 2015 12:07 PM BST
Great innings, great actor - RIP
Report The Leopard August 6, 2015 12:20 PM BST
This thread !
Report dunlaying August 6, 2015 12:41 PM BST
90 is a good age. Flash Harry of St Trinians was a great part.
Report mafeking August 6, 2015 12:46 PM BST
yep minder was meant to be a vehicle for waterman post sweeney but no doubt whose show it was
Report i_agree_with_nick August 6, 2015 1:04 PM BST
The episode where Arthur is called for jury service is starting on ITV4 now.
Report ditchbert August 6, 2015 1:04 PM BST
Watched him in so many things over the years. A great actor. One of the best.
Report wit-ham August 6, 2015 1:09 PM BST
RIP made anything he was in worth watching
Report Steve Voltage August 6, 2015 1:19 PM BST

i_agree_with_nick 06 Aug 15 13:04 Joined: 21 May 10 | Topic/replies: 7,264 | Blogger: i_agree_with_nick's blog
The episode where Arthur is called for jury service is starting on ITV4 now.

That episode is my all time favourite. The scene where the jury are sitting around the table trying to come to a decision is hilarious Laugh
Report irishone August 6, 2015 1:22 PM BST
.....  her indoors is mortified terry
Report pumphol. August 6, 2015 1:33 PM BST
When I think of it I always think of Minder as my fav all time show but its probably more of a case of a very good actor making a really good programme great.
Report stewarty b August 6, 2015 1:51 PM BST
Sad news. I could watch him in Minder just to see some of his reactions to events and his responses.
Report trilby22 August 6, 2015 2:47 PM BST
Rest in peace, dear Arfur Sad
Report alun2005 August 6, 2015 3:08 PM BST
The 'Minder' programme spawned a number of hit singles as I recall, almost all completely atrocious.

There was Waterman's tedious theme song, the godawful "What Are We Gonna Get For Her Indoors", and this one called "Arthur Daley - He's Alright" from THE FIRM in 1982. Were there any more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UCoul5SRzA
Report Velasquez August 6, 2015 3:15 PM BST
I've been watching Don't Forget to Write starring George Cole.
Report SlippyBlue August 6, 2015 3:21 PM BST
Such dreadfully sad news, Arthur Cole you truly were a legend and may your soul be at peace now. Rest in peace Sir.
Report alun2005 August 6, 2015 3:22 PM BST
George Cole played a very good 'straight' role in The Sweeney episode called 'Tomorrow Man' (alongside the young John Hurt). A very good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLeA9pB_Jc
Report Velasquez August 6, 2015 3:57 PM BST
Yeah, that's a good one - computer expert at the dawn of the computer age!
Report FOYLESWAR August 6, 2015 4:00 PM BST
george cole nailed it ! played the part to a t ,the shifty mannerisms ...........just looked the part the trilby the camel hair coat the car lot  the term would you buy a used car from this man..............made for Arthur !rip legend !
Report i_agree_with_nick August 6, 2015 4:35 PM BST
Dennis Waterman was just on the radio. He said, "his [George Cole's] favourite place was sitting at home with a bottle of whisky watching the racing".

He also said that they had a director on "Minder" who never said 'cut' at the end of a written scene, so he and GC would carry on and improvise and that they kept many of those scenes in.
Report twonky August 6, 2015 5:08 PM BST
The brilliance of Minder was down to the quality of actors used. George Cole was already a household name, Patrick Malahide ...Charlie Chisholm was classically trained whilst a few of the guest stars already were known,Beryl Reid for example, or up and coming like Pete Postlethwaite.

Credit also goes to the writers, ims it was Des the mechanic who did the majority, but it was Cole who upstaged everyone, though at times being second best to notable characters like Nigel his NF supporting nephew, Self Inflicted and the simply brilliant..The Syrup.

Not only does his death remind us of his qualities, but also of the quality of the programmes from that era and before. Unlike nowadays, where no talent whatsoever is of upmost importance....RIP.
Report MC Roller August 6, 2015 5:10 PM BST
Sad news. He played Arfur Daley to perfection. Minder was a show that always put a smile on my face.

You could watch Minder all day and never be sick of it.
Report G1_Jockey_4 August 6, 2015 5:41 PM BST
Minder is almost up there with Only fools n horses.

rip
Report alun2005 August 6, 2015 5:55 PM BST
A word of warning gentlemen. Watching "Minder' and other telly programmes involving C*ckney characters can sometimes lead to serious health problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NM5GFL-QU
Report Percy Filth August 6, 2015 6:07 PM BST
Alright my son, Leave it out
As it 'appens its your shout
Straight up, Pull the other
In a right 2 and 8
What's the damage Chief?
Who's your mate?
The geezer with the bunny in the trilby 'at
Reckons he's legit but he ain't all that
Arthur Daley, little dodgy maybe, but underneath,
'E's alright.
Report pumphol. August 6, 2015 6:07 PM BST
Well said Twonky.

Most weeks I sit down & watch two or three episodes of minder & have done for a while, George Cole's brilliance best shone through when DW left, those episodes were never as good but still a great watch because of the maestro.
Report dr . atkins August 6, 2015 6:53 PM BST
flash harry brings back great memories
Report terry mccann August 6, 2015 7:21 PM BST
very sad news, gonna raise a glass to the great man,and watch "minder"and see arfur in action once more,
R.I.P .George
Report FOYLESWAR August 6, 2015 7:23 PM BST
on itv4 in the mornings and repeated in the afternoons ! seen em all many times over but still watch em now timeless !
Report morpteh mackem August 6, 2015 9:16 PM BST
Archie Simpson sends his condolenciesMischief
Report i_agree_with_nick August 6, 2015 10:39 PM BST
I think that episode is on tomorrow (ITV 4)
Report Capt__F August 6, 2015 11:00 PM BST
usual Dave
Report terry mccann August 6, 2015 11:10 PM BST
show how the mighty chit chat has fallen
Report anfeild August 7, 2015 4:23 AM BST
R.I.P George. Such a class actor. Arthur Daley one of the great tv character's. He played him to perfection.
Report FOYLESWAR August 7, 2015 1:15 PM BST
minder on now itv4 pete postlewaite guest stars !
Report i_agree_with_nick August 7, 2015 1:37 PM BST
I used to work in those offices Neville came out from. (Near Putney Bridge Station.)
Report FOYLESWAR August 7, 2015 1:38 PM BST
pete postlwaite -oily wragg!
Report FOYLESWAR August 7, 2015 1:40 PM BST
those arches dessies  garage are in bermondsey where I grew up as a nipper
Report alun2005 August 7, 2015 2:38 PM BST
You all thought that Arthur Daley was just a mere comic character, an amusing shameless old rogue with an excruciating knack for a dodgy deal and memorable turn of phrase. Right?

Wrong. I have it on good authority, well, erm, erm, "The Guardian" actually (no, please don't t!tter Mrs) that Daley "to Lefties, hilariously exposes the shameless villainy of the Thatcherite entrepreneur; to Tories, he’s a hero of sorts, cheekily giving two fingers to the taxman". 

At least the author (I won't name and shame here) of the piece managed to get through it without squeezing in some sort of ridiculous claim that "Daley captured the zeitgeist of the post-Unions 80s aspirational culture…".
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 9, 2015 10:23 PM BST
“The Syrup - a character known to the police; a man is wandering around impersonating Roger Moore; sundry Indians book into hotels. What is the common denominator? All roads lead to Daley ...”
Report i_agree_with_nick August 11, 2015 11:49 AM BST
'Rocky Eight and a Half' today
Report Hound-Dog-2 August 11, 2015 12:07 PM BST
Been watching some of the Minder repeats on ITV4 recently, forgot how good they were, Cole & Waterman work so well together, but also some brilliant supporting roles playing the dodgy geezers, without doubt Minder was quality TV, great entertainment.  But the chemistry between Cole & Waterman really made it.
Report i_agree_with_nick August 11, 2015 12:10 PM BST
Ian McNeice plays the wide boy promoter today.
Report i_agree_with_nick August 13, 2015 1:27 PM BST
'High Drains Pilferer' today.
Report notwhatwho August 13, 2015 2:18 PM BST
A few scuff marks on a very improbable window ledge

Love charlie Chisholm
Report attitude adjuster August 13, 2015 4:22 PM BST
It was the great man's funeral today.

Plod was well represented - Chisholm paid his respects Happy

RIP old son
Report i_agree_with_nick August 13, 2015 4:28 PM BST
Des, Arnie, Justin...
Report morpteh mackem August 13, 2015 9:09 PM BST
didn't arfur  have a lock up at some time with boatload of coffins ? or have i just made that up.
Report GLASGOWCALLING August 13, 2015 11:17 PM BST
MM.   Monty Wiseman, a dodgy travel agent, pays Terry to collect a coffin from the airport and store it at Arthur's lock-up. It soon becomes clear that something very fishy is going on.

...  found that on the internet, i remember watching it now. like many of them i find them better second time around.   HappyHappy
Report Capt__F August 13, 2015 11:19 PM BST
can anyone smell rubber
Report theres only one best tonic August 14, 2015 12:25 PM BST
One of the best on itv4 today...................sorry pal wrong number Laugh
Report pumphol. August 14, 2015 1:21 PM BST
Watch them on catchup, no adverts just 47 minutes of brilliant TV
Watch them on catchup, no adverts just 47 minutes of brilliant TV
Even two episodes at once Shocked
Report i_agree_with_nick August 14, 2015 1:33 PM BST
But you might need a no-win-no-fee lawyerSilly

"You may call this Acton Green. I call it Providence." Laugh
Report BennyBinion1 August 14, 2015 5:16 PM BST
It's all on top!!!

It's all on top!!!
Report terry mccann August 14, 2015 7:12 PM BST
think monty wiseman was played by harry fowler, and a lot of the early"MINDERS" were filmed in maida vale where I grow up
Report GLASGOWCALLING August 14, 2015 8:41 PM BST
TERRY, you are right it was harry fowler .. deceased 2012.
Report bodil August 15, 2015 12:08 AM BST
Great man - remember listening to him on the car radio driving to Leamington Spa.   A Life Of Bliss - with Psyche the dog.  Percy Edwards, of course.  How is Perce these days?  Must be around his 108th birthday.  Happy days.
Report terry mccann August 15, 2015 9:46 AM BST
very watchable was harry
Report BennyBinion1 August 17, 2015 6:45 PM BST
One of the very best Minder's on ITV 4 now.

Or starts at 7pm again on ITV 4 plus one.

Wally West, Chisolm and Jimmy Nail as the pikey.
Report twonky August 20, 2015 6:08 PM BST
Classic on itv4 now with mournful and rycott
Report i_agree_with_nick August 20, 2015 6:09 PM BST
The Daley Workout?
Report i_agree_with_nick September 2, 2015 1:05 PM BST
England v Scotland tickets - ITV4 now
Report TommyBarnes September 2, 2015 7:54 PM BST
That was another good one today I thought, even with Charlie Slater from Eastenders as a rivals minder!!!!
Report i_agree_with_nick September 2, 2015 8:13 PM BST
Peter Dean (Pete Beale) appears in an early episode. A character called "Harry the Horse" iirc.
Report i_agree_with_nick September 2, 2015 8:16 PM BST
June Brown and Steve McFadden also make cameo appearances.

Gillian Taylforth and her sister made a very brief appearance in a recently aired episode. They played "Girls in pub".
Report theres only one best tonic September 3, 2015 12:54 PM BST
A real gem just about to start now including Dels Dad and Grandad from Only Fools
Report Rampant Rabbit September 3, 2015 1:02 PM BST
Im pretty sure a briefly topless young Sheerie Hewson was in one of the early eposides as an old girlfriend of Terry.
Report i_agree_with_nick November 26, 2015 1:15 PM GMT
Good one on ITV4 now
Report toffee87 November 26, 2015 1:50 PM GMT
the one the other day had the guy who plays Bishop (Len) Brennan in Father Ted - he was one of the stable lads when Tel was looking after a racehorse

I loved Minder back in the day - I love the names of the Jewish, Greek and Asian characters - they started repeating from series 1 on ITV4 about 2 weeks ago - I think we are now up series 2 episode 2 or 3
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com