Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Leopard
27 Jul 15 17:09
Joined:
Date Joined: 05 Apr 06
| Topic/replies: 47,811 | Blogger: The Leopard's blog
...

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 4
By:
The Leopard
When: 27 Jul 15 17:33
Manchester Royal Infirmary has shut its A&E unit after a suspected outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.
The hospital said the emergency department was closed temporarily while two patients are investigated for the condition.
A spokesman said the patients had been isolated for treatment and there was "no significant risk to public health".
BBC health correspondent Dominic Hughes said it was a "big step" for a hospital to close an A&E department.
A hospital spokesman said: "Both patients have been isolated for ongoing clinical treatment and management of their condition."
Manchester Royal Infirmary's A&E department "will be closed until further notice while further investigations take place," the spokesman added.
'Big step'
The first Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers) fatality was recorded in June 2012 in Saudi Arabia.
It is passed to people in close contact and is similar to the Sars virus.
Symptoms of Mers include coughing and fever
It can lead to fatal pneumonia and kidney failure
Most people infected have been older men with other medical conditions
It is not known for certain how it is spread, but it is possible it is passed in droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes
Experts believe the virus is not very contagious
BBC health correspondent Dominic Hughes said it was a "big step for a hospital to close an A&E" but the move would be part of its "standard infection control procedures".
He said: "Although it doesn't transfer from person to person easily it is healthcare workers who are at the greatest risk of infection."
He said Mers has been spotted in 26 countries, including in the UK in 2013, where it was detected on four occasions, resulting in three deaths.
Patients who would usually travel to the Manchester Royal Infirmary are being diverted to hospitals in South Manchester and Salford.
By:
Big_Issue
When: 27 Jul 15 18:12
Durty foreigners again
By:
alun2005
When: 27 Jul 15 18:34
Britain's hospitals have never had it so Vibrant.

Fingers crossed this won't inconvenience the Maternity departments which are under pressure as never before, to safely deliver the next generation of Jihadists.
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 27 Jul 15 23:46
It could be worse, they could have had a Murs outbreak with Ollie turning up to sing to the ill people and try to cheer them up. They should be thankful.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com