Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
spellingandgrammarchecker
26 Jun 15 13:21
| Topic/replies: 6,293 | Blogger: spellingandgrammarchecker's blog
Burgess Meredith as Micky Goldmill, in the first 3 Rocky films, for me.

He wuz 'supoib'.
Pause Switch to Standard View Who's your favourite film character...
Show More
Report pawras June 26, 2015 10:54 PM BST
Dunno about favourite but I liked Eli Wallach in ‘The Good The Bad And The Ugly’ ,and Dean Martin in 'Rio Bravo'
Report Eeternaloptimist June 26, 2015 10:59 PM BST
Mitchum playing opposite Peck in the role De Niro reprised in Cape Fear. I think it was Cape Wrath. Similarly his role as The Preacher in Night Of the Hunter.
Report Pokermonster June 26, 2015 11:02 PM BST
I think the original was called Cape Fear, too, EO.
Report Eeternaloptimist June 26, 2015 11:08 PM BST
I bow to your almost certain clearer and less drink addled mind at this late stage Poker although Cape Wrath with all its connotations would have made a fine title.
Report Pokermonster June 26, 2015 11:10 PM BST
There's a good subject for a new thread, EO!
Report Lee Ho Fooks June 26, 2015 11:27 PM BST
James Finlayson
Report Eeternaloptimist June 26, 2015 11:30 PM BST
Mitchum. The original Hollywood hell raiser. I remember reading his autobiography and what a life. One of the stunt doubles was once quoted as saying that in all of Hollywood in that golden age of screen tough guys there were only three of them who could do it in real life and go toe to toe with anybody and they were Mitchum, Palance and Ryan. According to him Mitchum would win hands down. He told a tale where him and Palance were shooting a movie and whilst they were pretty pally, Palance just needed to know and so in a fight scene he slugged Mitchum for real only for Mitchum to smash him in the guts causing Palance to vomit onto Mitchum. Laugh
Report Clouseau June 27, 2015 9:54 AM BST
John Cazale:

1972    The Godfather:            Fredo Corleone   
1974    The Conversation    Stan   
1974    The Godfather Part II    Fredo Corleone   
1975    Dog Day Afternoon    Salvatore Naturale    Nominated – Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture
1978    The Deer Hunter:    Stanley ("Stosh")   
1990    The Godfather Part III    Fredo Corleone

OFFICIAN END OF THREAD
Report MadVlad June 27, 2015 1:54 PM BST
Fredo was a rat Plain
Report History Maker June 27, 2015 2:30 PM BST
Chistoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds.

Though you could argue that he's actually the star, Brad Pitt notwithstanding.

Otherwise Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

Maybe David Strathairn in Good Night, and Good Luck.
Report History Maker June 27, 2015 2:38 PM BST
Also Brendan Fraser in The Quiet American. It's actually the title role, but not the lead role, which is taken by Michael Caine. I think that this film is underrated, and I can't put my finger on whether I've got it really wrong, or I'm just transferring my love for the book.
Report spellingandgrammarchecker June 27, 2015 2:39 PM BST
Eeternaloptimist   
26 Jun 15 20:29 
What? What? What?
It's a bold sinful man you are Slippy Blue.
And who taught you to be laying patty fingers in the holy waters?
Homeric.
Michaleen Oge Flynn isn't just the daddy. He's the daddy's daddy. And you from the old country

He was my second choice.

A great film, I never tire of watching it.

For those who don't know (heathens that ye are) it's 'The Quiet Man'

If you haven't seen it, you must have a look in before you die.

Obviously not everybody's cup of Rosie, but if you watch it once all the way through, I guarantee you'll want to watch it again.   

And if you don't, your name will go in the book, and EO will put a line through it. Happy

That'll learn ya.
Report Darlo Bantam June 27, 2015 3:27 PM BST
Gary Oldman in Leon.
Report kenny mann June 27, 2015 4:46 PM BST
The cat, in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, for me.
Report spellingandgrammarchecker June 27, 2015 5:08 PM BST
ffs
Report kenny mann June 27, 2015 5:10 PM BST
Laugh
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 27, 2015 5:25 PM BST
Karl Malden in One Eyed Jacks if you accept that Marlon Brando was the star
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 27, 2015 5:35 PM BST
Gary Oldman as Mason Verger in Hannibal
Report Clouseau June 27, 2015 5:41 PM BST

Cool
Report rogerthebutler June 27, 2015 5:51 PM BST
Ralph Brown

Danny the Drug Dealer in 'Withnail and I'
Report Kit-Kat-Dan June 27, 2015 6:15 PM BST
Alan Ford's portrayal of Bricktop in Snatch utters one of my favourite quotes:-

'Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by an 'orrible kant... me.'

Closely followed by Christopher Walken as Captain Koons in Pulp Fiction:-

'The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright, so he hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.'
Report Clouseau June 27, 2015 6:17 PM BST
So many from Pulp Fiction... Gary Oldman as Drexl Spivey
Report Clouseau June 27, 2015 6:19 PM BST
ooops... True Romance bot Pulp Fiction!Blush
Report MadVlad June 27, 2015 7:44 PM BST
Clouseau 27 Jun 15 18:17 Joined: 03 Jan 11 | Topic/replies: 1,341 | Blogger: Clouseau's blog
So many from Pulp Fiction... Gary Oldman as Drexl Spivey

^ hey looky here is this white boy day ???
Report guinness2dear June 27, 2015 7:53 PM BST
Not many wimmin named sooooo..

Karen Black - Rayette Dipesto (Five Easy Pieces) Me and Slippy have met a few like her..
Report Clouseau June 27, 2015 8:42 PM BST
^ hey looky here is this white boy day ???

Next time you Bogart your
way into a ****'s crib and get
all in his face, make sure you do
it on white boy day.
Grin
Report Roger De Bris June 27, 2015 10:45 PM BST
F Murray Abraham - Amadeus.
Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men.
Thomas Haden Church - Sideways.
Tommy Lee Jones - The Fugitive.
Jack Lemmon - Glengarry Glenross.
Gene Hackman - Unforgiven.
Danny Aiello - Do The Right Thing.
Gene Wilder - The Producers.
Danny DeVito - Tin Men.
Report Tommy Toes June 27, 2015 10:52 PM BST
Some great calls already - but here's one that hasn't been mentioned: Walter Brennan - for loads of roles in old Westerns.

If you can't place him, this photo might jig your memory:

http://schmoesknow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Walter-Brennan.jpg
Report sofiakenny June 27, 2015 10:55 PM BST
Thumper in Bambi..stole the show.
Report Roger De Bris June 27, 2015 11:00 PM BST
F Murray actually won an Oscar for Best Actor in Amadeus, even though he didn't play Amadeus.....
Knew he was too good to be true! Laugh
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 28, 2015 2:49 AM BST
One for the ladies

Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 28, 2015 2:56 AM BST
can't believe that was as long ago as 1987! 

it's where the now commonly used term "bunny boiler" originated
Report collywobble June 28, 2015 7:29 AM BST
Christopher Walken in every film he's been in.
Jack Nicholson ..Easy Rider
Report BrendanScrote June 28, 2015 8:09 AM BST
Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men" ... 3 Scenes and he owns the movie, only pipped to the BSA by Gene Hackman in the "The Unforgiven"

2 great movies & 2 great actors but Nicholson was stunning IMHO
Report pawras June 28, 2015 9:34 AM BST
two more additions for  me

Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men
Gary Oldman – Leon

They are probs my fav portrayals psychos
Report olddesperado June 28, 2015 10:21 AM BST
Ritso / midnight cowboy a shocking omission.
Report olddesperado June 28, 2015 10:23 AM BST
And  Hoffman again in rain man.
Report GRANTCKING June 28, 2015 11:03 AM BST
guess you could also say oldman in the batman triligy
Report CLYDEBANK29 June 28, 2015 5:28 PM BST
A few more of my faves

Christopher Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained
Fenella Fielding in Carry On Screaming
Charles Grodin in Midnight Run
Report guinness2dear June 28, 2015 6:50 PM BST
Slippy will orgasm over that last one..
Report paddletoe June 28, 2015 6:56 PM BST
Would not say he was my favourite but Tom Cruise was hilarious in his cameo role in tropic thunder.

We don't negotiate with terrorists......
Report paddletoe June 28, 2015 6:58 PM BST
Oddball is Kellys heroes was also a great non lead character.
Report paddletoe June 28, 2015 7:04 PM BST
I would agree that characters like Ritzo in Midnight cowboy or Christoper Waltz's character in Inglorious Basterds were absolutely brilliant but although they were not the main or highest paid stars in those films they would clearly have been viewed by the film makers prior to release that they would be the main stars of those films to give just two examples.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:26 AM BST
Being a lazy so and so I can't be bothered to read all the replies so mine is Jack Nicholson part in Easy Rider when he has his 1st spliv
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:29 AM BST
Some fantastic characters in one flew over the cuckoos nest besides Jack Nicholson.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:30 AM BST
Marlon Brando had quite a small part in terms of minutes in Apocalypse Now but he was made for that part and delivered his dialogue brilliantly.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:32 AM BST
Wolf an jack in American graffitti
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:33 AM BST
Wolfman jack
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:34 AM BST
Lee Van Cleef in the good the bad and the ugly.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:37 AM BST
Brilliant paddle toe  agree
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:37 AM BST
The little boy in Krammer versus Krammer
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:38 AM BST
The little boy in the champ.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:39 AM BST
Who was the Mexican in the other ones he was good at that totally untrustworthy rogue?
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:39 AM BST
Not often anyone steals the show from Clint Eastwood in a cowboy film but Lee Van Cleef came very close, maybe even nicked it in that film.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:40 AM BST
Yeah, the Mexican (I think) you men the one who Clint used to shoot down from the hangmans noose for the reward money. He was very good too.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:42 AM BST
I cried when I watched the champ and krammer versus Krammer and I was only a little boy at the time.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:43 AM BST
That's the one paddle toe couldn't help but like him
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:44 AM BST
Some great characters excluding the main baddies from certain Bond films. Like tattoo ( think that's what ye called him who switched the balls in the golf scene and could kill a man from 50 feet with his hat ).
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:46 AM BST
Yes Digdeep. I liked him too. I would never have forgiven Clint if he had not let him go at the end of the graveyard scene. He even split the money with him.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:48 AM BST
Little Ritzo completely stole the show from John Voight in midnight cowboy in my humble opinion.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:50 AM BST
Tarantino is brilliant at giving little cameos to forgotten actors and bit like being picked by Brian Clough they play they heart out for him.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:53 AM BST
Used to have a bouncer at a fav club his nickname was odd job he was a good one unlike many .
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:54 AM BST
Samuel L Jackson was really good in what was a small role for him and one of his earliest films in a movie called hard eight which interestingly featured a very young Philip Seymour in just one scene. Seymour was another great actor in non lead roles.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:54 AM BST
Loved Clough proper legend
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 12:55 AM BST
Top center forward too.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:55 AM BST
sorry your right digdeep. I was thinking of oddjob in that Bond film. I think but could be wrong he played a character called tattoo in Hawai 5-0.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:56 AM BST
Clough ( when he had Taylor with him ) was the best English football manager of all time in my opinion.
Report gentlemanjohn June 29, 2015 12:58 AM BST
Oddjob in goldfinger it was, great character as were most of the bond villains
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 12:58 AM BST
Made players a couple of inches bigger and few yards faster when he picked the in his teams. Who else could have turned the chubby John Robertson into such a brilliant player.
Report guinness2dear June 29, 2015 12:59 AM BST
Too many to mention in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but special praise must go to...

Brad Dourif - Billy Babbit. Probable his only decent role besides being Chucky's voice..
Lousie Fletcher - Nurse Ratched. My ex come a close 2nd to her in the evil stakes..
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:01 AM BST
The German officer in Schindlers list was excellent but still not as good as Christopher Waltzes character in Inglorious Basterds. His opening scene in that films was one of the best pieces of acting I have ever scene.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:03 AM BST
My favourite character in over the cuckoos nest was the old crabby one who thought he was something but not as good as the fella who kept saying hit hit Murphy in the card game. The big Indian fella had a pretty easy role to play.
Report Rob_The_Bantam June 29, 2015 1:03 AM BST
Don't think that anyone's mentioned Dennis Hopper in True Romance.

But Goodman in The Big Lebowski is probably my favourite.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:04 AM BST
One flew over the cuckoos nest is my favourite film of all time.
Report gentlemanjohn June 29, 2015 1:06 AM BST
I read the one flew novel very recently and it was excellent, gives a much more incisive look into the Chief Wiggum character.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:06 AM BST
Should have been the England manager God knows what he would have made of jokers the fa have picked over the years,Clough would not kiss arse unlike them.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:07 AM BST
Rob I watched the American version of four rooms recently and I think it was the vest or robe worn by dude from the big lebowski that was up for sale. Cant remember though how much the seller got for it.
Report gentlemanjohn June 29, 2015 1:07 AM BST
I mean chief bromden ffs
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:08 AM BST
The chief in one flew over the cuckoos nest was as slow as he walked backwards. Great twist with his character at the end.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:09 AM BST
By the way gentlemanjim what times does the snooker start tonight. I was only staying up because I thought it was on live from midnight.
Report gentlemanjohn June 29, 2015 1:12 AM BST
Havent a clue paddy sorry, to be honest no way i could get my head around snooker in june, will always feel wrong. Us purists know the real season doesnt begin until the Goya Matchroom Trophy in September Wink
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:12 AM BST
Apologies to anyone who reads my posts tomorrow and I have bored you to tears. I had a few glasses of wine and I am in a talkative mood.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:12 AM BST
I read the book first after reading the electric kook acid test about the merry pranksters subsidise by the author of cuckoo nest .ken kesly who as a college boy made some pocket money being a Guinevere pig for  new drugs they gave him LSD he liked it so much he made his own and toured America turning every body on a real one off.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:14 AM BST
I appreciate your stance on snooker gentlemanjim but I like the smaller events actually better from a money making side. Hope to chat with you more often again when the snooker season is in full flow.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:14 AM BST
No worries paddle toe I'ved been on the single malts myself and will feel a prat tomorrow but so what.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:14 AM BST
Love the first rounds of the ept snooker events when you get some players who my cat could beat.
Report gentlemanjohn June 29, 2015 1:15 AM BST
Did kesey write any other novels? I read cuckoos nest in a day, was totally engrossed by it and the fact that the chief is the narrator made it really interesting having only watched the film previously.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:17 AM BST
Yes I think he wrote a river runs through it or something like that ,could be wrong  I've had a few
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:17 AM BST
Yes I think he wrote a river runs through it or something like that ,could be wrong  I've had a few
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:18 AM BST
Funnily enough I think excluding school books I have only read a handful of books in my life. One was ann franks diary a few years ago and the other was a bill Bryson book my wife got me for a present.
Report gentlemanjohn June 29, 2015 1:18 AM BST
Makes total sense from a betting perspective padd, i just know if i start watching rubbish snooker in june i'll be burnt out by december, so will try to pace it. When needs be i'll just come calling to you for the tips lol
I would guess there'll be purchase in laying a few of the shorties early doors, ususally is anyway.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:19 AM BST
Read the book  saw the film and saw the play a great tale no doubt
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:19 AM BST
What was the Bryson book
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:20 AM BST
I appreciate the purists on the snooker forum might have a different perspective to my more mercenary watching of snooker. Some very nice and knowledgeable posters on that particular forum.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:22 AM BST
I am afraid I cant remember the name off hand Digdeep. My wife has all his books but only read one and a bit of another. He has a great humourous style of writing and his books are packed full of interesting facts. One of those books that you can start reading from any chapter. Highly recommend his as a writer.
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:24 AM BST
I think the name of the book Digdeep might have been something like made in America.
Report gentlemanjohn June 29, 2015 1:26 AM BST
Bryson did something like the short history of everything or something like that, didnt read it but was quite popular iirc.

Snooker forum is great paddy, its a niche forum so less wasters and trolls than you get on other forums where i dont bother going anymore. Long may it continue and maybe this coming year we'll finally manage to soften Angel Gabrial's cough Wink
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:26 AM BST
He wrote one about travelling around England and staying in bed and breakfast joints very funny I recommend it if you haven,t read it
Report paddletoe June 29, 2015 1:27 AM BST
Have a good week Digdeep. Really nice chatting with you and everyone else I have bumped into tonight on this particular thread.

Goodnight to you all.
Report digdeep June 29, 2015 1:30 AM BST
Good night all nice chatting with you
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com