Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Velasquez
04 Jan 15 00:33
| Topic/replies: 9,623 | Blogger: Velasquez's blog
What do you reckon is the most important scene in the three Godfather films?

Why is this the most important scene?
Pause Switch to Standard View Godfather Films - Question.
Show More
Report Capt__F January 4, 2015 12:35 AM GMT
Big Charlie putting the Horse head in ew
directed by burton
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 12:36 AM GMT
Have you become an A Level Examiner for one of the joke school whatever-they-call-them-these-days, Vel?!
Report rob_dylan January 4, 2015 12:37 AM GMT
Godfather 3 on now.  Brilliant film, Sofia Coppola really steals the show.  Awesome actress.
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 12:59 AM GMT
Tommy - that's exactly what I was thinking! Do this in English exams...why not? Kids would love it.
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:00 AM GMT
You havin' a larf, Rob...? Crazy
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:07 AM GMT
Well, I suppose you have a point, Vel, as although I haven't watched the Godfather trilogy for a few years (and Godfather 3 never more than once - such was the total shambles of a film) it certainly contains Shakespearean elements in all of it - which kids today would probably far rather discuss in a teaching session and exam.
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:16 AM GMT
You want a job, Teach Toes? I like your style, MAN...Angry

At the Progressive Institute of Schooling & Hobbies...? (P.I.S.H.)

£25 per week and all the barley and tinned anchovies you can eat...
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:17 AM GMT
hahahaha! Any Tunnocks Caramel Wafers thrown in - and I'll be there!
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:18 AM GMT
This third film is dire...difficult to believe it's the same writer-director who made the other two films.
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:20 AM GMT
Agreed.
As I've said, I've only watched it once and was so angry with what a total load of tripe the 3rd film was I could barely watch it - and have certainly never watched it again.
Report Eeternaloptimist January 4, 2015 1:23 AM GMT
So many to go with but I'll say the murder of Sonny because it changes the family dynamic and the way in which they do business. Sonny was a leader, a doer and a bear of a man. Michael is a thinker who doesn't want to become embroiled but finds it becomes his destiny. Had Sonny not died things may have been very different.
Report Capt__F January 4, 2015 1:24 AM GMT
split my eye
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:32 AM GMT
Good man, Eeternaloptimist - first proper answer, here...I feel like Sidney Poiteeourzeay in a class of English neds, here...Angry...only I am not black and Lulu is not singing to me...Angry
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:32 AM GMT
hahahaha!
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:35 AM GMT
And I am not chained to Tony Curtis...or Bodil, thank fook! Cry
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:38 AM GMT
This third film is so unfocussed, it's unreal - if they got Kevin Bishop to do a Godfather parody it wouldn't be any worse.
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:38 AM GMT
As Eternaloptimist has said - there's so many to go with it's a difficult choice.

However, one that really stood out for me was when the love-of-his-life new wife was blown up in the car in Sicily.

It was the end of his hope and belief that there could be pure joy in his life.

He wasn't bothered (as such) after that.
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:39 AM GMT
And I am not chained to Tony Curtis...or Bodil, thank fook! Cry

Very, very funny, Vel!
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:41 AM GMT
There is an essay online, Tommy, that compares the Sicily scenes to Eden, Tommy, with the bountifulness, the woman, etc...but the poison fruit was already there -- the vendettas, etc.
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:45 AM GMT
Excuse me, Tommy - I have to go now to the staff room for a Capstan cigarette and a pint of Younger's Tartan Special Ale Beer.
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:46 AM GMT
I can understand that Vel.
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:47 AM GMT
Hahahaha! My reply was to your 01:41 post, Vel - but it also applies to your 01:45 one!
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:48 AM GMT
*1:46 - NUMBERS!!
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 1:50 AM GMT
Jeeeeez...I was right the first time!

NUMBERS!!
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 1:53 AM GMT
Numbers 1:46...Bible?...You doing the RI, Tommy? You get an extra fiver a week for that - in betting vouchers...
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 2:03 AM GMT
hahahaha!
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 2:03 AM GMT
I thought the key scene was the one with Enzo the baker outside the hospital. Enzo showed great loyalty and courage to stand with Michael, guarding Don Corleone. Yet, when Enzo tried to light a cigarette, his hands were shaking.......Michael's hand was steady as a rock.....think about it......
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 2:04 AM GMT
Has anybody read the Mario Puzo book or books, btw?
Report Tommy Toes January 4, 2015 2:07 AM GMT
Not me, Vel. I barely remember the filums!
Report Velasquez January 4, 2015 2:09 AM GMT
I think I'll buy the book, Tommy...there must be one in every charity shop in the world.
Report tobermory January 4, 2015 2:47 AM GMT
I thought the key scene was the one with Enzo the baker outside the hospital.

ffs

was reading the thread and just about to post the correct answer and see you gave it away Sad

That is defintely the key scene imo . Michael goes to the hospital a 'civilian' , finds the guards have been sent away , and the visitors too because 'they were disturbing the guests' ,   immediatley understands what is happening, takes charge of everything , all he does after seems to naturally and inevitably follow from that scene .
Report A_T January 4, 2015 8:41 AM GMT
it's at the wedding when Michael explains to Kay what his father does and that's his family not him
Report Lee Ho Fooks January 4, 2015 9:57 AM GMT
The "don't ever take sides against the family" scene
Report Lee Ho Fooks January 4, 2015 9:58 AM GMT
^ the first one
Report Lee Ho Fooks January 4, 2015 10:08 AM GMT
Just checked - first one was what he said to Freddie, I meant the scene when he said to Sonny "never discuss the family business"
Report TheBetterBettor January 4, 2015 10:23 AM GMT
the adverts...
Report guinness2dear January 4, 2015 11:17 AM GMT
James Caan in 8 inch heels playing the 'hard man' and spanking Carlo with a bin lid. Just goes to show what a good pair of heels can do for a girly..

Al Neri (Everton stalwart) capping 3 - including Barzini on the Supreme Court steps wearing his old cop's uniform (great touch by Puzo)
Report Burton-Brewers January 4, 2015 11:36 AM GMT
I'll go for Michael's first wife getting blown up, had she not died he may have opted to stay in sicily
Report johnn January 4, 2015 11:54 AM GMT
I thoroughly enjoyed the Godfather III last night, despite the ridiculous storyline and the film not being in the same league as the first two. The filmmaking and broad sweep of some of the scenes was still excellent.

In terms of the original question, I'll go for the scene where Mike is standing at the window of the lakeside house contemplating having ordered the death of Fredo. Redemption and forgiveness is never possible when the line is crossed in terms of taking out a family member.
Report alun2005 January 4, 2015 12:04 PM GMT
The third film was ridiculous in many ways, not least the transformation of Michael from the beyond-redemption figure of Pt 2 into someone who passes on the mantle to Vincent (the bad seed of Sonny's loins) and cracks gags about "I'm gonna Iisten to a Tony Bennett record".   

With all its flaws Pt 3 is still far better than the pap that emerges from Hollywood this last 30 years.

For my money, the key scene is probably the one in Pt 2 where the young adult Vito decides to kill Don Fanucci during that religious carnival thingy.
Report Hound-Dog-2 January 4, 2015 12:18 PM GMT
The Godfather Part 3 is the weakest one, but it is still not bad at all, and still a very good film.  Casting his daughter in the film was a last minute thing after Winnoa Ryder pulled out, Sofia had a lot of critics unfairly, because she did bring a lot of innocence to the part and most of it worked well.  The ending was a bit naff and could have been done a lot better. And the violent scenes weren't like the brutal violence in Parts 1 & 2, but more like James Bond action.  Still a very good film and a lot of good scenes.

Key scene in the trilogy (?) so many key scenes.
Report acey deucy January 4, 2015 2:51 PM GMT
Great Movies but I can hardly remember one scene.Grin
Report lmfao January 4, 2015 5:11 PM GMT
the 3rd film is by far the best-  It's the most thoughtful of the three films, and its message / climax brings the entire series into sharper focus. Have watched it several times and have found new  nuances each time.
A very clever and stylish achievement.

The best scene- the Immobliarie board meeting in the Vatican- the intertwining of business/war/politics...

imo

Cool
Report guinness2dear January 4, 2015 7:18 PM GMT
There are two films that never should have had a 3rd follow-up.

The Godfather: Part 11 was one of the few follow-ups that was actually better than the original. There was zero chance of a 3rd version being as mesmerizing as 1 and 11. Godfather: Part 111 wasn't awful, it just wasn't brilliant like it's predecessors.

Jaws3 'The Revenge' should be shown to all future film makers on the premise that if they ever make anything as bad as this they will be deplummed and garrotted. The worst film that ever took a dime. The Director (who has recently passed on) made tele movies for years before and after. Whoever gave him the go-ahead for this should be garrotted and deplummed at the same time whilst reading The Canterbury Tales.
Report lmfao January 4, 2015 7:53 PM GMT
Laugh
Report unitedbiscuits January 5, 2015 4:03 PM GMT
Seeing Carlo Rizzi  beaten up by Sonny, I was shocked, never having seen someone punched senseless without resisting. You don't see that broadcast often.
You could argue that it was a pivotal moment in the story, too, giving Sonny's enemies an avenue to lure him to his death, and all that entrains..
Report Velasquez January 5, 2015 9:59 PM GMT
Did anybody mention the thing with the ORANGES...?

The ORANGES and the violence, murder and deaths......like.....the ORANGES?

Anybody pick up on this thing with the ORANGES? Plain
Report Velasquez January 5, 2015 10:00 PM GMT
With the ORANGES? Shocked
Report Velasquez January 5, 2015 10:01 PM GMT
All this talk about ORANGES is sure to attract Akabula...
Report RockMonkey January 6, 2015 6:01 AM GMT
Scene where Michael moots the idea, & eventually persuades the gathered senior top men - Clemenza, Sonny, Tom (but crucially not the recuperating Don Vito who would never have okayed it)- to murder Sollozzo & McCluskey. This sets Michael inexorably on the road that his father wanted him to avoid at all costs.
Can't agree with scene with Enzo outside the hospital as Michael, as a war hero, could have been expected to keep calm in such a situation without it necessarily proving he was a born gangster.
As for Godfather III I've never watched it as if any movie did not need to be made it was that. Ending to Godfather II, with an ageing Michael sitting alone with his memories, was as perfect as could be.
Report Velasquez January 6, 2015 2:56 PM GMT
Has no-one anything to say about the ORANGES?
Report Tommy Toes January 6, 2015 2:56 PM GMT
hahahaha!
Report Velasquez January 6, 2015 3:04 PM GMT
It's alright for you at the back to laugh, Tommy - the troublemakers are always at the back - but I'm surmising that so many people have watched these Godfather films MANY TIMES OVER...and never noticed the dozens and dozens of scenes with ORANGES!

The information on the street is that someone handles or eats an orange before every death or murder scene...
Report Velasquez January 6, 2015 3:05 PM GMT
http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather/oranges.html
Report Tommy Toes January 6, 2015 3:06 PM GMT
You know, you could well be right, Vel.

All I can say is watch those Satsumas!
Report Tommy Toes January 6, 2015 3:09 PM GMT
That's a brilliant link Vel - especially the photograph!
Report Velasquez January 6, 2015 3:14 PM GMT
Satsuma Slew Excited
Report Tommy Toes January 6, 2015 3:15 PM GMT
hehehe!
Report alun2005 January 6, 2015 4:50 PM GMT
Veteran filmgoers will be aware that 'The Godfather' is not the only film where oranges have made their deadly presence felt.

In this scene from 'The Grifters' below we see a gang of hoodlum recidivist psychopathic oranges transform themselves into a weapon. 

"Tell me about the oranges Lily"

http://www.miramax.com/watch?v=1jeXJvYjrPuGZ6wdwxafL1biBwbe7ubq
Report Tommy Toes January 7, 2015 8:56 PM GMT
By an incredible coincidence after I mentioned Satsumas yesterday I saw an advert for the first time today for one of those loan shark companies called, yes, you've got it - SATSUMA!

Do you think everyone using them will be bumped off by some Mafiosa figure if they don't pay up?!
Report Velasquez January 7, 2015 9:07 PM GMT
No comment.

Orange Omerta. Plain
Report Velasquez January 7, 2015 9:09 PM GMT
"Senator, my client is a simple fruit dealer from Orange County..." Plain
Report Tommy Toes January 7, 2015 9:13 PM GMT
hahaha! Orange Omerta indeed!
Report Burton-Brewers January 7, 2015 9:26 PM GMT
should I steer clear of the canard à l'orange at my fav bistro? Sad
Report Tommy Toes January 7, 2015 9:50 PM GMT
It looks like it, B-B - unless you want to suffer the consequences of such a dangerous order!
Report stewarty b January 7, 2015 10:40 PM GMT
Plenty of good scenes. I liked when the young Vito asked the 'landlord' to refrain from evicting the poor widow with a child and dog from their home. The geezer fairly changed his mind when he had made 'enquiries'.Laugh
Report Velasquez January 7, 2015 10:42 PM GMT
Yeah, it was good how De Niro kept looking across to his pal to check his reactions.
Report Castiron January 7, 2015 11:56 PM GMT
My son lives in New York, and often eats at the restaurant in the Bronx, where Michael shot Sollozzo and McClusky.
Report Velasquez January 7, 2015 11:58 PM GMT
Did he check behind the cistern?
Report donny osmond January 7, 2015 11:59 PM GMT
i watched the three films again over the holidays

part 3 has grown on me a little

but i read on imdb that there were several options for what plot  part 3 would take,
some of the others were more appealing

the execution of don fanucci in godfather 2 shows vito's cunning and ruthlessness
but probably isnt important as the first film would stand alone as a classic even
with no sequels

bringing in sonnys son in gf3 whilst michaels son goes off to be a singer seemed a plotline
out of a soap opera rather than something out of the first two films

coppolas daughter was awful too, what was he thinking
Report Velasquez January 8, 2015 12:20 AM GMT
Quality summary. Happy
Report stewarty b January 8, 2015 10:02 PM GMT
Did he check behind the cistern? Grin
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com