Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sofiakenny
09 Jun 14 14:58
| Topic/replies: 24,838 | Blogger: sofiakenny's blog
Sad
Show More
Report kenny mann June 9, 2014 4:51 PM BST
Oh dear. I thought he was a fabulous comedian/actor with a unique talent. Very sad and shocking.
Report Bergkamp93 June 9, 2014 4:51 PM BST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzWYfIBkHHs

Laugh
Report Tommy Toes June 9, 2014 4:56 PM BST
I've just looked on YouTube to see if there are any Kevin Turvey clips - and there is!

Here he is 'Investigating' Sex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CpHEqxy1jM
Report call me a taxi June 9, 2014 4:57 PM BST
Here you are, Poppydog.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106656/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_69
Report Geesyerdosh June 9, 2014 5:01 PM BST
Bottom is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. Can't remember a single episode that wasn't hilariously bonkers. One of the few comedies that actually made you laugh out loud.

Very very sad news.
Report Tommy Toes June 9, 2014 5:04 PM BST
Agreed, Geesyerdosh.
I remember one episode of Bottom in particular where Rik was going on a date (I think) and furiously spraying himself with deodorant - and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a comedy show.
Report Bergkamp93 June 9, 2014 5:06 PM BST
Yeah Big time Geesyerdosh, Absolute Comical from start to finish ..!
Report Bergkamp93 June 9, 2014 5:07 PM BST

Jun 9, 2014 -- 11:04AM, Tommy Toes wrote:

Agreed, Geesyerdosh.I remember one episode of Bottom in particular where Rik was going on a date (I think) and furiously spraying himself with deodorant - and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a comedy show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIG8hukzR80

Going to watch it now LaughLaughLaugh

Report kincsem June 9, 2014 5:10 PM BST
RIP.  You made us laugh.  Many comedians don't.
Report Tommy Toes June 9, 2014 5:14 PM BST
Bergkamp93, cracking old clips of Bottom!
Report Burton-Brewers June 9, 2014 5:19 PM BST
didn't any of you ever see the Bad News spoof when they played at The Donnington Monsters of Rock? I wonder if his quad bike accident did more damage than was ever let on, he was close to death apparently at one time.
Report kenny mann June 9, 2014 5:20 PM BST
One of the funniest things I ever saw Rick do, was when he was on stage performing the Elvis song "I'm Evil". (with different words)

Here's the Elvis version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_vRIbkyJg

and here's Rick's masterpiece. You really need to listen to the words, and it helps if you know the tune of the original song.

I've been looking for it on and off for years, and appropriately, today I've found it.

https://twitter.com/rorybremner/status/310718936478007296
Report HH Sultan Vinegar June 9, 2014 5:21 PM BST
great to see Kevin Turvey after all these years. My little brother still has to say 'sausages, potatoes, gravy' in that Turveyesque Redditch accent Grin
Report Tommy Toes June 9, 2014 5:23 PM BST
Fantastic clip of 'Richie's Date' Bergkamp93!

Unfortunately, that isn't the one with the deodorant (I did say I couldn't remember what it was about exactly) - but brilliant all the same!
Report FlowerMyth June 9, 2014 5:24 PM BST
Used to have all the Comic Strips on vhs, including Bad News 2, Young Ones, Bottom etc. He was really a very good actor in anything he was in. I also liked him as a wheelchair-bound detective in Jonathon Creek.
Report Geesyerdosh June 9, 2014 5:24 PM BST
Find it hard to choose favourite episodes of Bottom they're all so funny, but the gasman one with Brian Glover, the one when they run the downstairs shop, the trick or treat one with the exploding carrots and them disguised as Mr and Mrs Cannonball Taffy O'Jones are a few that spring to mind. Even funny just thinking of them!
Report Geesyerdosh June 9, 2014 5:27 PM BST
As for The Young Ones thought it was ok although the University Challenge episode will always be remembered as the best.
Report Facts June 9, 2014 5:31 PM BST
His  Lord Flashheart character in Blackadder was comic genius
Report HH Sultan Vinegar June 9, 2014 5:32 PM BST
my favourite is probably Mr Jolly Lives Next Door.
Report Tommy Toes June 9, 2014 5:39 PM BST
My little brother still has to say 'sausages, potatoes, gravy' in that Turveyesque Redditch accent

Great stuff Sultan!
Report bigmo June 9, 2014 5:49 PM BST
Just gutted.Sad
Report stonecold- June 9, 2014 5:51 PM BST
Cry
Report lybertyne June 9, 2014 5:58 PM BST
shiiit.  just heard it on the news.Shocked
Report maleuk01. June 9, 2014 6:28 PM BST
Sad real sad news

a comic genious, bottom, the youn ones, the new statesman all great comedies.

And flashart was a gret character!

"treat your kite (plane) like you treat your wife"

"you mean take her home at the weekends to meet your mum"

"No, get inside her twice a day and take her to heaven and back!"
Report kenny mann June 9, 2014 6:30 PM BST
I think comic genius is fair comment.
Report Barry Conway June 9, 2014 6:42 PM BST
One of my non gambling friends always says "you backed Sad Ken didn't you" every time I tell him I've been racing. Ran the wrong way and was shot about 2 furlongs into the race. They had to find the money to pay back harry thebastard!!!
Report crags June 9, 2014 6:49 PM BST
Very sad and unexpected. RIP
Report crags June 9, 2014 6:55 PM BST
One of my fav clips from Bottom    ... GASMAN

http://youtu.be/v5p-YQkbe_s
Report spellingandgrammarchecker June 9, 2014 6:58 PM BST
Sad news indeed, 56 is no age.
Report dukeofpuke June 9, 2014 7:06 PM BST
Sad that this newborn child has no home and no presents on his first Christmas Day, Spudgun decides to donate his box of Terry's All Gold chocolates to the infant. Eddie succumbs to guilt, too, giving the boy his Frankenstein's monster mask, while Hedgehog is compelled to give his bottle of aftershave - a new brand called Grrrr. Richie increasingly notices a pattern, finally realizing: "Gold, Frankenstein and Grrrr... and you're all wearing crowns! And I'm a virgin!" His blue "headscarf" clinches it for him, and he becomes convinced he is the new virgin mother of God.

always will remember this sketch as one of greatest and stupid af all time

we will all miss you
Report fronter June 9, 2014 7:09 PM BST
Tragic news  , terrible- Had to laugh though Ade Edmondson wrote - now he's died for real without me selfish bastard ! Laugh
Report Makybe_Diva June 9, 2014 7:24 PM BST
Very sad news Sad
Report sheppy123 June 9, 2014 7:59 PM BST
So many crap comedies about with crap people in them that just aren't funny.

Rik Mayall was ALWAYS funny, no matter what he did.

Bottom & The Young Ones are hilarious!
Report rogerthebutler June 9, 2014 8:06 PM BST
Kenny Mann that 'I am Evil' song (with Jools Holland on piano and Bill Wyman on guitar no less) as one of THE comedy moments my family and I relive on tedious journey or when things are beginning to drag.

'My middle name is Jeremy'

Just watch it folks!
Report kenny mann June 9, 2014 8:07 PM BST
I'm glad someone noticed roger, I once showed my willy to Princess Anne. It's very, very funny.
Report kenny mann June 9, 2014 8:09 PM BST
kenny mann
09 Jun 14 17:20
| Topic/replies: 25,679 | Blogger: kenny mann's blog
One of the funniest things I ever saw Rick do, was when he was on stage performing the Elvis song "I'm Evil". (with different words)

Here's the Elvis version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_vRIbkyJg

and here's Rick's masterpiece. You really need to listen to the words, and it helps if you know the tune of the original song.

I've been looking for it on and off for years, and appropriately, today I've found it.

https://twitter.com/rorybremner/status/310718936478007296

roger endorses this so it must be good.
Report sideshowbob June 9, 2014 8:16 PM BST
just got told this somebody. didnt know, didnt click on the fred.

never occurred to me he could be dead. wtf??  hes too young shirley? Cry
Report kenny mann June 9, 2014 8:20 PM BST
yes, same here bob, I didn't rush to view the thread when I first noticed it.
Report sixtwosix June 9, 2014 8:24 PM BST
Only heard this very sad news this evening.

A genuine comedy legend .

RIP Rick.
Report call me a taxi June 9, 2014 8:30 PM BST
And still no word on what he died from.

Apparently Ade Edmondson has tweeted 'And now the selfish bastard has died without me.'
Report 11kv June 9, 2014 8:33 PM BST
BB http://www.channel4.com/programmes/comic-strip-presents/videos/all/bad-news-tour

The best.
Report sideshowbob June 9, 2014 8:38 PM BST
im not usually shocked with this stuff. when i got told on the phone "you know whos died?" i could have guessed a thousand people and never said rik mayall. didnt realise he was quite as old as 56, though its still pretty young. he was always full of life and energy.

people throw about the word "legend" with everybody these days. amy winehouse not saying her death was less sad to people who knew her or loved her music, but lets be honest 90% of the population only know that 1 song she did that the tv always played clips of. rik mayall was in so many landmark tv shows and i thought he would be in loads more yet. he would have made a great grumpy old man character actor, kinda like jack nicholson crossed with victor meldrew and a bit of ronnie barker thrown in, he was born to do it. Sad
Report TheBetterBettor June 9, 2014 8:48 PM BST
Burton-Brewers 09 Jun 14 17:19
  I wonder if his quad bike accident did more damage than was ever let on, he was close to death apparently at one time.

I think he was still suffering  several blackouts  many years after that accident
Report kenny mann June 9, 2014 8:48 PM BST
I like the way you write from the heart bob. Jack, Victor and Ronnie. Great imagination.Grin
Report s.kenbo June 9, 2014 8:56 PM BST
RIP Rik.

I loved The Young Ones and Bottom while growing up. Will be sadly missed. Sad
Report BennyBinion1 June 9, 2014 9:02 PM BST
Filthy, Rich and Catflap.

Hahahahaha.

R I P
Report A_T June 9, 2014 9:04 PM BST
comic strip, bottom, young ones, news statesman all great stuff - very sad
Report MisterBadger June 9, 2014 9:05 PM BST
very sad, a genuinely multi-talented performer, the new statesman was one of my all time favs

rip
Report Hank Hill June 9, 2014 9:31 PM BST
RIP Rik

So many funny memories of watching him as a kid. Sultan I hadn't thought of Mr Jolly in probably 20+ years, but I think I I must have been about 12 when it came out. Watched it so many times and Nicholas Parsons Laugh
Report TheBetterBettor June 9, 2014 9:47 PM BST
One of his last pieces of work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHR5RqKw-0

Did he predict his own demise?
Report everythings gone green June 9, 2014 9:48 PM BST
Great obit sideshowbob

RIP Rik
Report soldieroffortune June 9, 2014 9:50 PM BST
The guy was an absolute genius.

Rik you were a true legend.
Report Just Checking June 9, 2014 9:55 PM BST
Currently up at the pearly gates whacking Saint Peter with a giant rubber frying pan Laugh
Report everythings gone green June 9, 2014 9:58 PM BST
Laugh
Report Capt__F June 9, 2014 10:03 PM BST
Rip

Flashart my fav
Report dewey June 9, 2014 10:12 PM BST
This is such very, very sad news - shocked. R.I.P.
Report gentlemanjohn June 9, 2014 10:49 PM BST
Echo everything said here, comic genius is not so wide of the mark

Will remember him mostly for The Young Ones which anyone under age of 40 is unlikely to appreciate quite how unique and groundbreaking it was. As 16 and 17 year olds it was the first time we could look at television and feel there was a programme being made for us, it changed the whole landscape entirely, they couldn't fob us off with re-runs of Terry and June or Dads Army anymore. Rik Mayall, Alexi Sayle, Adrian Edmonson - why dont we produce comedians with that kind of integrity anymore?

Rip Rik already sadly missed
Report ebulGery June 9, 2014 11:13 PM BST
very very shocked like everyone

yes his comedy did shock the old ones when he first appeared.....but he had true comic genius, styles don't matter
he was a very funny man....

I just hope GOD appreciated his sense of humour and lets him in the Pearly Gates
of course he will r.i.p
Report attitude adjuster June 9, 2014 11:22 PM BST
nice tribute/appreciation by Caitlin Moran on Newsnight
Report screaming from beneaththewaves June 9, 2014 11:27 PM BST
"This week oi've bin investigatin' death. Death: the grim rapist..."

We'll be watching his work for years to come. Doubt we'll ever quite believe he's no longer around.
Report Dobbo June 9, 2014 11:35 PM BST
Whenever I'm near-ta a-theatrea,
I ask myself - what IS theatre?
But I don't know.
Why don't I ask Vanessa Redgrave?
But I don't KNOW Vanessa Redgrave!
And neither do you,
Report mad mad moon June 9, 2014 11:47 PM BST
Sad that this newborn child has no home and no presents on his first Christmas Day, Spudgun decides to donate his box of Terry's All Gold chocolates to the infant. Eddie succumbs to guilt, too, giving the boy his Frankenstein's monster mask, while Hedgehog is compelled to give his bottle of aftershave - a new brand called Grrrr. Richie increasingly notices a pattern, finally realizing: "Gold, Frankenstein and Grrrr... and you're all wearing crowns! And I'm a virgin!" His blue "headscarf" clinches it for him, and he becomes convinced he is the new virgin mother of God.

I can count on hand programmes/sketches that I have watched on my own, that I can remember have had me rolling about with uncontrolled laughter. The above sketch was one. And i think I can still remember the whole script for the University Challenge Young Ones.

Comic Genius. RIP Rick.
Report ipl2012 June 10, 2014 12:21 AM BST
R.I.P loved your comedy
Report Eeternaloptimist June 10, 2014 12:40 AM BST
Provided much of the comedy of my coming of age period from The Young Ones to The New Statesman. Wonderful comic actor. I don't know if his post head trauma epilepsy had anything to do with it as we lost a close family friend in similar circumstances but in any event he'll be remembered by many for so many good reasons and that is a fitting epitaph.
Report charwell. June 10, 2014 1:12 AM BST
Him cooking the xmas dinner in Bottom was absolute class; spuds that broke the plate, vodka margarine on the xmas pud that went 'up a treat' etc.

His versatility and his total embrace of the characters he played mark him out as a genuine comic legend.

R.I.P
Report The beauty of Buzzer June 10, 2014 4:19 AM BST
Are you dancing?
Are you asking?
I'm asking
Well piss off
Report flushgordon1 June 10, 2014 10:37 AM BST
My theory is that he committed suicide when he realised bbc3 were showing a new series of badults the most p!sh poor pale poxed abomination of the young ones.
Report HH Sultan Vinegar June 10, 2014 12:51 PM BST
Campaign to get Rik's lost World Cup song to number one...
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rik-mayall-campaign-launched-to-get-late-comics-lost-world-cup-song-to-number-one-9518705.html
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK June 10, 2014 7:12 PM BST
Comic tool

Flashart the way he looked treated Percy !!! Lol

Bit young for young ones first time rd
But loved it
Loved statesman came on after spitting image on a Sunday !
Bottom just the best !!

Another thing he was great at story telling
Geroge marvellous medicine !

Rip
Report terry mccann June 10, 2014 7:45 PM BST
didnt rik and ade fall out?hope v much they patched things up

rip
Report the silverback June 10, 2014 8:19 PM BST
I thought there may be a swiftly hashed together tribute programme. Anyone seen any mention?
Report acey deucy June 10, 2014 8:50 PM BST
Sad News,i was a big fan..Sad
Report Burton-Brewers June 10, 2014 8:56 PM BST
http://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/rosie-mayall-facebook.jpg?...
Report crags June 10, 2014 9:09 PM BST
Report attitude adjuster June 10, 2014 9:19 PM BST
rik's no.19 on itunes already.

he's going to get it to no.1 after all

go on my son Laugh
Report crags June 10, 2014 9:52 PM BST
A fan of Rik's wrote to him and said that her dad'd 60th birthday was coming up and she enclosed a blank card and asked if he'd be kind enough to send him a signed greeting. This is what he wrote on the card. Top bloke. Copy of card:

Report ebulGery June 10, 2014 10:01 PM BST
Laugh
Report no moves June 10, 2014 10:32 PM BST
His death, was it anything to do with drugs?
Report rob_dylan June 10, 2014 10:33 PM BST
Funny letter that.
Report call me a taxi June 10, 2014 11:10 PM BST
Ade can't spell privileged.
Report crags June 11, 2014 12:39 AM BST
Glimmer, the man is grieving give him a break.
Report Angel Gabrial June 11, 2014 2:20 AM BST
Kevin Turvey
Report Clungehungry June 11, 2014 4:59 AM BST
With apologies for my early morning uselessness, but could someone repost the link to the World Cup song?

Thanks.
Report PatraTheCat June 11, 2014 5:23 AM BST
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rik-mayall-campai...

Too much late-night uselessness going on over here to actually check the link, but here it is.
Report bigmo June 11, 2014 7:39 AM BST
That card is brilliant.What a top top man
Report Bergkamp93 June 11, 2014 10:35 AM BST

Jun 10, 2014 -- 3:52PM, crags wrote:

A fan of Rik's wrote to him and said that her dad'd 60th birthday was coming up and she enclosed a blank card and asked if he'd be kind enough to send him a signed greeting. This is what he wrote on the card. Top bloke. Copy of card:

Class, Cool

Report Bergkamp93 June 11, 2014 10:45 AM BST

Jun 9, 2014 -- 11:14AM, Tommy Toes wrote:

Bergkamp93, cracking old clips of Bottom!

Cool

Report Bergkamp93 June 11, 2014 10:46 AM BST

Jun 9, 2014 -- 11:23AM, Tommy Toes wrote:

Fantastic clip of 'Richie's Date' Bergkamp93!Unfortunately, that isn't the one with the deodorant (I did say I couldn't remember what it was about exactly) - but brilliant all the same!

Yeah not the same clip ...Aye brilliant, must dig out the Bottom DVD's there about somewhere

Report rob_dylan June 12, 2014 5:02 AM BST
The song isnt very good I am afraid, shame as it would be nice to have a good world cup song.
Report The Leopard June 12, 2014 7:31 AM BST
Was he murdered?
Report Angel Gabrial June 12, 2014 8:52 AM BST
Yes the post mortem is expected to reveal that after his penis was set on fire his legs were then chainsawed off and the cause of death bleach consumption.

The public have been told not to approach a 5ft 10" bald bespectacled man named Eddie Hitler who may be using a different name and last seen in the Yorkshire Dales on a pig farm.
Report ExtremeX June 12, 2014 9:02 AM BST
very sad but that's life
Report Joel June 12, 2014 9:19 AM BST
I thought it was death.
Report Angel Gabrial June 12, 2014 9:33 AM BST
Rik has taken his last train to glory. ( a better expression than saying he is dead )
Report rogerthebutler June 12, 2014 9:39 AM BST
....and he hadn't even told his parents what time he was going to be home!
Report Angel Gabrial June 12, 2014 8:09 PM BST
Just Rik on the Letterman Show 1991 Rik would have about 33 at the time. Letterman seems to be squirming in his seat and even drumming his fist on his table in an agitated manner.

"Stop it you`ll go blind" Rik quipsLaugh

Letterman the waanker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPf5RrYPXYs
Report HH Sultan Vinegar January 13, 2015 3:00 PM GMT
loved this version of 'If you're Looking for Trouble.'

Rik arrives 1 minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBBIO7vncM
Report kenny mann January 16, 2015 8:36 PM GMT
That's a brilliant clip HH, one of my favourites. The lyrics are outstandingly funny. I'd been looking for it for years until it appeared on youtube a while back.
Report kenny mann January 16, 2015 8:39 PM GMT
A lot funnier if you know the original by Elvis.
Report kenny mann January 16, 2015 8:39 PM GMT
A lot funnier if you know the original by Elvis.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com