Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Coachbuster
07 Jun 12 15:51
| Topic/replies: 42,977 | Blogger: Coachbuster's blog
and a poshness rating out of 10 please .

Do you come across as  a big posh sod with a straw boater lodged up your ar$e, or are you more a Ray Winstone plastic gangster hard man type ? -maybe you are a hard man , maybe you're Ray Winstone .

Unfortunately for me slight shades of EssexShocked interspersed with light rustic tones.

Poshness rating  7/10 at best - can still sound menacing enough on a bad day  .
Pause Switch to Standard View What accent do you have ?
Show More
Report Ken Masters June 7, 2012 3:53 PM BST
In my head it's somewhere between Uncle Monty and Brian Sewell, according to my answerphone message it's actually an RP Alf Garnett.
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2012 3:55 PM BST
Brian Sewell is the Daddy of posh sods
Report liamcol June 7, 2012 4:00 PM BST
Awright big man, dont fkn annoy me ok?, unless ye want yer heid in yer hauns tae play wae.
Report Aunty Post June 7, 2012 4:01 PM BST
I don't have one but everyone else does.......Laugh
Report 718 June 7, 2012 4:03 PM BST
Do you come across as  a big posh sod with a straw boater lodged up your ar$e, or are you more a Ray Winstone plastic gangster hard man type ? -maybe you are a hard man ,

You better believe it sunshine. I make Ray Winstone sound like Prince Charles
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2012 4:06 PM BST
You're the daddy Shocked
Report redbag June 7, 2012 4:08 PM BST
cockney and proud of it

posh rating 0
Report Ivor June 7, 2012 4:24 PM BST
The Queen's English 5.0posh. (hint of Welsh after alcohol).
Report Slippy Blue June 7, 2012 4:27 PM BST
A cross between Jeremy Paxman and Arthur Daley.

Poshness rating probably a 3.5/10 I suppose at best but if I have been in the pub for too long I'm quietly capable of doing a 'Danny Dyer' and having it large.
Report orioles June 7, 2012 4:30 PM BST
Very broad Geordie. 1/10.
Report orioles June 7, 2012 4:32 PM BST
Or maybe not, old thing Silly
Report johnizere June 7, 2012 6:46 PM BST
Anthony Hopkins... sure puts the sh1ts up the girls on our call desk when I call in with 'Are the Lambs silent tonight (insert name)'
Report metal_micky_3_legs June 7, 2012 7:04 PM BST
Benny off of crossroads for me.
Report morpteh mackem June 7, 2012 8:16 PM BST
mackem accent - i sound like the ripper tape. Sad , posh rating -10
Report V4 Vendetta June 7, 2012 9:39 PM BST
A bit like Brian Perkins.
Report acey deucy June 7, 2012 9:53 PM BST
Glaswegian Accent,the English usually sh1te themselves when they hear it.Happy
Report donny osmond June 7, 2012 10:02 PM BST
oz from auf wiedersen pet

-10 hear n'aal
Report metal_micky_3_legs June 7, 2012 10:04 PM BST
^^^^^ with Y-FRONTS to match.
Report twomatchpoints June 7, 2012 10:06 PM BST
undred percent cockney

and prahd ov it
Report metal_micky_3_legs June 7, 2012 10:08 PM BST
^^^ what a kent.
Report V4 Vendetta June 7, 2012 10:10 PM BST
acey deucy 07 Jun 12 21:53

Glaswegian Accent,the English usually sh1te themselves when they hear it.

It sounds like the waste disposal is on the blink, that's why.
Report acey deucy June 7, 2012 10:15 PM BST
MA BAWS !!!!
Report metal_micky_3_legs June 7, 2012 10:36 PM BST
COCKNEY accent just sums it up in one....
Report i_agree_with_nick June 7, 2012 10:45 PM BST
I always thought London-ish.

Someone with a Manchester accent rang me recently (wrong number). I couldn't understand what he was saying, so I said, "sorry, who did you want?".

He replied: "not you, you cockney bast@rd"
Report metal_micky_3_legs June 7, 2012 10:47 PM BST
Like I say, the word "c0ck" is the dead give away really.
Report larrence June 7, 2012 10:49 PM BST
i am from sarf london, common but still polite with it. Laugh
Report metal_micky_3_legs June 7, 2012 10:51 PM BST
I rest my case......
Report i_agree_with_nick June 7, 2012 10:52 PM BST
If there was no traffic, trains or planes and the wind was blowing in the right direction, then you might just have about have been able to hear Bow Bells from where I was born
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2012 11:08 PM BST
I reckon a Jimmy Bullard type character you are  Larrence ?  Grin
Report Slippy Blue June 7, 2012 11:12 PM BST
Arthur Mullard more like Shocked
Report History Maker June 7, 2012 11:18 PM BST
I'm that oxymoron, a posh Essex boy.

I must admit that I do something that most people consider odious, and moderate my accent according to who I'm talking to. It's completely unconscious these days, and I try to stop myself if I realise what I'm doing. Sadly there's no overlap between the way people are expected to speak at the Henley Regatta and the Five Bells in New Cross.

It's borne out of being one of the poshest kids at my junior school, and then going to boarding school on a scholarship where I was considered common as muck.
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2012 11:30 PM BST
Same here Mr History - the posh  half of my family were educated privately at the likes of Kings College Canterbury ,and the other half (the more influential half lol) were basically from a peasant farming stock who could barely write their own name (they also liked a gamble by all accounts)Wink.

So i'm the first and only on my Mothers side of the family  to attend a good ol' scruffy,stinking state skool.

So  yes, in summary it's nice to be able to ebb and flow, and mix with the best/worst of them i guess   Cool
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2012 11:38 PM BST
History,

I think the Essex tag originally related to the slummy areas around the East of the city including Dagenham and Barking ,onwards and out towards Basildon,Canvey,Wickford,Tilbury,Thurrock,Pitsea and other such delightful places  ...and also the lower working class Nouveau riche  areas such as Epping and Theydon with its varied range of tanning salons and nail bars.
Towns such as Harwich,Dunmow,Braintree and Colchester were pretty much largely unnafected until a recent Chav infestation - and boy, can you notice it ? 

It should be noted however that Essex girl and Essex boy are generic terms ,plenty to be found far and wide these days . And Mockney isn't exclusive to Essex either Wink
Report Catford Toteboard June 7, 2012 11:40 PM BST
I've done a fair bit of radio and can't believe the way sound on air. I thought I spoke with a sort of middle England recieved pronounciation but when I hear myself its a cross between Arfur Mullard and Harry H Corbett ffs.
Interestingly, it counts against you in the City but not with foreigners like Americans and continentals who pay it no mind.
Report baldynut June 7, 2012 11:41 PM BST
SHUT YOUR MOUFF
Report Coachbuster June 7, 2012 11:44 PM BST
Catford - do you ever get Mockney accused ?
Report History Maker June 7, 2012 11:50 PM BST
Catford,

Not sure if it's your cup of tea but there was a great program on Deptford and slum clearances on BBC2 this week. Next week's is Camberwell.

I'd imagine with your username, you're a bit old school and might be interested. I'll just look it up.
Report twomatchpoints June 7, 2012 11:53 PM BST
I watched the programme on Deptford

Why did they put subtitles on the screen when black people were speaking in English ?

I understood every word they said
Report History Maker June 7, 2012 11:55 PM BST
The Secret History of Our Streets - BBC2 - 9pm (Wed)

The link is a thread killer (too long).

Here is a tinyurl...

http://tinyurl.com/bqhd88r

or just look it up on bbc.co.uk/iplayer
Report Catford Toteboard June 7, 2012 11:56 PM BST
HM, will be watching with interest on Iplayer soon, looking forward to it.
Funny enough Coach, no. That said, Mrs Toteboard sometimes complains about my pronounciation, but she's from Manchester so what does she know?Laugh
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:01 AM BST
A lot of people who post on here went to the best public shools the country has to offer, it's interesting how we all ended up gamblers.
Report History Maker June 8, 2012 12:03 AM BST
interesting how we all ended up gamblers.

Hmm. Gives me an idea for a thread title. Coming up shortly. I bet everyone's parents encouraged it...
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:03 AM BST
*schools* just in case the typo gestapo are out in force tonight.
Report Coachbuster June 8, 2012 12:04 AM BST
Bad influences slippy Wink

Watching the programme now Catford T, looks interesting
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:05 AM BST
H.M. count me in, I had no chance whatsoever.
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:07 AM BST
I was walking greyhounds at 6 years old Plain
Report twomatchpoints June 8, 2012 12:16 AM BST
My dad never gambled, except on the National, not even on the Derby.

Strange but true, I owe my gambling to the fact I couldn't kick a ball straight.

All round our school playground were terraced houses, and every house bar one had a high fence, so kids didn't keep pestering people for the ball back. 

When the ball went through the gap in the fence, whoever put it through had to walk round the block and get it back.

It was a betting shop, I was fascinated by numbers, and the father of the bookie I later worked for taught me a lot.
Report Catford Toteboard June 8, 2012 12:19 AM BST
It had a model railway for a while and is now a pond in front of Homebase on the Bromley Road by Downham I think.
There is a picture that I will try and dig out if you like regv.
Report Coachbuster June 8, 2012 12:19 AM BST
lol  classic from  14.03 on  -  this programme is like a Harry Enfield sketch.

'ave to go thievin' mate won't i ? Laugh
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:21 AM BST
Bit before my time Reg but found this for you.

http://www.francisfrith.com/catford/photos/peter-pans-pool-c1960_c520011/
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:24 AM BST
Just read it myself, we used to play St.Dunstans in Catford at rugby, we gave them a terrible time..
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:31 AM BST
Dulwich College, just down the road from Catford.
Report Catford Toteboard June 8, 2012 12:33 AM BST
This is a good thread about it Regv http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3148&p=35645&hilit=Peter+Pans#p35645

With a picture too!
Report Slippy Blue June 8, 2012 12:33 AM BST
I spent my youth at the dog track Plain
Report History Maker June 8, 2012 12:52 AM BST
All round our school playground were terraced houses, and every house bar one had a high fence, so kids didn't keep pestering people for the ball back.

That reminds me of university. Long story...

We lived in an area that every street had the main street, and a back alley for deliveries and the outhouse. Anyway, the back alleys took no traffic at all by the time we got there, except parking.

We must have moved in early September time and within a couple of days this old f*cker from next door came knocking. We thought, oh sh*t, this is going to be a long year - turn down the TV.

Anyway, we ignored him. He came round the next day so I answered the door, and he was properly old.

Him: You must be the new students.
Me: Well, we're third years, but we've just moved in, yeah.
Him: Well, very pleased to meet you. (Holds out hand, I shake it).
Me (cautiously): You too.
Him: Don't worry, I'm just over to ask you to keep the noise down during Emmerdale.
Me: Er, OK.
Him: Make all the noise you want the rest of the time, I'll just turn off me hearing aid. Fly a plane over if you want - when we were your age we had some parties.

Anyway, we ended up becoming quite friendly with him. He was double sandwiched by students on each side (housing wise), and instead of being a miserable old tw*t about it, he clearly thought, f*ck it they're here, I may as well accept it and have some fun.

He watched over our house, and the two other student houses next door over Christmas and Easter (one house foolishly didn't take to him). He even looked after our fish at Christmas.

Come spring we started playing street cricket. The old boy came out to watch and asked if he could join in. We put him in at wickie - had the reflexes of a cat. It became a regular event. I think that his hips were a bit f*cked but that's probably inevitable at his age.

We tried to form the 'Mr Adamson, World's Greatest Octogenarian Wicketkeeper Society', but sadly it was only about a month before our finals, so couldn't get funding

Brilliantly, later found out that he had a race named after him. Think he'd be a bit p*ssed off though because he didn't get to be there.
Report Coachbuster June 8, 2012 1:24 AM BST
Really good programme ,a real eye opener that .

Felt sorry for the displaced community ,evil at work there Sad
Report bodil June 8, 2012 1:33 AM BST
The rest of the world is only interested in BBC English.  Why would they be bothered with regional inbreeding?
Report Paddy Hair June 8, 2012 3:30 AM BST
Sort of a cross between Laurence Olivier and Peter Shilton with a bit of Eddie Waring thrown in also a tad of Jimmy Saville.
Report flatliner June 8, 2012 3:47 AM BST
Strong Black Country, which has never bothered me, cos I sound as thick as sh!te and I am as fast as f@ck.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com