Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mc Moonbeam
04 Jun 12 17:37
| Topic/replies: 13,366 | Blogger: Mc Moonbeam's blog
I'm still looking for a cheap apartment to buy & this area seems good value for money (heavy falls last few years )  but what's it like to actually live there ?

Does everybody talk with the strong black country accent & would i feel totally out of place there being that i'm only the other side of brum anyway ?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 173
By:
Crisp77
When: 04 Jun 12 17:45
If you say apartment no-one will know what you mean. They are known as tower blocks, or in the posh areas flats.
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 17:46
They are known as tower blocks

it's not That Bad .. Plain
By:
bix
When: 04 Jun 12 18:49
Plenty of places in the Black Country a lot better than Dudley.
Another planet completely to the other side of Brum and you will have to learn the language. A bit like going back in time but the people are great.
Have a look at Halesowen, Cradley, Blackheath area.
There's also a good train service into Brum in a lot of areas.
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 19:06
Cheers Bix
Yep that's about how i imagined it .. and the language really is like no other Crazy i'm not too sure i could fit in tbh
Dudley itself isn't that great then ?
i've looked at Cradley slightly but i don't really know the area's at all
By:
Emden
When: 04 Jun 12 19:13
Not trying to be funny but can't believe you live in the Brum area and you don't know how they talk? have you never met people from Dudley or Black country area ?(BTW Dudley is in the Black country so your talking about one and the same thing).

Yes, they have a strange lingo but it's perfectly understandable, no worse than the brummie accent (and I'm a brummie myself though haven't lived there for 30 years).

The people from the black country are usually quite nice people especially around the Walsall and Dudley areas, but as you get towards Wolverhampton the people become more and more miserable (seriously miserable).

There are loads of cheap places to buy in the black country because the heavy industry has all but disappeared leaving nothing but a wilderness in most places.

As someone has mentioned the areas around Halesowen are probably the best but a bit more expensive than most.
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 04 Jun 12 19:20
I don't have a local accent, and have lived in the area for the last year or so. It's OK. I certainly prefer it to Liverpool - where I spent a few years before this. It's more like the south than the north - which is a good thing imo.
Dudley itself doesn't seem up to much, the rest (particularly south of Dudley) is OK.
By:
twomatchpoints
When: 04 Jun 12 19:27
we wanna enjoy the gaaardun
By:
flatliner
When: 04 Jun 12 19:34
Dudley and places like that have the "heavy" black country accent. My accent is really bad but I got told I talk posh by a girl from dudley port. Lived in W Brom and Cradley Heath no probs, Cradley being a bit quiet for me. People are ok, the worst you get is p!ss taking (which I do) Grin
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 19:35
Cheers Emden
of course i know how they talk , that's not quite what i was asking .. more how much of a culture shock is it to actually move & live there full time not speaking the lingo .. surely not everybody has the accent .. or do they ?

I spent my schooldays in & around Walsall so know that area very well .. but am not keen on it tbh & couldn't live there .. there's also too many ethnics in Walsall .. is Dudley just the same ?
I agree about Wolvo too .. it's a def no-go for me but i don't know Dudley too well .. and as you say there are cheap places to buy .. that's why i'm asking for advice Confused
By:
Emden
When: 04 Jun 12 19:36
Timothy Spall nailed the accent as Barry 'Auf Wiedersehn Pet".

Sound dopey but sincere; basically the opposite of a cockney.
By:
flatliner
When: 04 Jun 12 19:36
You'll meet Osama Bin Laden relatives...

Oss bin boozing
Oss bin working
Oss bin skiving....
By:
flatliner
When: 04 Jun 12 19:38
Used to be a lot of local real ale breweries about, don't know so much now.
By:
flatliner
When: 04 Jun 12 19:39
And Walsall ain't the Black Country.....that'll be good for a months letters in the Express and StarSilly
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 19:42
I didn't say it was .. it was Emden that mentioned Walsall & Wolvo .. i was gonna say they're miles away & the accent's are different

Walsall's a complete dump imo
By:
stewarts rise
When: 04 Jun 12 19:46
Mauve tar Lower Gornal and tell em yow frum Upper Gornal, and run like fouk!
By:
Emden
When: 04 Jun 12 19:49
McM

I lived in Oldbury many years ago in a place called Langley. I used to drink all over the area, and found the pubs and people to be very friendly. The areas were ok but I'm going back a few years but doubt if they have changed that much.

I used to go over Dudley and all I can say is it's ok ish. You haven't got nowhere near the ethnics that you get in Walsall and W'ton. But it's not exactly Four Oaks either.

Merry Hill shopping complex took the life out of Dudley Centre.

All I can say is if I had to choose an area of the Black Country I'd choose as near to Halesowen as I could. Nice little centre, few ethnics, nice friendly people and a fast road into Birmingham down the Hagley Rd. You'll pay a bit more but worth it imo.
By:
Emden
When: 04 Jun 12 19:55
The 'Black Country' has no official boundaries. Try finding an official definition or a map - it doesn't exist.

From Wiki

The bounds of the Black Country, however, are controversial, and the whole of Wolverhampton is included by some and not at all by others. A common definition of the Black Country encompasses the three Metropolitan Boroughs of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall.[3] The town of Dudley is sometimes referred to as being the Black Country's (unofficial) capital.[4]
By:
Mr Eboue
When: 04 Jun 12 19:57
RACIST THREAD.

REPORTED.

ALL THOSE WHO HAVE POSTED THUS FAT CAN EXPECT THE HARSHEST POSSIBLE TREATMENT FROM MR MODERATOR.
By:
Cooee
When: 04 Jun 12 20:01
Culture shock???  It's not a foreign country McM!! Laugh

Most non-Brummies doing impressions of Brummie accents are actually unwittingly doing BC accents anyway...
By:
flatliner
Allways thought it was a social disease...

I've got a bad case of Lower Gornal.
By:
Cooee
ALL THOSE WHO HAVE POSTED THUS FAT CAN EXPECT THE HARSHEST POSSIBLE TREATMENT FROM MR MODERATOR.

My timing was lucky then! Laugh
By:
flatliner
When: 04 Jun 12 20:02
Yam Yams and proud of it!
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 20:11
Culture shock???  It's not a foreign country McM!!

ok Cooee ... yaw go first ... and i will follo !! Silly
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 20:15
quite right about the accents though .. us brummies speak like the Queen in comparison Scared
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 20:23
But it's not exactly Four Oaks either. Grin

Cheers Emden your post's quite helpful though & doesn't make Dudley seem too bad
I'm not actually looking at specific area's it depends more on the property's really .. what about Brierly Hill that's the only other one i've seen ??
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 20:31
and sorry no offence to any Yam Yams .. i know some good lads from Walsall etc but it's the kinda place that's ok if you grew up there but wouldn't choose to move to ..

Borrow me yaw coat Flatliner ..Wink
By:
History Maker
When: 04 Jun 12 20:35
Walsall ain't Black Country, but it's still a dump.

If you look at Brum and its suburbs as a clockface, anywhere from 9.00 and about 1.00 is a bit grim. Sutton Coldfield and Harborne form the front line of OKness.

I'm sure that there's the odd enclave of rubbishness to the south east and niceness to the north west though.
By:
brngtwt
When: 04 Jun 12 20:36
Wolvo a no go but you want to live in Dudley or Brierley Hill....
Can't afford to move to wolvo then ****?
By:
brngtwt
When: 04 Jun 12 20:36
the blank out was c0ck, but c0ck in a friendly black country way!!!
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 21:08
I don't exactly want to move to Dudley & could move to better places  ... i'm just trying to weigh up the value & see if it's worth moving to a cheaper area
The apartments themselves are quite nice & the area looks decent but as a cash buyer it would save me like 30k in the bank Happy
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 21:12
I still think wolvo's grim though .. but nobody has yet said Dudley is as bad ..
By:
brngtwt
When: 04 Jun 12 21:21
if you think Wolvo is grim then you obviously haven't ever been to Dudley.
How much you want to spend ?
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 21:22
My plan is to eventually buy another place which could mean i could rent one out .. but have to make that decision now before i buy a more expensive place & would rule that plan out for me

This is why i'm looking at value places now .. i'm actually almost homeless but am trying to plan ahead with the cash i've got so i'll never be in this position again
By:
flatliner
When: 04 Jun 12 21:24
I actually lived in this place in Smethwick....and my sentiments about the place are express in this vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr2PZpkOItY
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 21:26
about 70k

no i don't know Dudley at all but am going to view a few this week
By:
Mc Moonbeam
When: 04 Jun 12 21:33
either that or move out to the sticks somewhere like Swadlincote ..

anybody know of other good value places around ??
By:
Prepared
When: 04 Jun 12 22:12
What about Sedgeley, Beacon Hotel great ale, Sarah Hughes dark ruby mild mmmmmmm . Some great boozers over that way and the Gornals....
By:
brngtwt
When: 04 Jun 12 22:15
Prepared KNOWS.
By:
flatliner
When: 04 Jun 12 22:22
Ma pardoe's (The Old Swan) Happy
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page