Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
11 Jan 21 11:37
| Topic/replies: 22,075 | Blogger: sageform's blog
Has anyone seen any announcements about how to qualify for the Foxhunter? No more ptp before March so only 2 placed runs in hunter chases?  I would not touch ante post unless I knew a horse was qualified.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 58
By:
Ramruma
When: 14 Jan 21 11:26
Will the bar on amateur riders be lifted before Cheltenham?
By:
cobra sam
When: 16 Jan 21 12:05
good thinking ..what other races are ameteur jocks? 1 or 2 of the hcaps if memory serves
By:
Bentring
When: 16 Jan 21 13:41
All races open to amateurs
By:
cobra sam
When: 16 Jan 21 18:43
of course they are,,,but theres a few that are ameteur only ...thats the point!
By:
sageform
When: 17 Jan 21 12:11
There were always 3. NH chase, Foxhunters and Kim Muir. One per day back when it was a 3 day meeting. Not sure if the conditions of the NH chase have changed.
By:
sageform
When: 17 Jan 21 12:13
Just checked and the NH chase is now run over 3m 6f and confined to amateurs with a class B license.
By:
sageform
When: 17 Jan 21 12:15
They will surely have to lift the amateur restriction in order to allow any horses to qualify for the Foxhunters! I suppose they could allow any certificates from last season to qualify.
By:
muse
When: 19 Jan 21 20:29
Sageform, to reply to the original question, I tweeted the P2P authority to ask, but no reply yet.
By:
sageform
When: 20 Jan 21 09:07
Interesting and thanks for the info muse. It is a very important question for anyone trying to qualify a horse or for ante post punters.
By:
sageform
When: 20 Jan 21 11:56
https://www.britishhorseracing.com/press_releases/changes-to-horse-qualification-conditions-for-st-jamess-place-foxhunter-challenge-cup-open-hunters-chase-randox-foxhunters-open-hunters-chase/
By:
sageform
When: 20 Jan 21 11:59
The link has been discussed on jumping for fun apparently. It seems possible that "amateur" owners and trainers of qualified horses may not be admitted to Cheltenham even if they have a runner. Professionals only. So how do they get the horses there? The plot thickens.
By:
sageform
When: 21 Jan 21 09:11
The RP have published the BHA qualifications today. They also report that, sadly, the word Fox has been removed from the race title. Another victory for the woke brigade.
By:
cloone river
When: 21 Jan 21 19:04
Is that a joke sageform about the word fox being removed?
By:
muse
When: 22 Jan 21 09:31
It is no joke, cloone river. The pathetic capitulation to the linguistic tyranny of the woke is not an illusion.  It creeps in everywhere. Resist and you will be cancelled.
By:
sageform
When: 22 Jan 21 09:43
Aintree have so far not followed their example but plenty of time for pressure to be put on them too.
By:
cloone river
When: 22 Jan 21 10:37
So the word fox hunters offends people?
By:
Andymca
When: 22 Jan 21 10:54
Fox hunting is a cruel barbaric and outdated event. I am glad that Cheltenham has disassociated themseves from it.
By:
sageform
When: 22 Jan 21 11:40
without hunting, there would never have been steeplechasing.
By:
cloone river
When: 22 Jan 21 13:07
You are probably right Andymca.Fox hunting in great Britain is illegal?
By:
Andymca
When: 22 Jan 21 13:20
Sageform, that was then and this is now. Hunting am animal with a pack of dogs over miles of countryside for nothingelse than personal pleasure and social standing, is something that belongs in the past. Changing the name of the race does not devalue it in any way and sets a good example for the younger generation.
By:
cobra sam
When: 22 Jan 21 14:30
my first reaction was ohhh dear,but on reflection i agree with andymca ...folk will still call it the foxhunters but over time it will dilute ....
By:
Govan Spoonful
When: 24 Jan 21 13:40
I certainly agree with the dropping of "fox", although is it yet too late for anti-woke contrarian Laurence (of that ilk) to come in and sponsor the race to preserve its name?
I am joking, of course.
By:
differentdrum
When: 26 Jan 21 18:37
Yes, anything appearing to create a space from the hunting brigade is a good move. Perhaps we can get rid of the 'hunter' bit as well?

In the good old days there used to be two hunter chases on a three day card. Thankfully, times have moved on, and they would move on even further if they shunted the race to the April meeting, and for good measure took the Cross Country Chase with it. Hunter chasing is in a terrible state because all the half decent point-to-pointers are immediately sold. The likes of Shand-Kydd, Collins and Thorne are a very distant memory.
By:
muse
When: 27 Jan 21 11:49
In a normal year I would be deciding where to watch the qualifying hunter chases on my day off: The Dog and Duck; The Bird in Hand; The Fox and Hounds; The Hare and Hounds; The Fighting ****?

Post COVID I look forward to a world where I can do so in Willy Woke's Vegan Latte Bar.

The Foxhunter, along with all Hunter's Chases and Points is undoubtedly in irreversible decline.  It has become increasingly professional dominated, and the grass roots behind it are in their death throes.

But names preserve memories of archaic practices.  The Foxhunter is named for a practice of the past.  Nobody thinks the name is an active encouragement to go and pursue a fox.  In the same way that one person can both be vegan, and enjoy the music of the Smashing Pumpkins (could we get D. Bass to confirm this?).

No moral ground is gained by expunging words, which in themselves do no harm.  The harm comes from being inattentive and uninquisitive about how we arrived at today.  Without knowing how the past led us to here we can easily end up with an aggressive orthodoxy about how the world should be which is as dangerous as it is unpleasant.

Right that is off my chest and I will say no more about it.

I would very much like to know the answer to the OP still, though!
By:
sageform
When: 28 Jan 21 17:31
So far there has been just one hunter chase in England so just 4 qualifiers and the riders needed to be professional! If you remove the names fox, hunter and amateur, the race ceases to exist in any meaningful form. I am a 70 year enthusiast of ptp and hunter chases so I will mourn their passing. Baulking Green, The Dikler, Pure Lady (ridden to victory many times by the one armed Gregory Phillips), Credit Call, Woodside Terrace and so many more great names from the 50's to '70s.
By:
irishone
When: 29 Jan 21 06:18
So you would sooner allow foxes to habit your city streets ?
Vermine of the worse kind , still being hunted and always will be  by farmers in Ireland because they have experience  of what they can do.
Bringing foxes into your towns and cities is like letting a pandemic come in through your airports.
Hang on a minute !
By:
irishone
When: 29 Jan 21 07:34
Mother's 'nightmare' after baby twins 'mauled' by fox
Published7 June 2010

Fox attacked baby boy in own home, police say
Published10 February 2013

MAULED BY FOX Horror injuries of seven-month-old baby attacked by fox that crept into family home and BIT her in bouncer
Plymouth family say animal had been lurking around their garden before it snuck into their home and attacked tot

14 Feb 2018, 17:48Updated: 16 Feb 2018, 5:15
A BABY girl was bitten by a fox after it crept into their home

What is wrong with ejits ?
By:
Andymca
When: 29 Jan 21 10:58
killing foxes as vermin is one thing but hunting them with a pack of dogs and a glassof champagne and then calling it a sport is another thing altogether
By:
irishone
When: 29 Jan 21 13:55
You been to hunt lately ?
By:
Andymca
When: 29 Jan 21 16:20
Slaughtering animals for social standing is not my kind of fun. Sign the petition you know you want to. https://focusingonwildlife.com/news/petition-ban-fox-hunting-in-ireland/
By:
irishone
When: 29 Jan 21 16:41
Ah thought so .....you havent a clue what happens at hunts in Ireland
By:
Andymca
When: 29 Jan 21 17:04
Why chase a fox over fields with horses and dogs to kill it as vermin, when a shotgun will do it a lot more efficiently and humanely. I think you will find that the majority of Irish people agree with me.
By:
irishone
When: 29 Jan 21 19:37
A shotgun ? You are absolutely clueless pal.
By:
Andymca
When: 29 Jan 21 20:02
I thought a shotgun was the preferred choice of you landed gentry.
By:
irishone
When: 29 Jan 21 20:08
It is when it comes to antis like you.....
By:
sageform
When: 30 Jan 21 12:17
I have to admit to being on both sides of this one. I grew up on farm and went hunting on foot as a teenager but not since. I believe that tradition is an important part of racing and a countryside base has always supported jumping. If foxes were killed quietly, it made good sense as they are a significant economic cost for farmers but the dressing up and riding to hounds is what has brought it's demise. Badgers are far more destructive than foxes but there is no way that they can be harmed.
By:
Andymca
When: 30 Jan 21 13:00
You might be needing one of these once Irishone wakes up https://www.safeguardclothing.com/uk/15-bullet-proof-vests/?gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YM6ujXYzklHRLQTl6hOdTYoSQr2UkaVJen7YY8evJvhxALWj3Ls2wRoCiPkQAvD_BwE
By:
irishone
When: 30 Jan 21 13:01
My family "hunt" now every year .....dont think they have ever caught a cold let alone a fox. All they do is follow the trail of a scent. Its an iconoc irish village tradition.
By:
Andymca
When: 30 Jan 21 22:56
iconoc irish village tradition? Are you having a laugh or drinking too early again ?
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com