Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Cash Is King
06 Mar 18 21:07
| Topic/replies: 1,339 | Blogger: Cash Is King's blog
With so many horses carrying multiple entries and lots of uncertainty regarding running plans I'm inclined to think that the introduction of 48 hour declarations this year is a good thing from a punter's perspective.  It'll give us all just a bit more time to process final decs and analyse each race.
Pause Switch to Standard View 48 hr decs for the Festival
Show More
Report equine flew March 6, 2018 9:27 PM GMT
And cause lots of non runners, meaning lots of trainers miss an opportunity for a run
Report ACStafford March 6, 2018 9:44 PM GMT
I'm in two minds about it. I've wanted it for years, but I feel something will be lost from the excitement of Monday lunch, going through all the finalised cards for the first day, feeling that it is all but upon us. It's not going to be quite the same having those cards a good 50 hours before the start, especially since it's falling on mother's day and I shall have other things to do.
Report ACStafford March 6, 2018 9:44 PM GMT
I'm in two minds about it. I've wanted it for years, but I feel something will be lost from the excitement of Monday lunch, going through all the finalised cards for the first day, feeling that it is all but upon us. It's not going to be quite the same having those cards a good 50 hours before the start, especially since it's falling on mother's day and I shall have other things to do.
Report Dav_vin03 March 6, 2018 10:29 PM GMT
48 hours isnt enough, should be 96 hours IMO
Report Cash Is King March 7, 2018 8:03 AM GMT
Not sure why the introduction of 48 hr decs should cause "lots of non runners" although I do recall the system was cynically abused by Paul Nicholls back in 2004 when it was last adopted. He declared Rigmarole in the County Hurdle for the sole purpose of keeping eventual winner Sporazene's weight down and ensuring that a good number of fancied horses had to run from out of the handicap. Rigmarole had run in the Champion hurdle earlier in the week and was pulled out of the race either the day before or on the morning of the County race, thus ensuring that the weights couldn't be raised.

There will also be reserves for the first time so any NRs will presumably trigger the entry of reserves into the race proper (presumably only if NR notification takes place before a predetermined cutoff time). That could be interesting from a betting perspective if a fancied runner makes it onto the reserve list and then at the last minute gets to run in a race on declaration of a NR.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com