Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
PeteTheBloke
01 Mar 18 20:23
| Topic/replies: 6,442 | Blogger: PeteTheBloke's blog
Anyone know?
Pause Switch to Standard View Where's the PLUNGE thread please?
Show More
Report FOYLESWAR March 1, 2018 8:41 PM GMT
now been downgraded to the "plop" thread due to lack of bodies on here !
Report PeteTheBloke March 1, 2018 8:41 PM GMT
What a shame
Report ACStafford March 1, 2018 9:27 PM GMT
It has just been discussed briefly on the handicaps thread.
Report harry callaghan March 2, 2018 12:55 AM GMT
the horrible picks is enough to scare anyone off imo

if you are going to have another go, please pick someone who knows a little about racing
Report liberator of the oppressed March 2, 2018 6:39 AM GMT
Harry my knowledge of horses is not as good as the aficionados on here could talk all morning about a good bottle of pom pom however I agree with BigF le breuil......the moneys coming for the horse, come on boy!!!! in the CORAL. I'm on for a tanker full.
Report unclepuncle March 2, 2018 11:09 AM GMT
Has there ever been a winner selected in the forum plunge?

Certainly the last few years have been hopeless.
Report That is all March 2, 2018 11:33 AM GMT
Uncle - think the nearest it ever came was Olofi in the County who finished 12th Wink
Report HaylingBilly March 2, 2018 11:56 AM GMT
harry - are you a willing volunteer ? if yes, the baton is firmly in your hand as far as I am concerned. Lead and I will follow.
Report harry callaghan March 2, 2018 12:15 PM GMT
very kind of you to say billy but not sure i'm everyone's bag and not sure i'd enjoy putting people away tbh as am hard on myself for backing muck and would want a winner for everyone and it is always about price so take le breuil who liberator likes, he wouldn't be a big enough price for me and the only tank i would be filling up would be the shed i drive (no offence liberator)...

anyway am happy to help if i can
Report HaylingBilly March 2, 2018 1:27 PM GMT
You cant do any worse than recent years mate. And backing "muck" is all part of the fun. That earth shattering moment when you push the button on the bet and you instantly know in your heart you have just pished away your money. In fact, thinking about it based on the forum plunge why the hell do I listen to a word that is ever said on this forum. We haven't picked a winner .......ever in my experience. Says it all doesn't it. I think I have seen the light !!!!!
Report harry callaghan March 2, 2018 2:46 PM GMT
i can't say i have played any of them tbh billy as didn't respect the people picking them or the picks they came down on, if i knew they had put the work in, they would of known the horses picked had no chance, so no damage for me but like i say if you are going to have a go and i like the thread, please pick someone who is a student of the form book, even then it won't be easy and no doubt it'll be tailed but hopefully a chance of nailing a winner for all the lads and lassies on here to enjoy. sorry to seem brutal
Report buddeliea March 2, 2018 4:52 PM GMT
Why not have a look at the races where you know the form without having to study too much.
All this tricky handicap stuff seems a bit unnecessary to me,and never works anyway. Plenty of other races.
Nice e/w Acca or Lucky15 maybe?
How about Definitly Red in the Gold Cup for one? Nice price,and if soft ground a fair e/w chance imo.
Report The Dragon March 2, 2018 5:18 PM GMT
my contribution is MOVEWITHTHETIMES in the Close Brothers Novice handicaop chase backed it at 14/1 and now 10/1 definate target and in with a shout CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report nocturnal March 3, 2018 12:50 AM GMT
With Harry/Uncle......without a decent case being made for a selection....no point.

The possible answer might be to let the horse(s) choose themselves,based on how many people fancy a particular horse,each horse in whichever race can be nominated,receive a vote.

If for example you have 40 votes on race A....15,12,5,3,2,1,1,1......the choice could be between the two most fancied,it also offers the option of combining your own one with those that are strongest.

Budd makes a fair point......deciding the races?

Graded races or Handicaps?

Too much guessing for day 1....first priority will be ground,everyone in the dark,including Claisse ,I would go days 2,3,4

RSA or JLT
STAYERS
GOLD CUP..........all 4 look open betting wise,sensible option.

OR

CORAL CUP
PERTEMPS
COUNTY.............3 of the toughest handicaps at the meeting,bragging option.

Only with 24 hr decs do any of us know the true opposition,cut off could be morning of race?

The races can be treated individually/or as a patent/trixie......thats down to the punter,not the horse(s)

Plenty on here with a view......asking an individual/small group is tough,arguably unfair.

If you do still fancy your own,there is always the option to cover several voted in pool betting,endless options really.

Coming into this meeting above all others,things can change very quickly,having different views from various angles can turn it around,blah blah blah at 16/1 no good.....tell me why it will win,I'm interested.

Might take a little tweaking...the emphasis might be on sharing approaches.

Just one option
Report onehundredandeighty March 3, 2018 5:33 AM GMT
If anyone takes it on board il be plunging on!! Back seat this year for me lol. Good luck,it's only a bit of fun remember
Report buddeliea March 3, 2018 6:27 AM GMT
Good post Noc and helpful

This bit makes sense to me personally......

Too much guessing for day 1....first priority will be ground,everyone in the dark,including Claisse ,I would go days 2,3,4

RSA or JLT
STAYERS
GOLD CUP..........all 4 look open betting wise,sensible option.
Report unclepuncle March 3, 2018 8:00 AM GMT
Have to say that in most of the handicaps my choices are near the head of the market so no great value in terms of a plunge horse.

My best long shot would be in the Fred Winter - Esprit De Somoza @ 25/1 nrnb
Report DECALEC March 3, 2018 8:16 AM GMT
Guy's regarding above posts are all races not subject to 48 hrs this year,through it was something happening this festival
Report harry callaghan March 3, 2018 11:40 AM GMT
i have to say i'm not with budd in regards the grade 1's as the markets have been sucked to death all year and no real edge punting them, unless the ground goes very soft
Report harry callaghan March 3, 2018 11:41 AM GMT
when i say no real edge punting them i mean because i always thought the whole purpose of the plunge was to move the market
Report harry callaghan March 3, 2018 11:44 AM GMT
at what point does the plunge normally take place. what date before the day?
Report buddeliea March 3, 2018 11:47 AM GMT
See what you say Harry,just throwing out ideas, and will go with whatever is decided.
Report Meat Loaf March 3, 2018 12:05 PM GMT
Kilcrea Vale 33/1 in the Plate for me.
Report unclepuncle March 3, 2018 1:00 PM GMT
Vision Des Flos in the Supreme @ 33/1 is another outsider I like, especially if it’s really soft, which look possible.
Though if Samcros connections switch targets it might be scuppered.
Report dunlaying March 3, 2018 2:45 PM GMT
Who has been given the dubious privilege of selecting the wretched nag ?
Report PeteTheBloke March 3, 2018 6:18 PM GMT
I'll have my couple of pound on whatever horse is chosen. Of course we want to get a
winner, but if it was easy no one would be here.
Report duffy March 3, 2018 6:35 PM GMT
Rather than picking someone at random,just let people put any arguments they want to make for a horse on this thread with their reasoning, others can then see the case being made and we can then decide who has made the most effort and who is most convincing...simple.
Report The Dragon March 4, 2018 12:05 PM GMT
've not done much antipost this year, can't seem to find any real value in the horses I like, however I could not help but stick a few quid on this White Moon.

He won his first two novice hurdle races this season pretty easily looking potentailly very good in the process. I marked him down as one to keep an eye out for come the spring but then he flopped big time stepped up in class at Sandown. Most will be put off after that run which is fair enough, but Tizzard did have that spell where his horses were poorly.

Anyway, I was reading Tizzard's stable tour in The Weekender today:

He's one of the nicest horses we have. He came here after winning a point-to-point impressively in May and right from the off I thought he looked talented. He won at Wincanton first time up against some nice sorts and then defied his penalty at Exeter three weeks later, but he wasn't right after coming back from Sandown next time and hasn't run since. His work recently has been as god as ever, though, better than almost anything we have in the yard. He'll go straight to Cheltenham for the Ballymore or the Albert Bartlett and he'll make his presence felt.

Better than anything? Quite a statement given who else is in the yard.

Given he is a 3mile ptp horse my hunch is the 3mile race, and I've backed him at 40/1 for that, I have also had a saver at 33/1 NRNB in the Ballymore just in case, though I do think Samcro will scare plenty away from this race.

Bit of a punt but worth it at these prices, he did look very good prior to Sandown.
Report The Dragon March 4, 2018 12:05 PM GMT
the above was posted by another punter some time a go thought it might be of interest?
Report The Dragon March 4, 2018 12:06 PM GMT
it was gi mac
Report illinois_riki March 4, 2018 4:11 PM GMT
Personally I like the look of Roaring Bull (Gigginstown/Elliot) in the M Pipe race. 33/1 a team that know what's required to win this race
Report Quevega06 March 4, 2018 4:29 PM GMT
My contribution is spiritofthegames in the Coral Cup @ 25/1
Report .Fidway. March 4, 2018 5:09 PM GMT
I will pick the horses for a plunge.

Thats settled.

e/w treble

Ultima.....Singlefarmpayment
brown and merriebelle.. Tully East
Grand Annual..Powersbomb

Lets all retire together.

You're welcome.
Report Quevega06 March 4, 2018 5:14 PM GMT
Hope ur right Fidway I've bet all three
Report .Fidway. March 4, 2018 5:19 PM GMT
Just hope they go for the races above.
Report .Fidway. March 4, 2018 5:19 PM GMT
Festival form is what you need. year in year out it works.
Report nocturnal March 4, 2018 5:29 PM GMT
Unless its the Coral Cup

Only 3/16 winners of this race had ran at a previous festival.
Report FOYLESWAR March 4, 2018 6:47 PM GMT
think gi macs take on white moon needs considering ,gi mac is a respected poster who has made a solid case for it  and  the horse is a big price in an open race and looks a decent  each way call given  the trainers comments .have already backed it a few weeks ago on here .and it now has the nrnb insurance .
Report The Dragon March 4, 2018 6:52 PM GMT
yes im on too
Report unclepuncle March 4, 2018 7:11 PM GMT
Good luck Fidway.

I see the plunge has already started on my selection Esprit De Somoza.Wink
Report resner not lesnar March 4, 2018 7:59 PM GMT
Agree about Spiritofthegames for Coral Cup, just not sure he’ll get in yet
Report Quevega06 March 4, 2018 10:27 PM GMT
Resner I don't see no reason why Spirit won't get in. At least 10 above running in Marty Pipr/County Hurdle.
Report resner not lesnar March 4, 2018 10:31 PM GMT
Field size reduced to 26 so needs 20/21 to come out to get in I think. Gonna be close but hope you’re right.
Report Quevega06 March 4, 2018 10:36 PM GMT
Hopefully the Irish not getting put up by the English handicapper alot more will head for the Martin Pipe
Report Quevega06 March 4, 2018 10:37 PM GMT
Last five yrs to get a run was between 134-139 but as you say the field dropping by two could possibly push the rating to the 140 barrier
Report Fistfulofdollars March 5, 2018 4:14 PM GMT
I like spiritofthegames and think he should get in the coral cup - on at 20s. I also like Smaoineamh Alainn 44s/or 40/1 for the County Hurdle.
Report blueton March 5, 2018 4:34 PM GMT
yes just backed it on the back of your thread ,ive backed loads already ..if everyone follows it could be the 2018 plunge mule .....fred winter oxford blu...county moon racer my 2 to shorten
Report Steamship March 5, 2018 10:57 PM GMT
Can I put forward Solo Saxophone generally 25/1 as a story with it being sired by Frankel.
Report The Dragon March 11, 2018 1:12 PM GMT
ttt
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com