Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Paterson92
19 Aug 16 07:58
| Topic/replies: 1,081 | Blogger: Paterson92's blog
Anyone recommend a jumps related book for the forthcoming season?

I bought Paul Ferguson's "Jumpers To Follow" and Mark Howard's "One Jump Ahead" last year. Found them very similar so any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Show More
Report foolsgold123 August 19, 2016 5:50 PM BST
Just read The Sure Thing about Barney Curley on this holiday And read Steve Palmers, Born to Punt the holiday before. Enjoyed them both, both I couldn't really put down.
Report foolsgold123 August 19, 2016 5:51 PM BST
Wrong sort of books your after haha, but definitely recommended!
Report Paterson92 August 19, 2016 7:27 PM BST
Thanks mate, appreciated. I've actually recently bought Barney Curley's book for my holiday coming up soon. Would be rude not to invest in Steve Palmers as well now you've mentioned it!
Report moat August 20, 2016 12:36 PM BST
Absolutely the sure thing a great read
Report rogerthebutler August 22, 2016 3:50 PM BST
John Morris' 'Jumping Prospects' is good
Report jungleboogie October 12, 2016 10:34 AM BST
John Morris & Mark Howard are a very good read.
I bought the Form Book, Jumps Annual 2015/16
anyone else buy this?

Its been a few years since I bought it.
They used to include the full RP analysis of each Cheltenham Festival race, now its just 3/4 lines on it.
Very disappointed with it.
Report PJay October 17, 2016 12:27 PM BST
Mark Howard and John Morris books are good, though John gives too much space to his own opinion and the trainer comments are half babble. eg. "Last year he won at DownPatrick and then went onto a second at Perth. We later ran him at Aintree where he finished 5th and finished at Cheltenham where he finished 2nd". That stuff is just rubbish and worthless but I think he uses it to fill out the book. There is some of it in Mark Howard's book too but not at all to the same extent.

If you are getting just one then the Mark Howard book is the one to go for.
Report Rathgorman82 October 17, 2016 12:34 PM BST
I switched from Howard to Morris this year on the book front although Marks email service is off to a flyer 2 from 2 already.

Morris's prose leaves a lot to be desired, however ultimately it's down to the horses in the book and he's off to a flyer and quids in already. Diamond Rock 12/1 on Saturday the latest winner.
There are far too many horses listed in OJA of Howards, although it's a great read, sifting through it is hard work.
Report PJay October 17, 2016 2:33 PM BST
The trainer comments are the only thing I buy it for, I should have mentioned that.
Report duffy October 27, 2016 5:25 PM BST
Morris visits his trainers personally and therefore can guage their opinions better (glint in the eye and all that) about their horses, he also gives a lot of time to smaller trainers where the real dark ones may be lurking!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com