Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SEATHESTARS....NO1
07 Mar 16 11:57
| Topic/replies: 4,537 | Blogger: SEATHESTARS....NO1's blog
Just now on SL website

Personally think its great news for the sport!!!
Pause Switch to Standard View Pendleton to ride at Cheltenham
Show More
Report charlieptl March 7, 2016 12:01 PM GMT
I think it's great as well. People seem to make different things about it, each to their own, but I am of the opinion that to be a double Olympic gold medallist you have to show extraordinary dedication and commitment. If she is willing to throw as much into racing as she did her Olympic career then fair play to her, this can only be good for the sport.
Report marychain1 March 7, 2016 12:01 PM GMT
Wonder if she'll pick up any spares though? Wink
Report sc1883 March 7, 2016 12:03 PM GMT
Wont be great for the sport if anything bad happens to her or the horse. Imagine the headlines if the horse had a bad fall and had to be put down. Should have waited another 12 months for the PR Stunt!
Report scooby91 March 7, 2016 12:06 PM GMT
With the amount of publicity she has had, I wouldn't be suprised if pacha went of 2nd fav, and be a great laying opportunity.
Report rogerthebutler March 7, 2016 12:45 PM GMT
Hunt it round on the outside in midfield for a circuit and then see where it is
Report Desmond Orchard March 7, 2016 1:57 PM GMT
You make it sound easy Rog! She fell off on the flat LTO, just fell off. The 6/4 to complete looks a bit skinny to me, she won't have been anywhere near a field of this size.
I agree though, the exposure will be great for the sport.
There can be few better qualified to have a go at this than VP, as on paper she has all the right attributes to make a success of being a jockey; balance, strength, fitness, determination, courage etc etc - the fact she is finding it so challenging serves to demonstrate the talent and, particularly, courage of all the Jocks who line up at Cheltenham.
Report Hussard March 7, 2016 3:39 PM GMT
She has ridden in quite a few races and will probably be as experienced in race riding as 25% of the others,

She will be way fitter than any of them and there is utterly no argument against her riding imo.

The moaning faces who don't want her riding have no idea of the incompetence of the other jockeys who they are not commenting on.

She was the most accomplished in her recent win and the jock of the runner up could easily have been closer to try and challenge. They are not pros and she is entitled to take her chance in an amateur rider race,
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 7, 2016 4:12 PM GMT
You make it sound easy Rog! She fell off on the flat LTO, just fell off.

Is that comment related to her latest point to point yesterday or Fakenham where she got bumped into and clearly lost her balance after losing an ironConfused
Report rogerthebutler March 7, 2016 4:43 PM GMT
Those should be her instructions and what she should try to do IMO.

Execution of it? We'll see.
Report Shrews March 7, 2016 5:12 PM GMT
I think her execution of it will be spot on and the only issue with it will be whether the horse is good enough. This is a supreme athlete, proven in the arena of high-profile championship events.  No disrespect to the other jockeys in the race but they aren't professionals and I doubt there will be any in the race who will compare mentally or in fitness to her. Horsemanship maybe, but not championship mentally. Cometh the hour, cometh the (wo)man!

She will be ultra-cool, won't lose composure, will be utterly focused and this will all benefit the horse.  If the horse jumps the fences, stays lucky and is good enough, then expect her to ride the race of her life over the last few furlongs.
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 7, 2016 6:45 PM GMT
Personally as said above it's great shes getting to take her chance, as long as she stays safe, which i expect she will, she will give the sport no end of good publicity! Publicity the sport desperately needs imo!

However, the time to back her (and i am saying this even though i have 33/1 the win and 10/1 she finishes in the first three) was the last day at Wincanton. I just think with a clear round she has a small chance of finishing a distant 3rd 4th or 5th. Winning it is probably asking too much.
Report bankit March 8, 2016 4:21 PM GMT
I'm maybe on my own here, but I find the whole Pendleton drama the biggest yawnfest ever, I don't care whether she does or doesn't ride, and as for it brings great publicity to our sport, well it won't make a jot of difference to my festival whether she does or not. The best racing of the year in 7 days time and we're losing column inches to this total non story
Report Can't Catch Me March 8, 2016 7:28 PM GMT
Good on her. I think it's great for racing, and will be giving each a big cheer on the day. As said by a few, she's already better than plenty who have ridden, and who will ride, in this race.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 8, 2016 7:41 PM GMT
I really don't get this "she is better than plenty who have ridden and who will ride in the race", on what evidence are we coming to this conclusion? Has she not fallen off her horse twice on the flat from a small amount of rides she has had? Her unseat at Fakenham was about as soft an unseat as you'll see and she looked to be on her way out of the saddle even before the minimal contact with the horse beside her mount.
Report wellchief March 8, 2016 7:45 PM GMT
I'm maybe on my own here, but I find the whole Pendleton drama the biggest yawnfest ever, I don't care whether she does or doesn't ride, and as for it brings great publicity to our sport, well it won't make a jot of difference to my festival whether she does or not. The best racing of the year in 7 days time and we're losing column inches to this total non story

Couldn't agree more Bankit.  I genuinely couldn't care less if she was riding in it or not.  All we'll get on the Friday morning is Pendleton this and Pendleton that, instead of buidling up to the races.
Report tomdeane March 8, 2016 9:03 PM GMT
The thing I don't get is why an incredibly high-achieving Olympian sees "getting round" at Cheltenham as a successful outcome. It's a horse race, and on the grandest stage of all - the goal is to win, and if you are not capable enough to go there hoping to win, then what is the point?
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 8, 2016 9:05 PM GMT
Totally disagree!!
The one thing I think we are all guilty of at times is not recognising that us fans of racing those that work in it etc live in a very small bubble and racing needs to attract people from outside of this bubble every now and again.
Like it or not this is a good way to achieve this. How many times a year other than on grand national day do the general public who have more to worry about really get interested in racing? Almost never!
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 8, 2016 9:22 PM GMT
When you think that the vast majority of people's first sport is football if you asked a member of the public who x was they wouldn't have a clue!  I personally cannot stand football, 22 over paid gay ponses on a pitch trying to kick a football about with over paying fans segregated like children but kick off when their team loses and wonder why their segregated, the game makes my skin crawl!! Unless it's the world cup or euros where everyone is your friend.

My first sport is horse racing, my second is rugby union. Go to games, sit next to a opposing fan and get p!ssed together! Together with the atmosphere result!!

What am trying to say is genuine racing fans and staff will stay within their bubble, nothing much else will change, the winners will get celebrated, the unlucky will get commiserated and God forbid any horses that die will be greatly mourned and appreciated!!
If we can get 10% imo that are only interested in the grand national once a year interested in vp then racing has had a result!!

Case closed imo!!
Report bankit March 8, 2016 10:05 PM GMT
Not getting your point here sts, what has getting pissed at rugby and footballers being ponses got do with pendelton at chelts!!??? I don't see how getting 10% of the grand national audience to watch a race at Cheltenham will enhance the festival.
Report bankit March 8, 2016 10:11 PM GMT
No harm to the lass I wish her no malice, racing will get 30secs on the Friday news, instead of being 30 secs on the gold cup, we'll get a fleeting mention of the winner of the blue riband, and the rest on Victoria falling off her horse but she's been so brave blah blah blah
Report loper March 9, 2016 3:42 PM GMT
Anyone who thinks she has as much or more ability and experience of race riding as 25% of the field in the Foxhunters hasn't got the first clue about the game.

There wont be a single other rider in the race that hadn't sat on a horse 12 years ago, let alone 12 months ago like her.

FFS! Where's the head in hands man when you need him?Cry
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2016 3:49 PM GMT
loper. There won't be many riding with her natural sporting prowess though.

There is no doubt in my mind she could get better than alot riding in this race in a fraction of the time. She has also had the very best teaching her... not many can say that.
Report loper March 9, 2016 3:54 PM GMT
FFS, its not like riding a bike.
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2016 3:54 PM GMT
Thats hardly the point is it.
Report loper March 9, 2016 4:11 PM GMT
What!?

Thats exactly the point!
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2016 4:18 PM GMT
The point is that you don't win an Olympic Gold unless you are incredibly driven.... Im not sure sports like cycling or horse riding are that much about natural ability myself. Just hard work and application. Some of the jocks riding in this race do it as a part time hobby. With her full attention, and a year training and practising with the best help out there, I don't think its big stretch to say she can be as good as some riding in this race. Obviously not the majority, some of whom are almost like full time jockeys, but some. Clearly race experience will be her biggest weakness.
Report bankit March 9, 2016 4:38 PM GMT
Ccm, why not just have the Olympic medalists claiming stakes, we could have Bradley Wiggins, Steve Redgrave, Chris hoy..Andy Murray has a medal he could be there as well.... Can just see it now, having a terrible day waiting on Bradley Wiggins to win on the 7/2 jolly, or you don't get to the queens hotel that night... This could be massive, I hope someone from the bha reads this....
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2016 4:43 PM GMT
We are entitled to our opinion bankit. Just don't understand the negative feelings towards her myself. Good on her and hope she does well.
Report loper March 9, 2016 4:58 PM GMT
We are entitled to our opinion bankit. Just don't understand the negative feelings towards her myself. Good on her and hope she does well.

You are entitled to ypur opinion, CCM.

But to say that you dont understand the negative feelings towards her, implies 2 things.

1) That you think its personal. Its not. Her inexperience which is a risk to her, her mount and the rest of the field.

2) (and sorry to be personal to you, CCM, but it is personal this time) you are clearly talking about something of which you have no idea.
Report gutfeeling March 9, 2016 5:02 PM GMT
I think "Ride" is a strong term for what she'll be doing at Cheltenham, May I suggest "Sitting as still as possible while the horse looks after her as best as it can" as a alternative.
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2016 5:06 PM GMT
loper. I'm never arrogant enough to assume I know how much someone on an anonymous form knows about anything tbh.
Report loper March 9, 2016 5:18 PM GMT
The problem is CCM, that no one else would dream of riding in such an epic race with her level of inexperience which could end up in very tragic circumstances.

Betfair, who sponsor this gimmick, (for gimmick is what it is) should be ashamed of them selves for wanting to gain commercial exposure in such a mercenary way. Taking advantage of Pendleton's naive enthusiasm and fame shows you what this company has turned into since their IPO.

And Nicholls' part in this potential fiasco? Well, nothing surprises me there, not since I stood behind him in the TOTE office at Taunton racecourse hearing him shouting 'fall you bastard' at the TV when watching a race from an away meeting.
Report bankit March 9, 2016 5:31 PM GMT
Loper, I've heard that a few times over the years in the bookies, but for the champion trainer to shout that is disgusting. What a loser.
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 9, 2016 5:33 PM GMT
I feel really sorry for you loper and all of the others that think this is a bad idea for racing

Really really sorry

I hope she wins it now, can see it now, oh but wait no, you lot wont come on here with tails between legs will u!

Racing attracts many greedy bar stewards, as does other things that attracts big money to it. Some people just want to keep it all to themselves and gain more and more (the bubble i talk of above) others can see for themselves that racing can only benefit from outside exposure such as this.

Stay within the bubble if you wish, but when it bursts don't cry about it when your that lonely sad old man sat in the bookies playing 20p bets cos the wool was dragged from below you when you were only interested in you! Oh but wait, you wont be cos you're always are against stunts like this racing's popularity waned even more other than grand national day, causing racecourses to go under, shops to close etc etc. Because betting shops isn't only about fobts and football!!
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 9, 2016 5:33 PM GMT
If that makes sense
Report loper March 9, 2016 5:50 PM GMT
If that makes sense Not in the slightest.

I feel really sorry for you loper FFS! pull yourself together.

Racing attracts many greedy bar stewards, as does other things that attracts big money to it. Some people just want to keep it all to themselves What the phuuck???

Stay within the bubble if you wish How can you possibly think this is about anything other than safety? You clearly have no idea regarding the risks involved in this sport.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 9, 2016 5:51 PM GMT
Is Victoria one of these greedy bar stewards? Seen as she is being paid handsomely for this
Report wellchief March 9, 2016 5:52 PM GMT
STS, I think you're well overestimating the impact one ride will by Pendleton will have on Racing.  The fact that Pendlton is riding in an amateur race isn't going to make the masses go out and start watching it.  The Foxhunters might get slightly bigger TV audience but the long term impact will be negligable.

To me it makes it look like racing is a second class sport too, in that someone from another sport (albeit good at another sport) but then suddenly jump into the main arena of another one with hardly any experience, isn't right.

To me, the horses are the stars of racing.  Not the jockeys, owners, trainers etc; yes sometimes you get good news or feel good factor stories, but imo this one gimmacky ride could easily make bigger headlines than if Don Cossack / Cue Card etc won a fantastic renewal of the Gold Cup.

Shouldn't racing be promoting the Cue Card story more?  Been back to the track about 5 times, won when he was like a teenager and in the latter stages of his career, taking on the Irish who are coming at him from all angles, going for the million bonus, his elderly owner has just died so it'd be great for their family - that is much more of a racing story than a cyclist turned jockey for one day.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 9, 2016 5:53 PM GMT
It's insulting to the other amateur jockeys riding in this race that have no doubt been riding horses most of their lives that she is better than some of them when the evidence suggests she will do well to stay aboard the horse
Report bankit March 9, 2016 6:02 PM GMT
spoilt brat wants to ride at Cheltenham festival with 1years experience and gets her wish, joke.
Report rogerthebutler March 9, 2016 6:28 PM GMT
How many of you ride?

Not just go on a hack but to be able to present a horse at a fence, jump a fence at speed and remain balanced in a gallop?

Interested in how long it took you to get to that level?

I don't ride but my daughter does and quick back-of****-packet calculation, it's taken her about 300 hours, i.e 60 days at 5 hours a day.

I reckon Pendleton will have done more than that over the last 12 months, in addition to which she has a grade one horse, the best tutors and an inherent transferable sporting ability, temperament and athleticism.

Other riders may have done more but to say she's a liability doesn't compute.

Good for our sport?

Hard to say. People get into racing for a whole bunch of reasons. Given the demographics of this group we're probably biased towards punting as our gateway, but there's the social aspect, the fashion aspect, the 'horsey aesthetics' for want of a better term and it's hard to see how VP appearing in the Foxhunters addresses any of this.

It'll be news for a day whatever the outcome - and then the world will move on.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 9, 2016 6:36 PM GMT
How come she has come down twice on the flat then Roger and has a really soft unseat at Fakenham when she was coming out of the saddle before true minimal contact with the horse beside.

I am not trying to have a go at her but it's insulting to the other riders with years and years experience the way people are claiming she is better than some of them when quite frankly the evidence of why she has done on the racecourse and point to points suggests otherwise
Report loper March 9, 2016 6:52 PM GMT
Roger,

I don't ride but my daughter does and quick back-of****-packet calculation, it's taken her about 300 hours, i.e 60 days at 5 hours a day.

I reckon Pendleton will have done more than that over the last 12 months, in addition to which she has a grade one horse, the best tutors and an inherent transferable sporting ability, temperament and athleticism.

Not wishing to break the anonymity code on here, but could you please just say where your daughter finished in the Foxhunters? You dont have to name the year.
Report rogerthebutler March 9, 2016 7:45 PM GMT
Well loper that's not the point I was making.

She can, after much less training than VP has had (I imagine), present a horse at a fence and cross it at speed. All I was saying was that VP has had better tuition, more in depth and more focussed on race-riding than that, so she is not the liability she is being made out as.

As to whether that is good enough for the Foxhunters, I'm not qualified to say. Nicholls, Yogi Breisener and Lawney Hill think so. Time will tell.

Whilst we are all entitled to our opinion on this, I am interested in the quality of those opinions based on one's riding ability. Time will tell
Report rogerthebutler March 9, 2016 7:49 PM GMT
To clarify my position.

Now the decision has been made for her to ride I hope she does well (i.e bare minimum gets round safely) for her sake.

I don't think it will make a lick of difference to racing - by the time post-Cheltenham Sunday comes around, she will be forgotten unless she wins it or kills herself.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 9, 2016 7:59 PM GMT
Francombe and Eccles Smith say she is nowhere near ready for to ride in that, those people unlike those you have named have not been employed to get Victoria Pendelton to Cheltenham, I would say they have a more unbiased opinion to be honest
Report loper March 9, 2016 8:04 PM GMT
She can, after much less training than VP has had (I imagine), present a horse at a fence and cross it at speed

Roger,

has your daughter ridden in hunter chases? What is her wins to runs ratio?

Also, how much experience did she have in P t Ps prior to riding under rules?
Report rogerthebutler March 9, 2016 8:06 PM GMT
Equally well though, they do not see her train on a day to day basis.

Again, the decision has been made so why would you not want to wish her well now, even if it's grudgingly? You don't have to applaud and - a wild stab in the dark here - you don't seem like you'll be backing PdP Grin but you've got to hope she gets round safely and doesn't make a fool of herself.

She's surely earned that much?
Report rogerthebutler March 9, 2016 8:07 PM GMT
Sorry loper, this is now getting into one-upmanship and the wilfully obtuse so for that reason, I'm out
Report loper March 9, 2016 8:09 PM GMT
I am praying that she walks away intact, that her mount finishes sound and that none of her opponents suffer interference.

Why would one wish otherwise?

If she wins I will thoroughly enjoy the moment.
Report loper March 9, 2016 8:15 PM GMT
Willfully obtuse? I'm sorry.

I really dont understand.

Have you made up the bit about your daughter jumping fences at speed?
Report Shrews March 9, 2016 8:36 PM GMT
As said earlier, this is not just some Joesphine Bloggs character they've pulled off the street, this is a supremely fit, dedicated, extremely driven, sportswoman of the highest calibre. Come the day, and her ability to cope with a championship atmosphere will shine through. 

Does she have the horsemanship skills to stay on the horse is open for debate, as it would always be given just one years experience in the saddle. But I don't think Nicholls or Pendleton would put their professional status at risk if they thought she was going to be a risk to herself, the other jockey's or indeed the horses.

So if you accept that, then it's not hard to see how her extreme sportsmanship skills on top of the tuition she has received, will be good enough (if the horse is good enough) to succeed in an amateur competition.
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2016 10:20 PM GMT
immpreety sure that nobody on here, not even loper, who has a better crystal ball than most, know how she will do yet.

If she handles the horse well, like she did last time and completes the race, then surely those knocking her will have to admit they were wrong. Similarly, should she make an absolute hash of things and potentially put others at danger, I will say I had it wrong and she wasn't ready.

The amount of time she has been doing it doesn't provide conclusive proof either way.

And as for the fact John Francome thinks it's a bad idea, therefore it must be, that's just plain daft. I have spoken to a few jockeys that are riding today and current trainers and most of them have said they are right behind her and there is no reason why she can't do it. I'm pretty sure they know more than anyone on this thread, even loper.
Report breadnbutter March 9, 2016 11:30 PM GMT
your dissing punters knowledge  and judgment and suggesting you need to have ridden/trained to judge VP  ,thats not correct ,some punters have probably watched as much racing and over a number of years  than all the jocks/trainers  you have asked .
This BS about punters being clueless gets my goat ,some punters know the horses/jockeys inside out ,the truth is sometimes you can be too close to things ,punters knowledge in horse racing is excellent imo ,for too long the game and its gravy trainers have treated them with disdain  ,thats part of the problem ,call this game as it is and you quickly find people jumping out the woodwork to have a go at you ,the "How many winners have you ridden " brigade are the worst shower of sycophants in sport ,thats why the game has so many donuts on the media side ,anyone who tells the truth and treats punters with respect is removed post haste.

Have you looked at the VP specials ,you can have 6/4 for her to finish in the first ten ,how much you having on ? how much would the trainers and jockeys you know have on ,ask them that ...lets see how their opinions hold when it comes to steakin thar hard earned.

I dont think she will be tactically sharp enough due to lack of riding experience,i dont think she will react quick enough to how the race unfolds ,if she is brave enough to sit off the pace and work into contention avoiding traffic probs ect and produce PDP at the correct time and ride a finish i will be shocked stunned and amazed .

Far more important things to worry about at chelt imo than VP and the Foxhunter , i hope VP enjoys it and comes back safe and well ,she is a good talker so no doubt we will hear all about it and the other riders  will be relishing the challenge but anyone who thinks being a dedicated and fit pro athlete will cover the lack of experience required to win at this level is deluded IMO .

Would have done the sport more good if she had actually went out hunting and the media had followed her ,not long after the hunting ban the shysters at the bbc done a poll to find the image that people most associated with the UK and guess what won ? an image of foxhunting ,riders on horseback ,red coats surrounded by hounds .

Used to be that the horses had to actually of been out with a Hunt to qualify  ,think that has changed  as the horses competing are too valuable to be doing that ,actually think the pro yard horses should be penalized at this level and it be left to the permit holders fwiw.

Anyway lets see how things transpire and hope VP can do the sport some good although sometimes i wonder if it deserves it .
Report buddeliea March 10, 2016 7:05 AM GMT
What a cracking post that is.
Really summed up a lot of my thoughts.
Cheers Bread.
Report tomdeane March 10, 2016 9:55 AM GMT
Yeah - very good post.

I absolutely wish her well, but what I've said before, and will say again, is that I don't understand how such a high-achieving sportswoman of her calibre sees "getting round" as an achievement. It's a race, and it's a race on the grandest stage of all, so if she isn't going there with the ability to win, I don't see why she thinks she is ready to go at all.
Report johnoo1 March 10, 2016 10:01 AM GMT
Great post bread. The truth is she would learn more in one day hunting down here with the tipp hounds than in 10 races.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com