Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ACStafford
11 Feb 16 23:06
| Topic/replies: 1,078 | Blogger: ACStafford's blog
The fact that breathing operations do not need to be declared is getting some publicity currently. I'm sure most people agree that this information is important to punters, especially given some high profile success stories this season. I don't know if there's someone out there compiling lists of horses that are known to have had operations, but on the assumption that there isn't yet, I thought I'd start a thread for forumites to add to when they hear of a case (with a link if possible) in the run up to Cheltenham where the trainer is good enough to let us know.

I'll start with Peace & Co.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/10162103/peace-and-co-on-target-for-champion-hurdle-despite-breathing-op
Pause Switch to Standard View Breathing Ops
Show More
Report joevalue147 February 11, 2016 11:26 PM GMT
Great idea. Fair play.
Report deakers February 12, 2016 1:48 AM GMT
I've got one for tomorrow.
Kempton 1.35
Ballyhenry
Ben Pauling in a recent stable tour, "He has had a wind operation since Newbury - he made a bit of a noise there in that very heavy ground - he will be coming back for a couple of novice runs early March before going out to grass."
Report Cash Is King February 12, 2016 10:08 AM GMT
Twelve Roses (Kim Bailey) should be added to the list. Bailey trained Darna to win at the 2015 Festival and Darna had had a wind operation prior to that win.
Report rogerthebutler February 12, 2016 10:23 AM GMT
I e-mailed Kim about the plans for Twelve Roses (he's one of the most open and straightforward people in the business) and he told me the horse is fine and waiting on better ground.
Report Cash Is King February 12, 2016 10:28 AM GMT
Rogerthebutler - If you ask him nicely I'm sure he'll also tell you that Twelve Roses has had a minor breathing op.
Report maelduin February 12, 2016 11:37 AM GMT
There should be procedural out there where any vet that performs a breathing op must log it with the BHA of whomever. Just a simple online database where the vet logs in and enters the info about the horse.

Also they need to enforce the rule where the trainer has the notify the stewards after a horse has bled. Sometimes they don't get a scope immediately and only find out after their own vet check him.
Report Cash Is King February 12, 2016 11:54 AM GMT
maelduin - I think it's safe to assume that there have been many occasions where a horse has bled but connections, acting in their own best interests, have not disclosed the fact prior to moving the horse on elsewhere.
Report maelduin February 12, 2016 12:11 PM GMT
^^ Happens way too often i'd say.

I'm not familiar but surely the on track vet has to file some sort of paperwork with the racecourse accounting for scopes etc... The idea of putting the onus on the trainer to notify the stewards of any bleeding is not good for us punters. Horse racing will never be fully transparent unfortunately.
Report Cash Is King February 12, 2016 12:51 PM GMT
If the horse has finished out of the places it's quite a straightforward matter to wipe blood and mucus away and avoid the attentions of the vet.
Report ACStafford February 12, 2016 1:44 PM GMT
Fair play Deakers. I had a little interest on that thanks to your info. Very well backed too.
Report deakers February 12, 2016 2:21 PM GMT
You're very welcome AC. I've got a few "Wind Op" horses in my tracker. When I get some time next week I'll put them up here. Not sure how many will go to the Festival but the more we all know the better. (None are running this weekend)
Report Cash Is King February 13, 2016 8:11 AM GMT
Add Saphir Du Rheu to, what is at present, a very short list. Had a wind operation after disappointing in the Long Walk Hurdle.
Report Desmond Orchard February 14, 2016 9:25 AM GMT
Bit late I know, but Starchitect had had one ahead of yesterday's big handicap.
Put in a much improved showing
Report maelduin February 14, 2016 11:33 AM GMT
The Game Changer (Gordon Elliot mentioned it on a recent podcast).
Report Cash Is King February 14, 2016 4:58 PM GMT
This topic was discussed half an hour into ATR's "Sunday Forum" earlier today. Everyone on the panel in agreement that this information needs to be disclosed to the public.
Report ACStafford February 14, 2016 6:45 PM GMT
There's an article in the Post today about Next Sensation, which says he's had a breathing op since his last run.
Report deakers February 16, 2016 3:49 AM GMT
My current list, these come from various stable tours eg. ATR, The weekender etc.
Ballybough Pat
Crickel Wood
Cucklington - Entered Fontwell, 18/2
Flementime
Midnight Gem - Had one run since and disappointed
Miss Estela - Entered Market Rasen 21/2
Nightline - Entered Ascot 20/2
Set The Trend
Tiger Roll
Tjongejonge
Tycoon Prince
Not sure many, if any of these will run at the Festival but maybe a couple will cop before to add to your bank.
Report Joist February 16, 2016 8:02 AM GMT
Great info, appreciate the post deakers.
Report Cash Is King February 16, 2016 10:58 AM GMT
D Pipe confirmed that Dynaste has had a wind operation since disappointing in the Long Walk Hurdle.
Report Leonardo February 16, 2016 5:47 PM GMT
O'Faolains Boy has had his breathing done according to R Curtis at Grand National weights lunch.Still goes Gold Cup
Report deakers February 16, 2016 9:10 PM GMT
You're welcome Joist
Report deakers February 16, 2016 9:17 PM GMT
Sue Smith

Blakemount - He just had a small wind operation which is why he hasn't been out. He is about ready to roll now there is a possibility I might give him a run over hurdles at Carlisle next meeting then he will be back chasing
Report ACStafford February 16, 2016 10:19 PM GMT
Excellent list dealers. Nice work and good of you to share it with us.
Report ACStafford February 19, 2016 11:20 PM GMT
It states in the RP verdict for the Ascot Betfair Chase that Silvinaco Conti has had a minor breathing op since his King George no-show.
Report ACStafford February 26, 2016 11:25 PM GMT
In his column today, Nicholls says that Arpege D'Alene has had an op.
Report opatcho February 27, 2016 10:19 PM GMT
.... Arpege D'Alene won today! Crazy
Report ACStafford February 28, 2016 11:39 AM GMT
Yep, finishing out the race very strongly. The ops work wonders.
Report ACStafford March 3, 2016 5:22 PM GMT
The Game Changer has had an op since his last run.
Report ACStafford March 3, 2016 5:22 PM GMT
The Game Changer has had an op since his last run.
Report ReaseHeath March 6, 2016 5:41 PM GMT
Carole's Destrier - off the back of a win in the London National and on his way to the Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase at the Fez.
Report Cash Is King March 9, 2016 1:18 PM GMT
Aurore D'Estruval (entered in Mares hurdle) has had a wind operation since her last run.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com