Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Orsoncart
25 Apr 15 23:31
| Topic/replies: 962 | Blogger: Orsoncart's blog
i'll go with the majority and basically all with a run.

Choose from:

In no particular order

Coneygree.
Djakadam
Road to riches
Vroum Vroum mag apologies if spelling is wrong
Silviniaco conti
Don poli
Vautour
Holywell
Not ignoring the others one vote each assuming ground is ahem good to soft

My vote is with Vautour personally think that Don Poli will be kept for elsewhere, first one to ten votes wins and can be the early festival plunge horse.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 15  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 15 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 564
By:
Paterson92
When: 26 Apr 15 09:02
Wouldn't have thought Vroum Vroum Mag would be mentioned in the same breath as Gold Cup but hey ho. Far too early to decide at this stage. Does Vautour stay 3 miles plus? Time will tell, I think it won't be an issue. Coneygree will be bang there again. Would be surprised if Djakadam and Road To Riches weren't runners again next year but I have doubts about them both, unsure why. Silviniaco Conti won't see another Gold Cup. Holywell could line up again but may be campaigned towards The National rather than Gold Cup. Don Poli stays all day long but he is one lazy lazy horse, unsure if he would be suited by the race with the likes of Coneygree setting an electric pace up front. I still reckon he will run though. One you've not mentioned on the list is Saphir Du Rheu. Not my idea of the winner but Nicholls is adamant he's a Gold Cup horse. Either way, it will be the best Gold Cup in years, can't wait!
By:
Orsoncart
When: 26 Apr 15 11:51
Paterson all valid points except Willie Mullins mentioned live on channel 4 after Vautours win in 2014 that he was being aimed at the Gold Cup in the future, and in subsequent forums this year,stamina is not an issue it's a brute of a horse, watch the 2015 JLT again you will see what I mean not touched once after the last, Ruby was nursing him big time, it's all about opinions and I totally agree about Coneygree I backed it five minutes after the gold cup for 2016 tenner at 10s, let's just hope they all turn up fit and well.

If so it will be the best gold cup for five or so years.
By:
GAZO
When: 26 Apr 15 12:14
vautour wont run wont stay,cant see what else don poli could be kept for so must be a player and the first three from this years gold cup must also be in with a big chance if the race has not left its mark,don ploi for me
By:
.Fidway.
When: 26 Apr 15 12:44
in a word

Don Poli
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 26 Apr 15 16:26
Coneygree for me…………..what else does he need to do to prove himself over C&D !
By:
Tucho
When: 26 Apr 15 20:47
If I could own one of those horses it'd be Vautour, no contest. Just a beautiful animal who has so many options open to him. Willie ranked him higher than Faugheen when they were both novice hurdlers, and if he does get 3 miles the sky is the limit really as he's only 6.

You're asking me to back one of them right now for next year's gold cup though, and for that it has got to be Don Poli. Winning the RSA with so little experience and no prep is not supposed to be that easy. He's devoured the hill in his 2 trips to the course. He looks a safe jumper, he makes up lengths at his fences, he doesn't pull, he doesn't get worked up.

I remember watching Katie Walsh in a preview night, desperately hoping Coneygree would run in the RSA. "The faster they go up front, the further Don Poli will win!" she said. I see what she means. She's a year too early, and it'll happen in the Gold Cup next year instead.
By:
brandyontherocks
When: 26 Apr 15 22:37
That's two words Fidway!!
By:
Eeternaloptimist
When: 26 Apr 15 23:34
Isn't this why we love this game? Here's praying as many of them as is possible get there in one piece. I think the ground may be a big factor. I'd have been inclined to say Djakadaam on soft ground but I'd have wanted this 6 year old to have had a good summer at grass starting immediately after the Gold Cup as Coneygree is going to get and not to appear before the new year with the big one as his second run back. The fact he's entered and they go to the well again at Punchestown strikes me as greedy and not designed to bring him to the big one in perfect shape. You'd have thought that The Bald Eagle would have put his foot down there as this has to be the prize he most wants. Sure they have Vautour but Djakadaam has been there and very nearly done it this year as a six year old.
By:
wellchief
When: 12 Nov 15 17:34
Good run from Road to Riches today.  Expected to win at odds on, but good to see him in the winners enclosure again.

I think he has been underestimated a bit for this years Gold Cup when ground went against him last year.

I'm on at big odds on here, but the Ryanair would be a worry for me at the moment with Giggi having the Dons for the Gold Cup, but hopefully Noel Meade will get his way and put him back up to 3m.
By:
ACStafford
When: 12 Nov 15 23:21
This has the potential to be the best Gold Cup in living memory, which is quite a change for 12 months ago, when the antepost picture looked dire. I strongly rate many of those horses, especially Vautour, but, if I was going to pick now, I'd have to go for last season's winner CONEYGREE.
By:
buddeliea
When: 13 Nov 15 07:08
Going a major factor.
Any soft in the description.......Coneygree
Good ground.......Holywell

Mind you there are about 6 others that could win!!!
By:
duffy
When: 13 Nov 15 15:15
Saphir Du Rheu as shocking omishionGrin
By:
shockster
When: 19 Nov 15 13:18
Good to see Sir Des Champs back on the track winning. Shocked
By:
buddeliea
When: 19 Nov 15 17:48
yep,good to see him back,although quiet what that has to do with next years gold cup is beyond me.
No chance,as I suspect you know Shock.
By:
wellchief
When: 19 Nov 15 20:34
Sir Des Champs could be a lively outsider for the Ryanair.  In Bobs Worth's good ground Gold Cup, he struggled to get home, and in a hot Gold Cup like this year, you couldn't have him - especially with the stable having the Dons and RTR.

SDC's Jewson was a pretty weak race looking back on it now, but he has proved he can go over 2.5m at Cheltenham, and I think he'd have a much better chance in a Ryanair.
By:
buddeliea
When: 19 Nov 15 21:05
Think he would at least have some chance in a Ryanair,as he stays that distance well,but I think because of the Gold cup being so strong,the Ryanair will be as well.
By:
shockster
When: 20 Nov 15 09:06
You're right Budd I don't think SDC will win The Gold Cup after 2 years off and such strong opposition.  However, I do think he could make a brilliant Gold Cup even better if he can back this up in a better race. I acknowledge catching Rubi Light and catching Coneygree are two completely different scenarios. Glad he's back and hope he stays sound more importantly.
By:
racingguru
When: 20 Nov 15 11:29
Am I going mad here but none of you have mentioned Don Cossack - the highest rated of them all!
By:
timtin
When: 20 Nov 15 11:59
I've made his case in Don's own thread, didn't want to repeat the same thing here, he's the one they all have to beat.

Its like on the pre-race analysis, it was one last week on RUK with 3 runners, they spent 10 minutes talking about the 2 short priced favs and no word of the outsider who eventually won.
By:
shockster
When: 20 Nov 15 13:08
Haha good spot Racingguru.  I suppose he is worth considering.  Cracking renewal if all goes to plan.
By:
buddeliea
When: 20 Nov 15 16:48
Don Cossack got his rating on end of season form and whilst he's obviously a good horse and a threat to all,I prefer Coneygree who got his rating when he raced against horses primed for Cheltenham.
Personally think Coneygree should be rated higher,he sets the standard for me and is the one to beat in my view.
By:
wellchief
When: 20 Nov 15 17:49
An on song Cue Card is no back number either.  Wasn't right at all last year, so ignoring his runs against Don Cossack; just look at Sprinter after his dodgy year.

Cue Card still needs to prove he can move on from his Charlie Hall performande, so really needs to win tomorrow, but if he does, against a benchmark like Conti, Cue Card has to firmly enter the Gold Cup each way thinking imo.  If he loses tomorrow, then dream over I'm afraid.
By:
GAZO
When: 20 Nov 15 17:55
the gold cup is a brutal race,just dont see cue card staying and have doubts about vautour and don cossack also,don poli could be the one because it looks like thats the only race he is being trained for
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 20 Nov 15 18:07
Agree with GAZO. Don Poli for me. Placed my bet the day after I was lucky enough to see him win the RSA. Went home next day a little fuzzy in the brain to watch it on SKY+to check if what I saw on the day was as impressive as I thought. Answer was a categoric yes. Don Poli looks a classic Gold Cup winner to me. Happy to admit/accept I wasn't expecting such a great performance from Coneygree when placed Don Poli bet but winning back to back Gold Cups is very very hard. Can't have Don Cossack at all. Too many failures at Cheltenham plus I think, like bud below, he gained his rating in end of season races after he failed again when it matters most at Cheltenham.  Vautour not guaranteed to get the trip. Don Poli v Coneygree for me and just thick Don Poli looks every inch a Gold Cup winning "boat". Money down. GrinGrin
By:
buddeliea
When: 20 Nov 15 20:51
Must admit I can't make my mind up as re Don Poli.
Is he a real dour stayer or has he got the speed to win a Gold Cup as well as his staying power.
Can't help feeling he may just get a bit too far behind a front runner like Coneygre,but then again if he can lay up not too far behind he's a major threat at the business end.

He' would be a fairly confident place horse for me.
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 20 Nov 15 21:28
I think he does what he needs to do. Not sure who will jock up. From what I have seen and read I think Cooper will stick with Don C. I am hoping he will regret that decision !!! But as long as he is kept in touch then I can definitely see him powering up that hill to nail Coneygree between last fence and post. Forever the Dreamer!!!!!
By:
delsie777
When: 20 Nov 15 22:15
If Cooper goes for Cossack, you could get Paul Townend on Don Poli - right result that!
By:
barnesey
When: 21 Nov 15 01:00
I don't want to take anything away from what coneygree did last season excellent in novice races and then stepping up out of novice company to take the blue riband, he was underestimated by me I didn't think he was good enough and was balls deep on djackadam having backed him at 120's all the way down to 10's...... Ouch
So now onto the 2016 gold cup can coneygree do it again? Well of course he can but he's still not for me. Last year the ground on the day was ideal for him I very much doubt he will be anywhere as good on what we would call a normal ground gold cup ie good or good good/soft in places. But he may get his ground again so still in with a chance. On to his potential opponents I loved djackadam last year and road to riches is certainly no mug but to be 2 and 3 lengths in front of them is questionable to be jaw dropping stuff, the 2 who I can't see past are vautour and Don Cossack obviously I know vautour has to prove he stays but when he does I can't believe he's not 2 lengths better then djackadam and Don Cossack who was desperate in the Ryanair last year I've watched it a couple of times recently and have no doubt he would of won, he then took my breath away at punchestown where I didn't even think he jumped as well as he could be powered away from the gold cup 2nd and 3rd bating them a lot more handsomely then coneygree. I've heard people say end of season and horses over the top but it was still a wow performance for me and he is my main play so far...........
By:
barnesey
When: 21 Nov 15 01:03
*bating = beating*
By:
eric_morris
When: 21 Nov 15 01:43
This is an easy race to judge.
By:
buddeliea
When: 21 Nov 15 07:00
Yeh I was on RTR and Dkack at big prices and was pretty gutted that Coneygree did that!!
Those three hopefully turn up again along with Holywell who ran a blinder on ground too soft to be at his best.
Those 4 are the standard that DP,DC and Vautour have to be at come March.
For me they all have doubts........Vautour staying well enough, DC and Cheltenham and possible rated too high? DP being quick enough.
Fascinating to say the least.

With regards end of season form,it's my feeling and always has been to be wary of taking it too literal.
I don't expect all to agree though,and DC could turn out best of the lot.
It's just so exciting the Gold Cup picture,and I suspect we are in for a treat this season with this lot,as their are gonna be other races where some of them meet up.
Cannot bl00dy wait!!!
By:
shockster
When: 21 Nov 15 17:46
Add Cue Card to the equation.  Write off at your peril.  Looked very good today beating S.Conti easily.
By:
timtin
When: 21 Nov 15 17:56
more of a KG candidate, don't think he'll stay the GC trip behind an `Coneygree` demanding stamina test.
By:
shockster
When: 21 Nov 15 18:08
Coneygree's my favourite but Cue Card paggered Conti over 3m today and had plenty left.  I'd say previously I had doubts about his stamina, but I think he'll stay alright now.  Whether he's good enough against the new kids is a different question, but that was superb today.
By:
racingguru
When: 21 Nov 15 23:18
Epic race on if they or the majority turn up. One for the ages, just hope it turns out as good as it is on paper.
By:
buddeliea
When: 21 Nov 15 23:36
Conti got mullered in the gold cup,he's not really a yardstick.
Cue card was impressive but he's behind the main ones in my view.
This lot we have now are a totally different proposition.
By:
wellchief
When: 22 Nov 15 16:33
Cue Card has to be bang in contention now. I don't see staying as an issue, and although Conti is not a Gold Cup yardstick, he is an excellent 3m chasing benchmark at Haydock.

Fantastic performance from Cue Card, wish I'd taken the 20's straight after the race yesterday. I can see him being one of the last off the bridle in the Gold Cup.
By:
shockster
When: 22 Nov 15 20:29
I agree Wellchief.  We'll know more when he meets the new brigade, but yesterday was a big step up on Wetherby and he has to be a major contender.
By:
jasey
When: 22 Nov 15 22:58
Thrashing Conti aint nothing special, he wont even run in the Gold Cup.Cue Card is a clasy horse but if one the second season chasers can't beat him i would be dissapointed.
Page 1 of 15  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 15 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com