Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
madman9
06 Mar 15 16:25
| Topic/replies: 607 | Blogger: madman9's blog
Joy - Quevega last year-ears pinned back trying for all she was worth so gutsy, and getting up, I wanted to marry her !
        didnt win a lot of money, but it took my breath away

Sadness- AP in THAT gold cup sitting on the ground crying when his horse lay dying - I think he would have won
Pause Switch to Standard View cheltenham moments that made you cry ?
Show More
Report inchcailoch March 6, 2015 7:57 PM GMT
Maljimar getting chinned I'm still crying
Report Big_Issue March 6, 2015 8:00 PM GMT
Selling a spare Paddock ticket I had for about 40% face value to the scally touts outside.....
Report Howdi March 6, 2015 8:08 PM GMT
bOF ROLL COMING FLYING OVER TO MY CUBICLE IN bEST mATE ENCLOSURE.
Report Howdi March 6, 2015 8:08 PM GMT
^^ Bog Roll
Report windsor knot March 6, 2015 8:16 PM GMT
last year . our conor .
Report bigben March 6, 2015 8:17 PM GMT
Have to agree with Maljimar! Well Chief falling early in The Champion Chase, I'd backed Massinis Maguire at 33/1 a couple of races earlier and I couldn't see WC getting beat so I lumped on Cry
Report bigben March 6, 2015 8:22 PM GMT
Being there when JP McNamara had his fall was not nice either.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 6, 2015 9:07 PM GMT
Inglis Drever's 3rd win, i was next to a guy i didnt know and we were hugging Plain
Report Makybe_Diva March 6, 2015 9:23 PM GMT
Aww, Sonko, that's lovely Love
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 6, 2015 9:23 PM GMT
Just uploading the bad picture of Drever crossing the line.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 6, 2015 10:23 PM GMT
As long as I follow the sport there will never be anything to compare to the sense of desolation when Valiramix came down in the Champion Hurdle and lost his life. The money comes and goes but when a special one dies it's painful.
Report giggsy3444 March 6, 2015 10:56 PM GMT
If Sprinter Sacre wins next week I think I will shed a wee tear. Ok I will have won a few quid but to see him come back and take back his crown after all the doubters have made countless negative comments about him would just make me so happy and proud of him that he proved them all wrong. I very rarely get emotional about racing but I would find it hard to fight back the tears. I'm sure Barry Geraghty and definitely Nicky Henderson would be the same. I know some people on here will do likewise and people on here who have wrote negative things about him will even say "fair play to him!!"
Report TheCollector March 7, 2015 12:04 AM GMT
Hen Knight and Terry Biddlecombe embracing after the great Best Mate's 3rd Gold Cup
Report onehundredandeighty March 7, 2015 6:37 AM GMT
When club tickets went up to 75 quid Cry
Report Orsoncart March 7, 2015 7:30 AM GMT
On a serious note probably when Dickinson had the first five in the gold cup ( I backed the fourth) but it was more for the reception afterwards from the stands as everyone was applauding and cheering even though most would have lost on the race.

From a financial point of view probably when whiskey go go let me down for the placepot, walking back from the course I was quite philosophical as I expected it to pay about 300 notes, later that evening a friend who knew that I had been close to getting it up phoned and informed me that it had paid about 2300 ( and I had it twice, and possibly would have been a bit more as mine was longer priced than one in the frame) it was not so much about the money which would have been nice, but more for the apocalyptic night we would have had in town afterwards. ExcitedCry
Report Orsoncart March 7, 2015 7:32 AM GMT
Sorry it was in the bumper the last race, everyone has had near misses in the placepot being one out in the second race etc.
Report THE LEGEND March 7, 2015 7:33 AM GMT
The Bumper.....When a Rhinestone Cowboy got beat by Pizzarro .....probably the longest Stewards enquiry I can remember ... To this day I still think Pizzarro should have been disqualified...! Ouch that hurt my biggest get of the year chinned!
Report Orsoncart March 7, 2015 7:41 AM GMT
The bumper Cry don't remember ever having the winner, close with alzulu @ 25/1 didn't back cheltenian as I'd had a **** day, haven't even watched it for about the last 5 years just go back to the pub and have a pint in peace and quiet, there now two of us who don't bother watching it any more. The year that mickle meg won it I genuinely felt I was the only person on the course not cheering it home.
Report Orsoncart March 7, 2015 7:41 AM GMT
Sh1te
Report sc1883 March 7, 2015 8:22 AM GMT
The one & only time - Best Mate's 3rd gold cup. Hen & Terry what top people! Like already mentioned above if Sprinter Sacre wins on Wednesday it really will be water works :)
Report sageform March 7, 2015 8:52 AM GMT
Mysilv getting chinned by Cyborgo in the World Hurdle. it cost me money but much more in emotion. She tried her heart out and was beaten about an inch.
Report TheCollector March 7, 2015 10:10 AM GMT
That bird falling off Oscar Delta at 33-1 when I was bang in front of the fence and holding a 50 ew voucher CryCryCryCry
Report FCH March 7, 2015 10:34 AM GMT
There have been a few occasions over the years, but the three that spring to mind are Dawn Run and Desert Orchid's Gold Cups and One Man winning the Champion Chase.  For the former I just hugged the guy next to me - it was just one of those occasions where the whole crowd just erupted with unbridled joy.

One the betting front it was when Trabolgan just got beat in the bumper by Liberman.  I had a few quid on the Tote.  I don't know what Trabolgan's dividend would have been, but just a few minutes before the off he was over 200/1.
Report giggsy3444 March 7, 2015 10:35 AM GMT
Agree with Mysilv losing out to Cyborgo in Stayers. 1 of my favourite horses!
Report farcry March 7, 2015 5:14 PM GMT
Gloria Victus - with AP onboard, not sure of the year? sad end - some jumper that young falla.
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK March 7, 2015 6:28 PM GMT
I don't know about crying itself (maybe with joy)
But watching my mate win few bags of sand
When Rooster Booster **** up for him 40-1
Than straight after I had my best moment when
Yourneverwalkalone won 12/1 ante post
Had great double with rooster that morning too, i told the world to back them too
Both in pub that afternoon he had his bags ready going to Cheltenham
That evening, I joined him Wednesday evening in Bristol
Had great night on the piss
Than next day watched the great Baracouda and BEST MATE win
3 day meeting can't beat it imo
Report foolsgold123 March 7, 2015 7:29 PM GMT
Barizan made me cry getting picked up on the line. Had a a lumpy e/w bet @ 40/1. Never forget that race dunno if to laugh or cry.
Report the bloob March 7, 2015 7:55 PM GMT
I backed Merchants Friend a few years ago at 33/1, led comfortably over the last then it started treading water on the run-in and got collared on the line. It would have maybe been before in-running was invented but that was surely a massive 1.01 loser
Report gazovic March 7, 2015 8:43 PM GMT
best mate getting up the 3rd time was magic. seemed to happen in slow motion and very few folk seemed to want any other outcome

oddly I recall little Katchit battling through the terrible ground that year as rather nice
Report gazovic March 7, 2015 8:43 PM GMT
(not suggesting it was the same year)
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 7, 2015 8:57 PM GMT

the only time i have been in the best mate enclosure too, shame i didnt have zoom lense.
Report penzance March 7, 2015 10:42 PM GMT
gutted when Ten Plus fell in the Gold Cup.
Thought he was ok when he galloped away.
Report attitude adjuster March 8, 2015 1:49 AM GMT
Maybe not tears but the best Cheltenham moment i've ever experienced there was when Moscow Flyer won his first? Champion Chase

He went off a red hot 7/4 jolly..

We all knew he was a flawed genius,that's why we loved him..... but as he approached that fearsome(now modified) second last fence,he had a horse on either side off him
They all jumped in unison and two out of the three horses fell..but not Moscow!!

The place went bezerk until he approached the last in splendid isolation and it went quiet
I was in the county stand and we all seemed to be holding onto each other,holding our breath until he cleared the last

and the place just went absolutely mad Happy
Report SportsDen March 8, 2015 5:01 AM GMT
Didn't cry but was gutted when Ten Plus fell at the 3rd last in Dessie's Gold Cup. I'm convinced to this day, maybe wrongly, that if TP had stood up it would've have won. Sadly the horse broke a leg as a result of the fall.
Report robbierobot March 8, 2015 6:22 PM GMT
devastated when teeton mill pulled up in gold cup had 50 treble katarino triumph hurdle 13/2,istabraq 2/1, teeton mill at 5/1 all my mates thought it was hilarious when it pulled up.i still think to this day it would have won itCry
Report sageform March 8, 2015 7:55 PM GMT
I also remember Ten Plus. I was standing at the last fence as Dessie and the runner up approached it in slow motion and Dessie just slogged it out. As I turned round to see what else was still coming, I saw a loose horse standing behind the last hanging a leg. Horrible sight.
Report casual March 8, 2015 8:05 PM GMT
valiramix very sad- but also when long run won the gold cup with the knowledge that when he overtook Denman and Kauto Star on the bend that those two old warriors had reached the peak of their powers and we would not see them battle each other again
Report marychain1 March 8, 2015 8:13 PM GMT
Hardy Eustace winning his second Champion Hurdle and third festival race when Harchibald was cantering all over him but he just eyeballed that one, stuck his neck out and found more.

"And he still hasn't said 'go' on Harchibald. He's laughing at his rivals. But Hardy Eustace finds more...and he wins again"
Report willz March 8, 2015 8:53 PM GMT
Wanting to take on Carvills Hill in Gold Cup and narrowing it down to Cool Ground and previous winner Nortons Coin. Suffice to say i backed Nortons coin and hat to sit and suffer watching Cool Ground nab The Fellow up the famous Cheltenham Hill @ 25/1
Report kingkong March 8, 2015 11:09 PM GMT
When celestial halo got collared by punjabi in the champion hurdle. It costed me a five figure payout having had 3 other winners
Report Steamship March 8, 2015 11:22 PM GMT
A lot of us remember the Ten Plus incident a mixture of elation then tragedy that mixes with this sport. Any death of a horse spoils a day but I certainly was put off the Tuesdy last year after Our Conor dying.

On a happier note Malcolm Jefferson's emotion after his 2 horses winning in 2012. Best Mate all 3 Gold Cups.
Report dermo79 March 9, 2015 10:04 AM GMT
tears of joy --> Moscow Flyers second champion chase, what a horse
tears of sadness --> Our Conor last yr, brutal when a young horse with such huge potential meets his end
Report Pilsudski March 9, 2015 12:40 PM GMT
Inglis Drever.
Report judorick March 9, 2015 5:40 PM GMT
valiramix CryCryCry

12 years later still get a lump in the throat

was in the Martin Pipe Racing Club marquee, was awful

poor owner Mr Jewell was 93 years old, poor sod
Report judorick March 9, 2015 5:41 PM GMT
13 years can't count
Report Makybe_Diva March 9, 2015 7:34 PM GMT
Gloria Victis losing his life was my saddest Cheltenham moment. Closely followed by Valiramix. Wasn't he owned by Jim Weedon?

Lots of happy moments that have made me cry. The most memorable must be Inglis Drever's third World Hurdle.
Report ETID March 9, 2015 8:17 PM GMT
When Ruby got time for rupert beat and let me down for some major life changing sum of money. Never forgiven him!
Report ShannonSpray March 9, 2015 10:51 PM GMT
Dorans Pride falling in the Foxhunters, breaking a leg and having to be put down. He came out of retirement for the race as he didn't adapt to his well earned life of leisure in the paddocks. He died with his horse shoes on.
Report punkha1 March 10, 2015 12:38 AM GMT
Never forget 1999 when Istrabraq was really short think was 2/5 my local indo was doing a special Evens him when in a double or treble.
Really fancied him obviously & was a big fan of Barton (2/1 ish) but got told by a mate that had connections in O'Brien's that their new import Le Coudray who was around 3/1 was a monster and wouldn't be beaten.
Got a bit carried away and every payday or when I backed a winner in the weeks before id have 30 or 40 on the treble ended up with 315 I think on it which was a fortune to me in those days.
Never forget after the first two bolting up Charlie Swan arriving cruising but somewhere from nowhere Anzum a rank outsider arriving and literally nailed him on the line.
Took me days to get over it and even now thinking about it I still get that sick feeling in my stomach.
Report Makybe_Diva March 10, 2015 2:32 PM GMT
Kauto Star, Denman, Master Minded and Big Buck's together on Cleeve Hill Love
Report Kelly March 10, 2015 4:24 PM GMT
Reckon Annies last hurdle fall will have generated some tears .  Tears of joy from the bookies , they must have been heading for the exits just before she crashed out .
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 4:58 PM GMT
punka

That was one of the tears of joy times for me. I was on at 33-1 ante post for Anzum and thought he was a good thing if it came up soft but the closer it got and the closer to good it got the less confident I was. I certainly rode a finish from the top of the hill with Johnson that day as I knew all he did was stay. Being there made it even more special and I think I was the only one in a crowd of about 2000 to the right of the main stand screaming my lungs out all the way up the straight.
Report sageform March 10, 2015 8:44 PM GMT
I didn't cry but it was sad to see the ease with which Irish horses hoovered up 90% of the prize money today. The established English trainers are in total disarray. It took one of the rising stars in Neil Mulholland to gain a solitary win for the home team. (I don't count the Welsh winner in the last) To rub salt in the wound, all seven were ridden b yIrish based jockeys.
Report sewter lives again March 10, 2015 9:07 PM GMT
punkha 1

I remember that day too

I backed Anzum e/w at 40s and Go Ballistic e/w at 100/1 in the Gold Cup.

I had those 2 with a Henderson horse that won at 10/1 and Forestal unplaced in an e/w yankee

Had a great win but I can still remember Dobbin cruising along to 2 out and still cant believe that See More Business gets up to win-what could have been.
Report thornton reed March 14, 2015 10:21 AM GMT
Have to confess I was in tears when Coneygree won yesterday.

One of the bravest wins I've ever seen and a victory for the small guys.

What a week! It's an absolute privilege to be a fan of this sport.
Report onehundredandeighty March 14, 2015 11:12 AM GMT
Being asked for £85 for a club badge

its a ******* disgrace and as much as i love going they (The touts and the course) can get fecked now

best meeting in the world for me but i can get return flights to dublin and then some for that

Report Arklearkle March 17, 2015 9:56 PM GMT
I now know that no racing result could make me cry - I know since last Tuesday when Annie hit the deck. It sure costa lotta.
Report paulo47 March 23, 2015 6:41 PM GMT
Just watched it again 1980 Triumph hurdle , city boy standing on bench on grass having had £1000 to £30
Starfen (dont bet that now ) , 3 lengths clear at the last , did an Annie Power , remember screaming four letter word beginning with C . Only consolation was getting back to Catford dogs , over the bridge at the back and in for free for last two races and had the Catella off with last few quid = £76 , paid for a Lewisham curry , happy days .
Report deepingfox March 24, 2015 9:48 PM GMT
ARAN CONCERTO blowing out when looking a Novice Hurdle monster on the way to the Festival.

SIZING EUROPE's turning from romping home two out in the Champion Hurdle, to virtually pulling up after that flight of hurdles.

OUR CONOR winning the Triumph Hurdle by cruising away at the front, and just continuing on and on relentlessly drawing clear - what a performance.
Report ZEALOT March 27, 2015 6:23 PM GMT
Ruth dubh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com