Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bonnie
12 Feb 15 16:00
| Topic/replies: 238 | Blogger: bonnie's blog
its getting that close now i'm starting to check out long range weather forecasts !!!!!!!

doesn't appear to be too much rain around for the next few weeks.
Pause Switch to Standard View good/soft for supreme novices ????
Show More
Report malcolm213331 February 12, 2015 4:09 PM GMT
Stop trying to predict the weather. Weather people can't even do that.

Never mind how its going to effect the ground!
Report shockster February 12, 2015 4:21 PM GMT
Unless it hammers down from the Sunday before the festival then the course will make sure it's "officially" good to soft even if it rides much faster.
Report duffy February 12, 2015 4:59 PM GMT
Yep, no more rain forecast now until july...at least, it'll be the quickest festival for years...claisse will be chucking on 1000's of gallons just to get it to g/s.GrinWink
Report festivalfanatic February 12, 2015 5:08 PM GMT
Plenty of rain forecast for Cheltenham tomorrow but we need it.....it's been dry as a stick. Unless we have a very wet couple of weeks, I'm expecting the usual good to soft for the first 2 races then changed to good when they are run under standard time!Mischief
Report geoff m February 13, 2015 8:52 AM GMT
Dont think he even changed it from Gd to Sft last yr on 1st day despite going being nearer gd to firm
Vautours Supreme time was 9 seconds quicker than Back In Fronts 10 length romp on good ground in 2003
Like wise Jetskis  Champion Time was 9seconds quicker than Rooster Boosters 11 length romp on good ground 2003
With the current dry spell good(good /good to soft in places to appease all) is worth a punt @ around 5.5 ish here
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 9:06 AM GMT
because the way the races were timed was diferent last year resulting in the faster times.
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 9:07 AM GMT
good to firm rofl Laugh
Report geoff m February 13, 2015 9:13 AM GMT
did they time em from the 1st hurdle then alleged?
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 9:22 AM GMT
Im sure someone will be along to enlighten you to how the race timings changed Geoff Wink
then things will become clearer for you Happy
Report gazovic February 13, 2015 10:24 AM GMT
fair enough alleged but many of us also incorporate use of our own eyes and the types of horses performing well (or not)
Report gazovic February 13, 2015 10:27 AM GMT
I haven't even mentioned Claisse and his magic stick

ah rats
Report bigben February 13, 2015 10:35 AM GMT
The times last year were timed when the first horse passed the start line. In previous years it was timed when the flag dropped.
Report bigben February 13, 2015 10:45 AM GMT
Both last years Supreme & CH were about 5 seconds quicker than standard as a result of this. How Vautour could have broken the course record is beyond me as they had nothing to measure it against.
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 10:59 AM GMT
The times last year were timed when the first horse passed the start line. In previous years it was timed when the flag dropped.

thanks bigben Happy
Report geoff m February 13, 2015 1:25 PM GMT
You clearly assume i was using official times alleged?
Report taximan February 13, 2015 1:26 PM GMT
There are two certainties Cheltenham Week  First being that Mr S Claisse will stated the ground is good to soft,and the Racing Post will go up in price
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 2:48 PM GMT
I didn't assume anything Geoff Wink

did you assume on times the going was good to firm?   Crazy
Report Rathgorman82 February 13, 2015 2:56 PM GMT
Seem to remember it being very wet last winter right up to about 5-7 days before the Festival and the ground dried rapidly.
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 3:08 PM GMT
does every year rathg Happy
Report geoff m February 13, 2015 3:16 PM GMT
Never said it was good to firm Alleged .
I stated imo it was nearer Gd To Firm  than Gd To Sft that was given based on times of course but not official timesLaugh.
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 3:21 PM GMT
good to soft good in places,

if we do not get any rain mr C will get his hose pipes out to ensure that, that is the going on day 1.....
Report geoff m February 13, 2015 3:24 PM GMT
Do you honestly think it was nearer gd to sft than nearer gd to firm then last year Alleged on the opening day
Report alleged22 February 13, 2015 3:38 PM GMT
imo it was probably good, good to soft in places Geoff, and i think mr C  fecked it up as ideally he,d have wanted it a touch softer, i don,t think he,ll make the same mistake this yr
Report Ibrahima Sonko February 14, 2015 7:38 PM GMT
http://cleeve-weather.grg.org.uk/rainfall.php?date=Feb-2015
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip February 15, 2015 9:33 AM GMT
^ Great link, thanks
Report Ibrahima Sonko February 16, 2015 6:38 PM GMT
Nearly a quarter of an inch in cheltenham today Excited
Report ReaseHeath February 16, 2015 6:45 PM GMT
yep, thanks for that IS - quite a contrast between Jan and Feb this year vs last year...
Report tony2914 February 20, 2015 10:08 AM GMT
warwicks about 40 mile from chelt and they are waterlogged today, don't be so sure we are going to have a good ground festival I think with it being earlier in march this could prove significant as in terms of going, however this is just a thought as im a cabbie not a weatherman.
Report geoff m February 20, 2015 2:12 PM GMT
Im not sure what Warwick being waterlogged has anything to do with the going @ the festival.
Surely the link  given by Ibrahima(thanx) has far greater relevance
Report duffy February 20, 2015 2:50 PM GMT
Going by that chart compared to last year it looks like they could do with a drop one rain....a fair bit drier than last year.
Report duffy February 20, 2015 2:50 PM GMT
drop more
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip February 21, 2015 1:05 AM GMT
Think im developing a slightly unhealthy obsession with the little blue bars in that graph

Although, Februarys rain didnt seem to matter too much last year. Battered it down in Jan and Feb, then a break then some more on monday 2nd march and yet it still dried completely over the next week or so, although in fairness it was a week of balmy 16 degree spring sunshine.

(Claisse from last year)
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/09/simon-claisse-cheltenham-festival-going

Probably stating the obvious but anyone else against the 'spring' horses then it looks like we need some wet stuff closer to the meeting.
Report Ibrahima Sonko February 21, 2015 8:41 AM GMT
I think the problem is when it is naturally wet (like last year) and they dont water it can end being fast after a day or 2.

All about the temperature in week up to the festival imo.
Report Ibrahima Sonko February 22, 2015 9:23 PM GMT
Nearly a quarter today and the next 2 days are going to be decent, rain wise.
Report geoff m February 24, 2015 11:24 AM GMT
decent weather or a decent amount of rain Ibrahima?
Report teaspoon February 24, 2015 12:10 PM GMT
Chaisse said in RP today present going is Soft , Good to soft in places
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com