Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
brandyontherocks
14 Mar 14 16:11
| Topic/replies: 1,116 | Blogger: brandyontherocks's blog
Bobs darted to his left, nearly throwing barry to the ground.
Silv darts left as did Lord.

All very odd
Pause Switch to Standard View What was going on at the finish
Show More
Report Harvester March 14, 2014 4:50 PM GMT
completely agree brandy... was all very strange. Given the results today - GC, ABH and Triumph all won by outsiders, I was wondering whether the warm conditions had a big impact on things..??
Report Fallen Angel March 14, 2014 4:57 PM GMT
Think they will always be wondering what would have happened had Briar Hill stood up considering the form with very wood and the tie in's with other Mullins runners over the season.
Report Brooksielad March 14, 2014 5:47 PM GMT
it was very strange, conti running horizontal nearly at one stage then after meeting up with LW runs back to Bobs Worth. I can't have the first 3 home in the gold cup ahead of Silviniaco conti and bobs worth so for me the first two home in the gold cup were conti and bobs worth. The giant bolster! i mean fuking come on.
Report Poppydog. March 14, 2014 6:09 PM GMT
Bobs Worth's jinking was virtually the same place Daryl Jacob's mount went beserk and crashed into the silver ring
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 6:18 PM GMT
Reckon their some strange going ons?
Report Eeternaloptimist March 14, 2014 6:18 PM GMT
Turning for home you'd have been sure that Bob's Worth would pick em up and carry the rest. Fifth is a real head scratcher.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 6:36 PM GMT
just watched it a few times, after the last it looks like BW & SC are going to fight out the finish but they come to a stop and the 3 others race by on the outside.

you get the impression that the ground on the outside was faster
Report sintonian March 14, 2014 6:36 PM GMT
Has he looked in the same form this season though?
Report happyhibee March 14, 2014 6:37 PM GMT
Watched it a couple of times and it's a bit odd. Maybe Bob was just short of a run but who knows
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 6:39 PM GMT
Bob probably hasnt but SC looked like he had improved a little bit.
Report walllace007 March 14, 2014 7:07 PM GMT
Conti got outstayed the hill found him out
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 7:19 PM GMT
certainly think Silvio Conti doesnt truly want 3m2f, im Fehily's biggest fan but i reckon if he could re run the race he would not had got to the front so soon.

But you can understand why he did.
Report CheltenhamRoar March 14, 2014 8:33 PM GMT
How can u say SC didn't stay??
if that was Bobs Worth first attempt at the GC trip you'd say the same about him,Finished like a drunk up the hill today.
Strange race.
Report Howdi March 14, 2014 8:34 PM GMT
did we have strange sectionals or something bloody bizzare race
Report brandyontherocks March 14, 2014 8:41 PM GMT
I've watched three times now and still can't get my head round it. They didn't seem to go lightening quick and the ground was decent but they still all wandered round in the final 50 yards or so.

There was something sinister going on me thinks.
Report Howdi March 14, 2014 8:43 PM GMT
spooking !
Report padlock March 14, 2014 8:47 PM GMT
was odd looking,watched it a few times and seems like front 2 got an electric shock
Report Eeternaloptimist March 14, 2014 8:50 PM GMT
I don't think it matters how many times you watch it you'll still be scratching your head. Bob's Worth is in the perfect position going into the home turn and much closer than last year. Last year he ran away from them on ground he hates and like the others were running in treacle. This year he's totally legless and passed by three vastly inferior horses. Had Conti done him you'd have had questions but some answers but three of em mowing him down when usually he's putting them to the sword. What on earth happened halfway up the run in to him and Conti just seems totally inexplicable outside conspiracy theories.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 8:56 PM GMT
when you had watched them over the last you thought BW & SC were going to fight out  a finish, but 3 horses ran on like when you watch a race and the camera angle changes. they were not even really staying on before the last.

You can spot a horse that is really staying on and is going to involved.

Watching on his own up the inner, thought 6th at best. switches and finds wings. Not saying he didnt find his 2nd wind but my lord he ran up that hill...
Report brandyontherocks March 14, 2014 8:57 PM GMT
They both veer off in opposite directions at exactly the same time.

Something spooked or was done to them.
Report padlock March 14, 2014 8:59 PM GMT
u think someone spooked them with a laser or something?weird
Report SoYouThink March 14, 2014 9:00 PM GMT
Certainly interesting theory re electric shock albeit a little bit on the conspiracy theory side. But in the context of Daryl Jacob's horse freaking out and Silviniaco Conti wandering across the track, and Bobs Worth weird shift out and back in again, you'd be left wondering. Anyone else notice any other weird going ons at that part of the track today?
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 9:05 PM GMT
I dont think for a minute anything untoward was going on.

BW has a quirk when pressure is applied and i think Silviniaco Conti is top class and ideal at kempton.

its just the way it happened at the same time.

i had the placepot in up the run in and then...............
Report SoYouThink March 14, 2014 9:10 PM GMT
I'd be a little a more suspicious as they virtually veered at the same time....also this in the context of the horse in the 2.40 going out of control?

I'd be curious to see the Hunters Chase and the Grand Annual again to see if anything similar happened?
Report Howdi March 14, 2014 9:12 PM GMT
^^^^^ you'd be brilliant on crimewatch
Report SoYouThink March 14, 2014 9:17 PM GMT
???
Report padlock March 14, 2014 9:17 PM GMT
just been watching ruk replay and didnt see anything unusual in other races tbh
Report Eeternaloptimist March 14, 2014 9:18 PM GMT
Ibrahima

That's an interesting point about BW and I'm not one to discuss a theory out of hand but from memory every time he's gone to Cheltenham he's run on like a train and not in tin pot races. Never beaten. Albert Bartlett, RSA and Gold Cup. When it comes to it and pressure is applied his head goes down and he runs for his life. Usually.
Report mickey March 14, 2014 9:19 PM GMT
others handled the ground better than BW and SC?
Report Eeternaloptimist March 14, 2014 9:21 PM GMT
I did have reservations about SC but the ground has always been up BW's street.
Report brandyontherocks March 14, 2014 9:29 PM GMT
Ibrahima, 

Bobs has never jerked from pressure.  Always ran straight and true.

I can accept that he might not be the same horse, like many before him who have as many had hard battles as him.

Still doesn't explain him diving to the right and Conti to the left.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 9:29 PM GMT
i think BW needs it testing, even if that is natural g/s ground.....
Report brandyontherocks March 14, 2014 9:29 PM GMT
Or vice versa Whoops
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2014 9:34 PM GMT
i have just watched the last 8 vids of bw, i thought he jerked somewhere. I was wrong.

He didnt jerk when he won his first hurdle race at kempton on one monday when i had a max on him, cant believe the horse who was 2nd, got lucky that day.
Report Kingchip March 14, 2014 10:12 PM GMT
Was very unusual what Bobs Worth did after the last - perhaps some kind equine high pitch sonic device being used to put him off? I don't know but it looks very strange in the replay. He looses his action for little or no reason.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 14, 2014 10:22 PM GMT
Ibrahima

I just don't believe the evidence backs up your assertion about Bob's Worth needing it testing. His record on good ground is outstanding and he' done it on that ground twice at the festival. He's a small fella and it makes such horses work harder to jump out of deep ground. Last Instalment didn't like the ground. Bob's Worth looked all over the winner turning for home and had travelled better than last year when he realy seemed to be struggling coming down the hill and was some way back after the second last. We know he stays and yet he was legless after the last and that is ignoring him nearly throwing Geraghty off at the spot where Jacob had that horrible mishap.
Report Kingchip March 14, 2014 10:36 PM GMT
Is that not the same spot where MTOY jinked with McCoy? Is it something to do with the cut away to the finish where the tape it off?
Report Eeternaloptimist March 14, 2014 11:13 PM GMT
I don't think so. They are very different courses. MTOY very slightly jinked for half a stride thinking he may be asked to go around again but this was a few strides off the last hurdle where there was a slight gap between the fence on his inside and then the running rail about 15 yards further on which may have given the horse that impression and there was no tape to guide. He hardy broke stride though.

BW jinks well after the turn and on the running rail proper but it is a genuine and proper throw Geraghty over the rails type jink and very unlike the horse.
Report Shrews March 14, 2014 11:25 PM GMT
Many years ago, back in 1988 at the Royal Ascot meeting there was a flat horse called Il De Chypre, who jerked violently as it approached the winning post.  It was almost like it had been shocked, stunned, blinded, or deafened in some way. Today reminded me a little  bit of that, both in the Gold Cup and with Daryl Jacob in the Albert Bartlett.

Was the Albert Bartlett a practice run for the main event ?  I had no real stake in the Gold Cup as I thought Bobs Worth would win easily so only bet in a small stake multiple, but even so I found it all very strange today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/13799912
Report Poppydog. March 15, 2014 12:03 AM GMT
Of course there was the woman in the Foxhunters jinked off last year in around the same area.

Can't remember the exact where, why etc.

But with Daryl Jacob careering through the rails today, it's becoming sort of repetitive all in the same area
Report Howdi March 15, 2014 1:31 AM GMT
didn't wishful thinking crash out in same area 2 years ago in that area?
Report Howdi March 15, 2014 1:31 AM GMT
re-run it on Friday Shirley?
Report brandyontherocks March 15, 2014 7:06 AM GMT
Oscar Delta in last seasons Foxhunters was different as i think the horse tried to go around again where the tape was.

It will be interesting in anything is mentioned by a jockey, trainer or in the media.

Both Conti and Bobs were beat and I am not saying what happened stopped them from winning, but something happened to them imo
Report Brooksielad March 15, 2014 10:01 AM GMT
it's too strange to suggest two horses about to battle out the finish freak out like that. watched the race back now a good 10 times and something just doesn't seem right... When money is involved people would go to any lengths to gain an edge and that corner at the best mates viewing area is a prime place to get at horses if they had the tools to do so, especially over fences as they run against that rail. Them 3 horses finishing infront of BW and SC I just can't have it, they are vastly inferior horses and for them 3 to go by 2 horses rated nearly 180 is just not explainable especially the giant bolster.
Report judorick March 15, 2014 10:12 AM GMT
ah inexplicable so a conspiracy! Laugh
Report TheVis March 15, 2014 10:39 AM GMT
I really think those tapes are what is causing some horses to spook in that same area.
Report rogerthebutler March 15, 2014 12:23 PM GMT
Haven't read all of this but on the run in, Bobs Worth did this year what Oscar Delta did last year in the Foxhunters, 'cept geraghty stayed on board.

Those tapes they put across the course after they've done the forst circuit are no substitute for solid running rails.

Also, the commentator was saying early in the race that Bob's Worth's jumping was not brilliant - maybe took more out of himself than anticipated.

The stewards bottled the enquiry BTW and I'm not suprised connections of the second are thinking of an appeal.
Report Brooksielad March 15, 2014 12:35 PM GMT
what could russell do though, he had his whip in the correct hand, the horses just seem to want to run on hurdle course. Can't seem them changing the result.
Report bigH March 15, 2014 7:58 PM GMT
something in that area was spooking the horses

could the camera that DJ hit be the cause?

presumably it must have been in transmitting mode

just a wild guess
Report Howdi March 15, 2014 8:08 PM GMT
ARE WE THGE ONLY TALKING about it nothing un the media
Report Lion King March 15, 2014 8:11 PM GMT
Agree with Shrews, not seen anything like that since Il De Chypre and that was alleged to have been caused by a high pitched noise and was deliberate. Too much happened on that run in for my liking.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 15, 2014 8:13 PM GMT
My suggestion seems logical. Mullins horse was passed, being ridden and going nowhere when Silvy, BW and Lyreen went by him readying themselves for an effort but not having given it. As soon as he switched off the rail after two out he came flying up the outside and left those horses for dead. Not easily explained outside of different ground conditions caused by selective watering.
Report Lion King March 15, 2014 8:19 PM GMT
Plenty of Gold Cups have changed up the final hill with horses appearing drunk out of exhaustion but this just didn't appear likely going to the last and it's the movements of BW and SC and to a lesser extent the winner that suggest the possibility that something other than tiredness caused these events.
Report comingupthehill March 15, 2014 8:30 PM GMT
lac Fontana came up the rail ,so did tiger roll ,Thomas crapper ran wide all the way as they d sussed it was better ground.
Report Lion King March 15, 2014 8:38 PM GMT
The ground theory is fine but does not explain the violent moves on the run in.
Report Howdi March 15, 2014 8:39 PM GMT
could it be something to do with the missing plane?
Report Glossy March 15, 2014 9:02 PM GMT
I find it very suspicious myself. The veering movements of BW and SC were so sudden, violent and perfectly synchronized. I doubt we will ever know and very much doubt that anything would ever be investigated.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 15, 2014 9:09 PM GMT
i have watched so many times, BW & SC did strange things at exactly the same point on the run in. Both cant had been knackered at the exact same time.
Report pedrobob March 15, 2014 11:36 PM GMT
hala bek......
Report Steamship March 16, 2014 10:33 AM GMT
I think Silvi veered because he was out on his feet and was shying from the whip.
Bobs Worth thought he was going round again
Nothing sinister just a coincidence
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com