Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
pebbles22
28 Feb 14 22:53
| Topic/replies: 57 | Blogger: pebbles22's blog
What's your opening day ritual...for me it's the best day of the year.  It starts with a trip to my wetherspoons at 9am where a full English is in order whilst taking the racing post..and the next bit will have been a long time coming....I bar myself from the booze from jan 1st until first day of festival so it's a well earned first pint of the year at approx 9.30 am
Pause Switch to Standard View The morning of 11th march
Show More
Report pebbles22 February 28, 2014 10:57 PM GMT
And then it's off to bookies place pots , death or glory multiples, off to marks ans Spencer's for nibbles for my afternoon Buffett..back home at 11.45  bar open, laptop on, tv on and off pot war we go....and I have a trip to the course next day to look forward to followed by two more days at home...Xmas for grown ups is this festival lark.
Report ACStafford February 28, 2014 11:06 PM GMT
This year I'll be on the way down to the course by minibus. I might have to miss the Morning Line on the Tuesday while getting everyone together. We stop at a service station on the way down for a full English. This is a good chance to relax and chat about the Supreme, Arkle and Champion. I love the Tuesday morning, but the Monday evening is almost on a par with it.
Report irish_guy_13 February 28, 2014 11:15 PM GMT
the Monday evening I will be driving onto the ferry in rosslare with the lads , stay in Swansea for the night as usual and drive to the b&b next morning, then get rid of motor, bring sufficient cash for the day and off to the pub. it is xmas for adults exactly.
Report OI OI DIXIE March 1, 2014 12:17 AM GMT
Wake up - morning line
8:44 - kiss the mrs and baby
8:45 - drop the boy to school
9:00 - full English from my mate Brian
9:45-12:00 - racing post/horse talk/confirm what ante-post bets are down the pan
12:01- Pub

This is repeated for 4 days with only the chef changing each morning. I'm booked in for Thursday this year...

Note to self...Must remember to get Heinz beans - tesco''s own brand doesn't go down to well with the guests!!
Report Haemolysis March 1, 2014 12:21 AM GMT
Nearly the same, Tues 11th, drop the bairn off at school, then meet the lads at Wetherspoons at 09:15. The rest you know!!!
Report marychain1 March 1, 2014 12:34 AM GMT
Was supposed to be going the Tuesday but not now Cry

It will be morning line then local greasy spoon with RP & then back home for the racing.
Report marychain1 March 1, 2014 12:38 AM GMT
Tuesday - watch at home while all my mates are there Cry (but its still Cheltenham Laugh)
Wednesday - go and meet all the mates in the suburbs of South Liverpool and listen to all their Cheltenham tales Cry (but see Tuesday's parenthesis)
Thursday - Lady of Mann the best racing boozer in Liverpool
Friday see Thursday but as its also payday add a zero to the bets and a short to every round...
Report The Sawyer March 1, 2014 7:43 AM GMT
Wetherspoons is very popular.

Same here actually: the Bank House in Chelt for about 9.30 if anyone is around.

I am taking the good lady on day one - well it saves kissing her goodbye.

We are easily recognisable, like Laurel and Hardy.
Report tony2914 March 1, 2014 7:57 AM GMT
agreed best day of the year !. meet up at the whitegate (Manchester)to get the minibus at 8 am. get to chelt for about 11 ,straight in this working mens club think its called the albion sommat like that.Walk down to the course for a great day of gambling/boozing with my mates(no pain in the arse wifes allowed) wifes and gambling are not compatable.Hopefully a winner or two then a good nite out in chelt. Back on minibus around midnight and back to Manchester for about 3am. A grueller of a day but I love it.
Report irishone March 1, 2014 8:02 AM GMT
will be booking in at stroud
getting the train
bit of breakfast
cant and wont be beat
Report Swardean March 1, 2014 8:42 AM GMT
Get up at 6.00ma (after a very fragmented night sleep)
Have a big sigh when I release that I actually hadnt gone through the card, it was just a dream
Open the last window in my Cheltenham advent calendar
Cornflakes
Blow the girlfriend a kiss
Get picked up by the lads and drive down to Cheltenham (2.5 hrs)
Study form in Racing Post in car
Feel sick, studying form in racingpost in the car
get to cheltenham about 9.30
hotel not ready so leave the bags.
Flyer in Bank House Wetherspooon Chelt
Another Flyer in Copa
Breakfast in Tailers
Get free placepots from girls in high street and put on in hills
Walk up to course and put on a betfair scarf
Throw away betfair scarf as neck coming out in a rash
Enter the course
Report buddeliea March 1, 2014 9:38 AM GMT
Open the last window in my Cheltenham advent calendar

Laugh
Report onehundredandeighty March 1, 2014 1:01 PM GMT
Get off train at Cheltenham spa approx 08.50,slow walk into town to start soaking up the atmosphere.Go in all the town centre bookies for a nosey.Have a "Gold Cup Breakfast" in the little cafe opposite Yates.Start the very slow walk towards the track to get there for gates opening.Just past Pitville pump room stick my headphones in and play One day like this by elbow just intime to cross the roundabout and get to my favourite place in the world.Straight into members to have a sit on the steps looking out to Cleeve hill remembering this is why i graft my balls off all year to be here.Trall back thru the racing post for late placepot adjustments.Cheeky pint of black stuff in cottage rake then a wander down to the parade ring (then for some unknown reason) walk round all them tweed shops then the guinness village.Bump into Alan Brazil then walk back to the centaur to meet some mates for an hour while they do their conkers on the dogs.Back up into members for another pint on the balcony above the walkway people watching.Bump into Jeremy Kyle again for the umpteenth year running then go get my position for the supreme,still wondering,hoping,praying for my best festival ever.Mornings over,this sh** got real

LETS FACKIN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Report Shrews March 1, 2014 4:23 PM GMT
Not been to the Festival since Istabraq day in 1999 Surprised

I've been to many other race meets all over the country since then including Cheltenham and Points but I enjoy the festival more now from the comfort of my own settee, TV and laptop. It just seemed to get busier and busier, so God knows what it's like now ?

Ritual
Every night from now on I will be looking at races properly, 27 races in 10 days. On Monday 10th I will finalise my Lucky 15/accumulator strategy, normally covering every race somehow in short priced accumulators and each-way 10,000/1 Lucky 15's (normally looking for 4 horses around the 10/1 mark)  I always have at least one 'retirement bet' to win that cool million. But every race will have multiple horse interest. I tend not lose a lot with this strategy, in fact I am about 7-3 in profit over the last 10 years, with one of those covering most of the expenditure for 6 festivals. So pretty good overall.

I have always had Cheltenham week off from work since 1988  Cool

Tuesday
Get up, walk the dog
Get the RP from the shops
Have brekkie
Spend the next few hours selecting
Do another Lucky 15 for the day, might even do some strange forecasts that never win
Turn on telly, go to a message forum like here, OLBG and Fanfootycouk, for a bit of banter and discussion
Sit back, get the beers out, have a great afternoon

Up on the day: Out for a few pints, Lose on the day: Extra studying needed for tomorrow

Repeat for the next three days

Friday night: Win, lose or draw - cry Sad

Saturday morning: Ease myself off the fix by studying for the Midlands National, which never wins

Sunday evening: When does that Grand National business start ?
Report rogerthebutler March 1, 2014 4:57 PM GMT
7.30 Gym - bower up some heavy weights toburn up the calories and the nervous energy.

Huge breakfast - really stuff myself to fill up the cracks, determined as I am to not give those chiselling twatters on the food stands at Chelters one penny of my hard earned.

9.30 - Last skip through here, thumb through the racing post, any last minute bets on here, shave and get suited and booted

10.30 - Head into the course and get the Cheltenham playlist 'banging choons' on the sound system, just to get the ennervation levels up to the levels (I imagine) one would associate with a rape!

11.30-midday: Park up and onto the course for the usual pre-game bimble about seeing whose about and what's occuring prior to the firs race.
Report Marcus Cicero March 2, 2014 12:54 AM GMT
I am flying in from Bermuda where I live and work. Probably won't make Cheltenham itself this year. Tuesday morning will be the Morning Line and then a 5 mile run along the coast. This will clear the mind for the battle ahead. I am pretty sure of what I am on already. A nice brekkie then meet the boys in the pub for the racing. And repeat for the week. Sunday 16 March fly back to Bermuda.
Report Paddy Hair March 2, 2014 1:03 AM GMT
Got to move to Bermuda, the holidays in England sound great.
Report Marcus Cicero March 2, 2014 2:02 AM GMT
Bring your rain coat PH as it has been bloody horrible here for the last week. I am coming to England for the weather haahaaaa.
Report peatysandy March 2, 2014 7:05 AM GMT
^ love the name. One of the true non-military greats.
Report peatysandy March 2, 2014 7:09 AM GMT
Get up. Strong coffee x 2. Stuff my pockets full with pork pies then head off to the course.
Report MWDS March 2, 2014 11:07 AM GMT
A true great.  And a quick scan of p.1 here shows how many of his quotes can relate to gambling...

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marcus_tullius_cicero.html

Cool
Report bonnie March 2, 2014 12:06 PM GMT
wake up too early
feel rough after a monday night out
walk in to cheltenham town centre
various bookies to see if any value bets available
breakfast - probably delboys if its still open
shuttle bus to course
business with tout
cider
let the fun begin

repeat for four days with each day feeling progressively worse
Report ZEALOT March 2, 2014 12:15 PM GMT
7-8am ... Get a suck off me bird while watching the morning line , during the adverts she can take a break while I make a few notes .

Then it's party time
Report Makybe_Diva March 2, 2014 4:50 PM GMT
Haven't planned my week yet.

It will probably involve a visit to gym each morning then stuffing my face each afternoon while watching the racing Excited
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com