Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
the istabraq years
28 Jan 14 17:41
| Topic/replies: 651 | Blogger: the istabraq years's blog
An absolute gem, 2 1/2 hours of real quality racing chat. The RUK team and Ruby Walsh more or less having a  full chelt preview going through all the ante post races and reviewing every horse relevant up to this point this season.

Clearly Ruby loves CF and seems very keen concerning the Arkle, also get the feeling he s a huge amount of time for Briars Hill. Great to see Ruby relaxed and being as honest as always when giving horses the thumps up but even more so the thumbs down.

Excellent stuff.
Pause Switch to Standard View Half Term Report on RUK now - The...
Show More
Report Slabster January 28, 2014 6:51 PM GMT
Is it available to watch online anywhere?
Report the istabraq years January 28, 2014 6:57 PM GMT
not sure tbh mate, already theres quotes on some sites like the sporting life etc...I have to say its better then any chelt preview ive been to over the last few years.

Ruby has a lot of respect for Our Connor I can tell you that.
Report Slabster January 28, 2014 7:01 PM GMT
Thanks, not an RUK subscriber but I'll try find it some where Mischief
Report gutfeeling January 28, 2014 7:09 PM GMT
tykestv
Might be on there as they do a live stream for free
Report Ballydoyle January 28, 2014 7:57 PM GMT
Walsh is only one man's opinion....lets not forget this.
Report HaylingBilly January 28, 2014 8:15 PM GMT
Bally - that is the equivalent of saying Alex Ferguson is only one mans opinion on the topic of Man Utd.
Report Ballydoyle January 28, 2014 8:54 PM GMT
It isn't really to be honest....but I know what you're saying.Walsh never changes his mind and his trainer always upfront
Report bluebirdfan January 28, 2014 11:01 PM GMT
Brilliant programme. When do you ever get to hear a top jockeys opinion for 2 hours
Report seary January 28, 2014 11:09 PM GMT
could we have some feed back from it please...what indications did you get off ruby?
Report Ballydoyle January 28, 2014 11:09 PM GMT
True...
Report buickisgod January 28, 2014 11:28 PM GMT
sounds like ruby been banging the arkle drum for CF again. hes calling the shots between him an FY.
Report alleged22 January 29, 2014 8:07 AM GMT
walsh has been known to get it wrong more than once, theres always townend on FY anyway
Report Ballydoyle January 29, 2014 9:46 AM GMT
As has the trainer. One gets the feeling that some people assume Mullins has the Arkle completely sewn up when that is absolutely not the case and Champagne Fever, whilst he is a good horse, is poor value given his chase form and also the fact that they clearly thought a stablemate was more of an Arkle contender
Report gutfeeling January 29, 2014 10:39 AM GMT
So Ruby fancies CF to break his 34 last chase starts losing run at the Festival.
Report wondersobright January 29, 2014 1:36 PM GMT
watched this back this morning, excellent programme, good choice of pundits, ruby was good though didn't give loads away, lydia Love

mellish was spot on re champagne fever, gave a decent case for our conor as well totally on the money mellish
Report Tory January 29, 2014 2:06 PM GMT
What did he say about CF Wonder?
Report unclepuncle January 29, 2014 2:51 PM GMT
While these programs and the various preview nights are good fun they don't tell you anything you didn't already know or can't read about on here.

So from the above I can glean that 3 horses who won at the festival last year (and have been favourite or near favourite for this years taget ever since), are all highly thought off and fancied to go well. Great thanks for the heads up.Cry
Report harry callaghan January 29, 2014 3:21 PM GMT
Laughpunkle so true
Report buddeliea January 29, 2014 4:58 PM GMT
Yep, good ol Mellish.

If I remember correctly,the other bloke tipped up CF in the programme they did earlier in the season.
Think he said 3/1 was value!!Laugh
Report the istabraq years January 29, 2014 8:12 PM GMT
A brief summary from the programme for those who have asked/are interested....RW ruby walsh  SM steve mellish MH mark howard. LH lyda hislop.

Naps  LH  kings palace  SM  La Rocher  MH  Foxrock...also SM is on Champagne fever ante post.no nap from RW

All think the supremes very open with RW impressed with  the tullow tank....RW clearly loves CF and thinks he s special. blames himself for the error last time and repeats he is not slow in any way.loves him.
Concerning the champion hurdle RW was great to listen too.Has huge respect for our connor and believes dessie hughes is doing a hardy Eustace and training him to the minute and for one race only, expects him to improve again but also hopes HF will.Also talks about UDS is glowing terms. cant believe how he keeps up the gallop he does and will have to sit very handy on HF as you cant give this horse rope as he wouldn't come back to you. Will be a fast run 2 mile and a classic.
In the Neptune RW says Faugheen s jumping is fine and not an issue but does like red Sherlock.....quite keen on morning assembly for the RSA.RW likes wonderful charm in the Jewson and believes beneffcient is under rated and out the front 5 in the betting the only 1 going for the race ( rynair ).

I get the impression he fears time may be catching up with big bucks, been on the go since a 3yo in france..Even at his best he would struggle to give the mares allowance to AP if she runs in the race but clearly loves him , rates  the mare but slight concern if she doesn't fully settle...his pick at the prices would be At fishers cross.
The panel like la rocher in the triumph but were impressed with ivan groznys turn of foot last time. RW impressed and will only improve for better ground and when he learns to settle.RW has the gold cup as a match between to the top 2, wasn't sure he d of won the GC last year before the fall of SC, loves the way bobs worth quickens late and is tough...rubi ball an ew bet if the ground was soft...Finally the best imo, RW has a huge amount of time for briars hill, loves his attitude to life and racing...the better the race the better he ll be as only does enough. still not sure how good he is but really likes him as an individual.( albert bartlet )

Sorry its a bit rushed and not perfect but hope that helps....good luck.
Report buddeliea January 29, 2014 8:35 PM GMT
I watched it.....that's a pretty good summary tiy.
Report Andymca January 29, 2014 8:36 PM GMT
Cheers for that istabraq
Report Can't Catch Me January 29, 2014 9:17 PM GMT
Nice one Istabraq.
Report Graeme83 January 29, 2014 10:17 PM GMT
I wouldn't pay too much attention to any jockey who will tip up other peoples runners because he doesn't want to reveal what he will be running. Good talk has been thin on the ground this season. NH is going down the flat route of turning their noses up at the punter. It's just the way it is. Pick your own selections, and stick to your own guns.
Report differentdrum January 29, 2014 10:46 PM GMT
No Irish racing and it's brilliant? Have you all got shares in RUK?

Walsh gave about as many steers as Willie Mullins. Zero.

It might have been entertaining had there been someone to actually wind up the ticking timb bomb rather than three lap dogs.

Champagne Fever hasn't led twice and been beaten twice - presumably nobody has noticed?
Report alleged22 January 29, 2014 11:23 PM GMT
Pick your own selections, and stick to your own guns.

id agree with that Cool
Report callitasucit January 29, 2014 11:46 PM GMT
Not only that Differntdrum, he has thrown in the towel very quick once headed on more than one occasion. One would have to wonder has he a bit of a temperament issue. Seems strange to suggest it, as in his wins, he has seemed tough as boots, but if something goes by him early, does he lose interest??
Report alleged22 January 29, 2014 11:50 PM GMT
jezki smashed him at punchestowns
Report duffy January 30, 2014 2:18 PM GMT
Very interesting point that Walsh made when questioned whether HF likes Cheltenham as much as elsewhere, he agreed that he hadn't showed his best there but was in no doubt that it wasn't because he wasn't equalling as effective there, he said that in his first win he tanked the whole way with him and interestingly last year walsh said that instead of being too worried about keeping half close to ROR and co., if he just had more confidence and simply let them go he would have come back at them really hard rather than suffering to a smaller degree by trying to keep tabs on them as he did.
Report wondersobright January 30, 2014 2:55 PM GMT

Jan 29, 2014 -- 8:06AM, Tory wrote:

What did he say about CF Wonder?

only that he'd backed the horse, reasons he gave same reasons as mine for also betting about 6-8 weeks ago ie proven festival winner, need to stay to win arkle, race often cuts up etc

Report ReaseHeath January 30, 2014 3:33 PM GMT
not as high profile, but Walsh did give a strong indication that Arvika L would go for QM as opposed to the Ryanair - of minor interest because when I looked after the programme, he was still generally available at bigger prices for the QM.

Of course, that is not carved in tablets of stone either and could well change depending what happens with Sprinter Sacre.
Report mushroom23 January 30, 2014 3:56 PM GMT
Avrika wouldn't win either race as he's a stone better the other way round
Report ReaseHeath January 30, 2014 4:03 PM GMT
^ that was n't my point, just trying to be helpful in terms of sharing information.
Report BJG February 1, 2014 8:54 AM GMT
http://www.racinguk.com/news/article/25359/racing-uks-half-term-report
Report Winnerallrite February 1, 2014 4:52 PM GMT
Thanks BJG
Report Tory February 1, 2014 5:03 PM GMT
Yeah, thanks
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com