Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Eeternaloptimist
27 Jan 14 23:34
| Topic/replies: 38,236 | Blogger: Eeternaloptimist's blog
I remember him being entered at the five day stage in the race Annie Power won on new years day but since then nothing. Does anybody have any info regarding this one?
Pause Switch to Standard View Any news regarding More Of That?
Show More
Report BJG January 28, 2014 11:14 AM GMT
Another potential World Hurdle contender for McManus is the unbeaten More Of That, trained by Jonjo O'Neill.

The six-year-old secured his fourth win from as many starts with a smart display in last month's Relkeel Hurdle at Cheltenham and is set to have another run between now and the Festival.

Berry said: "More Of That will have another run somewhere, but where, I don't know.

"Jonjo has a few things in his mind, but it will come down to the weather and ground.

"He's in good form and Jonjo is happy with him."
Report Eeternaloptimist January 28, 2014 12:30 PM GMT
Thanks for that. Not that many opportunities for another run without leaving time for building up the energy stores for the world hurdle but glad to see he's well.
Report BJG January 30, 2014 9:01 AM GMT
Decision obv been made as regards target = Cant be given away for the stayers yest and today
Report Ramruma January 30, 2014 10:44 AM GMT
Swerving Big Buck's?
Report Eeternaloptimist January 30, 2014 12:18 PM GMT
I remember looking directly after the Cleeve and some of the books were going 7-2 and it was over 10-1 on here. That and the stable gave me cause for concern. Seems to be justified. Reminds me never to back Jonjo's ante post. Laugh
Report harry callaghan January 30, 2014 3:42 PM GMT
deplorable firm - horse is second fav for a championship race and trading at 30 on here yet no word from this rancid crew
Report foxy January 30, 2014 5:38 PM GMT
why should they be concerned about whats going on ,on here ?
Report harry callaghan January 30, 2014 5:47 PM GMT
sums it up really
Report alleged22 January 30, 2014 5:53 PM GMT
too much money in the game these days, for them to give a toss about the everyday punter
Report Ballydoyle January 30, 2014 6:11 PM GMT
They said last week that they would see how At Fishers Cross got on. He obviously did ok so More of That won't go to the World.
Report harry callaghan January 30, 2014 6:28 PM GMT
are you for real ballydoyle?

where else could he run off of his mark

he's clearly cropped and people are steeling the loot

or are you saying he won't be running because of at fishers cross?

enlighten me
Report duffy January 30, 2014 7:01 PM GMT
They must be cursing their luck that AFC has been useless for the early part of the season and More of they had to find out just how good more of that was and therefore was allowed to run the races he did.......he could have been a 140 horse now and all primed for the martin pipe or something.
Report foxy January 30, 2014 7:09 PM GMT
same ownership might be a clue
Report harry callaghan January 30, 2014 7:11 PM GMT
i'd probably say, they are cursing, blowing the horses novice status last year when an unfancied 20-1 chance in a folkestone novice...they did win a nice handicap pot at haddock but he is certainly looking a nice horse in his 4 starts

doesn't look good though...just would like to know whats wrong with it...

surely he wouldn't run him off 160 in the coral cup he is a graded horse...anyway not looking good
Report Eeternaloptimist January 30, 2014 7:17 PM GMT
That's a peculiar train of thought Bally. Stepping aside for a horse with an inferior official rating which couldn't get past Knockara on his favoured ground and with Big Buck's looking vulnerable?

If anything Saturday's result would have me rushing to confirm the entry if the horse is sound.
Report harry callaghan January 30, 2014 7:19 PM GMT
at last some sense^
Report Eeternaloptimist January 30, 2014 7:23 PM GMT
Strange thing is that immediately post race the horse was cut by the books so most of them didn't seem to know anything at that time.
Report harry callaghan January 30, 2014 7:28 PM GMT
no he wasn't quoted but had only won a handicap off of 137...

being honest i had him put on here for the world hurdle before his chelt run...but he wasn't quoted by the books before the chelt race, i just liked him and thought the race was wide open at the time and he was a speculative one
Report Eeternaloptimist January 30, 2014 7:45 PM GMT
Sorry Harry. I meant some of the books cut him for the world hurdle following the running of the Cleeve.
Report harry callaghan January 30, 2014 8:07 PM GMT
ah apologies ye ridiculous really, he should of be a 9-10/1 shot on what he has done so far but suppose the race lacks depth but still a poor price...anyway i haven't backed it just wouldn't mind knowing what is going on with the horse

like so many races you just can't form a book...am finding it a thankless task at the moment, very frustrating
Report Ballydoyle January 31, 2014 12:16 AM GMT
At Fishers Cross has had treatment for back issues and ownership think he is a better candidate for the World Hurdle than More of That.
Report Eeternaloptimist January 31, 2014 12:33 AM GMT
They may be right but he's had plenty more chances to show his worth, he's still rated a 3lbs inferior animal despite MOT only racing four times and being a year younger and AFC's form all being on soft or worse ground. Those back and other issues are hardly likely to be assisted if it comes up decent ground for the festival.
Report Eeternaloptimist January 31, 2014 12:34 AM GMT
I'm interested though Bally given you seem to have some knowledge here what are their thoughts regarding MOT? He clearly thrives at the track. Are they planning on giving Cheltenham a miss?
Report barnesy January 31, 2014 12:44 AM GMT
Reading between the lines I think More of That could be quite a fragile animal and Jonjo seems desperate to take it very slowly with him. I get the impression that he doesn't think a championship 3 mile race is the best thing for him at this stage of his career and was probably relieved when At Fishers Cross bounced back somewhat at the weekend so the owners would be more willing to let him take his time.
Report stevo1 January 31, 2014 1:15 AM GMT
Be good if Jonjo was up front for change? Sure we will hear in few days after no money left to lay he is out!
Report stevo1 January 31, 2014 1:17 AM GMT
Just looked hardly any left to lay.
Report Ramruma January 31, 2014 7:11 AM GMT
Be good if Jonjo was up front for change?

How would that work? Jonjo doesn't have the final say, and JP and Frank Berry won't finalise their plans until March.

I'm not saying Jonjo is open and honest at the best of times but in this case, it might be worse if he rules MOT out of the World Hurdle only for JP to put him back in after a downbeat report from Rebecca Curtis about At Fishers Cross, or having weighed up AP McCoy's thoughts about the relative merits of the two animals. The 1000 layers would not be happy bunnies.
Report Eeternaloptimist February 1, 2014 2:07 PM GMT
Given the open nature of the race this year, Big Buck's vulnerability and Annie possibly going for the champion I'd be more than happy to have the likely second and third favourites. I wouldn't be taking one out.
Report GI MAC February 1, 2014 3:11 PM GMT
Finally, a word about Big Buck’s. I thought he ran a blinder at Cheltenham last Saturday. Paul Nicholls knows what he is doing, and if he is pleased, that is good enough for me. The old staying champion can never be underestimated. My horse, At Fishers Cross, felt more like his old self, and is another who will be more comfortable on better ground. I am going to have a tough time deciding between him and More Of That in the World Hurdle.

McCoy today......
Report ACStafford February 1, 2014 4:17 PM GMT
At Fishers Cross will improve for better ground? The trainer has been suggesting the opposite so far this season.
Report buddeliea February 1, 2014 4:28 PM GMT
Well looking at his races thus far,aside from one on good/soft,all his runs have been on soft or heavy.

Suggests to me that they are more than happy to run him on soft ground!!
Mind you the run on good/soft he did win.

Personally I think he needs soft ground to have the best chance of winning,as hes probably less affected by it than others. Example...on decentish ground I would expect Big Bucks, for one, to beat him,whereas the softer it gets more chance he would have of beating Big Bucks....think it would have to be bl00dy soft though!!
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 1, 2014 5:42 PM GMT
I watched the cleeve for the first time today and its my opinion that the jockey got BB beat! He did too much too early for me especially between 3 out and the last. He will come on bundles for the run and i am sure STD will be fully aware of how he rode and wont make the same mistake i think he did. As long as we're on the same wave length lol Crazy

Annie Power aside, gonna take a good un to lower BB's colours! Thinking about even backing just the two in this race, and dutching the top two at current prices nrnb! Can get 9/4 and 11/4 nrnb so obviously odds on coupled but cant see whats gonna beat them
Report Try My Best February 1, 2014 9:08 PM GMT
Have seen this horse at Wetherby and Haydock and agree with Budd that the softer the ground the better chance he will have at the festival. Anything a bonus this year but I think this horse will develop into a high class chaser. RSA winner for me hopefully in 2015.
Report Ibrahima Sonko February 1, 2014 9:15 PM GMT
I would never trust a word miss curtis quotes. She is in that mould, owned by the irish.
Report Eeternaloptimist February 1, 2014 10:05 PM GMT
Try My Best

MOT's cosy beating of Salubrious was on good ground at Cheltenham in December. If I were connections I'd be hoping for similar if he's running.
Report Winnerallrite February 1, 2014 10:08 PM GMT
Maybe they are contemplating a different route or have a small problem with horse, they could be waiting to see how things go, maybe trainers want to go one route, connections another, or maybe the work rider did a bad piece of work on it, yard hands seen it and told their mates in the pub? who knows? your guessing and accusing people of different things here.

Because we are members of a betting exchange we should be privy to all information that goes on in a racing yard, between stable staff, managers , owners and trainers?

people moaning about Mullins too why doesn't he tell us what races he is going for etc?

Because he doesn't probably know for 100% sure himself, these things take a lot of time its not like he has just the 3 horses in the stable all with the same owner and he can phone sky news to tell them what they discussed or what goes on in the yard.
Report Winnerallrite February 2, 2014 10:58 AM GMT
I've heard it mentioned on a preview video there is a doubt over More Of That's participation in the World Hurdle, I've also noticed it mentioned on this article online.

Perhaps these vibes or snippets of info are what is leading to the drift?

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/9137093/lydia-hislops-road-to-cheltenham
Report Eeternaloptimist February 2, 2014 12:04 PM GMT
Interesting article from Lydia much of which I agree with. The cheek pieces for At Fisher's Cross was an aspect which there hasn't been much comment on. It does take a leap of faith to argue that Knockara put up a career best performance but if she's right at Buck's running to 160 then it does make the race a little easier to explain. At Fisher's running to about 157 which is his mark but Knockara at around 153 does stretch credibility a little.

I wouldn't be in the least worried about MOT's age. He's the same age as Annie Power and plenty of winners. Six is an ideal age. The experience angle is a concern but given the horses rating of 160 where else can he go and given that if Annie goes the champion hurdle route and he could end up second top rated against Big Buck's with questions against one is tempted to ask why not?

Lydia poses interesting questions regarding Annie and 3 miles. The fact is she's never been that far. She may well stay. She does appear to have the speed for the champion. Logic says you take your chance in whatever is deemed the best race but if that was the case we would have seen Quevega in a stayers before now.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com