Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
x20
03 Jan 14 18:15
| Topic/replies: 144 | Blogger: x20's blog
Must be unusual to see this race have so little shape.
Calipto is a weak favourite who won an ok race at Newbury.
My fancy Thomas Hobson is even more friendless on here.
A lot of the others have been beating each other
Vicenzo Mio been backed today but has the profile of a 3 miler being by a Cadoudal mare!
Seen Baradari mentioned and could see him being of interest but still available at 28/1 on here and not exactly a lot of money coming for him.
Be interested if anyone sees differently.
Pause Switch to Standard View Triumph Hurdle is wide Open
Show More
Report sintonian January 22, 2014 2:30 PM GMT
Sorry, yes, just read back and it appears you were the only one to take the 25/33s. Nice one.
Report sintonian January 22, 2014 3:17 PM GMT
Ballyglasheen could aim to prove last month's Cheltenham victory was no fluke by returning to the track for Saturday's JCB Triumph Hurdle Trial.

Triumph Hurdle. Click here to bet.

Ballyglasheen: Cheltenham possible
Related ContentLive horse racing resultsRacecards and formLatest non-runnersLatest video formFree £5 bet every weekFree £30 matched bet
The four-year-old claimed his third victory from eight starts over hurdles with a shock 33-1 win in another Triumph trial, but trainer Evan Williams is unsure about the strength of the form.

Ballyglasheen beat Kentucky Hyden by a neck, with Commissioned and Vicenzo Mio third and fourth respectively.

Williams said: "We will definitely have a look at the JCB Triumph Hurdle Trial for Ballyglasheen.

"He has been in very good form and has probably improved a bit since his win there last time.

"I was very surprised at Cheltenham and thought it was a very fluky performance, but I thought it was a poor race.

"The second, third and fourth horses are probably over-hyped and we were a little bit more streetwise."
Report Ramruma January 22, 2014 3:29 PM GMT
@sintonian -- not what you'd hope to hear for Ballyglasheen or Vicenzo Mio.

"I was very surprised at Cheltenham and thought it was a very fluky performance, but I thought it was a poor race.

"The second, third and fourth horses are probably over-hyped and we were a little bit more streetwise."
Report sintonian January 23, 2014 1:57 PM GMT
I know. Evan can be quite the pessimist though. We'll see.
Report duffy January 23, 2014 2:40 PM GMT
You've certainly got stable form on your side, that's for sure.
Report blackbarn January 23, 2014 7:26 PM GMT
Ballyglasheen, Vicenzo Mio and Broughton (also mentioned on here) all entered in the Finesse "triumph trial" on Saturday.
Report sageform January 24, 2014 8:10 PM GMT
I have had a very small bet on Goodwood Mirage for tomorrow despite his awful jumping fto. I doubt if his jumping would cope with a big field like the Triumph but he might get away with it tomorrow.
Report deepingfox January 24, 2014 8:34 PM GMT
PLINTH for Aidan OBrien
Report Marcus Cicero January 25, 2014 5:26 PM GMT
deepingfox - completely agree! Really like the look of Plinth.
Report sintonian January 25, 2014 6:05 PM GMT
Le Rocher was seriously impressive today. Form looks quite strong too i'd say.
Report Glossy January 25, 2014 6:15 PM GMT
Very impressive but also very ground dependent I fear. Not sure how he'd handle quick spring ground.
Report sintonian January 25, 2014 6:16 PM GMT
Yep, unproven on the going, though both trainer and jockey were saying better ground would be ok for him in their post-race interviews.
Report zilzal1 January 25, 2014 6:18 PM GMT
Williams must have changed his mind, after Chepstow he said that it needed soft ground
Report sintonian January 25, 2014 6:20 PM GMT
yeah I know, he's now saying he was ok on GS going in France.
Report shockster January 25, 2014 7:19 PM GMT
Pearl Castle was seriously impressive at Doncaster on Friday.  If you didn't see it watch the replay. Can't believe it's still 25/1.
Report Winnerallrite January 25, 2014 7:45 PM GMT
I will play the waiting game with this race, We haven't seen all the cards played this year yet! for me this is wide open still
Report Ibrahima Sonko January 25, 2014 8:14 PM GMT
Not sure it is wide open, all the good ones cant just appear in feb.

I really like Ivan Grozny & Le Rocher so far. Plus maybe that PN horse that won at the hennessey meeting.
Report sintonian January 25, 2014 8:16 PM GMT
PFN says he is waiting for a bit of good ground before run Calipto again. Form of that race is very strong.
Report Ibrahima Sonko January 25, 2014 8:21 PM GMT
was the strongest race till today sint (imo)
Report Winnerallrite January 25, 2014 9:06 PM GMT
Understand the first 2 in the market are interesting but that's why they head it up.

I don't expect them all to run in Feb just a few, As a rule I want to see at the very least the running's of the Adonis Hurdle and the Irish grade 2 hurdle on Hennessy day before forming my opinion.
Report sageform January 27, 2014 10:13 AM GMT
Pearl Castle was impressive but she was a 4yo mare in an all aged race so got a massive weight concession on heavy ground.
Report shockster January 27, 2014 10:30 AM GMT
Pearl Castle did get a massive allowance, but they're there for a reason.  I have had a few quid on her in the Supreme as she will get the allowances for sex and age there too should the trainer go down that route as he appears to have 1 or 2 decent 4 year olds.  To me it was the manner of the performance.  It really took me and look forward to seeing her at Cheltenham.
Report sageform January 27, 2014 1:16 PM GMT
agree with all that. I backed her at Doncaster and will have a look whenever she runs again.
Report duffy January 27, 2014 1:42 PM GMT
Pearl Castle was visually very impressive alright.
Report Ramruma January 27, 2014 1:46 PM GMT
Pearl Castle was certainly impressive but beat nothing, and on the bare form must be about two stone shy of winning the Triumph. I'd back her in the Fred Winter, though, and there is still time for her to step up.

That said, nothing else has got the pulse racing as a Triumph ante-post certainty in the way Our Conor did last season, so it's wait and see until the Adonis.
Report shockster January 27, 2014 2:09 PM GMT
I'd say she ran to the low 130's on her 2nd start over hurdles and with plenty improvement to come. Doesn't need to improve masses on that with mares allowance to be in the shake up.  Our Conor was rated 137 after 2 hurdle runs?
Report duffy January 27, 2014 2:13 PM GMT
The only negative is and it does sound a bit strange but that's nothing new for me, is, and you see it with a few quinn horses, is that cruise on the bridal style, I just wonder whether she will be able to do that at cheltenham.
Report duffy January 27, 2014 2:19 PM GMT
I want to see my horses win easily of course, but I kind of also want them to show a battling effort and responding to pressure sort of style....it could be that Pearl Castle is just that good that it isn't needed, but I doubt that

Another from the same stable on Saturday, Hidden Justice a former Triumph Hurdle fancy himself, travelled easily into the race but when asked found nothing....I just worry about that with some of these horses with that easy style.
Report sageform January 27, 2014 2:28 PM GMT
Pearl Castle wasn't travelling that well at halfway- she drifted to 25 at one point and steadily found her way into the race before outclassing the opposition in the straight. You can't get too far back and win a Triumph.
Report duffy January 27, 2014 2:30 PM GMT
You can't get too far back and win a Triumph.

Ironically another from the same stable is an exception to that rule.Wink
Report duffy January 27, 2014 2:37 PM GMT
I think she cruised through the race from start to finish, the bigger than expected in-running prices were probably down to the fact she was a bit keen early on throwing her head around quite a bit.
Report shockster January 27, 2014 2:46 PM GMT
The in running price also may have reflected how well Dubai Prince (114 flat horse) appeared to be going turning in. I think she is pretty good.
Report stevo1 January 27, 2014 5:20 PM GMT
Plinth beat current fav and at 20-1 is worth a stab,running Leopardstown next month will find out if good enough to show?
Report marychain1 January 28, 2014 12:33 AM GMT
Have to admit to having my first bet in the race immediately after Pearl Castle won last week at 25/1, was very taken.
Report gutfeeling January 28, 2014 3:59 AM GMT
Fox Norton is Williams number one for this imo.
Report Ramruma January 28, 2014 5:35 AM GMT
Pearl Castle was certainly impressive but beat nothing, and on the bare form must be about two stone shy of winning the Triumph.

Pearl Castle has been given 120+ by the Racing Post handicappers (who think he is a gelding btw so unlikely to get the fillies' allowance).

120+ would need to be an enormous plus + to win the Triumph. Normally you'd be looking at an official mark around 140. (So not quite two stone shy but not far off.)

That said, let's wait to see what the BHA and Timeform handicappers have to say, and also the speed figure boys who are less constrained by what finished behind him. But remember that however visually striking it was, this was a class 4 race worth a mere £3,000. I'll be waiting till he's gone in against better company.
Report shockster January 28, 2014 9:17 AM GMT
Ramruma you are correct of course as it was only a class 4 that Pearl Castle won.  However, she has destroyed the field which included 2 100+ flat horses and a Favourite that was a heavily backed Nicholls French import.  Yes, she has it to prove in a better class of race, but could not have done it any easier.  IMO at the price it's worth a dabble.
Report unclepuncle January 28, 2014 6:05 PM GMT
Le Rocher is the clear form pick so far and 14/1 is a decent price even given the slight doubts about his participation. Put it this way if he were trained by Nichols/Mullins/Henderson he'd be about 5/1 - and Nick Williams is a damn fine trainer imo.
Report unclepuncle January 28, 2014 6:07 PM GMT
^ 14/1 with Sk*bet until midnight (price boost as he is Steve Mellish's Cheltenham tip on RUK)
Report sageform January 28, 2014 6:44 PM GMT
I still think that John Ferguson might have one good enough to win the Triumph but not sure which one.
Report Graeme83 January 28, 2014 6:54 PM GMT
I don't see any 14/1.
Report unclepuncle January 28, 2014 8:00 PM GMT
It was there earlier - I got it from a link on the Sporting Life homepage.
Report Graeme83 January 28, 2014 8:03 PM GMT
I asked them puncle. The special price is down to 12/1. They couldn't even hold a ****g price until midnight, with an offer that's hidden away somewhere on their site. That's them down the bottom of the pecking order.
Report unclepuncle January 28, 2014 8:11 PM GMT
Really is pathetic isn't it.Cry

Sorry for giving you false hope - though I had taken 14/1 just minutes before I posted.
Report Graeme83 January 28, 2014 8:26 PM GMT
Its alright mate, its them and their offers. It was supposed to last until midnight, and the price wasn't even there at around 6pm. They use sportinglife to push their skybet agenda, and don't even keep their offers up. I moved onto 365 instead, and they took a year to answer, and the ****g chat didn't even work. This laptop is going for flying lessons.
Report ACStafford January 28, 2014 9:44 PM GMT
Shocking that they can't hold a price for an antepost runner for a few hours. They really are a joke outfit.
Report BJG January 30, 2014 12:05 PM GMT
The JCB Triumph Hurdle
Class 1, Grade 1, Total Prize Fund £120,000. 1.30pm, Cheltenham, Friday, March 14, 2014. New Course, two miles and one furlong. For juvenile four-year-olds only. Weights: 11st each. Allowances: fillies 7lb. Entries closed Tuesday, January 28, entries revealed Thursday, January 30 (65 entries). Scratchings deadline February 18, six-day confirmation stage Saturday, March 8. Final declaration stage 10am, Thursday, March 13. Form figures supplied by Weatherbys and are correct up to and including the racing of Monday, January 27. May not include some overseas form.

Form  Horse     Owner    Trainer
21  AALIM    Bloomfields    John Ferguson
311  ABBYSSIAL (IRE)   Violet O'Leary    Willie Mullins IRE
ACHTUNG    B Comer    Luke Comer IRE
12  ACTIVIAL (FR)   Potensis Limited   Harry Fry
412  ADEUPAS D'YCY (FR)  Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nicky Henderson
0-631  ADRIANA DES MOTTES (FR) Susannah Ricci   Willie Mullins IRE
AGREEMENT (IRE)   Carl Hinchy    Rebecca Curtis
314321 AKDAM (IRE)   Stephen Louch   Tony Carroll
12  ALCALA (FR)    Andrea & Graham Wylie  Paul Nicholls
011  ALL PEPPER (GER)   Alain Couetil    Willie Mullins IRE
AMORUCCIO (FR)   S A Helaissi    Paul Webber
11120  ART MAURESQUE (FR)  Mrs Johnny de la Hey   Paul Nicholls
351143 ARZEMBOUY PREMIER (FR) Simon Munir/Isaac Souede  Gordon Elliott IRE
3  ASHJAR (FR)   Wicklow Bloodstock Limited  Willie Mullins IRE
4  ASTRUM    Sarah & Wayne Dale   Neil King
2  AURORE D'ESTRUVAL (FR) Carl Hinchy    John Quinn
AUTUN (USA)   P J Martin    Brian Ellison
3-113  AZZA (FR)    Prof Caroline Tisdall   David Pipe
113314 BALLYGLASHEEN (IRE)  R J Gambarini    Evan Williams
61  BARADARI (IRE)   Andrew Brooks   Venetia Williams
2  BROUGHTON (GER)  Bloomfields    John Ferguson
3  BUSHEL (USA)   Bloomfields    John Ferguson
0-12252 CADOUDOFF (FR)   The Four Kings   Charlie Longsdon
21  CALIPTO (FR)   Ian Fogg & Chris Giles  Paul Nicholls
CHERRY TIGER   Ms S Howell    Graeme McPherson
3  CHOCALA (IRE)   High 5     Alan King
22132  CLARCAM (FR)   Gigginstown House Stud  Gordon Elliott IRE
3  COMMISSIONED (IRE)  Bloomfields    John Ferguson
411  DAWALAN (FR)   Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nicky Henderson
410  DUROBLE MAN   McNeill Family    Alan King
ERLKONIG (GER)   Tony Mullins    Tony Mullins IRE
1U21  FORCED FAMILY FUN  The Top Silk Syndicate  John Quinn
1-421  FOX NORTON (FR)   B Dunn    Nick Williams
4-13311 GITANE DU BERLAIS (FR) Simon Munir/Isaac Souede  Willie Mullins IRE
16  GOODWOOD MIRAGE (IRE) Lady Bamford & Alice Bamford Jonjo O'Neill
00  GREATNESS (IRE)   Newtown Anner Stud Farm Ltd Tony Martin IRE
12121  GUITAR PETE (IRE)  Mrs Pat Sloan    Dessie Hughes IRE
23  HALLING'S TREASURE  Gigginstown House Stud  Gordon Elliott IRE
112  HANDIWORK   C Johnstone    Steve Gollings
121  HAWK HIGH (IRE)   Trevor Hemmings   Tim Easterby
HAWKER    Bloomfields    John Ferguson
3  HENRY HIGGINS (IRE)  John McManus   Charles O'Brien IRE
2342  INDIAN ICON (FR)   Seamus Dunne   Dessie Hughes IRE
21  IVAN GROZNY (FR)  Andrea & Graham Wylie  Willie Mullins IRE
2-41222 KENTUCKY HYDEN (IRE)  Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nicky Henderson
U-11011 LE ROCHER (FR)   John White & Anne Underhill  Nick Williams
2121  LINDENHURST (IRE)  D Kierans    John McConnell IRE
1P  MEMBEROF (FR)   Simon Munir & Mr Isaac Souede Alan King
1  MUHTARIS (IRE)   Bloomfields    John Ferguson
1222  NOBLE INN (FR)   M J Mulvaney    Willie Mullins IRE
13  ORGILGO BAY (IRE)  D Kierans    John McConnell IRE
31  PEARL CASTLE (IRE)  Mr & Mrs Paul Gaffney  John Quinn
1  PLINTH (IRE)   J P McManus    Aidan O'Brien IRE
24  POWDER HOUND   Gigginstown House Stud  Noel Meade IRE
1113  ROYAL IRISH HUSSAR (IRE) Triermore Stud   Nicky Henderson
2  ROYAL SKIES (IRE)  Bloomfields    John Ferguson
111  RUTHERGLEN   The Beer Swigging Strangers John Quinn
5  SPACE SHIP    Bill Hennessy    Robert Hennessy IRE
STREAK    Mrs H Mullins    Thomas Mullins IRE
SUNBLAZER (IRE)   Kim Bailey    Kim Bailey
322  THE BROCK AGAIN   F Duvivier    Yannick Fouin FR
0  THE PLAN MAN (IRE)  Gigginstown House Stud  Tony Martin IRE
1  TIGER ROLL (IRE)   Gigginstown House Stud  Gordon Elliott IRE
121413 VICENZO MIO (FR)   Mrs Johnny de la Hey   Paul Nicholls
113  VIOLET DANCER  D Bessell & Galloping On The South Downs Gary Moore 

65 entries
24 Irish-trained
1 French-trained
Report Denman The Destroyer January 30, 2014 1:22 PM GMT
Who is All pepper of Willie Mullins,cannot find any form for it.
Report x20 January 30, 2014 1:35 PM GMT
Pity Thomas Hobson never made it.
Report Ramruma January 31, 2014 7:21 AM GMT
Who is All pepper of Willie Mullins,cannot find any form for it.

Typing his name into the Racing Post's search box finds him winning a £7k race at Nantes.
Report THE LEGEND February 2, 2014 7:20 PM GMT
Broughton..put. in an improved performance today.
should.be in the shake up....wasnt pressed too hard today
Report Biscar Two from a mile back February 4, 2014 1:20 PM GMT
Pearl Castle is a he shirley
Report shockster February 4, 2014 2:09 PM GMT
Don't think so Biscar.  Think we c0cked up earlier in the thread as was getting an age allowance not sex allowance at Donny last time. Shocked
Report Graeme83 February 4, 2014 2:41 PM GMT
Plain ^^^^
Report Govan Spoonful February 4, 2014 3:46 PM GMT
Pearl Castle is a 4-y-0 bay GELDING. (Sorry for shouting!)
Report sintonian February 9, 2014 1:40 PM GMT
Ivan Grozny could only manage 4th today, found practically zero for pressure which was really surprising given he was last off the bridle. Guitar Pete might just be the type for this race given he is battled hardened and has decent form.

Pleased with the run of Calipto yesterday though. Still improving nicely and looks laid out for the race by PFN.
Report duffy February 9, 2014 1:43 PM GMT
Disappointing from IG, I didn't think he was keen as fitzy said, jumped ok apart from the 2nd last but was flat from then on in...no excuses.
Report GI MAC February 9, 2014 1:59 PM GMT
Royal Irish Hussar is the horse to back after that race today, if u can forgive his last run, which was too bad to be true.
Report Ramruma February 9, 2014 2:08 PM GMT
Guitar Pete has been the most fluent hurdler we've seen either side of the Irish Sea, and not just in this race.

Is 12/1 value? So far there has been no bet-compelling juvenile hurdler (as Zarkandar and Our Conor were, for instance). Maybe something will emerge from the Adonis. If not, 12/1 e/w for the top Irish contender might start to look interesting if not tempting.
Report ReaseHeath February 17, 2014 2:16 PM GMT
Nicholls has entered Alcala - yet to race for him - in the Adonis on Saturday, won the race in recent years with Irish Saint and Zarkandar off the top of my head...Zarkandar also debuted for the stable in this race.

He spoke highly of the horse in his pre season stable tour albeit as future chaser mainly...but in mould of Far West.

Could be a lot shorter than 33s come Saturday night.

Should point out he's also entered Solar Impulse who disappointed at Chepstow over Christmas.
Report Denman The Destroyer February 17, 2014 3:29 PM GMT
Mullins has the very promising Adriana Des Mottes and the mysterious All Pepper entered in a grade 2 at fairyhouse on saturday plus a couple of others ,Plinth is entered too.
Report marychain1 February 17, 2014 5:52 PM GMT
Considering the Triumph winner has come from the Adonis twice lately, there's every chance that the market is in for a bit of a shakeup. There's a few interesting looking runners in the Adonis, and most have Triumph entries as you'd expect. Nicholls has two, Ferguson and Harry Fry have one each and Pearl Castle lines up. Interesting that Henderson doesn't enter anything. He's been quiet lately.
Report shockster February 18, 2014 12:51 PM GMT
Pearl Castle is declared at Doncaster tomorrow instead of Adonis.  Looked very impressive last time.
Report nellers February 19, 2014 3:09 PM GMT
Is Pearl Castle good enough to win Triumph? Is it definitely going for the race?
Report shockster February 19, 2014 3:14 PM GMT
Pearl Castle was boxed in on the bend and made mistakes at 3 and 2 out and still gave 2nd 7lb and comfortable beating. Race looked less impressive but will jump better at Chelt with stronger pace. I would think they'd have to go for Triumph, but still in the Supreme also.

I thought todays race was far more comfortable than it looked but was maybe seeing the race through my pocket. I'm confident he'll be in the shake up next month.
Report nellers February 19, 2014 3:17 PM GMT
Yeah, that's a fair assessment Shockster and I agree with your review. I also think it may be better on a quicker surface so come Cheltenham, perhaps it will be in the shake up.
Report shockster February 19, 2014 4:00 PM GMT
PEARL CASTLE emerged from his JCB Triumph Hurdle preparation run at Doncaster with reputation intact, but he had to work harder for victory than odds of 4-6 suggested.

Pearl Castle was best-priced 16-1 for the Triumph before his run. That was still widely available after an unspectacular victory, although some firms did trim the winner's festival odds.

Trained by John Quinn, who won the Triumph in 2012 with Countrywide Flame, he made a minor blunder three from home, nodding on landing, but recovered well to stay with the leaders and was then driven clear of Zamoyski and Ronaldinho after the last.

Owner Paul Gaffney said: "My heart is still going 220 plus at the moment but he recovered well. He has got flat speed and Brian [Hughes] gave him a great ride, hands and heels only.

"He is still learning and he just keeps getting better. I am pleased with the win, he is home safely and will go to Cheltenham now I guess."
Report duffy February 19, 2014 5:07 PM GMT
I liked the run today also, before today I wondered whether it could be a flat track easy cruiser type that might not find under pressure (based on no real evidence admittedly) today though the horse had to knuckle down and fight and did so....and I think was far superior come the end...the distance between them flatters the other horses.
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 19, 2014 5:42 PM GMT
The nice thing about Pearl Castle is that he clearly has that high cruising speed need to keep your position or get you back into on which he did today.  Having said all that, his jumping will need to be better as he wont get the chance to recover like he did today against the calibre of horse he will meet, especially stayers and battlers like Le Rocher.
Report nellers February 19, 2014 5:45 PM GMT
Yep, quite a few things went against it today but it still won and was well on top in the end without having a hard race. I wouldn't want to be on anything else at this stage.
Report Ramruma February 20, 2014 9:10 AM GMT
I'm not sharing the love for Pearl Castle who beat trees yesterday and in his previous races. It is not out of the question that he can win the Triumph, especially on faster ground, but there is no real formbook evidence and we are left to judge (or guess) based on his pedigree, flat race form, and how confident connections look in the paddock.

Though to be fair, that applies to most of the rest of the field. Maybe a star will emerge from the Adonis.
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 20, 2014 4:00 PM GMT
Pearl Castle lay bet is out to 890 on here....something wrong???, anyone?
Report Ramruma February 20, 2014 7:41 PM GMT
Fred Winter?
Report shockster February 20, 2014 10:13 PM GMT
Trainer has said Pearl Castle will not run if it is soft. Needs decent ground said Doncaster was a bit tacky for him.
Report ReaseHeath February 21, 2014 9:38 PM GMT
The Grade 2s at Fairyhouse and Kempton within 40 minutes of each other remain potentially interesting.

Plinth tries again at Fairyhouse with Mullins running all three of his, Ruby has opted for Adriana Des Mottes who has the same sire as Sprinter Sacre amongst others - just wonder if the fact they're running three means they have n't quite finalized the rethink he talked about after Ivan Grozny's defeat at Leopardstown.

With regard to the Adonis, Nicholls now stating that Calipto will be his only runner in the Triumph unless Alcala wins here - he should have a line on Activial with Calipto and also runs Solar Impulse - does n't scream overwhelming confidence in Alcala.

In other news, the Rebecca Curtis runner Agreement in the Adonis catches the eye as well, but them again looks like AOB kept Plinth and sold this one so maybe not!

I'm just confusing myself now - hope we see at least one impressive contender emerge tomorrow, hopefully more!
Report marychain1 February 21, 2014 10:19 PM GMT
Abbyssial and Alcala winning tomorrow would do wonders for my ap book in this
Report Ramruma February 21, 2014 10:51 PM GMT
Plinth tries again at Fairyhouse with Mullins running all three of his

Plinth runs but AP McCoy prefers to stay at home for Goodwood Mirage in the Adonis.
Report marychain1 February 22, 2014 1:33 PM GMT
Market not as impressed with Abbyssial as I was, thought that was excellent. Led all the way, successfully gave weight to ADM. Looked like there will be loads more to come as well.
Report ReaseHeath February 22, 2014 1:33 PM GMT
nice performance by Abbysial - Adriana's a girl of course (clue's in the name) so winner gave her 7lb - not sure she quite wanted to go through with her effort.

Bemused now by support for All Pepper in the week - Mullins said he does n't work great, ran a shocker, not very big and nothing in his pedigree - he's off the list anyway.
Report Ibrahima Sonko February 22, 2014 2:11 PM GMT
Good form franking of Calipto Love
Report ReaseHeath February 22, 2014 2:14 PM GMT
true - very few holes in Calipto form but they clearly think Activial has improved a lot from Newbury.
Report Harvester February 22, 2014 3:49 PM GMT
and Le Rocher's form now looking very hot..
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 22, 2014 6:18 PM GMT
Really....do you think that was a quality race today??....i have my doubts, no depth in quality. Activial won nicely yes, but trainer said not certain to go, Jockey got off and said not necessarily a Triumph horse.  The second was soundly beaten by Kentucky Hayden which was soundly beaten by Le Rocher.  All in all the Le Rocher form is looking much better.  Add Barry Geraghty's comments after running on Guitar Pete (he stated the best Juvenile this season so far, he felt, was Le Rocher).  I see that Nicholls in the Exeter preview was talking about Calipto when he said ' I am confident of a good run but he prefers the softer ground" )which of course is highly possible but it did not have that twinkle in his eye.
Report Harvester February 22, 2014 8:16 PM GMT
I agree sheriff.. Le rocher's form more enhanced than calipto's by today's race.
Report ReaseHeath February 22, 2014 9:04 PM GMT
Noel Fehily ain't ridden a Triumph winner but Barry Geraghty has ridden three!

Just saying...

I'm surprised they're not certain to go with Activial, visually very good at least, trainer said Adonis had been the target since Newbury - why would you not go? There will be 24 in the Fred Winter and the Aintree race just does n't carry the same prestige.

I suppose there';s some merit in an argument that he's a young horse who had a hard enough race in testing ground less than 3 weeks before the Triumph, and the Aintree race comes about another 3 weeks after that, he'd have a good chance of beating up the horses who did run in the Triumph at Aintree I suppose.
Report Ibrahima Sonko February 22, 2014 9:12 PM GMT
Dont believe what you hear or read.

The horse has has been aimed at this since newbury, dont forget it is trained by pn junior and owned by a people that want runners at cheltenham.

the triumph is already a 4 horse race.
Report differentdrum February 23, 2014 9:42 AM GMT
This kind of 'we will miss Cheltenham' talk appears to be on the increase. There was nothing in that performance which would suggest he would be better off skipping Cheltenham and going to Aintree. After the race his trainer was emphasising how he was a jump-bred. Well, where are you more likely to run into flat-breds? Time for a rethink I would have thought.
Report GI MAC February 23, 2014 10:06 AM GMT
Same owners who bought Lac Fontana to win the Triumph last season, same reason they bought Activial this season and they obviously have a much better chance to win the race, I'd be very surprised if he did not run.
Report Tascro February 23, 2014 10:50 AM GMT
any word about goodwood mirage after? triumph or fred winter? thanks
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 23, 2014 11:08 AM GMT
I agree differentdrum..... but I think Harry Fry is a different breed of trainer.  He is very definite and calculated....if he does not feel it is the right race his advice would be not to run him. The noises after the race were not to discount the race but were certainly reserved at best if not informing people to be cautious.  Saying what they have said ought to be applauded as it allows us, the punter to make choices.....unlike some trainers (Mullins).  Personally I feel that on the performance he gave he deserves to run, I don't think he is the winner based on that.....but Fry seems to be fast becoming a great trainer so lets see.
Report wellchief February 23, 2014 11:23 AM GMT
I have an absolutely dreadful record in this race.  Since I've been going to Cheltenham in 2007, these have been my bets:

2007 - Katchit; WON!!!
2008 - Franchoek; LOST to Celestial Halo
2009 - Walkon; LOST to Zaynar
2010 - Olofi; LOST to Soldatino
2011 - Sam Winner; LOST to Zarkandar
2012 - Balder Succes; LOST to Countrywide Flame
2013 - Rolling Star; LOST to Our Conor.

That's a bigger losing streak than Mad Moose!  What will be my selection this year??? I don't know yet, but for your sake, if I back your selection, I would be laying off my stake pretty sharpish Laugh
Report wellchief February 23, 2014 11:48 AM GMT
Looking at the Mullins entries in this race, they are all pretty unfancied.  Last time there was an unfancied Mullins and Walsh combination at the Festival, Briar Hill hosed up in the bumper!

Abbyssial - 20's with Bookies; 43 on here.  Fred Winter maybe, but I'd like to see him line up in this.
Adriana Des Mottes - 25's
All Pepper - 40's
Gitane Du Berlais - 20's (but well beaten by Guitar Pete previously)
Ivan Grozny - 25's with bookies and 60 on here - seemed pretty downhearted after last run
Noble Inn - You can name your price

So it looks like it may be Adriana Des Mottes and Gitande Due Berlais if the betting is anything to go by, but I think Abbyssial could be his best hope.
Report Ramruma February 23, 2014 11:54 AM GMT
@wellchief -- Gitane du Berlais was due to miss Cheltenham in favour of France, though recently Mullinsologists have detected signs of a rethink.

The thread title remains -- after all the trials on both sides of the Irish Sea, we are none the wiser and nor are connections.
Report ReaseHeath February 23, 2014 11:54 AM GMT
^ will any of those even run?
Report wellchief February 23, 2014 11:58 AM GMT
No idea mate!  As mentioned, I have a bad losing streak in this, so not a race I look to get particularly involved in.  I'm sure he'll have at least one runner; but with Gitane and Ivan both being beat by Guitar Pete, I can't back either of them; so that only leaves Abbyssial for me (but haven't heard any interviews with connections after yesterdays race as to his target).
Report ReaseHeath February 23, 2014 12:04 PM GMT
Gary O'Brien seemed to think Triumph was not necessarily on the agenda for Abbyssial but, as you say, no word from connections that I'm aware of.

I'm not involved either, will leave it until the day now - especially as the Fred Winter earlier in the week might provide some more clues as to the strengths of the formlines.

I can see why people like Le Rocher but the ground on the Friday is another unknown at this stage obviously.
Report sintonian February 25, 2014 7:54 AM GMT
I put a line through all WPM's Triumph horses when Analifet was injured. She was their No.1.
Report shockster March 6, 2014 3:52 PM GMT
Activial drifting like a barge.  Not looking good.
Report thelegend March 6, 2014 4:52 PM GMT
its prob drifting due to ground drying out.id say it wont run which is a pity
Report terrible tenant March 6, 2014 8:08 PM GMT
off to Aintree?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com