Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Joist
27 Feb 13 12:05
| Topic/replies: 1,462 | Blogger: Joist's blog
Apologies if there is already a thread, I must have missed it.

Salsify looks the proverbial good thing here, however I wanted to ask whether anyone knew of any reason for Tricky Trickster's defeat last time out? He's v. interesting imo, but wondered if anything has come to light. I can only assume the heavy ground didn't really suit him?

Thanks
Show More
Report BJG February 27, 2013 12:09 PM GMT
THE CGA FOXHUNTER CHASE CHALLENGE CUP
Class 2, Total Prize Fund £35,000. 4.00pm, Friday, March 15, 2013,3m 2f. 110yds. PTP FORM NOT INCLUDED
Form Horse Age Owner Trainer
P/5000/P- BACKSTAGE (FR) 11 MPR & Capranny Syndicate Gordon Elliott IRE
U2-UP6 BENEDICTUS (IRE) 8 R W Humphreys Jane Western
40000-5 BOXING ALONG (IRE) 9 L Halley Vincent Halley IRE
30/123-1 CHAPOTURGEON (FR) 9 David Johnson & Paul Nicholls Richard Barber
2161-30 CLOUDY LANE 13 Trevor Hemmings Donald McCain
122-102 COOMBE HILL 12 G Thompson Charlotte Tizzard
20P411 COTTAGE OAK (IRE) 10 R J Hewitt John O'Shea
16-1 CREEVYTENNANT (IRE) 9 Mrs P Duncan Fergal O'Brien
F-212 CURRENT EXCHANGE (IRE) 8 Alastair Crow Sheila Crow
12//15/2-1 DANTE'S STORM 11 I M Cobbold Alan Hill
1112-1F DIVINE INTAVENTION (IRE) 9 H Wilson Francesca Moller
1 DOCTOR KINGSLEY 11 Pauline Harkin Pauline Harkin
3/3001-0 EARTH DREAM (IRE) 10 The Bloomfields Partnership John Ferguson
6P//B-51P EQUUS MAXIMUS (IRE) 13 Greenstar Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
22/01P6- FAASEL (IRE) 12 John Heard John Heard
613/PP/P- GALANT NUIT (FR) 9 Ferdy Murphy Rees Morgan Murphy
0P/00P-6 HOOPY (IRE) 11 John Earls Gordon Elliott IRE
P256P-2 KANESH (IRE) 10 Brendan Sweeney Mark Fagan IRE
4-FFPP3 KEENAN'S FUTURE (IRE) 12 Stephen Rea Stephen Rea
101 KIRKLEIGH 8 Mrs S M Trump Robert Chanin
32/PP-1P LOUIS PASTEUR (IRE) 8 Dick Bleathman Dan Drake
110-33P MERCHANT ROYAL (IRE) 9 Patrick Joseph McCartan David Christie IRE
PP0////-52 METAL DETECTOR (IRE) 16 Sarah Rippon Sarah Rippon
33/P1U-4 OFFSHORE ACCOUNT (IRE) 13 N Sutton Tracey Bailey
3/031-20 OSCAR DELTA (IRE) 10 Ms K O'Driscoll Jimmy Mangan IRE
24061F- PRESENTANDCORRECT (IRE) 12 Mr & Mrs Tim Sage Tim Sage
1PPP-11 RADETSKY MARCH (IRE) 10 Mrs S Gorringe Smith & C Duckett Sally Duckett
/340P////- RAINBOW TREE 13 Mrs K R Smith-Maxwell Alexandra Dunn
P-4P032 RATHCOR 11 Stephen Rea Stephen Rea
2B/1/U42- ROULEZ COOL 10 Robert Waley-Cohen Robert Waley-Cohen
11-4142 RUMBURY GREY 10 Mrs C M Rogers Steve Flook
1F-1221 SALSIFY (IRE) 8 Joan Sweeney Rodger Sweeney IRE
1-11122 TAMMYS HILL (IRE) 8 Patrick Smyth Liam Lennon IRE
0/31-121 THAT'S RHYTHM (FR) 13 Nicholas Wakefield Sally Duckett
0/P5F/-12 TRICKY TRICKSTER (IRE) 10 Chris Giles Paul Nicholls
1PP//6/5-6 UP THERE (IRE) 12 Mrs Rae Jones Nicky Sheppard
0R4-663 VIC VENTURI (IRE) 13 S W Dunn Stephen Rea
025/P-12 WHAT A LAUGH 8 R P Davies-Cooke Gary Hanmer
1/22-234 WHIZZAAR 13 J F Symes Miss Kayley Jones
39 entries
9 Irish-trained
Report Joist February 27, 2013 12:10 PM GMT
Cheers BJG!
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 27, 2013 12:11 PM GMT
I would be interested to know if Backstage and Faasel are intended runners in this.
Report judorick February 27, 2013 1:00 PM GMT
ta!

don't back anything older than 10 years old - you heard it here
Report HaylingBilly February 27, 2013 3:58 PM GMT
Got a mate who is big into the Hunters scene. Picked the winner out last three years. Reckons Cottage Oak is the one to be on this year. 3 out of 3 aint bad.........but it might be luck. If its luck then he is a lot luckier than me ! Grin
Report Sultan February 27, 2013 7:36 PM GMT
3-1 Salsify and 5-1 Chapoturgeon look to have the race sewn up. 11-8 the pair combined looks value to me as they seem be have a fair bit in hand of the rest. Salsify has been running on ground softer than ideal and will probably improve a few pounds for the better ground at Cheltenham. Chapoturgeon was very impressive at Newbury and has previously won one of the handicaps at the festival. Only 1 length between them last year
Report Joist February 27, 2013 7:40 PM GMT
I don't know whether it's justified or not but I can't shake the thought in the back of my head, that Chapoturgeon is a hound of the highest order. I could be doing the horse a disservice though.
Report BJG February 27, 2013 7:42 PM GMT
Salsify v hard to beat

Chapo will prob trade odds on ir but dont think he'll win

Tricky Trickster v overpriced of the rest, run on horrid ground lto can b ignored
Report judorick February 27, 2013 7:47 PM GMT
Salsify & Kirkleigh hit all the important trends and are two of the youngest of the fancied horses which has been a successful angle
Report Joist February 27, 2013 7:49 PM GMT
Thoughts RE Cottage Oak, BJG?
Report BJG February 27, 2013 7:53 PM GMT
Know some1 that loves him - i missed the fancy prices after eying up the 40 odd for so long and never knew he was runnnin lto and missed it! So cant back at current odds

Not sure wat he beat but he could nt have done it any easier

Av backed Salsify and Tricky and will b absolutely astonished if anythin outside the top 5 in the market on here wins, dont think the race has the depth of previous years
Report judorick February 27, 2013 7:58 PM GMT
oppose former handicappers
oppose horses aged 11 or older
oppose horses that did not start their life in PTP racing
oppose any that have not won under rules
oppose any that did not win last time
Report Arklearkle February 27, 2013 9:50 PM GMT
Like Joist I have always seen Chapoturgeon in similar light and would never back him to win anything. With any sort of decent ground I reckon Salsify to be a good thing and would consider him to be one of the best bets of the meeting although his odds are now becoming skimpy enough. The jockey worries me with his waiting tactics on this horse as he seems to believe he can win from way back. Not good for the heart.
Report the yomper February 28, 2013 12:25 PM GMT
I,d like to throw one into the ring at an e-way price.Galant Nuit a nine year old with a bit of cheltenham form.
Report Roger The Butler March 1, 2013 10:20 AM GMT
10/1 4th favourite looks like possibly missing the Foxhunters...

Trainer Liam Lennon admits Tammys Hill faces a "race against time" to be ready for the CGA Foxhunter Chase at Cheltenham after suffering an injury when beaten at Fairyhouse.

Tammys Hill was an odds-on favourite to get back on the winning trail last Saturday but suffered a shock defeat at the hands of Warne, after which connections discovered he had suffered a pulled muscle.

Lennon said: "He pulled a muscle in his shoulder, which basically explains why he was jumping out to his left.
"The physiotherapist has been to have a look at him and we hope we're still on track for Cheltenham, but we haven't made any definite decisions.
"We'll have to decide before too long. We'll get a saddle on him on Saturday and James (Smyth, rider) will know better what sort of shape he's in then.
"He's been so good for most of the season and every horse is entitled to have one bad run. It's not the end of the world.
"We certainly haven't written him off just yet and the main thing we want to do is get him fresh and well.
"It is a bit of a race against time to get him to Cheltenham.
"We're hopeful he'll make it at this stage but if the back man isn't happy with him, he obviously won't go.
"If he's not ready for Cheltenham, he could go for something like the Irish Grand National."
Report unclepuncle March 1, 2013 3:19 PM GMT
Looks a two horse race (said that before mindCry) and having just watched last years renewal again they are very hard to split. I reckon they should be about 5/2 jf, so at the prices I've lumped on Chapo @ 5/1 with a stakes saver on Salsify.
Report differentdrum March 1, 2013 3:39 PM GMT
No doubt plenty backed both Salsify and Tammy's Hill at double figure odds and they could easily have finished one-two. Crazy decision to run Tammy's Hill again and looks as if they have paid the penalty.
Report Arklearkle March 1, 2013 6:09 PM GMT
Cant understand why they went to the well again so soon. On goodish ground would have very little chance of beating Salsify (imo only) but a good horse all the same.
Report Dan Chipowski March 1, 2013 6:28 PM GMT
"We certainly haven't written him off just yet and the main thing we want to do is get him fresh and well.

Fk did you run him for then? Mischief
Report sickoflayinwinners March 1, 2013 6:47 PM GMT
cottage oak , bound to run well , jumps fast an dwell , will be riden proninently (probably in the 1st half doz) so less chance of bad luck in running . id be surprised if it doeant go close
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 2, 2013 12:20 AM GMT
Trainer Liam Lennon admits Tammys Hill faces a "race against time" to be ready for the CGA Foxhunter Chase at Cheltenham after suffering an injury when beaten at Fairyhouse.
Tammys Hill was an odds-on favourite to get back on the winning trail last Saturday but suffered a shock defeat at the hands of Warne, after which connections discovered he had suffered a pulled muscle.

Lennon said: "He pulled a muscle in his shoulder, which basically explains why he was jumping out to his left.
"The physiotherapist has been to have a look at him and we hope we're still on track for Cheltenham, but we haven't made any definite decisions.

"We'll have to decide before too long. We'll get a saddle on him on Saturday and James (Smyth, rider) will know better what sort of shape he's in then.

"He's been so good for most of the season and every horse is entitled to have one bad run. It's not the end of the world.

"It is a bit of a race against time to get him to Cheltenham.
"We're hopeful he'll make it at this stage but if the back man isn't happy with him, he obviously won't go.
"If he's not ready for Cheltenham, he could go for something like the Irish Grand National."
Report fearless punter March 2, 2013 5:52 AM GMT
will be riden proninently (probably in the 1st half doz) so less chance of bad luck in running . id be surprised if it doeant go close

THIS IS THE GREATEST EVER READ OF AN UPCOMING RACE
Report sickoflayinwinners March 2, 2013 5:05 PM GMT
FP, YOU DONT THINK LUCK IN RUNNING WILL MATTER I THE FOXHUNTERS?i think im just pointing out  that  the fact hell be up with the leaders and avoid fallers is a reasonable point.no doubt there will be a few looneys going too fast, i think  the horse being an uncomplicated ride is relevant (you may think different), i wasnt trying to work out where all the horses ill be  at each stahge ofthe race. i havent stated i think the horsde is a certainty, i just said i think its my idea of the bet bet of the meeting.i9m struggling to see the point of your post to be frank.to be even franker im struggling to see the point of you.
Report Sultan March 10, 2013 7:44 PM GMT
Still keen on the front 2 . Wonder if the ground will be too soft for Salsify. Interesting what the time asessed going is on Tuesday
Report muzza88 March 10, 2013 7:49 PM GMT
Salsify one of my bets of the week. Wouldn't get too involved at the prices now though because of concerns about the ground. Think/hope should have enought though!
Report stevo1 March 10, 2013 8:43 PM GMT
Not a lot to beat imo,would prefer better ground but has won on soft.
Report Gordon63 March 10, 2013 9:44 PM GMT
i fancy radetsky march - can any PTP followers provide me with confidence in Mr S Drinkwater?
Report Roger The Butler March 11, 2013 9:26 AM GMT
Am on Salsify but was not expecting soft ground come Friday. It can still be done, but is far from ideal for him. Don't think it does his main rival Chapoturgeon any favours either as I have doubts about that one's stamina, and suspect it will inconvenience him more than Salsify. May well bring Salsify back into range for a few of the bigger priced horses though.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com