Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Shakepseare's Sheriff
07 Feb 13 10:29
| Topic/replies: 302 | Blogger: Shakepseare's Sheriff's blog
Due to the weather some of the 'professional' horses struggling to get out and be qualified.  So far I have liked the look of Tammy's Hill (a bit obvious I know) but beaten last years winner twice already this season and looks decent.  Having said that I do know Sybarite is going down this route now and I really liked the horse last few years but never quite reached the heights I think was expected, and with NTD training him should be in with a shout.

Anyone out there with some decent knowledge of what is happening on the point to point scene here and in Ireland.  The only news I heard from a friend who went to watch one was that Chapoturgeon won a week or so ago and look very good indeed and he has already bet on him......should I follow?
Pause Switch to Standard View Foxhunters.......any thoughts
Show More
Report stevo1 February 7, 2013 10:41 AM GMT
Last years winner Salsify will go close given good/soft or good conditions,doesnt like heavy re 2 runs this season out on Saturday in decent race at Leopardstown. Chapoturgeon was 2nd to Salsify last season at Festival and given conditions in Salsifys favour wont turn form round as never won over distance.
Report Slabster February 7, 2013 11:04 AM GMT
A very good race in prospect at Leopardstown on Saturday, with the likes of Tammy's Hill, Salsify, Swift Counsel and Mossey Joe running.
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 8, 2013 11:16 AM GMT
Slabster.....that is interesting....Mossey Joe promised to be a good horse and in fairness ran well in very good company
Report stevo1 February 10, 2013 11:19 AM GMT
Good performance by Salsify on ground he doesnt like,take all beating on good,good/soft at Festival.
Report kelami February 10, 2013 11:41 AM GMT
Has anybody got information about On The Fringe? Thought he would've been out by now. Injured is he?
Report workrider February 10, 2013 2:16 PM GMT
i was there yesterday and backed salsify , i thought he was beat after the last ..but he showed real tenacity to fight back and get his head in front of a horse that had beaten him twice already his season , i'd say hes ready to rock and roll now , plus if the ground turns in his favor he'll be very hard to beat at cheltenham ...
Report workrider February 10, 2013 2:16 PM GMT
i was there yesterday and backed salsify , i thought he was beat after the last ..but he showed real tenacity to fight back and get his head in front of a horse that had beaten him twice already his season , i'd say hes ready to rock and roll now , plus if the ground turns in his favor he'll be very hard to beat at cheltenham ...
Report stormey1 February 10, 2013 4:44 PM GMT
Im very keen on Salsify to win again at the Festival and a point which i think im right in saying is that he will be 8lb better off with Tammys Hill compared to the 3times theyve met this season.
Report stormey1 February 10, 2013 4:52 PM GMT
Just to explain the 8lb pull Salsify has carried 11st 11lb less the jockeys 3lb claim so actually had 11 8 on back.
Tammys Hill has had 11 7 less jockeys 7lb claim so actually had 11st.
At the Festival they will race off level weights.
Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong!
Report jimmy777 February 10, 2013 4:56 PM GMT
Anyone fancy Tricky Trickster??
Report flyingbolt February 10, 2013 5:02 PM GMT
A possibility,Jimmy.
I think he needs to finish in the first 2 in another Hunter Chase to qualify so presumably he will be out again soon.
Report jimmy777 February 10, 2013 5:11 PM GMT
Hope so, after that fall at Uttoxeter I never thought i'd see him run again
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 13, 2013 10:28 AM GMT
Just looking through possible runners in this.... Does anyone have knowledge if Faasel is an intended runner.  Good record at Cheltenham in the past but is getting on now (12yrs) but still highly rated.  Nicky Richards does not send many to Cheltenham and just wandering if Aintree was his target.
Report stevo1 February 13, 2013 10:32 AM GMT
Salsify is the winner as stated before given his ground preference.
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 13, 2013 10:45 AM GMT
Ground preference he wont get....he likes good ground.  The ground at the Trials day was heavy.  The ground is rarely better than one notch upwards (i.e. soft if it was heavy at trial, good-soft if soft at trials etc) the best the ground will be, given the water table and weather we have, is good-soft and soft
Report Roger The Butler February 13, 2013 11:14 AM GMT
That's far too simplistic. Yes it went from Good to soft to good between Trials Day and Festival Day 1 last year, but that included millions of gallons of watering being put on for that 'one notch' to be maintained. Simon Claisse will not want the ground softer than good to soft on Day 1 so unless the weather intervenes and forces that outcome, he will just not water with an aim of getting good to soft (or good, good to soft in places) on Day 1. If that is the case it should be good by Friday for the Foxhunters.
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 13, 2013 11:23 AM GMT
well....we will of course see....but dont live far away and my father in law works there......I tell you it looks as thos it will be soft !!
Report shockster February 13, 2013 11:41 AM GMT
Is Mossey Joe qualified?  Good horse on decent ground.
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 13, 2013 3:19 PM GMT
Mossey Joe not qualified yet
Report ShannonSpray February 18, 2013 10:58 PM GMT
Tricky Trixter came second at the weekend so I presume he's now in. Any reason for the drift in Tammy Hill's price?
Report Shakepseare's Sheriff February 19, 2013 6:35 PM GMT
Does anyone have any news on whether Faasel is an intended runner??
Report ShannonSpray March 1, 2013 9:31 PM GMT
With today's announcement about doubts about Tammy Hill's participation, I wonder why they took nearly two weeks to announce it? The price started drifting ages ago.
Report casual March 1, 2013 9:40 PM GMT
think that tammys price started to drift when salsify beat him (her?) last time out - always a doubt on better ground that tammys would be better. Salsify a worthy favourite as still young compared to many of these and experience will do them good as colman sweeney almost came off rounding the top bend last year.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com