Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
wellcometomoirasdrivethru
03 Jan 12 15:58
| Topic/replies: 147 | Blogger: wellcometomoirasdrivethru's blog
What you guys think 6/4 antepost my view is if she goes she wins..Any opinions??
Show More
Report buddeliea February 2, 2012 8:36 PM GMT
Well shes won the Mares race at chelt the last few years,and a couple of 3m hurdle races in Ireland,not sure that makes her phenomenal myself.
Report buddeliea February 2, 2012 8:44 PM GMT
I should add that i dont mean to knock her,just that i would like to see her in more competitive races against the top horses around.
Report Fallen Angel February 2, 2012 9:02 PM GMT
@buddelia, I understand what you are saying about the bare form. However when she spanked Mourad last time out I thought it was a truely top class performance. I read an interview where Mullins stated he would rather mop up the Mares Hurdle with her rather than maybe run for place money behind big bucks. Winners at Cheltenham are always special. If Big Bucks had got injured this season I am in no doubt she would be heading to the world hurdle where I would make her a big runner in a race without BB.

I think 159 is a good 7/8 pounds below her top potential. We may never know though
Report horse9 February 2, 2012 9:40 PM GMT
People may knock Quevega's form but the reality is that she's head and shoulders above every other Mare and they now run scared of her.
VLV can't get near her but she's won 12 of her 21 races and got some notable scalps in her locker as well as running the likes of H Fly and Solwhit close on several occasions, Carole's Legacy rab away from her at last years festival and took the easier option of the old W Hill chase - she carried 11st 5lb and got to within half a length of Bensalem (giving him 3lb) and they came very close to sticking that one in the Gold Cup so highly thought of is he.
You could argue that she should have had a Champion Hurdle tilt in her time but she could easily re-write the record books and rack up half a dozen festival wins, I can't criticise the owners for taking the same sex option and to be fair if you can back her at odds against 6 weeks before the race then this is surely a gift from heaven !
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 2, 2012 11:29 PM GMT
I am in no doubt whatsoever that just like the last 3 years she will be a bigger price on the day than she will be antepost 6 weeks before the event!
Report tomdeane February 3, 2012 12:23 AM GMT
Fallen Angel - I agree completely about the 159 being below her ability. Was looking at the main contenders in depth the other day and saw 159 and thought that just screamed out as being too low. Obviously the bare form does not entitle her to be bigger than that but I too think she's a monster.

Put it this way, from a value perspective, I'd rather back her at 5/4 to beat Unaccompanied and Voler La Vedette (one of both might not turn up either), than either Hurricane Fly at Evs to beat a stack of smart horses rated within 7-8lb, or Big Buck's at 4/6 to beat Oscar Whisky. Just think Quevega could run 7-8lb below form and win, whereas the same is not true for the other two.
Report buddeliea February 3, 2012 7:45 AM GMT
Maybe she will have a go at the Aintree Hurdle this year,that would be good i reckon,and give her the chance to beat CHurdle types.
Think she deserves that,and i for one would love to see it.
Report Hurricane Run February 3, 2012 11:27 AM GMT
Seathestars - what makes you think that Quevega will be bigger than 5/4 on the day?? I would be stunned if she is not odds on (if she gets there).
There are 3 mares in training that are head and shoulders (and i mean stones) ahead of the rest.
There were decent reasons why Quevega was a longer price in previous years:
In 2009 we barely knew her (2/1)
In 2010 (6/4) there were doubts about her wellbeing and she was facing a mare rated 5 lbs better than her (VLV)
In 2011 (5/6) she faced a progressive mare in Sparky May but comfortably dispatched her on the bridle.
We have been told that Unaccompanied is not going to Cheltenham. There is a doubt about VLV lining up and no certainty she would head here if she came to Cheltenham.

If VLV lines up then i can see them betting something like
8/11 Quevega, 9/4 VLV, 12s bar
If VLV does not line up then i can see Quevega going off 4/11 or even shorter.
I can't really understand why she is not shorter than both Hurricane Fly and BB.
Report Hurricane Run February 3, 2012 11:30 AM GMT
Fallen - don't forget that if she raced against the boys she would be getting the mares allowance (5 lbs), so 159 equates to 164 in all gender races. I'd say 165 or 166 would be about right, which is only 1-2 lbs above her current mark.
Report BJG February 3, 2012 11:31 AM GMT
C Murphy just on atr - has not ruled out the WH for VLV
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 3, 2012 2:46 PM GMT
HR, i cant even be bothered to read through that post cos after reading the first line i gave up. I am NOT EXPECTING HER TO BE BIGGER THAN 5/4 ON THE DAY. I merely said that she has always been a bigger price on the day than she ever was during the same 6 weeks period of antepost and the same will more than likely happen this year also! If she is 10/11 now, and 4/5 a couple of weeks before (cos the books always trim them in that period readying for nrnb) i would fully expect to see evs, maybe even 11/10 at some point during the day of the race! Has happened every year like i said!
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 3, 2012 2:48 PM GMT
And i am not on about her eventual sp either! I am talking about the early price markets!
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 February 3, 2012 2:52 PM GMT
Ok, i have read through your post haha apologies, 4/11? Really? WOW, thats short, and has absolutely no chance what so ever of happening, not at the festival in a large field race! She will trade something around the regions of 4/6 8/13 in the couple of weeks leading up to Imperial Cup day, then the likes of hills and lads with their specials will push her out a smidgen to around 8/11 and can see her being 5/6 10/11 on the morning of the race at some point during the day! Cast iron certainty, and that is if both VLV or unaccompanied dont go! The same thing will happen with BB!
Report wellchief February 3, 2012 5:05 PM GMT
If she turns up on the day she won't be anywhere near 5/4 or evens at any point imo.

The bookies will have learnt their lessons by now, and can't see any of them taking her on (plus there is no bumper winner running in the Supreme to make a mint on, and can't see them trying to get her)

This years race could also be a very small field, looking at the betting.  It looks like she could face 8 or 9 rivals max - unless loads more get entries that aren't currently in the betting.
Report Howdi February 3, 2012 5:36 PM GMT
check the vidoes of her cheltenham wins she hoses up nodds against is value
Report topshot February 4, 2012 12:52 PM GMT
Hills just cut Quevaga from evens to 8/11....best price evens
Report harry callaghan February 4, 2012 7:18 PM GMT
I have just one opinion on Quevega...

PLOT HORSE

This horse has just been plotted to win this race every year because connections know she is far superior to any of the opposition...

If they ran the horse pre Cheltenham they would scupper any chances of getting any sort of price on the horse and thus give the market what it wants to know...

By not running the animal they give the market nothing, and then know that if they get the horse to the track she is a steering job...

just my own opinion and think nothing will get near her...those taking the short price about her probably should just wait and take the 8-11 on the day but don't blame them as others are quite prepared to take 6-1 about a 4-1 shot and the percentages aren't that much different in comparison...

Banker of the meeting for many and rightly so, on how her career has been plotted...
Report barnesy February 4, 2012 7:28 PM GMT
Harry, I don't think her career is built around providing betting opportunities for her connections. Voler la vedette has picked up nearly 100k in prize money so far this year, so if they were bothered about money they would be picking off the easy prize money in ireland, surely
Report harry callaghan February 4, 2012 8:00 PM GMT
Barnesy you miss my point pal...

If she mopped up all the races in Ireland she would be 2-5 for the race...she has been plotted to win this the last 2 years...she could of raced against the best but no, the connections know she is a banker in this race...

Anyway just my opinion and that is what I believe...
Report ZEALOT February 4, 2012 10:17 PM GMT
Auteuil (FR) Result
22 Jun 2008
« 2:45 » PRIX ALAIN DU BREIL (HURDLE) (GRADE 1)
(4yo) (2m3f110y) 2m3½f Very Soft
£89,338.00, £43,676.00, £25,809.00, £17,868.00, £9,926.00, £6,949.00, £4,963.00
RESULTRATE RACE
Hide all comments in runningShow all pedigrees
              HORSE/SP    AGE    WGT    TRAINER/JOCKEY    OR    TS    RPR    RATED    

«    1          Grivette (FR) 49/10    4    10-21     F-M Cottin    —    —    144        »
Christophe Pieux

«    2    2      Hurricane Fly (IRE) 17/10    4    10-5     W P Mullins    —    —    145        »
D J Condon

Held up in touch, closed up 9th, disputed 2nd 2 out, soon driven, kept on same pace and never reached front-running winner

«    3    2      Quevega (FR) 53/1    4    10-1     W P Mullins    —    —    139        »
D J Casey

Always close up, mistake 10th (4 out), disputed 2nd 2 out, ran on one pace

«    4    2½      La Grande Dame (FR) 14/1    4    10-1     R Caget    —    —    137        »
Jeremie Ducout

«    5    ¾      Othermix (FR) 8/5F    4    10-5     A Chaille-Chaille    —    —    140        »
Jacques Ricou

Tracked winner in 2nd until one pace after 2 out

«    6    3      Mobi (FR) 13/1    4    10-5     J-L Pelletan    —    —    137        »
Ervan Chazelle

«    7    3      Worldbest (FR) 30/1    4    10-5     M Roussel    —    —    134        »
Fabrice Barrao
Report marychain1 February 5, 2012 9:23 AM GMT
Othermix favourite...
Report longchamps February 5, 2012 10:28 AM GMT
the thing that has been agaist voler at chelts is that if im not mistaking the mares race is run on the 3or 4th day .
by that time the ground has usually dried out to good or faster and that is totally against her whereas quevega loves good ground.the only chance voler would have is if it came up soft.
Report wellchief February 5, 2012 10:36 AM GMT
Mares is on day one mate
Report longchamps February 5, 2012 11:54 AM GMT
it it usually later though or have i got it mixed up.
Report BJG February 5, 2012 12:24 PM GMT
Mares race on d Tuesday
Report BJG February 5, 2012 12:30 PM GMT
olm Murphy feels Voler La Vedette is better than she showed in defeat behind Zaidpour at Gowran last time out.
The mare had previously gained her first Grade One win in the Hatton's Grace at Fairyhouse, before winning over Christmas at Leopardstown.

She was sent off odds-on to beat Zaidpour, but Ruby Walsh rode a canny race from the front and held a length advantage at the line.

However, Murphy said: "She ran too free the last day and she paid the penalty.

"If the race was run again we'd be hoping for a different result but she's come out of it well and we're happy with her.

"Early on she used to be very keen but she gives herself a chance now, that has helped her reach her potential and we've been delighted with her.

"She's entered in the World Hurdle and she'll have an entry in the mares' race (at Cheltenham) but there's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before then. We haven't ruled either of them out," he told At The Races.
Report shockster February 13, 2012 11:04 AM GMT
VLV and Unaccompanied now out. Get the price before it goes!Excited
Report BJG February 13, 2012 12:23 PM GMT
A genuine 1/4 shot now Cool
Report giggsy3444 February 13, 2012 12:35 PM GMT
Still 8/11 on here. GET THE LOT ON!!!
Report SN02 February 13, 2012 7:00 PM GMT
What price do people think she will be on the day with and without vlv in the race ?
Already have 250 on at evens but contemplating putting more on but not sure if it is worth it.
Report BJG February 13, 2012 7:38 PM GMT
1/2 best imo and thats if HF loses - If the Fly wins i see no reason why she would nt be 2/5 or less against the rest of them
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 7:38 PM GMT
is vlv out of the race?
Report BJG February 13, 2012 7:40 PM GMT
Voler La Vedette is to head for the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham without another racecourse appearance.

Connections of the eight-year-old mare have decided against giving her a prep run in the Ladbrokes Boyne Hurdle at Navan on Sunday, which she won 12 months ago.

Trainer Colm Murphy said: "I've had a chat with the owners and we've decided she won't run at the weekend. She'll go straight to Cheltenham for the World Hurdle. We'll just keep her ticking over now. She seems in great form and I'm very happy with her."

He added: "It's more than likely she'll go for the World Hurdle, not the (David Nicholson) Mares' Hurdle."

Voler La Vedette has enjoyed a successful campaign so far, winning her first three races of the winter, including the Grade One Hatton's Grace Hurdle, before suffering defeat against Zaidpour in the Galmoy Hurdle at Gowran Park last month.
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 7:59 PM GMT
beautiful!!! been backing quevega for months, thanks bjg
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 8:04 PM GMT
can see quevega going off 1/3 now especially if the fly wins ,would imagine some hefty irish doubles running on
Report willie the milk February 13, 2012 8:09 PM GMT
Pointed out KORAL were EVENS last night. Enjoyed a deuce at levels. If VLV not running, and Quevega does, she will be 2-7Cool
Report casual February 13, 2012 8:13 PM GMT
I surely cannot be the only person who wants to see Quevega against Big Bucks- she has won two 3m Grade 1 hurdles and must represent the only worthwhile competition bar Oscar Whisky- who has won no graded races over 3m. I do think that any other of Mullins horses are good enough to win so why not give Quevega a go in the World Hurdle and create one of the most anticipated races of the week..
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 8:20 PM GMT
correct!!i took the last bit of evens with koral last week and feeling top notch with my 13/8 in meaty dbls with the fly at 9/4 with hillbillys. have to laugh tho i had £20 dbl at 5/6 with junior at 16,s for the g nat with baldybet and the next day they were 8/11 and 12,s!!
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 8:31 PM GMT
casual you are correct that quevega would give bb something to think about as she is that good but it wont happen. im of the opinion that bb would win the gold cup if he turned up but it seems the thinking is to just go back and farm the staying hurdle races.perhaps next year when kauto poss retires p nicholls may consider , who knows
Report B_H_B February 13, 2012 9:16 PM GMT
Why does Quevega need to go down the World Hurdle route though?

She farms the Mares race year after year, so why sacrifice a Cheltenham winner in search of what is likely to be a place in the World Hurdle?

She's paid for the holiday for the past 3 years now and the 6/4 I've got about her will pay for this year's as well.

With VLV and Unaccompanied out of the race it's going to be nothing more than a routine canter for her. She should be no bigger than 1/3 against the rest of these, and even that is a gift.
Report giggsy3444 February 13, 2012 9:31 PM GMT
cannot believe the price she still is. must be just incase Murphy changes his mind AGAIN because if VLV doesn't run then quevega is a steering job. seriously she should be 1/4.
Report horse9 February 13, 2012 9:34 PM GMT
She'll win 6 or 7 of these Mares hurdles and go down in history - a record no horse will ever break.
8/11, all things considered is still huge value IMO...
Report horse9 February 13, 2012 9:34 PM GMT
She'll win 6 or 7 of these Mares hurdles and go down in history - a record no horse will ever break.
8/11, all things considered is still huge value IMO...
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 9:39 PM GMT
8/11 wont last, form is way above the weak oppostion thats left to turn up and there wont be many of them either!
Report Fallen Angel February 13, 2012 10:37 PM GMT
With VLV now likely to go for the world hurdle I honestly believe that Quevega should be shorter than big bucks. She hammered the field last year and looked to have improved if anything else, I agree that there is no way that assuming she lines up she can go off bigger than 1/2. This race looks at her mercy. Remember that MM went 4/11 for the champion chase back in 09' and think that was equally a weak race as this. She could have more than 12-14 pounds on the day to play with.
Report Tory February 13, 2012 10:42 PM GMT
You're simply betting on her turning up now
Report giggsy3444 February 13, 2012 10:44 PM GMT
quevega and BB are virtually the same price on here. but BB looks to have a harder task by far (even though he'll still win). if as expected VLV doesn't run then what you have is a genuine G1 horse running in a G2 race against a bunch of at best G3 mares.  point and shoot job.
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 11:11 PM GMT
agreed giggsy , im seriously wondering if you loce the horse more than me Laugh
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 11:11 PM GMT
love
Report strontium February 13, 2012 11:19 PM GMT
Quevega hasn't run for months. That's always a doubt, however good the horse. she also a Mare and they have more off days than geldings. She's won 4 races in a row, Big Buck's 15.
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 11:34 PM GMT
seasonal debut for the last 2 years has been  at cheltenham and ruby didnt have to show her the whip, mullins will have the horse spot on. the point thats being made is that the opposition to quevega and bb is far weaker in the mares race than w hurdle
Report shando February 13, 2012 11:41 PM GMT
if quevega had run this year and won easy it would be 1/3 its 8/11 because we dont no if its ok r not if it turns up on the day it wins easy again
Report strontium February 13, 2012 11:41 PM GMT
Bertie - I was commenting on why they are a similar price. Yes, the opposition will be a little weaker in the Mares but not hugely so. Oscar Whisky might trouble Big Bucks, Thousand Stars is a doubtful runner. There's not much else.

I agree quevega has been spot on for her seasonal debut at Cheltenham the last two years, but she's a horse, not a machine. She's a mare as well. Until people see her wellbeing there can always be some doubt which inflates her price. We know Big Bucks is race fit and in form.

I won't be opposing either of them and have them both in various multiples. I think they are the two most likley Festival winners.
Report bertieboy February 13, 2012 11:50 PM GMT
yep pt taken stron, geuss if she def lines up then much shorter on the day but bb will prob stay around the same price, personally i think mullins is a master at peaking horses first time out when he wants to so very happy with the prices i have. quevega makes or breaks my festival at present tho! will be sulking if she doesnt win
Report tomdeane February 14, 2012 7:42 PM GMT
Maybe I am becoming cynical in this straight as an arrow sport, but having backed her earlier this season, I'm just getting a little uneasy that she is not trading at shorter than she is - do those dirty bookie fellows know something we don't?
Report Masterminded February 14, 2012 7:48 PM GMT
There are no certanties in racing but there is Quevega.
Report strontium February 14, 2012 7:52 PM GMT
She was about 5/4 this time last year iirc?
Report shockster February 14, 2012 7:54 PM GMT
Tom stop sweating and book the holiday.Laugh
Report willie the milk February 14, 2012 7:57 PM GMT
I must admit I aint read anywhere VLV goes for the WH. Ladddies still best on Quevega at 8-11. If VLV not going, Q is a 3s on chance
Report BJG February 14, 2012 8:00 PM GMT
Voler La Vedette is to head for the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham without another racecourse appearance.

Connections of the eight-year-old mare have decided against giving her a prep run in the Ladbrokes Boyne Hurdle at Navan on Sunday, which she won 12 months ago.

Trainer Colm Murphy said: "I've had a chat with the owners and we've decided she won't run at the weekend. She'll go straight to Cheltenham for the World Hurdle. We'll just keep her ticking over now. She seems in great form and I'm very happy with her."

He added: "It's more than likely she'll go for the World Hurdle, not the (David Nicholson) Mares' Hurdle."

Voler La Vedette has enjoyed a successful campaign so far, winning her first three races of the winter, including the Grade One Hatton's Grace Hurdle, before suffering defeat against Zaidpour in the Galmoy Hurdle at Gowran Park last month.
Report strontium February 14, 2012 8:02 PM GMT
Vlv does go for the World willie - announced a few days ago.
Report willie the milk February 14, 2012 8:03 PM GMT
Ok, ta
Report casual February 14, 2012 8:08 PM GMT
shoot me for banging on about the world hurdle and I am talking out of my pocket (only to the tune of a lost tenner)but yes she is a mare- therefore gets an allowance- she beat mourad last by 1.5 lengths having made a mistake at the last and BB beat him by 4.5 no doubt with a bit in hand- and she goes best fresh. The owners have already had 4 winners at the festival so nothing to lose there by going for the WH with her.

If she goes to the mares race VLV is not a factor as she doesn't act round the course. Think the prices offered now just reflect the fact she has not run this season and the fact Mullins has not publicly said she is 100% and on course for the mares recently. If she turns up on the day the strongest market will be winning distance...
Report Tory February 15, 2012 8:25 PM GMT
Think I know the answer to this anyway, but just looking for reassurances. What are the chances of her going to the WH?

Know Mullins has MDH, Thousand Stars, Zaidpour, So Young and possibly one or two others for that one.
Report harry callaghan February 15, 2012 8:52 PM GMT
100-1
Report muzza88 February 15, 2012 8:53 PM GMT
Whats the verdict? 4/6 that's about now value or wait until the day...
Report BJG February 15, 2012 8:55 PM GMT
I think she'll be 2/5 best on the day if VLV goes for the WH as planned
Report harry callaghan February 15, 2012 8:56 PM GMT
Take the 4-6 today or 4-9 on the day...
Report Tory February 15, 2012 10:06 PM GMT
I was going to wait until the day as dont like doing lump AP bets as so easy to do your dosh, and got over 2.0 last year, but had to have a decent bet for me @ 8/11 with laddies once the VLV news came out and thats why i'm now twitchy.

Can afford to lose so not going to not eat or anything like that but its not ideal. If she's anything like that when NRNB comes in then i'll pile in again.

Just hate the idea of getting to the race and already being a few hundred down as she's not in it but guess that's why she is the price she is now
Report Martin pipe returns February 15, 2012 10:08 PM GMT
Don't rule out VLV just yet, those boys change their mind every week :)
Report Tory February 15, 2012 10:13 PM GMT
Just one of the gambles you take with AP betting.

Gamble worth taking though as even if VLV turns up, what will Quevega be - 5/4 max? If she doesnt 2/5 so 8/11 seems ok.
Report birdieforthewin February 15, 2012 10:42 PM GMT
If the fly zooms in..you will not be seeing 4/6 quevenga no matter who
she faces at the tapes..imo you should be banging on stan james door with
wads of cash now.
Report ashtongate1974 February 18, 2012 9:38 AM GMT
when is the next forfeit stage for the mares race?
Report strontium February 18, 2012 10:11 AM GMT
The entry stage isn't until Feb 28th.
Report ashtongate1974 February 18, 2012 10:29 AM GMT
thanks for that strontium
Report ashtongate1974 February 19, 2012 11:05 AM GMT
badbrokes 8/11 all gone now they've cut it to 4/7.
Report harry callaghan February 19, 2012 11:31 AM GMT
yes ashton it is just a stampede to get the cash on...glorious stuffExcited
Report BJG February 21, 2012 7:06 PM GMT
Quevega in very good nick - in trainin quite a while, she's fit, mentally well, working really well
Looks really good

From Ruby Walsh Cool

Did a snippet of a vid for the irish examiner
Report birdieforthewin February 21, 2012 7:29 PM GMT
BJG

Thanks for the update Excited
Report BJG February 21, 2012 7:29 PM GMT
http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/ruby-tips-bob-for-festival-glory-184479.html#.T0Pe2WRZAzc.twitter

Forgot the link BlushCool
Report wellchief February 21, 2012 7:40 PM GMT
GrinGrin

Just the sort of thing to cheer you up on a Tuesday night Happy
Report SN02 February 21, 2012 9:46 PM GMT
Thanks very much for that BJG - a fantastic watch and I would have never have seen it if you had not put it up.

I am sure Ruby is smirking a little bit talking about H Fly and Quevega

Anyone think Ruby is value for festival jocket at 1.7 - only really BG to take him on isnt there ?
Report Fallen Angel February 21, 2012 9:51 PM GMT
Cheers BJG - only 20 days until we fingers crossed get to see her on the track again
Report BJG February 21, 2012 9:54 PM GMT
Big Bucks - Hurricane Fly - Quevega look nailed on - that would go close to winnin it for him on their own

Another 20 odd rides on top of that with the pick of WPM's and PN's and 1.7 looks very fair
Report Arklearkle February 21, 2012 9:55 PM GMT
Ruby possibly is value at that price but I would not dream of backing a leading jockey before the morning of the first day.
Report Fallen Angel February 21, 2012 10:12 PM GMT
Walsh must be penciled in for a minimum of two / three winners with all the combinations of short prices. Some of them will get turned over but some of them wont. There is the possibility that Quevega could be the shortest one of the lot. He will have competitive rides in the handicaps plus a live chance in the gold cup. 1.7 looked good value but agree with the comments that I would rather back on the day.
Report horse9 February 21, 2012 10:16 PM GMT
1.7 is a gift from the Gods, he should be 1.4.
No way on Earth does Quevega or Bucks get beat, Hurricane Fly a marginally less confident pick but that's only because until he's cantering to the start I alwasy think he won't show, so there's 3 certianties, chuck in the best Mullins and Nicholls has as others have said and he's a shoo in for 5 winners, that should be enough.....
Report strontium February 21, 2012 10:26 PM GMT
He's got good chances with those above, Boston Bob, Kauto Star, Join Together & Al Ferof before we get to the handicaps, bumper, Triumph and any outside rides. But I echo the others about when to back.
Report BJG February 23, 2012 3:12 PM GMT
Willie Mullins reports Quevega to be firing on all cylinders as she bids to land the OLBG Mares Hurdle (for the David Nicholson Trophy)for the fourth successive time at Cheltenham next month.

The eight-year-old will again be making her seasonal reappearance at the Festival, and is pleasing her handler again after a brief scare.

"She's in great form. She was in terrific form, ready to run, about three weeks ago then just went out of sorts a little bit so I gave her ten days easy. Now she's back good and strong again," Mullins told At The Races.

"I wasn't going to run her - I had her ready so I had nothing to do coming up to Cheltenham other than keep her ticking over. I like to get them ready then if something happens you can give them a bit of a break before building then up totally for the Festival."

Mullins admits heading straight to Cheltenham suits Quevega.

"I remember two years ago I ran her in a schooling hurdle and she came back lame on the same leg that had her out the previous year and I got such a fright I said I'd never run her again before the Festival and it seems to work. She takes her training well that way and I'm very pleased with her," he added.

"The breeder told me years ago the family keep improving with age and I can't disagree with him. She's certainly as good as she was anyhow."

The more u put on the more u get back CoolCool
Report Arklearkle February 23, 2012 3:39 PM GMT
BJG I like your last sentence
Report speedyseagull February 23, 2012 10:13 PM GMT
Ok, assuming VLV isn't going for the Mares, who do we think will be best of the rest behind Quevega?

Market suggests it will be one of:

Our Girl Salley
Kentford Grey Lady
violin Davis
Alasi

The collateral form between OGS, KGL and VD is hard to work out. I was initially thinking Violin Davis but she benefitted from a good Ruby ride, who will obviously be on Quevega.

Alasi has twiced it twice and failed (8th and 4th)

Any thoughts?
Report strontium February 23, 2012 10:18 PM GMT
OGS for me. The race at Ascot was odd - half a mile further than the mares hrd at the Festival but turned in to a sprint. Conditions would not have suited OGS but she was still best at the weights iirc. That said, I don't think there's a lot between them.
Report BJG February 23, 2012 10:22 PM GMT
KGL 2nd and OGS 3rd imo - think they will fill the places
Report Fallen Angel February 24, 2012 11:55 AM GMT
Obviously we are all huge Quevega fans but I am really surprised her price has held around 1.69 level on here. Now that Unaccompanied and VDV are not running I make Quevega about 10 pounds ahead of anything else in the race and potentially more than that. If this was any other race we would already be looking at 4/7 at best or shorter.

I know until she walks out on the day there will be still be slight worries about her fitness but looks the weakest races of the meeting.
Report strontium February 29, 2012 12:28 PM GMT
Unaccompanied entered Plain
Report KP22 February 29, 2012 12:39 PM GMT
Form Horse Age Owner Trainer
43133(1) A LITTLE SWIFTER (IRE) 6 Dr Clive Layton & Ken Lawrence Neil King
0111U1 ALASI 8 Shully Liebermann Paul Webber
1134-12 BABY SHINE (IRE) 6 P A Philipps, T S & Mrs L Redman Lucy Wadham
1P2233 BELLE DE FONTENAY (FR) 7 George Baker & Partners George Baker
143111 BLAZING TEMPO (IRE) 8 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
215153 CANDELITA 5 Pedro Rosas Jo Hughes
14-5245 CLOUDY SPIRIT 7 Norma Harris Reg Hollinshead
3-31533 DARE TO DOUBT 8 Jim Ennis Willie Mullins IRE
2146F4 DORABELLE (IRE) 7 Brendan Richardson Donald McCain
3F1444 GOLDEN SUNBIRD (IRE) 8 Jim Mernagh Paul Nolan IRE
22P33(3) HIMAYNA 8 The Futures Bright Partnership Frank Sheridan
116231 IXORA (IRE) 6 The Ixora Racing Partnership Jamie Snowden
30-3241 KELLS BELLE (IRE) 6 Brian,Gwen,Terri & Kelly Griffiths Nicky Henderson
0-53112 KENTFORD GREY LADY 6 Ian Bare Emma Lavelle
11-U143 LIFESTYLE 6 The Turf Club & David Ford Nicky Henderson
633211 LUCIA BAY 7 Drew & Ailsa Russell Lucinda Russell
660313 OUR GIRL SALLEY (IRE) 7 Mrs A O'Neill Prunella Dobbs IRE
3011/1-1 QUEVEGA (FR) 8 Hammer & Trowel Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
31300-6 SANTERA (IRE) 8 Jason Tucker Tony Carroll
314142 SHOP DJ (IRE) 7 Arthur Craigie Peter Fahey IRE
1-21113 SWINCOMBE FLAME 6 Yeo Racing Partnership Nick Williams
41-3412 TEMPEST RIVER (IRE) 6 Fly Like The Wind Partnership Ben Case
F TERRE DU VENT (FR) 6 Simon Clarke Tom George
26656(0) THE STRAWBERRY ONE 7 Kykie Allsopp David Arbuthnot
12-4114 UNACCOMPANIED (IRE) 5 Moyglare Stud Farms Ltd Dermot Weld IRE
4/611-45 VEILED 6 Pump & Plant Services Ltd Nicky Henderson
23-1331 VIOLIN DAVIS (FR) 6 Andrew Polson Paul Nicholls
501-030 WHAT A CHARM (IRE) 5 Chris Jones Arthur Moore IRE
28 entries
8 Irish-trained
Report shockster February 29, 2012 1:33 PM GMT
Unaccompanied is only likely to line up in the OLBG Mares' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival if Quevega does not take part.

Dermot Weld's Grade One-winning five-year-old was the surprise name among the 28 entries for the race better known as the David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle.

The Willie Mullins-trained Quevega has ruled the roost in the Grade Two for the past three years and despite her unusual preparation of heading to Cheltenham without the aid of a prior run, is currently odds-on favourite to make it four in a row.

Unaccompanied would at least give her something different to think about but Stan Cosgrave, racing manager for the owners, Moyglare Stud, said: "Dermot put her in just in case something happened to Willie Mullins' good mare.

"It's doubtful she'll run, but if the good filly doesn't run then she would.

"It's just a safety valve. It's unlikely, but you never know."

A total of 28 mares are entered, with last year's Fred Winter winner What A Charm, Lanzarote Hurdle winner Swincombe Flame and Our Girl Salley engaged.

Alasi, Kentford Grey Lady and Violin Davis are also entered.
Report Arklearkle February 29, 2012 2:03 PM GMT
Supposing they run Unaccompanied and she beats Quevega. That would be a really popular one.
Report thieveslikeus February 29, 2012 2:28 PM GMT
Cowardly attitude IMO.  Weld ran scared of Dunguib 2 years ago and his horse ran instead in what turned out to be the stronger race.  Not that I care, it's only the Mares race and I have yet to have a bet in it and am very unlikely to change that in the near future.
Report Fallen Angel February 29, 2012 6:47 PM GMT
Unaccompanied is very short considering that she may not run in the DN mares hurdle. She is effectively 2nd favourite at the prices, but will only run if Quevega doesn't (according to the above quote). The prices look like something fishy to me, the race is only 10 days away now Confused
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com