Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Alvarado
28 Aug 11 12:21
| Topic/replies: 1,356 | Blogger: Alvarado's blog
absolute machine of a horse will make a superb chaser travelled like the best horse in a red hot supreme and should av won really only his inexperince cost him will be a stone better chaser beautiful horse arkle winner for me

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 37  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 37 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 1,477
By:
flyingbolt
When: 28 Aug 11 17:38
Cracking horse. Not sure Cheltenham is his ideal track, he'll be a very chaser though.
By:
flyingbolt
When: 28 Aug 11 17:43
Cracking horse. Not sure Cheltenham is his ideal track, he'll be a very chaser though.
By:
Howdi
When: 28 Aug 11 19:14
he's my pick vintage year
By:
Masterminded
When: 28 Aug 11 20:43
This horse should have won Supreme, will win Arkle. Smashing horse. Could be a real star imo
By:
Howdi
When: 28 Aug 11 20:53
please please please dont put 'will win' the arkle absolutly mad comment we aint seen him jump yet
By:
Masterminded
When: 28 Aug 11 23:24
will win the arkle
By:
neill d
When: 29 Aug 11 03:58
The Irish Arkle gentlemen please god for i've just had me first 20 on Peddlers, just stay as good as you are my boy, best week of the year, the real man's Christmas
By:
tomdeane
When: 29 Aug 11 05:30
Was against him in the run-up to Cheltenham and ended up backing him on the day as I thought he went off a big price. Absolutely loved what I saw and fingers crossed he should make up into a better chaser, but like flyingbolt, am not sure Cheltenham is really his track. No way he should have won the Supreme - he didn't stay as well as the first two.

Maybe it was just weakness but he was done as they hit that hill and your really have to stay to win an Arkle. Still have a tiny suspicion that Cue Card will make good on his earlier promise over the bigger obstacles and could easily see him taking a high rank, although Peddlers looks as solid as you could get considering we haven't seen any of them jump yet!
By:
Masterminded
When: 29 Aug 11 09:20
I thought he hit the front plenty soon enough in the supreme. I'm only jesting when I say will win the Arkle but I am confident he will be one of the main challengers for sure. That of course also depends on him taking to fences but I think he will.
By:
rhinestone
When: 29 Aug 11 10:12
Love
By:
tweedledumbtweedletwat
When: 29 Aug 11 10:13
he will no doubt lag up when aimed at the nov chase at newbury winter fest
By:
rhinestone
When: 29 Aug 11 10:17
designed for chasing, his stature, strong running nature, the way he jumps hurdles all point to being an awesome chaser. If he has strengthened further over the summer (like he should) and settles a little bit better, he'll be a formidable opponent Love

Been backing him for the Arkle since before the Supreme.
By:
Howdi
When: 29 Aug 11 10:24
masterminded showing distinct lack of experience imo
By:
Masterminded
When: 29 Aug 11 10:57
pardon?
By:
Howdi
When: 29 Aug 11 16:52
bonkers to say something WILL WIN the arkle before its jumped a fence.
By:
revedesivola
When: 29 Aug 11 16:55
he said he was only taking the p1ss!
By:
Howdi
When: 29 Aug 11 16:58
sorry didnt see that post apologies

ive spent too much time on mayweather threads Cry
By:
revedesivola
When: 29 Aug 11 17:07
Laugh
By:
R Carver
When: 29 Aug 11 17:59
I think this machine will handle the track next yr, he looked very weak and immature last yr. I also think AP might have held onto him longer if running the race again, although to be fair, the horse tanked to the front.
By:
OnTheSnaff
When: 29 Aug 11 22:08
These Network horses are Giants,Rubi Light looks one to follow too
By:
TheFormMan
When: 30 Aug 11 18:36
Sprinter Sacre-WILL WIN THE ARKLE-FACT!Devil
By:
buddeliea
When: 31 Aug 11 17:41
Sprinter is a very classy animal,but having backed him for the Supreme i must say i was a tad disappointed with the way he finished the race.He will be interesting over fences if he takes to them,but i aint backing him till i have seen how he gets on.
Its possible he may be a bit soft.
By:
OnTheSnaff
When: 31 Aug 11 18:08
lets hope he doesnt do a "punchestowns"CryLaugh
By:
rhinestone
When: 31 Aug 11 18:50
budd - he was extremley weak and tanked early. He will be a much stronger horse this year.

Sprinter Sacre is not comparable to Punchestowns.
By:
R Carver
When: 31 Aug 11 19:43
Budd asks an interesting question.

The horse did have a battle on his bumper debut, and did show great willing, but besides that, he'd never had to fight before the supreme  - he was sick when beaten by Frascati over too far on an otherwise respectable hurdles debut (when pulling hard) but the races at Ayr, Acot and Fos Las were just dosses.

In the supreme, when he did have to fight, or did at least get asked for an effort, he did not find loads.

However, my opinion on this is that he pulled way, way, way too hard in the 1st 4f of the race. The fact that he still on the bit turning in was impressive. If given the ride again, I think AP may try to hold on even longer (not easy when he tanks so much). He pulled like a tank in his novice prep races, but it was less problematic because they where ordinary races. In the supreme he could not get away with it. I think he'll be one of teh very best 2m novices this yr if (as ever, thats the unknown!) he jumps.

More worrying that any softness for me is immaturity. The horse still looks a litle immature to me.
By:
buddeliea
When: 01 Sep 11 06:52
Fair points,and you are probably right re immaturity rather than soft,although for me that remains a possibility.
Really hope he grows in to a good strong horse cos his class is there for all to see,and should he do so he will be a big threat to any horse in whatever races he ends up in.
By:
Masterminded
When: 01 Sep 11 09:45
Must remember he had horses like Cue Card (who at the time was the next Arkle as I remember), Spirit Son, Al Ferof and a number of other good horses all hard at work. Can't knock AP's ride at all as he'd never ridden him but just feel for a horse who travels so easily he had no need to be hitting the front quite so soon. He may still not have won but I think he could have been closer and will have learned an awful lot from that race. He's never been in much of a battle until the Supreme but I can't say that's really his fault. Was wrapped up in cotton wool all year. He's an effortless mover on any type of ground and I would be confident he will be much stronger this season. Roll on the Newbury Winter Fest. where no doubt he will hack up at 4/7.
By:
Howdi
When: 01 Sep 11 15:27
^^^^ great post but change 4/7 to 2/9
By:
TheFormMan
When: 01 Sep 11 16:50
1/3
By:
R Carver
When: 01 Sep 11 19:26
2/11
By:
GI MAC
When: 01 Sep 11 19:34
If you recall, the trainer was never that keen on him heading to the festival, he had to be persuaded. He wanted the horse put away for the summer as he felt he needed to strengthen up.
By:
Howdi
When: 01 Sep 11 19:56
^^^ good point remember that sometimes in racing having a good memory helps. im going through form now and have got is sussed.
By:
abbott
When: 01 Sep 11 21:36
In my opinion you wont see the best of this one till he is a 2nd season chaser
By:
ftm
When: 01 Sep 11 23:08
is that because he needs more racing..settling better to see out his races or to become stronger?
By:
tomdeane
When: 02 Sep 11 03:48
As I said earlier on this thread I love this horse but am not sure he is a strong enough stayer to win an Arkle. The problem is that he was immature, hence he had a relatively easy campaign last term, but he learned nothing until the Supreme and probably ended up having a hard enough race there. The big issue that inter-relates with all these concerns is, as others have mentioned, his tendency to pull.

It will be a damned hard job getting him to learn to settle without blooding him in some of the strongest novice events on the road to Cheltenham, and I can see a similar scenario playing out next March (him tanking like a monster but ultimately emptying out as the real tough nuts, like Peddlers Cross, grind out the finish).

It's always a risky thing comparing horses but I have been done so many times by these gorgeous, flashy speed merchants, and I'm concerned that he fits nicely into that category. Backed Finian's Rainbow last season and saw him undone by a stronger stayer, while previous winning bets on the likes of Moscow Flyer, My Way De Solzen, Tidal Bay and Sizing Europe all suggest I should stick to those stouter types.

As a point of interest, do we know if Al Ferof goes chasing? Surely he would be another major player if so?
By:
buddeliea
When: 02 Sep 11 06:54
he would indeed,as would a few others at this stage.
Pretty sure the trainer said he was chasing this season.
By:
R Carver
When: 02 Sep 11 06:58
Good post Tom. regarding Al ferof, I am sure the trainer and owner said immediately after the Supreme he'd be sent chasing. I think i even read that they confirmed this again recently, I just cannot find the quote. I think he'll need more than 2, but as you rightly say, the Arkle is a race you absolutely need to stay in.
By:
neill d
When: 02 Sep 11 15:43
Really good thread lads, off the top of my head, there are few enogh 'speed' horses that win at the festival, Kauto Star and Hurricane Fly the exceptions, both were freaks and one stays further, even Moscow used to kick for home early, I'm often taken in by these types as well.
By:
Howdi
When: 02 Sep 11 19:17
alfie defo going chasing been plan for 18 months
Page 1 of 37  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 37 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo