Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
dwm767
12 Feb 11 13:52
| Topic/replies: 29,810 | Blogger: dwm767's blog
Ok he was hampered, but he picked up the bit again soon after and got into contention, just couldn't got through with the effort. Winning nothing.
Pause Switch to Standard View Mikael D'Haguenet...
Show More
Report eric_morris February 27, 2011 7:40 PM GMT
..though obviously you need a horse who will have some stamina for an Arkle as they have to get up a hill faster than the others so there are no bridle merchants there.
Report evra February 27, 2011 7:48 PM GMT
looks like the rsa is mikael d'haguenet's target

QUEL ESPRIT shone brightest of Willie Mullins's quartet to school round Leopardstown after racing on Sunday, according to jockey Paul Townend and was promptly cut by bookmakers for the National Hunt Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

RELATED LINKS
National Hunt Chase betting
RSA Chase betting
Stewart Family Chase betting
Kim Muir betting
Free bets
Cheltenham Festival site
Mikael D'Haguenet, ridden by reigning champion Ruby Walsh, followed Quel Esprit under Townend, who is leading this season's title race by seven winners from Davy Russell, over a circuit of the chase course at Leopardstown when several Cheltenham contenders were put through their paces on the first of the track's pre-festival gallop days.
Following that pair were the Katie Walsh-ridden Pomme Tiepy, wearing blinkers for the first time, and Some Target, ridden by Patrick Mullins.

Mullins said: "Paul was particularly happy with Quel Esprit. The National Hunt Chase is a big option for him now, that's most likely where he'll run."

Quel Esprit was cut to 10-1 and 12-1 (from 16) by Totesport and Bet365, while Ladbrokes went 10-1 (from 12).

Ladbrokes spokeswoman Hayley O'Connor said: "Quel Esprit did a nice piece of work and with Mullins confirming he's aiming him for the National Hunt Chase we've cut him to 10-1."

Some Target is also headed towards that race, with the RSA Chase the target for Mikael D'Haguenet. Pomme Tiepy could run in the Stewart Family Spinal Research Handicap Chase or the Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Chase.
Report eric_morris February 27, 2011 7:51 PM GMT
Mikael is now on course for the RSA which gives him his best chance. Will Ruby be on him or Aiteen Thirtythree?

National Hunt Chase a good chance Quel Esprit jumping well.
Report ReaseHeath February 27, 2011 9:00 PM GMT
Jockey arrangements intriguing. Notice Nicholls suggested yday Daryl Jacob would retain the ride on Zarkandar for example - maybe, he would n't lose to much sleep if Ruby opted for MdH allowing Nick Schofield to keep the ride on 1833. It's a bit different with the lightly raced novices (1833 has had a different jockey in each of his novice chase wins) than the established stars like Kauto and MM who are Ruby's rides.
Report eric_morris February 27, 2011 9:03 PM GMT
Yes can see that working Aiteen Thirtythree looks an easy galloping ride and the jockey did a great job last time out. Mikael imo needs Ruby up to see him to best effect just thetype with a few quirks he can sort out.
Report MONKEY-MAGIC February 27, 2011 9:10 PM GMT
Ruby will always pick mikael over 1833 if mikael fit Mischief

...it will be Mikael vs Long Run for gold cup over next 3/4 years ...love both horses so would force me not to bet in race!! Cry
Report Stake & Chips February 28, 2011 11:38 AM GMT
Market suggests RSA...
Report Clown's Pocket February 28, 2011 1:08 PM GMT
I wonder if the market has been influenced by the RP saying that the RSA is the target without quoting WM or anyone else.

Can someone put me straight, has anything been said?
Report CVByrne February 28, 2011 1:14 PM GMT
He said he's likely to go for the rsa.
Report Ballydoyle February 28, 2011 1:16 PM GMT
I've backed this at 14s a while ago, along with a couple of others, but let's get real here. He's a maiden looking to win an RSA, coming off a 594 day lay-off or whatever it was, he's not as good as people think and if Walsh has the choice then 1833 would be his best option imo.
Report Masterminded February 28, 2011 7:22 PM GMT
Pretty certain Ruby will be on 1833 in the RSA.
Report Rondetto February 28, 2011 7:33 PM GMT
Cheltenham has come up with some fantastic stories over the years.

The thought of Michael D'Hagenuet, Willie Mullins and Ruby Walsh coming to Cheltenham and winning the RSA would be as good as it gets.

Having backed him a long time ago it would be something if he could do it, but I just can't see him or anything else beating Time For Rupert.

Ruby would pretty much be certain to ride him because of who owns him plus 1833 would win if he started now.
Report unclepuncle February 28, 2011 8:25 PM GMT
Certainly adds a bit of spice to the RSA - think Ruby will be on board myselfDevil
Report Graeme83 February 28, 2011 9:35 PM GMT
"The thought of Michael D'Hagenuet, Willie Mullins and Ruby Walsh coming to Cheltenham and winning the RSA would be as good as it gets."

Laugh Laugh
Report revedesivola March 1, 2011 12:00 AM GMT
reaseheath, have you got a link re jock arrangements and why is ruby not riding them all?
Report sintonian March 1, 2011 9:53 AM GMT
Everybody likes to ride MDH in the gallops because they think they are riding a superstar.imo
Report Clown's Pocket March 9, 2011 3:47 PM GMT
One of 13 left in the Arkle. Come on Mr Mullins, this race is there for the taking.
Report CVByrne March 9, 2011 3:51 PM GMT
Mullins said last night he and Quel go for the RSA, also he picked so young in the neptune as his  charity bet yet so young was left in the supreme.

They were just left in as a precaution. incase the heavens opened.
Report Wayward Lad March 9, 2011 4:40 PM GMT
Which was the last horse to break his novice "duck" as a chaser by winning either the Arkle or RSA chase?
Mikael d'Haguenet has looked one of the classiest novices I've seen this season, and but for that fall at the last in the race won by Jessie's Dream he may have progressed a lot more.
That must've been a confidence knocker for him.

Whatever race he goes for, he has to be considered.
Report Masterminded March 9, 2011 4:51 PM GMT
Although I've backed him I'm not convinced in either race. Kind of want him covered in case he comes back to his best but for me he doesn't stay well enough to win an RSA and he doesn't jump well enough to win an Arkle. I could see him maybe placing but that's it.
Report Luke01 March 9, 2011 5:51 PM GMT
Will Mullins change his mind and put him Arkle at last minute. Think he just might.
Report ReaseHeath March 9, 2011 6:11 PM GMT
reve, sorry only just seen your post above. CV and some of the Irish lads would be better placed to speculate on Mullins' riding arrangements than me. Ruby very tight lipped on RUK on Mon - some decent points on other threads - like the poster who highlighted Nicholls speculating about Ruby getting the ride on Peddlers Cross if Maguire was banned - seemed a strong indication Townend would retain ride on Hurricane Fly.

My overriding impression is that both Mullins and Nicholls are genuinely very relaxed about it and just let Ruby make his choice. He does n't have a retainer with Nicholls as documented in the latter's book, presume he does n't have one with Mulins either otherwise he'd be compelled to ride some of his.

Guess it cuts both ways - means he's not guaranteed the ride on Hurricane Fly but, on the other hand, he can choose to ride,say, MM rather than Golden Silver for example (deliberatley chose that example as it's non-controversial [;)]).
Report revedesivola March 9, 2011 6:22 PM GMT
no probs rease, caught you on another thread so im in the know about it now. thanks
Report Luke01 March 9, 2011 7:13 PM GMT
Mikael - Arkle ??
Report revedesivola March 9, 2011 7:16 PM GMT
no goin 4 rsa
Report GI MAC March 9, 2011 7:17 PM GMT
Only 13 left in, surely Mullins will look at this and think its worth a pop? Pocket talking for me, still hoping I get a run for my money..   Grin
Report Luke01 March 9, 2011 8:35 PM GMT
I think Mikael will run in Arkle. I may be wrong but I just got the feeling a fast Arkle would suit him. The RSA he will make mistakes.
Report Tavaris Jackson March 9, 2011 10:45 PM GMT
Just on the off chance couldn't resist having a few quid on for the Arkle.
20/1 NRNB with SJ, would be a lot shorter if confirmed given the relative weakness of the field.
Report irishone March 9, 2011 10:47 PM GMT
jumps fences too quick, gambles  imho
Report CVByrne March 9, 2011 11:10 PM GMT
Mullins said last night a Leopardstown night that Quel and Mikael go for the RSA. No harm nrnb for the Arkle though. But don't touch the ap market on here.
Report Gashboy13 March 10, 2011 12:04 AM GMT
Cannot win either. Not the same horse as before. Ruby not remotely interested in riding him in RSA.
Report Luke01 March 10, 2011 7:33 AM GMT
Could become a great ride for Ruby for the Arkle. 1833 is his ride in the RSA.
Report kavvie March 10, 2011 8:48 AM GMT
at the same leopardstown forum as above ted walsh more or less rubbished 1833s chances..my feeling is that ruby will be on mdh..also got the vibe that pt will ride hurricane fly
Report Gashboy13 March 10, 2011 5:36 PM GMT
Can
not
win
anything
at
Report Gashboy13 March 10, 2011 5:39 PM GMT
Cheltenham
Report irish wizard March 10, 2011 8:05 PM GMT
wow....World Hurdle Maybe ???
Report eric_morris March 10, 2011 8:06 PM GMT
Who cares?
Report Gashboy13 March 10, 2011 8:09 PM GMT
Ok how about, can not win any chase at Cheltenham. Ever.
Report eric_morris March 10, 2011 8:09 PM GMT
In gaming terms the horse has become what is known as an 'Epic Fail'.
Report eric_morris March 10, 2011 8:11 PM GMT
over hurdles now also no doubt.
Report irish wizard March 10, 2011 8:25 PM GMT
seems somebody has backed him at biggish prices...
Report Gashboy13 March 10, 2011 8:34 PM GMT
what gets me is that people who claim to know about racing are claiming this to be the bet of the year at 14/1. Should be 50/1. unreal.
Report eric_morris March 10, 2011 8:36 PM GMT
irish wizard was it a journalist?
Report eric_morris March 10, 2011 8:37 PM GMT
..if it was they know fook all hence are journalists.
Report eric_morris March 10, 2011 8:44 PM GMT
They may have the inside line at times but still know fook all.
Report Harrys Mate March 10, 2011 10:02 PM GMT
MDH Sun Alliance hurdle form not worked out. Perhaps has been overrated.
Karabak certainly not shown the form he looked capable of.
Diamond Harry according to Nick Williams has improved a ton this year on his only run.
Report seary March 10, 2011 11:12 PM GMT
MDH sun alliance form looks strong imo..you look at the horses it  beat conbvinvly. They have all gone on to win graded races. Watching this race again..it seemed to me that MDH relished cheltenham...a stiff left handed track and if you look at his from closer all of his best runs have been on stiff tracks.

It just might be plain simple that he just doesnt like leopardstown!
We will see a totaly different beast at cheltenham...watch this space......................
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 12:14 AM GMT
bit of straw clutching there! just massively right handed, how is he going to win a top class chase?
Report Tavaris Jackson March 11, 2011 12:38 AM GMT
Bit hard to respect you opinion gashboy, it took you 6 posts to say "Can not win anything at Cheltenham".
Report sp83 March 11, 2011 12:41 AM GMT
To say that the form of MDH's Sun Alliance hasn't worked out is utter crap! Fair enough karabak seems to have not progressed as expected, but that can happen with horses. He was heavily fancied that day, as evidenced by a big gamble on him before the race. You saw what Diamond Harry did in the Hennessy. China Rock was 4th in last years Jewson and is a somewhat lively outsider for this year's Gold Cup. Knockara Beau was 4th in last year's Sun Alliance Chase, only beaten 7 lengths by Weapon's Amnesty (who would surely be a single figure price for this year's Gold Cup if not for injury). The Nightingale went off favourite for this year's Racing Post Chase. Realt Dubh is 4th favourite for this year's arkle and the winner of 2 grade 1s already this year). Mad Max would've gone close in last year's Arkle if not for a shuddering mistake 2 out. If you call that bad form, then you really haven't got a clue what you're talking about Harry's Mate
Report ilikewavingatbuses March 11, 2011 12:49 AM GMT
mikael was the outstanding novice that season he won the ballymore whick was a sh!t hot race. youre right he should be 50/1 but its too early to right him off completely as we've seen what hes done to really good horses! still the only horse to beat pandorama too! he was messsed about this year i think, he shouldnt even be going to the festival but on the same hand it wouldnt surprise me if everything just came together and he won, it not impossible! 14/1 tho, crazy!hes that purely on hurdles form and who trains him! i still cant get my head around his 1st run back tho when he 'fell'. he was cantering on the bridle against a pushed along jessies dream, like he was going to win that race so easily and then has disappointed since! he still maintains his ability imo but is unlikely to show it next week!id love to see him win tho!!

1833 is the horse i like personally!
Report Tavaris Jackson March 11, 2011 12:59 AM GMT
I doubt Ruby would pause for a second when given a choice between Mikael D'haguenet and Aiteen Thirtythree.
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 1:13 AM GMT
buses has summed it up nicely. 3/1 pulled up pls rather than 14/1 win.
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 1:18 AM GMT
haha that's class. Well tbf Ruby wouldn't get off Kauto, and Denman smashed him up a couple of times so he would be a loyal fellow.
Report buddeliea March 11, 2011 7:46 AM GMT
If Ruby chose 1833,i would be seriously worried about his mind.
Dont think either will win but Mikd will finish in front of 1833 imo,unless 1833 started the day before!!
Report the lay preacher March 11, 2011 8:15 AM GMT
mdh is an absolute star all that has happened is his cofidence got knocked after his fall.
dont forget he would have finished about 8/10 lengths clear of realt dubh that day .
whether he can regain his confidence is anyones guess
Report Masterminded March 11, 2011 9:17 AM GMT
you lot seriously under rate 1833 because of his hurdles form. madness. i would be surprised if ruby rode mikael over 1833 on chasing form.
Report Brooksielad March 11, 2011 9:36 AM GMT
lets be honest if standing up he'd of beat jessies dream easily on his first start, Think now he's been freshened up and on better ground he goes there with every chance. Personally i think you need that bit of speed to win this race, I can see 1833 getting badly outpaced when it hots up.
Report sintonian March 11, 2011 10:58 AM GMT
people getting carried away with what Ruby rides. He has missed 60% of the season and believe it or not will be out of touch.

He rides MDH at home because he thinks he is on a Ferrair, but when he gets to the race track he'll find he is on a banger
Report kavvie March 11, 2011 11:23 AM GMT
ted rubbished 1833 the other nite in leopardstown also..
Report eric_morris March 11, 2011 11:29 AM GMT
ted tipped quel esprit the nh chase as well.
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 11:48 AM GMT
Haha you lot are bananas. It cannot win a top class chase at Cheltenham. I'd also like to point out that that those of you who stone cold believe he would have beaten Jessies Dream are probably the ones who did their brains at 1.3 in running when he was on the bridle at Leopardstown last twice, only to find ZERO. If Paul Nicholls (who has trained most of the best staying chasers of the past generation) rates 1833, then people really should listen. He would know more about it than Ruby, who has split loyalties anyway.
Report Brooksielad March 11, 2011 12:00 PM GMT
Ok Mayweather
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 12:05 PM GMT
Don't compare me with that moron thank you. That is pathetic.
Report kavvie March 11, 2011 12:06 PM GMT
the mc said 1833 had won his 2 races by an aggregate of 67l...ted said he only beat 4 horses doing so...and the one that was capable of giving him a race fell while challenging..so basically the form amounts to nothing...teds words not mine...i personally think neither has a chance
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 12:07 PM GMT
The form may not amount to much on paper but if Denman beats 2 claimers by 100l does that mean he's no good?
Report kavvie March 11, 2011 12:21 PM GMT
as i said its not one of the races ive a strong opinion on..im just passing on what was said..
Report firstimevisor March 11, 2011 1:09 PM GMT
gashboy can i make 2 observations
1) you have laid mikael for sun alliance chase
2) you are very angry and worried for doing so

whatever it is,good luck anyway
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 3:41 PM GMT
I haven't laid him for a penny. Pricing up horses based on 2 year old form, with an injury and P53 in between, and not really displaying any of the attributes required to win a top class chase, and then ppl backing it and trying to argue its a good bet is literally stupid.
Report firstimevisor March 11, 2011 4:12 PM GMT
can't agree at all. he showed on his first run back that his ability is still there...would surely have won easily but for a novicy error at the last in the best novice chase run this year.
2nd run back was always going to be the tricky one coming so soon after a 20 month absence and sure enough he bounced,pure and simple.nothing for it but draw a line through it.
3rd run was more of a mystery.was tanking along till he clattered into the faller 3 out and then found nil.may have lost his action but no one knows.i suspect its just one of those things.
he may not jump round in a race where there are loads of casualties but if he does he will take some beating cos he's a serious serious horse.
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 4:20 PM GMT
glad i'm not your bank manager firstimevisor :-D why would he have beaten Jessies Dream? In the past 2 years the only times he's come off the bridle he's found nothing. He clearly works well because he gets backed when he runs and now they're running him at Chelt, where no doubt lunatics will back him again. I wouldn't back this at 33/1 let alone 14/1. But as I've said my nap is this thing with a big fat P next to his name on the morning of March 17th.
Report Gashboy13 March 11, 2011 4:21 PM GMT
Sorry I forgot to mention whether there is any evidence to suggest he actualyl stays 3 miles anyway. They don't know what to do with him so they are gambling.
Report seary March 11, 2011 10:35 PM GMT
If he can power up the cheltenham hill after a crueling 2m 5f...Then i think thats a very big indication he'll get 3 miles.
Report Luke01 March 12, 2011 7:46 AM GMT
Just think the Arkle he will line up in.
Report kavvie March 12, 2011 12:26 PM GMT
ruby rides 1833...a surprise?
Report Masterminded March 12, 2011 12:30 PM GMT
ruby rides 1833 and i think Mikael may line up in arkle.
Report sintonian March 12, 2011 12:33 PM GMT
no surprise really. How can you ride a hrose that has been beat three times in MDH ?
Report kavvie March 12, 2011 1:13 PM GMT
i suppose the public are going on what they saw in the past from the horse...destroying pandorama and other things...i think he may just have regressed..
Report eric_morris March 12, 2011 1:16 PM GMT
Sure to run in the World Hurdle imo. Says Quel Esprit is not good if he was only 3rd choice of Ruby's he will probably go Jewson now imo.
Report Brooksielad March 12, 2011 6:29 PM GMT
Im glad tbh Paul Townend going to make his name at this festival imo
Report BraveInca2006. March 12, 2011 6:30 PM GMT
Ruby will ride MDH over 1833. Thats a given.
Report BJG March 12, 2011 6:53 PM GMT
Ruby rides MDH - Jacob on 1833 ShockedShocked
Report Graeme83 March 12, 2011 7:02 PM GMT
I'll have a guess and say he doesn't want to distance himself too much from Mullins if he isn't riding Hurricane Fly. If he misses to many of Mullins horses he might lose the balancing of one of his two trainers. On the other hand it might enhance his chances on HF. Can't be easy trying to please both trainers and their connections.
Report BJG March 12, 2011 7:03 PM GMT
Why would it not be a surprise?
Report sintonian March 12, 2011 7:34 PM GMT
tbh, im a bit perplexed by that. When you have an owner syaing catergorically on TV Ruby rides his horse you'd assume the discussions have been had and decisions have been made.

rather incompetent imo but of course they are perfectly entitled to do so.
Report sintonian March 12, 2011 7:36 PM GMT
as for Paul Townend, he is 3/4 on Quel Esprit, and given Ruby has been out all season, it doesn;t make sense to put him on every winner. Paul Townend has done a lot of hardwork for Mullins this season, and im sure the trainer would want to award him with a Cheltenham winner.
Report ilikewavingatbuses March 12, 2011 7:44 PM GMT
be interesting how the horse runs for ruby!it souldnt make much diff but i think it will make some! hes my fav NH horse, i think he should be put away for the season personally!
Report eric_morris March 12, 2011 7:45 PM GMT
Is BJG making things up again he never posts links?
Report eric_morris March 12, 2011 7:46 PM GMT
Has anyone seen BJG and Mullins in the same room before?
Report BJG March 12, 2011 7:47 PM GMT
Again?? Do expand - cheers
Report eric_morris March 12, 2011 7:53 PM GMT
So no link?
Report sintonian March 12, 2011 7:57 PM GMT
sporting life
Report BJG March 12, 2011 7:59 PM GMT
Daryl Jacob looks like picking up the exciting ride on Aiteen Thirtythree in Wednesday's RSA Chase at Cheltenham.

Earlier in the day part-owner Andy Stewart had hoped Ruby Walsh would be on board but trainer Paul Nicholls, speaking at a Paddy Power-sponsored preview after racing at Sandown, revealed that Walsh was more likely to be on Mikael D'Haguenet.

Walsh partnered Willie Mullins' chaser to victory at the Festival in 2009 and it appears a partnership he wants to keep intact.

"I think Ruby is going to ride Mikael D'Haguenet. It's one we've still got to sort out, but he's won on him before and I think Willie would like him to ride. If he does then Daryl Jacob will ride Aiteen Thirtythree," said Nicholls.

There ydc

BJG Joined: 20 Aug 07
Replies: 16354 12 Mar 11 19:47 
Again?? Do expand - cheers
Report eric_morris March 12, 2011 8:06 PM GMT
Ok I will let you off this time BJG .. thanks.

Did no-one else pick up signals from Nicholls and Walsh the last couple of days?
Report sintonian March 12, 2011 8:07 PM GMT
smoke signals ?
Report unitedbiscuits March 13, 2011 2:26 PM GMT
not for me
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com