Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Somerset Sam
09 Jul 21 10:11
| Topic/replies: 1,244 | Blogger: Somerset Sam's blog
Reading up on the various ailments of horses and seeing those in the topic heading being mentioned more and more frequently in catalogues.

Does the knowledge bank on here think that these traits are hereditary, can they be cured in anyway and more importantly would they put people off buying an otherwise attractive filly or mare?

Cheers.
Pause Switch to Standard View Weavers, crib biters and windsuckers
Show More
Report Formtwist July 9, 2021 1:57 PM BST
Apart from the catalogue it is essential to keep ears open in the ring as the auctioneer will frequently announce such issues not printed in the catalogue. It can be hereditary - often associated with digestive difficulty, born of boredom in a stabled environment without turnout, or copied by one horse from another. Personally, I would not buy a filly / mare that weaved. I have bought a windsucker mare - she and her offspring were the cleanest winded horses you could wish for. You can stop it with a strap / headcollar device which I did for the duration of her time with a foal until after weaning to stop the foal imitating the behaviour. Otherwise I left her to do it if she wished. Only two of her more than a dozen foals did it, both colts, and her fillies have not bred any with a stable vice as these things are termed.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com